HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers or Islanders

View Poll Results: Who wins the Cup First
Rangers 101 80.80%
Islanders 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Rangers or Islanders

Who wins the cup first?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:29 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Rangers.

Not because I'm a rangers fan or because this is a rangers board.

The Rangers are simply further ahead. They have an established all star goaltender. They have an all star shut down defenseman, Marc Staal. They have the sniper, Gaborik. They have a solid farm system that is starting to turn pro. They have the secondary guys. I think they are a few pieces away.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
NYRSchrute217

The Rangers will win a cup within the next 3 years. Maybe I'm a homer or I just believe too much in the kids coming up but the foundation is here for a solid club.

The Islanders have solid pieces in place, as well, but the Rangers are years ahead of them in their rebuild. Both teams have elite talents (Gaborik, Tavares) to build around, but the Rangers are clearly ahead in terms of offensive depth (not just on the team currently but in the organization), defensive upside, and the Rangers have an established, elite goaltender, while the Islanders are riding Al Montoya and Rick 15 DiPietro. The Isles' top G prospect, Kevin Poulin, is very talented though, but I wasn't that impressed with him last year.

Both teams are going to be in the playoffs and possibly face each other many times this decade, but the Rangers as currently constructed are just further ahead.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Cmox

It's okay not to vote cause we most likely wont see it.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Of course everyone is going to vote Rangers, but I'm going to analyse this from a non-homer perspective.

As of now, our current organisation is much closer to becoming a contender than the Islanders, so in theory, we SHOULD win a cup before them, if Sather does the right things this off-season (e.g. signing Richards and a LW), we are able to win the cup within the next 2 or 3 years, on paper. However, we need Gaborik to stay healthy and put more pucks in the net, hopefully MDZ can improve defensively and become the offensive stud we all expect him to be, and we have many good prospects who will be ready to make the team within the next 2 or 3 years. All these factors will give us a good cup contending team, but we need to not choke when it comes to our year for a good cup run. Gaborik, Richards, and Lundqvist aren't getting any younger, so really we don't have many chances at getting the cup, I think a suitable phrase would be "It's now or never" if you will, unless we can get lucky in the upcoming drafts and land ourselves an elite player or two, and depending on the development of current prospects such as Kreider and Thomas.

So there's my arguments for the Rangers winning it first, however, I think realistically the Islanders could win a cup first if the Rangers miss their window of opportunity, where they may only get a few shots at the cup. Whereas the Islanders have a very very young team, with Tavares becoming an elite player, Niederreiter looks very promising and also de Haan could be a very good offensive Dman, Okposo is also a good player. All these young guys combined with some good signings for the bottom 6 and some veterans could keep them in cup contention for a number of years. The final pieces of the puzzle for the Islanders are to draft a good big Dman with their first rounder in 2011 (Dougie Hamilton?) and maybe another good Center if they get a high pick in 2012, and finally sign a good established #1 goaltender from free agency.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Oof. I think both teams are probably at least 5 years out. At the same time, both teams may have their "window" in the foreseeable future.

Too tough to call. We are a better team at the moment, but they have a lot of potential on their team and in their system.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
As an Islander fan, I can't say until August 1st passes. If they get a new arena, bank on Wang spending more. Teams can't win the cup with the lowest payroll in the league, and last year, they had the lowest payroll in the league.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:54 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

This is a fair poll. It's close, but I think we have a slight edge due. It really depends on how the kids develop, and if we can get a #1 center. The isles are going to be pretty loaded at forward, but they need to fix the goalie situation...which is a sticky one.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
As an Islander fan, I can't say until August 1st passes. If they get a new arena, bank on Wang spending more. Teams can't win the cup with the lowest payroll in the league, and last year, they had the lowest payroll in the league.
Bingo. If the Isles can normalize the ownership issues they should be fine. Sather is a bad gambler but Snow can be even more incomprehensible at times. It might come down to which management team can keep their young stars and still be able to fill other roles and which team gets sunk with more bad contracts.

Frankly I don't see Nassau county being a stable place for a pro team right now but I wish the Isles the best in securing a new arena.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Oof. I think both teams are probably at least 5 years out. At the same time, both teams may have their "window" in the foreseeable future.

Too tough to call. We are a better team at the moment, but they have a lot of potential on their team and in their system.
I agree. 5 years is when I see the Rangers contending big time. 2-3 years is overly optimistic, but could be possible if we have a good off season this year and next and some more prospects excelling.

But right now I am saying 5 years. Isles are further away but not too far and if they get a new arena and can attract some UFA's they will significantly improve their chances.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
ogie

my decision is based on the sole fact that the islander organization is a disaster management wise. Charles Wang and Snow have made some big gaffs in the past few years and it doesn't seem to be getting better. As long as their front office is in shambles there is no way they will put a cup contender on the ice.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
my decision is based on the sole fact that the islander organization is a disaster management wise. Charles Wang and Snow have made some big gaffs in the past few years and it doesn't seem to be getting better. As long as their front office is in shambles there is no way they will put a cup contender on the ice.
Bingo.

They may have some sick prospects, but they'll never put it together.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I like their forward depth better

I like our Defence depth better

As long as we have a healthy and performing Lundqvist, we will have a better shot at the cup sooner.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
Bingo.

They may have some sick prospects, but they'll never put it together.
I think Snow has done a good job last few years...he pretty much traded away any aging assets for picks and prospects.

If they get their arena...I think they will leap frog us because the one thing going against us is that Dolan and Sather really don't give a sh8t.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
What gaffs are you referring to?

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Jersey Girl

The one who changes ownership/management first. Choosing between Dolan/Sather and Wang/Snow is like choosing between bad and worse.

There are at least 15 other franchises who can easily win a championship before these four clowns.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I think Wang is a pretty awful owner but I have to give Snow some credit.

It looked like a dumb move by Wang, and who knows if he chose Garth for the right reasons. And at first, Snow did look a bit out of his element. But he came in under bad circumstances, and he has really grown into the role. I don't think he'll be winning any management awards anytime soon, but he does a decent job with what he has to work with and all things considered he's come a long way and turned into a pretty decent GM.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
In The Flesh

I'd take our mgmt. over NYI all day long.

Dolan doesn't give a hoot about pissing money away and Sather has made some really smart moves outside of free agency.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I like their forward depth better

I like our Defence depth better

As long as we have a healthy and performing Lundqvist, we will have a better shot at the cup sooner.
Thats how I see it right now when regarding the teams/systems.

Both sides have great defenses for the future with the Islanders having Hamonic, MacDonald, de Haan, Donovan and Streit will likely be around for a while and the Rangers having Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Saur, Erixon and Mcilrath, but now I give the edge to the Rangers.

Call me biased but I give forwards easily to the Islanders in depth and top end talent.

Goaltending obviously goes to the Rangers, now and in the future. I'm a giant fan of Poulin and think after this upcoming year or halfway in to it, he will be the starting goalie for then, on but he can't touch Lundqvist right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
What gaffs are you referring to?
Wang I don't like but I think Garth is terrific.

Last edited by Kevin27nyi: 06-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
As much as it pains me to say this I agree with the Islander fan

and I'll go a step further if the vote 8/1 goes Wang's way and it survives the court battles I'm sure will ensue...then I think the Islanders win a Cup first...and that would be really friggin painful having lived through their 80's Cup runs. I have to go now I just threw up in my mouth.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Our current roster is way better and our prospects are equal, if not better after acquiring Erixon. The Isles will be a team to watch since they have a bunch of exciting young talent but we are FAR closer.

Callahan Auto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

The Islanders are two pieces away. Are we two pieces away?

Add a defensemen and a goalie and the Islanders are ready to contend. Finding the goalie might be difficult though.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:21 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
The ONLY reason I went with the Rangers is because of Lundqvist

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Shamefully I think the Islanders will win it first.

06-16-2011, 02:23 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The Islanders are two pieces away. Are we two pieces away?

Add a defensemen and a goalie and the Islanders are ready to contend. Finding the goalie might be difficult though.
How do you figure a team that's missed the playoffs every year but one since the lockout is two pieces away, and the Rangers aren't? IMO the rangers have two huge voids: PP QB and 1st line center. After that you're talking about roles we can or have filled, perhaps not with the best guys, but good enough. For instance, some may say we need a crease-clearing defenseman. We have at least Michael Sauer.

The islanders have a lot of what-if's, as do we. To say they're only missing two pieces is making a lot of assumptions.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote