HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buy-Out Period

Old
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Buy-Out Period

With the buy-out period beginning soon, I figured we might as well get this thing rolling. Via NHL.com: "The buyout period starts June 15 or 48 hours after the completion of the Stanley Cup Final, and runs through June 30."

So I guess that means Friday....correct me if I'm wrong.

Possible buyouts for the Preds:

Dumont
Lombardi
Boullion

anyone else?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Id buy out Dumont, not Lombardi if we think he will return at any point. Hes a good player to have

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Dumont unless someone is crazy enough to trade for him (Buffalo)
Bouillon just because it would be a cheap buyout and would open room for Josi/Ellis. I would much rather trade him for a pick. A 7th is just as deadly to Poile as a 1st is.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Dumont unless someone is crazy enough to trade for him (Buffalo)
Bouillon just because it would be a cheap buyout and would open room for Josi/Ellis. I would much rather trade him for a pick. A 7th is just as deadly to Poile as a 1st is.
On a weird, un-related note, I think Poile should trade our 6th every year for another team's 7th. Win/Win for both teams.

Do you think the preds bite on a bought out player of another team if they come cheap enough? Chris Drury type?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
token grinder

I think it is wishful thinking here. Unless they know lombardi is done, I don't think he gets bought out. Cube makes little sense unless he is done with hockey since he has a year left. And I think we can still get a little something out of dumont to a team like the islanders, panthers, etc, who need to hit the cap floor.

I think most of you are going to be disappointed.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:24 PM
RaiderDoug

Dumont - I still think he has something left, but since we don't play him, there's no need to have him around. I could see him being bought out.

Boullion - he's a solid bottom pairing D if healthy, I think he comes back.

Lombardi - this guy is the perfect Predator when healthy. I think Poile and Trotz want him around and unless he is completely finished and not even bothering to make a comeback, we wait on him.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think it is wishful thinking here. Unless they know lombardi is done, I don't think he gets bought out. Cube makes little sense unless he is done with hockey since he has a year left. And I think we can still get a little something out of dumont to a team like the islanders, panthers, etc, who need to hit the cap floor.

I think most of you are going to be disappointed.
Sounds more like good news to me.

If some of these players are bought out, are there players needing the roster space? Generally, contracts aren't bought out unless it's a last resort for that spot needing to be filled.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:07 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I have asked this before and never received and answer

does anyone know if teams are actually allowed to buy out players who are on LTIR?

I know from a players standpoint it would be unfair. If Im injured and dont know if I will ever be able to get another contract I dont want 2/3 of what I am owed, i want it all.

An uninjured player who is bought out can at least try to find another job.

We dont have enough tied up in Bouillon to warrant buying him out. he's good enough that we can just hope he returns.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Sounds more like good news to me.

If some of these players are bought out, are there players needing the roster space? Generally, contracts aren't bought out unless it's a last resort for that spot needing to be filled.
Dumont being bought out both clears a roster space and frees up $2.7 million in actual dollars for next year (of course it adds 1.3 million for the following year, too)

Old
06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think a buyout of Lombardi is harsh only because it would be spread out over 4 years Dumont and Bouillon are tolerable because it would be only two years at moderate prices. (Dumont: 1,333,334. Bouillon: 300,000 & 500,000)

Old
06-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Dumont being bought out both clears a roster space and frees up $2.7 million in actual dollars for next year (of course it adds 1.3 million for the following year, too)
The actual dollars are paid at once. So it only frees up 1.3 this year, it is the cap hit that is spread out.

Really, I am not expecting us to do anything except watch for any free agents. Buyouts really are only useful for a VERY expensive player or teams that are struggling with the salary cap issues. In Dumont's situation we can either keep him get a player for 1.3M and I even as far as JP has fallen there would not be much we can get for that money that would be better than him. Now if Lombardi's career is done, I can see him being bought out because that would save some money and he would never play anyways but if he can come back I don't see Poile taking the chance and getting rid of him. Boullion will likely be able to come back and he does provide a veteran presence on the blueline so will not be bought out.

Last edited by Webersmashpuck: 06-15-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:48 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I have asked this before and never received and answer

does anyone know if teams are actually allowed to buy out players who are on LTIR?

I know from a players standpoint it would be unfair. If Im injured and dont know if I will ever be able to get another contract I dont want 2/3 of what I am owed, i want it all.

An uninjured player who is bought out can at least try to find another job.

