HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THe Habs were the toughest team the Bruins played -- by a lot

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
zx81

vCash: 500
I haven't read all the posts in this thread but it's all about goalies.
Price was the best goalie Boston faced.

Montreal is their only opponent who has not play the backup goalie.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Price was the best goalie Boston faced.
Worse -- Montreal was the only team that offered even average goaltending.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Worse -- Montreal was the only team that offered even average goaltending.
Not at all. Vancouver offered average goal-tending : excellent at home, atrocious on the road. But if you make an AVERAGE of the 6 games, I think Luongo has been just that.

Now tonight we'll know if his final score is slightly above average or slightly below... but whatever really happens, if he doesn't win the cup, everyone will only remember his aweful, aweful performances in Boston. And if he wins... most will do the same anyway.

Luongo just comes out as a total headcase in this serie.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Not at all. Vancouver offered average goal-tending : excellent at home, atrocious on the road. But if you make an AVERAGE of the 6 games, I think Luongo has been just that.
I'm pretty sure he's been awful enough on the road (under .780!) that his save pecentage for the whole series is below .900. I haven't done the math or anything, but I'm pretty confident in this estimate. And it's not like .900 is even 'average' either (I think average is .912 or thereabouts).

Quote:
Luongo just comes out as a total headcase in this serie.
Pretty much, but whether that's actually true or it's just been the way things have shaken out is a different question.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:00 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
All I saw was two weak teams that were trying to not make too many mistakes. Unfortunetly they made a lot. You would watch the games in the west and it was speed, physical, unbelievable hockey and then you watch the games in the East and it was horrible. That's why I don't get why the Canucks are having problems with the Bruins, in my book they are vastly supperior and we saw that in game 5. It seems to me like the Nucks are exausted having faced Chicago, Nashville and San Jose. There's no more juice left.
Probably... on one side Van faced Seabrook/keith, Suter/Weber and now Chara... while the B faced Habs sans Markov/Gorges, Philly sans Pronger and Van sans Hamuis/Rome...

Old
06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's been awful enough on the road (under .780!) that his save pecentage for the whole series is below .900. I haven't done the math or anything, but I'm pretty confident in this estimate. And it's not like .900 is even 'average' either (I think average is .912 or thereabouts).
I meant average game-wise (3 very good, 3 very bad), not %-wise. But it was more of a joke anyway.

Then again, what if Luongo blanks the Bruins again tonight? 3 shut-out performance in the SCF would be absolutely amazing, right, and in most cases would warrant the Conn-Smythe trophy? But people would still be wondering about him, and Thomas might still win it (say the Canucks win another one 1-0). He just made a really weird overall performance that's hard to evaluate because it's SO different from game to game.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
They did. They replaced a useless player that brought no toughness and nothing else (he could barely skate...)by someone else. Laraque was the absolute worst player I've seen with the Habs and I went through the end of nineties where Habs had terrible teams.

L O L - Habs got rid of Laroque's toughness (Lucic and a number of so-called tough guys in the NHL would not fight him) with....."someone else" -L O L!

So who is the "someone else" and where is the toughness?

The reality is the HABS are a soft team to play against - don't have a lineup of players who strike fear into their opponents......to say the least!

What if this is...as good as it gets?

Old
06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I definitely believe this too. Just makes it hurt more that we could have easily knocked out the Cup Champs.

Might you be the same Dojji from the TalkSox boards?

Old
06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
L O L - Habs got rid of Laroque's toughness (Lucic and a number of so-called tough guys in the NHL would not fight him) with....."someone else" -L O L!

The reality is the HABS are a soft team to play against - don't have a lineup of players who strike fear into their opponents......to say the least!

That's why the B's and Flyers knock us out every year. No way could our team as built go 4 rounds of playoff hockey

Old
06-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Licentia

Congrats Habs!

I just want to say how good I feel about Boston winning. Boston's win justifies the Hab's loss this year, in my eyes.

Had the Habs scored first in OT of game 7 verses Boston they may have been the team holding the cup in Vancouver tonight!

Old
06-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Dekar

Seems like we have an unfortunate recent history of losing to the cup champions. It doesn't make me feel any better about losing, nor does it mean we'd have won another game had we defeated that team in that round.

Boston's victory this year makes me hopeful for next year though. They won the cup going seven games in 3 rounds, and we had to suffer through two grueling ones last year before running into our own kryptonite. Should we get one or two better matchups, we definitely have the ability to go all the way, and especially with a healthier squad.

I'll be trying to forget this year A.S.A.P., but I'm sOoOoOoOoOo looking forward to next year. Go Habs forever!

Old
06-16-2011, 12:42 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post

Are you ****ing kidding me? I agree this team needs a bit more overall team toughness but please, stop bringing up Laraque, you're embarassing yourself. He was beyond useless and softer than Charmin papier-cul.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:59 AM
McNuts

Injuries break my heart. I know our team could be even better and it pisses me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Seems like we have an unfortunate recent history of losing to the cup champions.
Tampa Bay, Carolina, almost Philly, and now Boston. Anyone else?

Old
06-16-2011, 02:03 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
funny, the canucks bruins series has just made me hate the bruins even more. definitely didn't gain any respect for them.
This.

Same crap different city. This biggest difference is that the habs are used to it and don't bite.

I congratulate them on the cup win, but I saw nothing in this series to change my opinion that they're hypocrites that the league enabled.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
This.

Same crap different city. This biggest difference is that the habs are used to it and don't bite.

I congratulate them on the cup win, but I saw nothing in this series to change my opinion that they're hypocrites that the league enabled.
Was that an intentional pun? Because I thought it was hilarious.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:48 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Goaltending doesn't work that way. Troughtout the series its far better to have above average goaltending for 7 games then a rollercoaster like Luongo offered. He didn't give his team a chance to win every game, and thats whats most important.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:32 AM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
I just want to say how good I feel about Boston winning. Boston's win justifies the Hab's loss this year, in my eyes.

Had the Habs scored first in OT of game 7 verses Boston they may have been the team holding the cup in Vancouver tonight!
Don't ****ing say that! I started crying.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:56 AM
BossBruin824

Reality Check

36 year old life long B's fan here and of course I had to pop in to see your reactions to us winning the cup. I have to be honest, I am a bit surprised at some of the pure hate.

First off, the Chara/Max incident was a horrible thing and I promise you that 99% of the B's fans out there felt/feel terrible about his injury. Much like 99% of Van fans are classy and peaceful. The 1%ers can be real loud and make you think they are larger in numbers than they really are. I bet that this morning some of the world assumes the entire Rogers Center poured out into the street and lit the city ablaze when in fact it was a small number not representative of the fan base. Chara is not a dirty player. If you could have paused "life" for a moment just before that hit and told him that he was about to break Max's kneck, I GUARANTY you he would have cut right and avoided him. I'm sure his intention was to rattle him and bounce him to the ice but not to injure him.

Second, you were definitely the B's toughest series. That makes you a great team also. I love when the Habs are great because it makes us better and it makes the rivalry more passionate. Wouldn't it be boring if one of us won every year and the other had a lottery pick? 3 seasons ago when you guys were 12-0 against us, it honestly got boring because they were not competitive games. As much as I hate the Habs, they instantly become the team I root for as soon as the B's get bounced. Why? Because I have respect for the rivalry and the good it has done for our organizations. Believe that your management's goal this off season is to get better than the B's. Just like it has been our goal in recent years to get better than you and look at the by product of that, we won the cup!

Here's to a short summer, we'll see you in October.

Last edited by BossBruin824: 06-16-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old
06-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Classy post...enjoy the celebrations.

Old
Ohashi_Jouzu

Yeah, well, besides Tim Thomas, the rest of your team can blow me.

Old
Tuggy

Do you really think Habs fans want to read this from a Bruins fan right now? God, go away.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:06 AM
MathMan

I know you're trying to be noble and gracious and all, and I appreciate the sentiment, but I think you're in need of a reality check of your own.

1- I don't really buy that Chara isn't a dirty player. He has the reputation of not being one because every time he does something dirty, people insist he's not that type of player. Now I'm sure he didn't intend to break Max's neck and the result exceeded his intent, but I do think he was out for some revenge. I also think he should have been suspended on the same logic they used to suspend Aaron Rome.

2- Boston is not a great team and winning the Cup didn't change that. Their Cup run was about goaltending, but more about the collapse of their opponents' than their own -- and though Thomas was inarguably excellent for most of the run, it's telling that they needed 7 games to win three series despite his excellence AND consistently bad opposing goaltending. And while I do think Montreal was better than the Bruins, the team that really exposed Boston was Tampa. They badly outplayed the Bruins everywhere but the crease and if they'd had even replacement-level goaltending from Roloson, Tampa would have won a short series right over Thomas's heroics. Honestly, you should enjoy the Cup but if I were you I'd be a wee bit worried about next year. The Bruins aren't likely to miss the playoffs, mind, but this Cup run is going to create expectations they really don't have the horses to fulfill.

3- This one is a bit more delicate, and I'm generalizing, but if your team and your fanbase weren't such apologists for sheer thuggishness, they would probably get more respect and less hate. Getting away with a lot of it at the same time they employ the son of the league's disciplinarian only makes the optics worse.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Krnage

nevermind

Old
06-16-2011, 07:21 AM
BossBruin824

Quote:
1- I don't really buy that Chara isn't a dirty player. He has the reputation of not being one because every time he does something dirty, people insist he's not that type of player. Now I'm sure he didn't intend to break Max's neck and the result exceeded his intent, but I do think he was out for some revenge. I also think he should have been suspended on the same logic they used to suspend Aaron Rome.
I understand the strong feelings you have for the MaxPac incident so because of those, I won't respond for fear of starting a flame war over an unwinnable argument. This one has bean beat to death by both sides and not much more can be said.

Quote:
Their Cup run was about goaltending
Aren't they all about that? If not, the Caps would have quite a few cups of their own in recent history.

Quote:
but more about the collapse of their opponents' than their own
The playoffs are a war or attrition. The cup winning and losing teams are asked to play every other night for 2+ months with the intesity ramping up after each and every game. Being prepared for that and constantly rising to the challenge day in and day out is part of the championship recipe.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:26 AM
Savynquick*

Woke up feeling amazing. And promised I wouldn't troll or get infracted. We can all be friends

Closed Thread