Notices

General OT Thread #5: "Demonstration On Popping A Cherry" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Yeah it seems like I'm going to have to run component cables. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to pass the audio through without too much trouble. What a PITA. Right now it's working okay as I disabled 1080p and enabled 1080i and it seems like it's able to establish that connection a little more reliably. From what I've read I either need to have a Sony TV or some people have had luck buying external HDCP compliant splitters which link up better with the PS3.

Who knew that Microsoft was actually LESS of a ***** when it came to piracy?

As for the woman, there's a golden rule:

A. Beautiful
B. Intelligent
C. Mentally Stable

Pick two.

For the record, I've always eschewed C. Although sometimes with booze I've also let A and B slide as well.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

A. Beautiful
B. Intelligent
C. Mentally Stable

Pick two.
This wins.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:02 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Well, shrimp finally kicked the bucket. Here he was when he wasn't all dead and stuff.

RIP

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Yeah it seems like I'm going to have to run component cables. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to pass the audio through without too much trouble. What a PITA. Right now it's working okay as I disabled 1080p and enabled 1080i and it seems like it's able to establish that connection a little more reliably. From what I've read I either need to have a Sony TV or some people have had luck buying external HDCP compliant splitters which link up better with the PS3.

Who knew that Microsoft was actually LESS of a ***** when it came to piracy?

A. Beautiful
B. Intelligent
C. Mentally Stable

Pick two.

For the record, I've always eschewed C. Although sometimes with booze I've also let A and B slide as well.
Yeah I keep picking A & B although that has been changing with the last couple GFs. It's nice to know at a certain point (thinking age 22 or 23) that girls also mature and get more mentally stable.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?

Last edited by GopherState: 06-15-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Meant picking the crazies
Old
06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I hedged my bets with the fiancee that she'd stabilize, but in reality I just keep uncovering more and more layers of crazy.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Old
06-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:

A. Beautiful
B. Intelligent
C. Mentally Stable

Pick two.

Ha. Before my current girlfriend I had a nasty habit of picking girls that were A and B. The hot girls who know how to play the game like we do drive me crazy... in the good and bad way. Eh, better than a bimbo that you can't hold a conversation with I guess.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Jesus Christ I hate technology. Why can't Apple just make everything?
Screw apple! I want NOTHING to do with anything they make!

Old
06-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Amen!

Old
06-15-2011, 01:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Amen!
allahu akbar!

Their laptops are pretty, but for the price you can get a similar spec'd Windows machine the first year, then get a new (upgraded) one the next two instead of wallowing around wishing you had waited just a couple more months for the mm thinner version of the Air.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I just logged onto my Facebook and I just read the most .... interesting thing I've seen on there in a while. I'm not sure how to react to this. Pics will be up shortly. (Possibly NSFW)

So this girl (best looking asian I know):

posted this:

ask to see her bits. otherwise, it's a trap.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
allahu akbar!

Their laptops are pretty, but for the price you can get a similar spec'd Windows machine the first year, then get a new (upgraded) one the next two instead of wallowing around wishing you had waited just a couple more months for the mm thinner version of the Air.

Why would you buy a computer with the express intention of throwing it out in a year? If you can live with having a computer that's slightly thicker and slower than the newest model but still works basically flawlessly, an Apple laptop will last you a long time––in my experience, generally longer than a comparable Windows laptop, but that's entirely anecdotal.

For me, the pricing gap isn't accurate because comparing specs never includes quality of software. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious "switch" ad snobs, but seriously I can't see myself ever buying another piece of hardware that only runs Windows. It's such a horrible operating system.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Quote:
Amen!
Boo-urns. Love my Mac.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Why would you buy a computer with the express intention of throwing it out in a year? If you can live with having a computer that's slightly thicker and slower than the newest model but still works basically flawlessly, an Apple laptop will last you a long time––in my experience, generally longer than a comparable Windows laptop, but that's entirely anecdotal.

For me, the pricing gap isn't accurate because comparing specs never includes quality of software. I don't want to be one of those obnoxious "switch" ad snobs, but seriously I can't see myself ever buying another piece of hardware that only runs Windows. It's such a horrible operating system.
okay, then. for 1/3 the price or less you can get a windows laptop and have a couple thousand extra to make a down payment on a new car. Apple is great in that when something does go wrong you can just walk into the apple store and elbow your way through a wall of hipsters to talk to an uber hipster. you can run apple OS's on windows btw.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
okay, then. for 1/3 the price or less you can get a windows laptop and have a couple thousand extra to make a down payment on a new car. Apple is great in that when something does go wrong you can just walk into the apple store and elbow your way through a wall of hipsters to talk to an uber hipster. you can run apple OS's on windows btw.
I suppose they do the same type of thing at the Windows store now too? I can't say since I've never been in there...or had to go there for anything.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
I suppose they do the same type of thing at the Windows store now too? I can't say since I've never been in there...or had to go there for anything.
i've never had a problem with a windows computer i couldn't fix myself. to be fair, i know a few people who have used Apples Geniuses or whatever but those people probably could have fixed their problems themselves if they bothered researching a little on the internet. I don't think either is particularly prone to breakage.

If you don't think that Apples prices aren't jacked up a fair amount just for the label, god help you. I'm not criticizing Apple--it makes great sense. Adds with hip music, shiny bright colors=loyal following.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

I bit the bullet a couple months ago and went with a MacBook Pro vs. getting another Windows laptop. I'm definitely loving the MacBook, mostly because it just feels like it's made better. I've had one Windows laptop last me longer than 2 years, and that one cost more than the MacBook I just bought (granted, prices have come down since 2005). If I ever get nostalgic for Windows I can always install in on my Mac, but so far, I'm happy with my decision to switch to the dark side.

Last edited by Engebretson: 06-15-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old
06-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just to throw a fun flare into the bonfire, I bought a Macbook on clearance back in 2006 for $900. I sold it three years later for $600 on Craigslist. I was shopping for a laptop a few months back and they were still going for $500-600. Same exact model.

I was a PC fanboy for years until I worked for Geek Squad and got sick of wrenching on computers. Went Apple and didn't look back.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

yeah, my Mac hatred is more ornamental than anything. Still a huge waste of money for someone who wants to upgrade every year. BUT very logical decision if you want to integrate everything, as PC **** is all over the place as far as software and even OS's used trying to get along. For instance, i bought a network drive that runs on a Linux shell and i had to **** with it a lot to get it to play with my other network drive and computer.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Just to throw a fun flare into the bonfire, I bought a Macbook on clearance back in 2006 for $900. I sold it three years later for $600 on Craigslist. I was shopping for a laptop a few months back and they were still going for $500-600. Same exact model.

I was a PC fanboy for years until I worked for Geek Squad and got sick of wrenching on computers. Went Apple and didn't look back.
that's because of the name. people are buying those for their 8 year olds just so they can have an Apple. I know, because my Sister in law is one of them.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

I mostly avoided buying a Mac because I hated those "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" commercials. I swore I'd dropkick Justin Long if I ever met him in person...

Old
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's holding on to the value more than anything. I can't imagine a PC only depreciating 50% in 5 years.

I also wouldn't upgrade every year, no point in that. Six year old Macs that were released on the Intel platform can still run pretty much anything that's released today. The pre-Intel stuff is not worth touching but the Intel Macs are great.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Yup. This MacBook Pro is right around its second birthday, and it runs everything, including some fairly demanding graphical stuff like Photoshop CS5 or Portal 2, flawlessly. I fully expect it to last me at least another two years. And I expect I'll be able to sell it for quite a bit.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
It's holding on to the value more than anything. I can't imagine a PC only depreciating 50% in 5 years.

I also wouldn't upgrade every year, no point in that. Six year old Macs that have had frequent OS X upgrades that were released on the Intel platform can still run pretty much anything that's released today. The pre-Intel stuff is not worth touching but the Intel Macs are great.
Bolded is my only non-gamer complaint. And it's the only spot - other than a much more open source stance - where Windows just blows Apple out of the water. Otherwise, they're a lot closer than people give either side credit for.

Apple doesn't support 10.4 anymore, it's ~6 years old. Windows still basically supports XP, it's ~10 years old. It's REALLY fun trying to explain to someone that their fancy new iphone won't work unless they upgrade their operating system...

Old
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well $30 to upgrade to Snow Leopard isn't bad at all IMO, if you had a six year old computer.

I'm not a PC hater by any means, I just find them clunky compared to Macs. Both have more than enough open source software to make me happy. I just think the value is a lot closer than people give them credit.

Closed Thread