We dont have enough tied up in Bouillon to warrant buying him out. he's good enough that we can just hope he returns.
As far as I know a player can only be on LTIR during the season. Once the season is over no one is on injured reserve, therefore it doesn't matter what the rule is. I could be wrong, but it seems like that's what I've read before.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
The actual dollars are paid at once. So it only frees up 1.3 this year, it is the cap hit that is spread out.

Really, I am not expecting us to do anything except watch for any free agents. Buyouts really are only useful for a VERY expensive player or teams that are struggling with the salary cap issues. In Dumont's situation we can either keep him get a player for 1.3M and I even as far as JP has fallen there would not be much we can get for that money that would be better than him. Now if Lombardi's career is done, I can see him being bought out because that would save some money and he would never play anyways but if he can come back I don't see Poile taking the chance and getting rid of him. Boullion will likely be able to come back and he does provide a veteran presence on the blueline so will not be bought out.
are you certain about the dollars being paid out all at once?

If thats the case I agree there really isnt much reason to buy JP out. For the 1.3 mil cash it would save he is at least valuable depth in case of injuries.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Legionnaire11

Something has to make sense about a Dumont buyout, every time Poile has been asked about it since the end of the season he has all but said he will definitely buy out the contract.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
are you certain about the dollars being paid out all at once?

If thats the case I agree there really isnt much reason to buy JP out. For the 1.3 mil cash it would save he is at least valuable depth in case of injuries.
The money might be paid out all at once, but the cap hit is spread out. I guess the question is, how does that play into real salary? Is the real salary spread out, too, or do they lump it all together since it's paid out all at once? I'd imagine they spread it out, but what do I know? I don't think the Preds have ever bought anyone out

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...andidates.html

JP at #3

Old
06-16-2011, 02:44 PM
weeze

How does JP go from being one of most consistant scorers with an avg of 53.4 Pts per season for the past 5 yrs and avg playing 77.6 games per season to sitting the bench, playing very few min and being a healthy scratch for some games including playoffs. Unless he has totally fallen off the face of the earth, doesn't make much sense to me.

The guy has shone very good scoring ability, until this yr. What happened. He played in 70 games and had 19 pts. I know it is a bad scoring yr for him, historically, but who says he couldn't come back with anoth 50+ pt for next yr (which would lead us in scoring). Is he that bad of a team player? It must be something...

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
How does JP go from being one of most consistant scorers with an avg of 53.4 Pts per season for the past 5 yrs and avg playing 77.6 games per season to sitting the bench, playing very few min and being a healthy scratch for some games including playoffs. Unless he has totally fallen off the face of the earth, doesn't make much sense to me.

The guy has shone very good scoring ability, until this yr. What happened. He played in 70 games and had 19 pts. I know it is a bad scoring yr for him, historically, but who says he couldn't come back with anoth 50+ pt for next yr (which would lead us in scoring). Is he that bad of a team player? It must be something...
Was concussed by that POS Burrows a couple of seasons back and hasnt been the same player since...

he is actually an exemplary team player and has handled the demotion/loss of ice time with class and dignity

Old
06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
SavageSteve

Quote:

JP's never been quite right since this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lK0GWEVzQw

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
JP's never been quite right since this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lK0GWEVzQw
Thank GOD Boston won the cup. Thank ****in' god. Made that little ***** cry. Thats why you didn't win because you won't win the cup being a cheap little ****er and biting peoples hands burrows you little ****less,
****-less piece of ****.

Yeah I'm still pissed about that hit. **** you Burrows.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkIfYourHornqvist View Post
Thank GOD Boston won the cup. Thank ****in' god. Made that little ***** cry. Thats why you didn't win because you won't win the cup being a cheap little ****er and biting peoples hands burrows you little ****less,
****-less piece of ****.

Yeah I'm still pissed about that hit. **** you Burrows.

how do you really feel?

(I agree btw... was loving watching him cry on the ice...)

Old
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
token grinder

Quote:

couple things, maybe three.

yes the burrow hit may have something to do with it

the turn from a more attacking system to a more conservative one. not a trap since we ran a two forecheck, but one that requires wheels.

father time

Old
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
weeze

I knew there was more to hate about those damn Nucks more than them knocking us out of the playoffs! The sissy twins and K boy, sooooo glad they lost.

Also, I have heard of rioting when you win a Championship but never when you lose one. They must get their paper from the same place the Miami Heat do

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
token grinder

these guys would have to be put on waivers by noon eastern so they can be bought out. lombardi and cube cannot be bought out since they are injured, at least from what i understand with the whole drury situation.

Old
06-18-2011, 01:33 AM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Lombardi's a great player to have. I'm still bitter that Sutter traded him away. When paired with the right linemates, he can really tear $#!+ up.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote