HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk V3.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 10:02 PM
Roke

vCash: 500
First, keep in mind I know almost nothing about prospects though my philosophy in first-round drafting would be "draft for top-6forward/top-4dman upside and never draft a goaltender.

Second, I've only read back about 5 pages or so, but is there any love for Matt Puempel? Put up good numbers on a bad team despite having mono at one point and a freak injury, his NHLE totals (regular season +playoff) weren't all that far behind Landeskog.

It's a lot harder to look at prospects without having watch the games, what with the poor quality of statistics. Most of you know better than I do, so what do you think?

Also, if you don't mind, thoughts on Brodin? I'd prefer a forward but if he were available when the Habs pick I wouldn't mind him being picked based upon what little I've read.

Last edited by Roke: 06-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old
06-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
First, keep in mind I know almost nothing about prospects though my philosophy in first-round drafting would be "draft for top-6forward/top-4dman upside and never draft a goaltender.

Second, I've only read back about 5 pages or so, but is there any love for Matt Puempel? Put up good numbers on a bad team despite having mono at one point and a freak injury, his NHLE totals (regular season +playoff) weren't all that far behind Landeskog.

It's a lot harder to look at prospects without having watch the games, what with the poor quality of statistics. Most of you know better than I do, so what do you think?

Also, if you don't mind, thoughts on Brodin? I'd prefer a forward but if he were available when the Habs pick I wouldn't mind him being picked based upon what little I've read.
Based on stats, and knowing as much about prospects as you probably, I'd love to draft him. Everything I've read makes him sound like a bigger Cammalleri. The hype around him has kind of died the last month or so though so I'm not sure what other people still think.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:41 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post

Jonas Brodin, a very intelligent and hard-working two-way/defensive d-man. Not a big potential but he can became a solid d-man like Josh Gorges. He isn't mean but he isn't affraid with the physical game.

Matt Puempel has probably the best shot of this entire draft. He is really underrated here. We can read a lot of crap about this player like: he is soft, he is just a goal scorer, he is bad defensively. In fact, he has a good work-ethic but he is average defensively (if we compare Matthew with Phillip Danault). He isn't affraid to go in the corner and on the front of the net. He has a great slap shot and one-timer, a true sniper. The comparison with Cammalleri isn't bad. He has top line potential but had injury problem. IMO, he is a safe pick. He is exactly what Montréal need: an offensive foward.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:30 AM
jwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Jonas Brodin, a very intelligent and hard-working two-way/defensive d-man. Not a big potential but he can became a solid d-man like Josh Gorges. He isn't mean but he isn't affraid with the physical game.

Matt Puempel has probably the best shot of this entire draft. He is really underrated here. We can read a lot of crap about this player like: he is soft, he is just a goal scorer, he is bad defensively. In fact, he has a good work-ethic but he is average defensively (if we compare Matthew with Phillip Danault). He isn't affraid to go in the corner and on the front of the net. He has a great slap shot and one-timer, a true sniper. The comparison with Cammalleri isn't bad. He has top line potential but had injury problem. IMO, he is a safe pick. He is exactly what Montréal need: an offensive foward.
If so, why doesn't he get the same scouting hype as some of the other pure goal scorers like Armia and Bartschi?

Old
06-15-2011, 05:05 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
If so, why doesn't he get the same scouting hype as some of the other pure goal scorers like Armia and Bartschi?
He was. Until he got that hip injury that ended his season early.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:42 AM
WestIslander

I think we need to take one of the following players:

Mika Zibanejad

Quote:
NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb

"Mika's a real power forward but also has soft hands, good vision and fine skating skills. He has tremendous balance and is hard to knock off the puck. He's very strong in the battles along the boards, finishes checks with authority and has a heavy shot that he gets off quickly. Mika's a competitive player who is willing to pay the price to score a goal. He does have a very good understanding of his defensive duties."
Tyler Biggs

Quote:
NHL Central Scouting's Jack Barzee

“He has that leadership quality … that desire, that passion, that competitiveness. He just never quits. He's a young player who has taken the role as leader of his team. He does most of their fighting when they have to fight. He's kind of the guy that when someone starts picking on somebody, he's standing up for them. I think while wearing the 'C' may have taken a little away from his offensive finish, my gut feeling is that I can't think of anything else but an uphill path for Tyler."

