HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyle to LW; Halpern (650k/1 year) as 4th line C

Old
06-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
"Jeff ****ing Halpern" is a valuable bottom-6 centerman that is excellent on faceoffs and can kill penalties.

What the hell do you have against Halpern?
With all the bottom six guys we have...do we really need a Jeff Halpern?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It could work for sure, and Boyle have what it takes to be a effective winger.

But I would definitely not bet the house that Boyle even would last 10 games on the wing either.

To play center you need a certain type of abilities. Like for example you need to be comfortable at moving the puck up ice from your own end. If the other team backs down and traps, you need to be able to take a pass from your D's and try to gain the redline. Stuff like that. Many wingers just do not have it in them to play at center, they have never practised on those aspects.

As a winger its different though. You do not need all that different skill set. Like mainly the battles along the boards is the big difference, but thats more like you'll win some you'll loose some no matter what. Its not a disaster either if you loose a 50/50 battle, unlike if a center coughs up the puck heading up ice.

But, it can be hard to get involved on the wing for a center. And I definitely think there is a risk for that with Boyle. Its an art to be able to get in on the forecheck fast enough for a winger. You cannot do sheit if you are a second late. Odds are that he would be a non-factor on the forecheck on many plays. And while he of course would be strong a long the boards, thats a positioning/timing issue as well. If someone gets behind you you are screwed big time. And the biggest problem he would have is of course the transition play. I doubt Boyle takes many passes from behind per season. He would not be comfortable at receiving a pass in the neutralzone skating forward from a D standing 60 feets behind him so to speak.

I really like many aspects of Boyle's game. I wouldn't rule out that he could workout on the wing. And I think he even has a tad higher potential there. And you get a line with two centers that would be good in FO situations late in games and what not. But I am certainly afraid that he would like end up a zone behind the play in the wrong type of games, and you just cannot have that.
I think that Boyle now has the skating ability to play any position at forward, to be completely honest. He's very coachable and very versatile, remember, the guy used to actually be a defenceman.

I love the guy at center, I'll admit that. Centers with his size, who can skate, with a heavy shot don't just grow on trees. From what I saw, he does now have the ability to recieve passes and rush the puck through the neutral zone because of his improved stride. IMO, a guy with his size moving that fast in open ice is harder to defend because an opposing defeceman/forward can't utilize the boards to stop him. And I saw nothing of a detriment in his game that showed he didn't belong at center postionally either. I still believe that he has some untapped potential as well, we all know the guy likes to work hard at his game, so who knows.

However, if you must, I believe you only try him at wing on an interim basis to see if you can maximize his production and ability.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
"Jeff ****ing Halpern" is a valuable bottom-6 centerman that is excellent on faceoffs and can kill penalties.

What the hell do you have against Halpern?
Exactly my point, we have a use for him.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

weve got an excess of #4-12 forwards, with too many of them playign up top. What we need is more #1-3 forwards to push the rest of em down, not more 4-12ers to push the rest of them up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Would Boyle be a good fit next to Gabby and Richards should we get him?

I am not really sure on Prospal, wouldnt be to disappointed whether he signs or not as i think he is replacable even though he did well towards the end of last season.

Boyle - Richards - Gaborik
Dubi - Anisimov - Cally
Grachev/? - Stepan - Zucc
Feds - Halpern - Prust
No to this. Boyle got quicker, but not that quick. You need to keep speed on that top line with BR and Gaborik

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
Exactly my point, we have a use for him.
Let's bring in a 36 year old journeymen instead of letting one of kids develop...makes total sense to me because we are contending for the cup.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Let's bring in a 36 year old journeymen instead of letting one of kids develop...makes total sense to me because we are contending for the cup.
You can't look at it like this. Our kids who actually play center aren't close to being ready. People forget how lucky we are to have Stepan making the team and having the year he did.

If you sign the guy on the cheap, he averages 13 min/game, can give you 30 points, win face-offs, kill penalties, and give you a veteran presence.

To put it in perspective, that's something Drury hasn't given this team in over 2 years, all things considered.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
With all the bottom six guys we have...do we really need a Jeff Halpern?
can't the same thing be said about why do we need boulton?

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
so halpern is way too old to sign...but you want to bring in boulton?

FYI halpern is only 3 months older than boulton (5/3/76 vs 8/17/76)

Old
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
LannyMcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
weve got an excess of #4-12 forwards, with too many of them playign up top. What we need is more #1-3 forwards to push the rest of em down, not more 4-12ers to push the rest of them up.
Bingo

LannyMcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
so halpern is way too old to sign...but you want to bring in boulton?

FYI halpern is only 3 months older than boulton (5/3/76 vs 8/17/76)
Fair enough but I think the Rangers would be making a mistake with only going with Prust as our muscle...I think Boulton is one of the more complete enforcers in the game, like Shawn Thornton.

I would also consider bringing in Mike Rupp, he is an effective player as well.

Halpern is not a bad player, just not the right player for the Rangers IMO.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Fair enough but I think the Rangers would be making a mistake with only going with Prust as our muscle...I think Boulton is one of the more complete enforcers in the game, like Shawn Thornton.

I would also consider bringing in Mike Rupp, he is an effective player as well.

Halpern is not a bad player, just not the right player for the Rangers IMO.
The rangers have plenty of guys who will drop the mitts, prust notwithstanding. In this NHL, having a designated enforcer isn't as neccesary as years past.

Mike Rupp is an effective player, but we have guys who can fill bottom 6 winger roles. Rupp or Boulton will not help us.

We are weak at center. Our center prospects aren't close to be ready. Halpern on the cheap can fill that 4th line center role.

per my last post:
Quote:
You can't look at it like this. Our kids who actually play center aren't close to being ready. People forget how lucky we are to have Stepan making the team and having the year he did.

If you sign the guy on the cheap, he averages 13 min/game, can give you 30 points, win face-offs, kill penalties, and give you a veteran presence.

To put it in perspective, that's something Drury hasn't given this team in over 2 years, all things considered.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Would be okay, but I'm not totally interested.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
The rangers have plenty of guys who will drop the mitts, prust notwithstanding. In this NHL, having a designated enforcer isn't as neccesary as years past.
Mike Rupp is an effective player, but we have guys who can fill bottom 6 winger roles. Rupp or Boulton will not help us.

We are weak at center. Our center prospects aren't close to be ready. Halpern on the cheap can fill that 4th line center role.

per my last post:
I completly disagree.

This playoff season should have shown us we can't not compete with the skill or the physicallity of majority of the teams that were remaining in the playoffs after we got bounced.

The Canucks are dropping like flies...why do u think that is happening, I will tell you why, it is because they are trying to play a rough and tumble style of game and the Bruins are just killing them.

Alex Burrows started the nonsense and woke up the beast and now the Bruins are rolling, it doesn't mean the Nucks can't win tonight but they should have constructed a different game plan instead of going toe to toe with the Bruins.

The Bruins, Flyers, Islanders, Devils, Pens etc...all play rough and tumble games...we are a small team, I don't understand why that is so difficult to see.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I don't mind having a CHEAP enforcer that we can send to the press box 50 games a year. I understand that having a skilled player is more valuable in most situations (most notably the playoffs) but sometimes it's good to have a designated goon to come in and protect your main pieces. Someone that can come in against the Islanders, Flyers, Penguins, etc. It won't hurt our cap space and it doesn't hurt to have an extra option at all times.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I still want Kenopka, find me a 4th liner banger who's better on faceoffs! Or any UFA who's better on faceoffs. Reasoner as a #2 option, Tallon was very happy with his play in Florida.

Let Vinny sit out all season and sign him as UFA at the deadline like Foppa or Sundin. Other teams do it, we can to. Adds a depth veteran at the deadline without giving up a 2nd round pick this time.

Player --- total FO% GP Hits TO/G PTS HT Wt AGE
Halpern -- - 594 56.9 72 042 12:43 26 5'11" 198lbs 35yrs old
Reasoner - 1284 54.5 82 071 17:09 34 6'1" 205lbs 34yrs old
Kenopka - 1075 57.7 82 110 10:11 9 6'0" 211lbs 30yrs old
Christensen 639 49.4 63 034 12:45 27 6'1" 203lbs 27yrs old

If you want someone who can punish people, forechecks, dominates in the faceoffs circle regularly and takes the fighting load off of Prust, go with Kenopka.

If you want someone who is a better skater, can slide up to the #3 center position and chip in a goal here and there, go with Reasoner.

If you want someone who is under sized, doesn't hit, and is basically nothing more than an older version of Erik Christensen with a slightly better faceoff abilities, go with Halpern. IMO Halpern is a waste of a contract and is one step away from retiring. If he's lucky he finds his way onto a team like Colorado or Dallas as a cheap 3rd line center, no one else needs this guy. NYR definitely doesn't.

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-15-2011 at 11:45 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
I completly disagree.
Prust, Dubinsky, Boyle, Avery, Girardi, Callahan and Sauer are players that have no issue with dropping the gloves and have before. Our players stick up for one another and had no problem engaging in the rough stuff after the whistles. Big difference from the team from the year before. Shawn Thornton, a bonofied enforcer, has had a limmited role, and I'm gunna go out on a limb and say boston would still be in the finals without him.

It still doesn't address the fact that we need a decent 4th line center, not 4th line wingers, not enforcers. See: Brashear, 2009 & Boogaard, 2010.

Quote:
This playoff season should have shown us we can't not compete with the skill or the physicallity of majority of the teams that were remaining in the playoffs after we got bounced.
Not sure what you mean, but the caps didn't beat us because we weren't tough enough, we didn't have the scoring ability and callahan was injured. If you watched this team, you would know that playing physical was our mantra all season long, we were among the leaders in hits this season.

Quote:
The Canucks are dropping like flies...why do u think that is happening, I will tell you why, it is because they are trying to play a rough and tumble style of game and the Bruins are just killing them.

Alex Burrows started the nonsense and woke up the beast and now the Bruins are rolling, it doesn't mean the Nucks can't win tonight but they should have constructed a different game plan instead of going toe to toe with the Bruins.
I agree, but this is not something that the rangers lack in their game, not at all.

Quote:
The Bruins, Flyers, Islanders, Devils, Pens etc...all play rough and tumble games...we are a small team, I don't understand why that is so difficult to see.
Since when are we a small team?

Old
06-15-2011, 06:26 PM
NYRangers16

We are neither small nor lacking in toughness. We need SKILL.

Enough with the 4th liners already!!

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:01 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
I completly disagree.

AA 6-4 200lbs
BB 6-7 250lbs
WW 6-3 215lbs
Dubi 6-1 210lbs
Staal 6-5 208lbs
Sauer 6-3 213lbs
I think it was because these guys are blocking the view.

Comapare these two pages tell me who has more <= 6'0 and who has more >6'0"

Rangers roster
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Bruins Roster
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Leetch3

not what people will want. but if boyle moves to wing, the 4th line center will most likely be EC who is under contract for another year and can get us some Ws in the shootout...then maybe lindberg can be brought over the following year.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's not always about putting all of your best players together. It's about balance. Richards and Gaborik are skilled players that aren't great along the boards. They need that presence on the other wing to win the puck battles and create space. Boyle would be just fine there.
Yeah, probably, but I think Dubinsky is a better option. And I would also be interested in Brunette if he wants to play here on an inexpensive 1 year deal. He's an underrated player, and still has some in the tank, imo.

Also, please bring back Feds.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If you want someone who is under sized, doesn't hit, and is basically nothing more than an older version of Erik Christensen with a slightly better faceoff abilities, go with Halpern. IMO Halpern is a waste of a contract and is one step away from retiring. If he's lucky he finds his way onto a team like Colorado or Dallas as a cheap 3rd line center, no one else needs this guy. NYR definitely doesn't.
Halpern has a much better attitude in the locker room, is vastly better defensively, and would come cheaper than EC as a 4th line center role.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:23 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Halpern didn't look like he was about to retire this year. He did his job in Montreal more than adequately.

It makes sense that the same people who underrate Halpern are the same people who take a certain approach to all things Drury.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
AA 6-4 200lbs
BB 6-7 250lbs
WW 6-3 215lbs
Dubi 6-1 210lbs
Staal 6-5 208lbs
Sauer 6-3 213lbs
I think it was because these guys are blocking the view.

Comapare these two pages tell me who has more <= 6'0 and who has more >6'0"

Rangers roster
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Bruins Roster
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
Ok...AA could be 10 feet tall and he wouldn't scare anyone and that is fine, that is not his game

WW, my 4 year old son has more agreesion then he does.

Love Staal to but and he is a good/great dmen but he doens't have the mean edge to his game yet, I hope he does develop it and I saw flashes that it is coming.

Sauer, love him, he plays with an edge.

Boyle is the softest 6'7 250 pound I have every watched.

No problem with Dubi, love him.

Again, I think you would see more agression from these guys if they had a little more protection on their team..but that is just me.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Vitto79

It does make some sense to sign a 4th line C for cheap.

Boyle proved he can be more than a 4th line C so if he needs more minutes it is logical to shift him to LW especially if Richards, Anisimov, Stepan are down the middle

I mentioned this before. Madden, Konopka, Halpern all should be looked at for the right price on the cap meaning under one million

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote