HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 09:14 AM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Buyout period begins Friday. Not Wednesday.
huh? isn't it june 15th-30th?

Old
06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
huh? isn't it june 15th-30th?
I believe it starts two days from the end of the SCF and runs through the 30th.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:45 AM
MeltingPlastic

can we just blame Neil on all the issues Drury is having and call it a day.. that hit was the end of Drury's career period..

Old
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I believe it starts two days from the end of the SCF and runs through the 30th.
ah ok that makes sense.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Its June 15 or 48 hours after the finals are over. The finals are usually over by June 15.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Its June 15 or 48 hours after the finals are over. The finals are usually over by June 15.
So it's what ever comes first?

Old
06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
K but this is about overall. You really wanna do overall Dru, vs Mess or vs Jagr? C'mon it's one thing to preach fair evaluation but this is getting ridiculous the lengths people are going
I think you missed my point...leadership does not equal performance and performance does not equal leadership. As I stated in my post to compare Drury's performance vs Jagr would be a fools errand, only a crazy person would do that.

As I sated in earlier posts I'm VERY happy that Dury is being bought out.

But posters are stating he didn't take the team anywhere, which is fair but everyone has to be judged using the same criteria then.

A lot of people killed Jagr for not being in shootouts when he was here and questioned his leadership because of that and other things and now all of a sudden it's the good old days.

Again I'm not defending Drury, I was against his contract from the start.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:31 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
So it's what ever comes first?
no whatever comes 2nd...earliest it can start is june 15th but i can't start until after the finals are over.

Old
06-14-2011, 03:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I think you missed my point...leadership does not equal performance and performance does not equal leadership. As I stated in my post to compare Drury's performance vs Jagr would be a fools errand, only a crazy person would do that.

As I sated in earlier posts I'm VERY happy that Dury is being bought out.

But posters are stating he didn't take the team anywhere, which is fair but everyone has to be judged using the same criteria then.

A lot of people killed Jagr for not being in shootouts when he was here and questioned his leadership because of that and other things and now all of a sudden it's the good old days.

Again I'm not defending Drury, I was against his contract from the start.
IMO you can't separate leadership from on ice performance. Whether by design or not Jagr was put in a position post lockout of being defacto leader just by virtue of the teams inexperience and less than rosy outlook. He had a huge season and a team that was figured to be a bottom feeder surprised the **** out of everybody.

In any case the team got respect back throughout the league--and after 7 straight seasons out of the playoffs and then the lockout year--that was really saying something. Jagr might not have always produced as much as some of us would have always liked or taken part in very many shootouts (neither does Gaborik--or for that matter Drury the last couple seasons) but he was usually up front and center on and off the ice. After that post lockout year though the surprise was gone and although we've never really got to the stage of being a legit contender teams knew they had to take us a lot more seriously. Maybe that is a reason to think of that first lockout year as the good old days.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
The buyout period begins today.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
The buyout period begins today.
It can't start until 2 days after the last game of the finals. It will start Friday.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
It can't start until 2 days after the last game of the finals. It will start Friday.
Womp, my mistake. I had figured that June 15th was concrete. Getting ahead of myself...

Old
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
pwoz

I'm a bit confused about what Brooks reported... he said Drury will be bought out as soon as Slats can do so, but there was something else about an additional buyout period in August?... would that be for other possible buyouts like Wolski?

Old
06-15-2011, 02:09 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I'm a bit confused about what Brooks reported... he said Drury will be bought out as soon as Slats can do so, but there was something else about an additional buyout period in August?... would that be for other possible buyouts like Wolski?
if a team has arbitration cases they can have a 2nd buyout period in august...the rangers can buyout wolski now if they want, but they aren't sure what the other options are. if things work out that they can upgrade that winger spot, then maybe he gets bought out in august.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Brooks

Quote:
Rangers captain Chris Drury has been told by general manager Glen Sather that he will be bought out of the final season of the five-year, $32.05 million contract he signed as a free agent on July 1, 2007, multiple sources have told The Post.

The buyout, which had been anticipated since coach John Tortorella made his feelings known publicly on breakup day, will become official during the proscribed June 15-30 window for such transactions.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1PNDGJa00

Contradicting reports. One report says its a done deal. One report says there is more going on behind the scenes. All of those reports are in this thread. Rangers aren't giving out many details.

The Rangers have two weeks to look at their options.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Drury for Olesz. Drury waives NMC on the condition Florida buys him out. The $3.7M Drury cap hit for 11-12 helps FLA reach floor.

Quote:
Apparently teams can offer buyouts of contracts 48 hours after tonight’s Game 7 which brings up the obvious question: Is it realistic that the Panthers can buy out the remaining three years of underachieving forward Rostislav Olesz contract which owes him an ungodly $11,650,000?!
Ouch.
Quote:
According to capgeek.com the buyout ratio is 1/3 and the total buyout cost at $3,883,333 spread over 6 years. His contract was originally valued at $18,750,000 beginning in 2008 and ending in 2014, with $11,650,000 remaining from the buyout year forward. The Panthers would have to pay him $647,222 in each of the next six years.
Worth it?
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...-contract.html

Olesz has a $3.125M cap #. 3 years remaining on contract. Rangers can buy him out in the next CBA as a compliance buyout. It won't count against the cap.

Florida saves $550,000 in real money. Rangers save $3,925,000 in summer cap space.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Drury for Olesz. Drury waives NMC on the condition Florida buys him out. The $3.7M Drury cap hit for 11-12 helps FLA reach floor.

Olesz has a $3.125M cap #. 3 years remaining on contract. Rangers can buy him out in the next CBA as a compliance buyout. It won't count against the cap.

Florida saves $550,000 in real money. Rangers save $3,925,000 in summer cap space.
done and done...would love to see a deal like this for a guy that we can send down to get the whole 7 mil off the cap.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:24 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Olesz is still hurt.

Quote:
Hey guys I must clarify my earlier blog entry. I was unaware that Rostislav Olesz is still recovering from a torn ACL and because the doctors won’t clear him to play until training camp opens in September the buyout period will be over by then. I want to thank his agent Allan Walsh from Octagon for setting me straight. He also said the Panthers are still counting on Olesz to turn his potential into on-ice production.

Commodore

Quote:
#CBJ, like other clubs, tend to wait until the end of window to see if any "bad contract for bad contract" trades might materialize.
https://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline/st...39389492764672

Old
06-15-2011, 06:47 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
As for Commodore, that's a thornier issue. He's still under a hefty contract with two years left at a combined $6.8 million. A year ago, he got into an ugly spat with the coaching staff after he was made a healthy scratch. He was sent to the minor leagues and asked to be traded. Both sides ended up unhappy and caught in limbo.

The Blue Jackets could elect to buy out the remainder of Commodore's contract at two-thirds of its value, or it could try to deal him to another team.

Asked if he had any idea what the Blue Jackets might do, Commodore's agent, Wade Arnott, said, "I do not. I haven't received any strong indication."

Howson said there has been discussion about buying out the 31-year-old.

"It's been contemplated," he said, adding that some NHL teams have expressed interest. "I've had some discussions about Mike, yes."
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ng-trades.html

Drury for Commodore. Drury waives NMC on the condition Columbus buys him out. Drury is free to sign with another team on July 1. Drury gets $3,333,333 from Columbus in the buyout. Columbus saves more than $1.2M in real money in buying out Drury instead of Commodore. The Rangers create $3.3M of summer cap space. $3.75M more when Commodore is loaned to a team in Europe or assigned to an AHL team. Rangers can buyout Commodore as a compliance buyout in the new CBA which will have a lower cap.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ng-trades.html

Drury for Commodore. Drury waives NMC on the condition Columbus buys him out. Drury is free to sign with another team on July 1. Drury gets $3,333,333 from Columbus in the buyout. Columbus saves more than $1.2M in real money in buying out Drury instead of Commodore. The Rangers create $3.3M of summer cap space. $3.75M more when Commodore is loaned to a team in Europe or assigned to an AHL team. Rangers can buyout Commodore as a compliance buyout in the new CBA which will have a lower cap.
This CBA is so crazy, thats all i'm saying about this.

Old
06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well, regardless of whether it's via buyout or trade, the writing is on the wall: Drury is gone.

It's just pain.
Old
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
JaeTM

Still regretting that purchase of that Drury jersey

Old
06-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Edgeworth*

Honestly I don't think buying out Drury is smart right now. If I were Sather I would focus on pinning down what Callahan and Dubi want in terms of $$. No point in buying Drury out and having his cap hit if you can't even sign Richards because of other Ranger's $$ demands.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Honestly I don't think buying out Drury is smart right now. If I were Sather I would focus on pinning down what Callahan and Dubi want in terms of $$. No point in buying Drury out and having his cap hit if you can't even sign Richards because of other Ranger's $$ demands.
Well, they could realistically re-sign the RFAs and fit Richards in if they were to buy out Wolski, even keeping Drury on the team. So signing Richards isn't really predicated on the Drury situation.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:30 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
There's no point in NOT buying Drury out. I mean are you really going to have a 7M shell of his former self as your 4th line center? Regardless of whether Richards is signed Drury needs to be bought out. Yes, we'll have to deal with that 1M+ hit next year...but that's the least of our worries.

Closed Thread