U.S. Under-18 head coach Ron Rolston

“He's a big, strong kid and is an extreme character player. He skates well and is physical and tough. He shoots and attacks the net well with or without the puck. He's certainly someone on our team who's a physical presence, and he makes room for a lot of our skilled players.”
Mark McNeill

Quote:
NHL Central Scouting’s Blair MacDonald

“One thing I like about him is that he's a right-handed center, which is good to have. He's really composed and has a real pro-style game. He has a nice touch, can dish, and has nice, soft passes. His on-ice awareness is very good and he's paid attention to detail at both ends of the rink. He has good defensive-zone coverage as well as being offensive at the other end. All around I think he's got a real solid game I think his offensive game will improve the older he gets and the more confident he gets. I think he'll be a better offensive player than he's showing right now. He's good at both ends of the rink. He comes down low and helps out defensively.”

Port McNeil GM Bruno Campese

“He's one of those kids that has the ability to do so many different things, he's got so much upside to him. ... He's a powerful skater and has great hockey sense. He's got very good basic skills and he's got the ability to be a real tough person to play against. He's got the mental capabilities to understand the game as well . . . I really believe he has all the attributes. He's got certain gifts that other players just don't have. That really bodes well for playing in the NHL.”
Jamieson Oleksiak

Quote:
Talent Analysis

Oleksiak is a defenseman that possesses a really nice blend of size, physicality and outstanding puck skills. While much has been said of his size and physical side, what is most impressive about Oleksiak is his superb agility and athleticism. He moves remarkably well for such a big man, skating with long, fluid strides. He also maintains very good balance on his skates as well.

Although he possesses some good foot speed, the quickness and sharpness of turns and pivots maybe Oleksiak's greatest weakness. And it is something that he readily admits and continues to work diligently to improve.

"Two of the big things that I'm working on are having fast feet down low in our zone as well as on my lateral movement. I've done a lot of skating sessions after practice. I'd stay on the ice with the coaches and just work on pivots or do some tight turns. I think my agility and fast feet are coming along. They're things that I really pride myself on and am continuing to work on and do the best that I can."

Oleksiak uses his size, strength and reach quite advantageously, and can also deliver some punishing hits as well. He possesses a good, active stick and contains opposing players quite well. One notable improvement that Oleksiak has made as the season has gone along has been in his gap control. As he continues to fill out his enormous frame and hone his skills, they will both go a long way to making him an even more dominating presence.

One attribute that separates Oleksiak from many other young defensemen in the college game is his decision-making process. Whether he is delivering a check or jumping into plays, Oleksiak can rarely be found out of position when doing so. And as Laplante explains, it is also one of Oleksiak's most underrated qualities as well.

"I think two of the most underrated aspects of Jamie's game have to be his offensive potential and ability to know when to rush. He's not one of those guys that will rush at every opportunity. Jamie picks his spots and usually makes the right decision when to join and not to join. He's also really good at knowing when to pull back as well."

Some view Oleksiak as a stay-at-home type of defenseman, but the great hands and puck skills that he possesses could see him potentially blossom into a very solid two-way defenseman. He displays great poise and patience with the puck and distributes the puck quite efficiently. Oleksiak possesses a terrific shot and can get his shots through to the net. He also has very good on-ice vision and follows plays quite well. He isn't likely to become a top scoring defenseman, Oleksiak does have good offensive instincts and the ability to finish plays.

Oleksiak lists Zdeno Chara and Chris Pronger among his favorite NHL players, and patterns his style of play after the player that he has drawn the most comparisons to.

"Zdeno Chara is the kind of guy that I think I'd like to pattern myself after. He's a big, physical defenseman that can shut down the other team, but also can make an impact in both the neutral and offensive zones by getting hard shots to the net, making smart plays and getting the puck to the forwards. I think he plays a steady, impactful game and I'd like to be able to do the same."

So how does Oleksiak describe himself?

"I think I'm a defensive defenseman. I make a good first pass out of the zone and play a very physical game. I'm good in front of the net and don't give opposing forwards any easy ice. I think I have the ability to move the puck pretty well on the offensive blue line and get shots through to the net. I also think that I have pretty good puck-moving skills too."

Last edited by WestIslander: 06-15-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

This is a horse that's been beaten to death already, but Biggs' upside is not high enough to justify taking him at #17, un less you feel that he will magically develop a scoring touch. He dominates against guys his age partially because he's bigger and stronger than them, but at the NHL level, there are a ton of guys 6'2" 210lbs and size/strength alone won't get it done most times. I like his physical game and mean streak...but guys like that you draft as projects in rounds 3-4-5-6-7 like White, Conboy etc

Olekisiak is a similar situation, he has some upside as he is a better puckhandler than most guys his size, so he isn't a stiff with the puck, maybe he can be a dominant shutdown guy plus add a bit of offense. I would take him before Biggs as long as his footwork can improve.

Old
06-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
This is a horse that's been beaten to death already, but Biggs' upside is not high enough to justify taking him at #17, un less you feel that he will magically develop a scoring touch. He dominates against guys his age partially because he's bigger and stronger than them, but at the NHL level, there are a ton of guys 6'2" 210lbs and size/strength alone won't get it done most times. I like his physical game and mean streak...but guys like that you draft as projects in rounds 3-4-5-6-7 like White, Conboy etc

Olekisiak is a similar situation, he has some upside as he is a better puckhandler than most guys his size, so he isn't a stiff with the puck, maybe he can be a dominant shutdown guy plus add a bit of offense. I would take him before Biggs as long as his footwork can improve.
Yeah Biggs could be another Colton Gillies. He'll be a NHLer at some point, but probably not one worthy of a first round selection.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Maxpac

One of my friends told me yesterday thathe thinks it's prety much a given that we draft Niklas Jensen unless Beaulieu is still arounda 17th, which he highly doubts. At 6'2, right winger and the Danish connection, I think he could be right...

Last edited by Maxpac: 06-15-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old
06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
One of my friends told me yesterday thathe thinks it's prety much a given that we draft Ryan Jensen unless Beaulieu is still arounda 17th, which he highly doubts. At 6'2, right winger and the Danish connection, I think he could be right...
Nicklas Jensen, you mean.

Wouldn't be a bad pick at 17, depending who's left.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Nicklas Jensen, you mean.

Wouldn't be a bad pick at 17, depending who's left.
Who's the players you absolutely want before Jensen?

Old
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
One of my friends told me yesterday thathe thinks it's prety much a given that we draft Niklas Jensen unless Beaulieu is still arounda 17th, which he highly doubts. At 6'2, right winger and the Danish connection, I think he could be right...
The knock on Jensen is that his compete level is lacking, not sure that is something Timmins will overlook, there are other big skilled guys he would take ahead of him.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:58 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Scheifele, Miller, Grimaldi, Klefbom, Beaulieu just to name a few.

EDIT : Jaskins

Old
06-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Realistically speaking, if the Habs stay at #17; McNeill or Scheifele.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
For me...McNeill Scheifele Beaulieu Klefblom Armia Miller and Puempel. I doubt they are all gone by #17. Maybe Grimaldi...

Old
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Roulin

RLR and ISS both have Jensen at #22, which seems about right to me. I wouldn't hate the pick if we trade down and add a 2nd rounder.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
RLR and ISS both have Jensen at #22, which seems about right to me. I wouldn't hate the pick if we trade down and add a 2nd rounder.
I've heard from a few people with connections to scouts that none of them would be surprised to see Jensen go MUCH higher than where he's listed.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've heard from a few people with connections to scouts that none of them would be surprised to see Jensen go MUCH higher than where he's listed.
It depends if the team is all about drafting skill or if grit and intensity is a big factor.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Doesn't mean he'll go there.

Teams compile their own list. Just look at how Timmins and co had Leblanc ranked 9th.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
It depends if the team is all about drafting skill or if grit and intensity is a big factor.
Well, imo we need to go after skill with our first round pick. People forget that last year was Jensen's first in North America, and he didn't get as much ice time as he would have had he not been on such a stacked team. Kid has serious skill and fantastic skating. Some have even said he's the best Dane ever. I doubt he'll be better than Eller, but if he is, he's a steal at 17.

I do think trading down 3-4 spots would be ideal, however. I'd look to get a mid/late second and draft a guy like edmunson.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Doesn't mean he'll go there.

Teams compile their own list. Just look at how Timmins and co had Leblanc ranked 9th.
Red line had him at #10 or 11 and he went at #18.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Red line had him at #10 or 11 and he went at #18.
Yeah, but what other players did they have further back that went higher than expected ?

My point is pretty much saying Montréal may have thought Leblanc was 9th overall, but, say Anaheim could have thought he was 5th, Detroit 26th, Ottawa 20th, Rangers 32nd.

It all really matters on what the teams think. If Montréal trades the 17th to go to 20th. Then Chicago could draft him.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yeah, but what other players did they have further back that went higher than expected ?

My point is pretty much saying Montréal may have thought Leblanc was 9th overall, but, say Anaheim could have thought he was 5th, Detroit 26th, Ottawa 20th, Rangers 32nd.

It all really matters on what the teams think. If Montréal trades the 17th to go to 20th. Then Chicago could draft him.
Yeah not disagreeing with you on that.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Is there a chance that Tyler Biggs come play in the OHL or WHL next season?

Old
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
FrankMTL

Jensen looks like a very smooth skater...although not really fast per say. Seems to have decent skill as well. Could be a good pick.

Edit

His teammate and first round propect Boone Jenner has a very choppy stride in comparison...he's an ugly skater!

Last edited by FrankMTL: 06-15-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Closed Thread