HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danglers?

Old
06-15-2011, 03:19 AM
cenas*

vCash: 500
Joel Armia?

Anyone who has seen him play knows he is not a power forward.. he is just a big guy with great hands (and I'm not saying he is soft, just not a PF).

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:06 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I love Hemsky and it's a shame he's so brittle now. Such a talent.

I don't think we need a dangler as much as we just need someone who can score. Though I would love somebody who could deke people out of their sweaters when it's NOT the shootout.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Is "deke master" better? Cause that's the only other name I could think of calling it.
How about lazy...

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Is "deke master" better? Cause that's the only other name I could think of calling it.
lol, I never used this word growing up watching & playing hockey. We always referred to it as stick-handling and in the case of pulling moves on the goalie 1 on 1, deke-ing. Since joining hfboards, I've pretty much seen fans label every type of conceivable move with the puck a "dangle". Dangle this, dangle that, etc. Initially I thought it was a term that was reserved for when you hold the puck out there in shooting position, and then pull & curl it back in with the toe of your blade to elude a defender's stick and make a your move (more or less dangling the puck out there for the taking), but apparently it's used for any type of stick work with the puck. Call it a pet peeve but I find it unnerving.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Yeah those Jurco videos were not dangles. a simple forehand-backhand move is called a deke.

Any move less than this is a deke.

You dangle through defense, you deke past goalies but yeah the Rangers lack players with above average 1 on 1 skills.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:45 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

On the subject of stick handling, I have a question. How come more forwards don't put pucks through the gap between the defensemen's blades & skates while entering the zone & stick handling? I know the common reply is that the defensemen is supposed to play the man, and take the body, but we all know that doesn't always happen. It can be a very effective move to push the puck through that gap/opening to get by a defensemen. It's particularly effective when the forward has more speed than the back-skating defenseman, or when the forward has the defenseman headed one direction of the ice, and pushes the puck the opposite direction to create separation and catch the opposing player a bit flat-footed. You see some of these defensemen out on the ice with their sticks sprawled out in front of them on their backhand and I always wonder why more forwards don't attempt this move. It's really not that risky of a move because you don't have to be up close and personal with the defensemen when you pull it off. It's not nearly as risky as trying to put the puck through a defenseman's legs or trying to drag the puck around a defenseman while avoiding being hit.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
On the subject of stick handling, I have a question. How come more forwards don't put pucks through the gap between the defensemen's blades & skates while entering the zone & stick handling? I know the common reply is that the defensemen is supposed to play the man, and take the body, but we all know that doesn't always happen. It can be a very effective move to push the puck through that gap/opening to get by a defensemen. It's particularly effective when the forward has more speed than the back-skating defenseman, or when the forward has the defenseman headed one direction of the ice, and pushes the puck the opposite direction to create separation and catch the opposing player a bit flat-footed. You see some of these defensemen out on the ice with their sticks sprawled out in front of them on their backhand and I always wonder why more forwards don't attempt this move. It's really not that risky of a move because you don't have to be up close and personal with the defensemen when you pull it off. It's not nearly as risky as trying to put the puck through a defenseman's legs or trying to drag the puck around a defenseman while avoiding being hit.

Most NHL defensemen have pretty quick feet, the gap between skates is small and easy to defend if the D-man is aware of it all they have to do is kick at the puck. So you see a lot of guys push the puck away from themselves and then wiggle around the flat footed D-man who if he is playing correctly will ignore the puck and try push the forward away.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Most NHL defensemen have pretty quick feet, the gap between skates is small and easy to defend if the D-man is aware of it all they have to do is kick at the puck.
When the move is executed correctly, the puck really isn't in close enough proximity to the defenseman's feet for him to be able to kick/impede it with his skates. You could have anywhere from 2-4 feet of a gap to maneuver the puck through and ideally you want to push it through closer to the stick blade than the defenseman's feet. Definitely not an effective move if the foward's speed is comparable to the back-skating defenseman, but could be a useful under different circumstances.... A lot of times it is hard for the defender not to react to the puck and remember to play the body.

Not the best example, but on Marchand's short-handed goal a few games ago, you see him pass the puck under this gap on the player who was checking him

Here is a good example of Seguin using this move on a defenseman who's not skating fast enough to keep up with him:

Just figured you'd see this move pulled more frequently. Surprised more forwards did not burn Malik in this manner, because he had that long stick thrown out there on the ice, and wasn't the most efficient back skater out there.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-15-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old
06-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
When the move is executed correctly, the puck really isn't in close enough proximity to the defenseman's feet for him to be able to kick/impede it with his skates. You could have anywhere from 2-4 feet of a gap to maneuver the puck through and ideally you want to push it through closer to the stick blade than the defenseman's feet. Definitely not an effective move if the foward's speed is comparable to the back-skating defenseman, but could be a useful under different circumstances.... A lot of times it is hard for the defender not to react to the puck and remember to play the body.

Not the best example, but on Marchand's short-handed goal a few games ago, you see him pass the puck under this gap on the player who was checking him

Here is a good example of Seguin using this move on a defenseman who's not skating fast enough to keep up with him:

Just figured you'd see this move pulled more frequently. Surprised more forwards did not burn Malik in this manner, because he had that long stick thrown out there on the ice, and wasn't the most efficient back skater out there.
Maybe I misunderstood your first post, I was talking about putting the puck through the defenders legs, which should never be 2-4 feet apart haha. Now that I re-read it you meant between his stick and a leg? Either way putting the puck close to a good defenders stick is going to result in a turnover.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think I see what you mean Wolfgaze, but I think it'll fail more often than it'll work.

JT looks like he's trying to do something like that here, and not only does Marc get his stick in the way he drops him, too. It can absolutely work, but it can also end your foray into the offensive zone too quickly if the d-man is good. Too risky to do it often.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Maybe I misunderstood your first post, I was talking about putting the puck through the defenders legs, which should never be 2-4 feet apart haha. Now that I re-read it you meant between his stick and a leg? Either way putting the puck close to a good defenders stick is going to result in a turnover.
Yeah I thought maybe we weren't on the same page after reading your post.. I made you a visual (slow work day):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stickman.JPG‎ (8.8 KB, 1 views)

Old
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I think I see what you mean Wolfgaze, but I think it'll fail more often than it'll work.

JT looks like he's trying to do something like that here, and not only does Marc get his stick in the way he drops him, too. It can absolutely work, but it can also end your foray into the offensive zone too quickly if the d-man is good. Too risky to do it often.
Yeah, Tavares tried it there but in my opinion it was poorly executed because:

A) He stopped moving his feet and was entering the zone at roughly the same speed as Staal
&
B) He tried to pull that move to his backhand which would have required him to go wide with the puck. He should have passed the puck from his back-hand through Staal's stick to his fore-hand so he could cut to the center of the ice and get a better quality scoring chance off the opportunity.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
94now

LeCavalier may be available if/when Richards signs with TB.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Haha fantastic art work. Yeah you'd think it would be easily exploitable but I think the quickness of todays D-Men make it a hard move to pull off.
I am on my phone so I wasn't able to watch your reference video which explains why I was being daft lol. Picture is great.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Way too long of a contract and too high of a cap hit for a player who has not performed on par with his best seasons of his career... If he was still an 80+ point player I would be interested, but now he's more of a 60-70 point Center.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Way too long of a contract and too high of a cap hit for a player who has not performed on par with his best seasons of his career... If he was still an 80+ point player I would be interested, but now he's more of a 60-70 point Center.
Man he can pull some moves though and at full speed to boot, agree he's not worth it but a younger player with similar puck skills would be great on the Rangers.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
94now

Quote:
Way too long of a contract and too high of a cap hit for a player who has not performed on par with his best seasons of his career... .
Sounds very familiar, doesn't it?
He is the best dangler, though.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Chris Higgins, TOTAL DANGLEMASTER

Jody Shelley created dangling

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Matt Cooke messed up Vinny, he's not the same. That deal is long.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
The Mouth

ron flockhart

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
gotmonte

Pavel Bure (he's still in shape.. Dont know about his knees though. but he lives in Miami)
Pavel Brendl (doughnut boy would be a GREAT dangler if he can keep his pudgy hands off snacks between shifts)

Now seriously...

Lets look at Filatov

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:52 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Pavel Bure (he's still in shape.. Dont know about his knees though. but he lives in Miami)
Pavel Brendl (doughnut boy would be a GREAT dangler if he can keep his pudgy hands off snacks between shifts)

Now seriously...

Lets look at Filatov
Once again, I WANT FILATOV.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Garfinkel1

I want to see Datysuk in Ranger blue. I dream about this...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:25 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I want to see Datysuk in Ranger blue. I dream about this...
Psh... You and I both brotha.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote