HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Dormant/New/Lurking hawk fan thread (Say Hello to everyone)

Old
05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
MagicSlap*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
To anyone thinking about joining:

The more knowledeable Hawks fans on this forum, the better the forum.
On that note, I registered not too long ago but still have never posted. I've been lurking for a while so just figured I'd say hello. I'll try not to get into too many arguments with posters here haha; I tend to disagree with what a few posters, in particular, have to say. I'm pretty knowledgeable though, looking forward to the draft and next season.

I'm Tyler by the way, hello all.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Cullksinikers

Welcome aboard, sir.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
chihawkswi

Hi Blackhawks forum. I have been lurking for a little while now. With the off-season happenings coming up soon I thought now was the perfect time to finally sign up. My name is Tyler and I am 21 years old. As my username suggests, I am from Wisconsin (born and raised in Milwaukee). Here are some of my interests.

I love sports, from watching/playing to sports media/broadcasting. When it comes to being a fan, Football would be my favorite with hockey, basketball, and baseball after that. My favorite teams are the Packers, Brewers, Bucks, UW Badgers, and Marquette. Sorry guys. I do root for the Chicago White Sox though. Favorite current athletes are Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Braun, and Kobe Bryant. Favorite all-time athletes are Donald Driver (though he's not retired yet) and Michael Jordan. When it comes to playing sports, it is tennis and basketball. I also like sports broadcasting and sports media in general. I love doing play by play/color commentating.

I am also interested in meteorology. I am fascinated by storms and how they work. If I go a long period of time without posting just assume a tornado caught up with me.

Other interests include camping, boating, going to Six Flags Great America, road trips, swimming, nature walks, and learning about random things of little importance. I also like spending time in Chicago whenever possible. I love the Sears Tower, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Millennium Park.

Some of my television, movie, and music interests include:
TV: mostly any comedy on CBS (The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and Rules of Engagement to name a few)
Movies: I am a big fan of Adam Sandler movies. I also enjoy the Fast and the Furious series, disaster films like Armageddon, and anything funny.
Music: I will listen to mostly anything. Rap has a tendency to get on my nerves though.

My hockey/Blackhawks story:

I became a hockey fan when my Mom gave me an NHL '96 video game for the old Super Nintendo. During the late 90's I did more hating the Red Wings because they were good, than actually following a team. In 2000, we bought our first computer. On our MSN home page, the Blackhawks were listed under local scores. Since they were the "home team" I started reading recaps of games and following the standings. Though I was never able to see them play since they weren't on national television, I still gained some familiarity through playing video games. The lockout basically wiped out any interest in the game for years. On New Year's Day 2009, I turned on the TV and saw an outdoor hockey game. It was the Winter Classic at Wrigley Field between the two teams I knew as a kid. Through online streaming, I caught some Blackhawks games throughout the rest of the season and the playoffs. I did research on the complete history of the franchise and that is when I really fell in love with the team. They reminded me of my Packers with a rich history dating back to before my grandparents were born. Understanding the struggles this team and fans had been through for the past half century, it made the championship season more enjoyable.

My favorite player would be Patrick Kane. The reason behind this has little to do with talent. I think it would be a lot of fun to go to a bar and hangout with the guy.

My favorite player to watch in the future is Ben Smith. I loved the way he played down the stretch in the Vancouver series. Can't wait to see how he develops.

Well that about wraps up my introduction. I hope I presented myself in a way that you now have a general idea of who I am. I'll be around from time to time throughout the off-season and you will really see me quite a bit once the season draws near. I look forward to getting to know everyone and maybe engage in some friendly trash talk when it comes to Wisconsin vs Illinois sports. Take care everyone.

chihawkswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Welcome. Keep that Packers garbage out of here and you'll do just fine in these parts.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

welcome tyler. always great to see this board growing (I can't imagine how it was before the 08/09 season here - too bad I haven't known HF before Nov 09). Hope you will post from time to time.

and don't take this personal, I'm sure I will forget some of the things you told us here
And you are a Packers Fan :booouhhh: Go Bears

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Welcome. Keep that Packers garbage out of here and you'll do just fine in these parts.
At least now I have a Packers buddy.

I was all alone.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Cullksinikers

Oh, and welcome.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:55 AM
BlackhawkGuugeli

Hey Blackhawks forum! I've been a longtime lurker on HFBoards. I started reading this forum about two years ago, but never decided to make an account. Now I made it .

A little personal information about me: I'm 16 years old (one of the youngest here maybe?) and I'm from Finland (so sorry for my bad english skills). I started following Blackhawks a little when Tuomo Ruutu was drafted. He was/is one of my favorite players. But I never started being a true fan of the team. I really got into both the Blackhawks and the NHL in the season 2008-2009, because I finally could watch some games on TV with the new house in Helsinki. In 08-09 I was a big fan of Martin Havlat he was my favorite player in the Hawks. But my fav player in the whole league was Marian Hossa. I really enjoyed the 08-09 playoff run so I was hooked to Blackhawks for life.

I'm also a typical pessimistic Finnish guy and I dont like the overestimating of the WC championship in Finland. (Did you know that they made a post stamp of Mikael Granlund's lacrosse style goal?) I've also played hockey for about 8 years now so I think I now the game. I've only seen two NHL games live. First one was the Blackhawks-Panthers premier game here in Finland and this year we went to New York and watched a Rangers-Flyers game.

All the games start here at about 3 am so I cant watch all the Hawks games but I will try and watch most of them too this upcoming season. This season I watched about 40 regular season games and all the PO games.

I think thats about it.

ps. I may not post as much as some of you guys, but I will try to be active here.

BlackhawkGuugeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkGuugeli View Post
Hey Blackhawks forum! I've been a longtime lurker on HFBoards. I started reading this forum about two years ago, but never decided to make an account. Now I made it .

A little personal information about me: I'm 16 years old (one of the youngest here maybe?) and I'm from Finland (so sorry for my bad english skills). I started following Blackhawks a little when Tuomo Ruutu was drafted. He was/is one of my favorite players. But I never started being a true fan of the team. I really got into both the Blackhawks and the NHL in the season 2008-2009, because I finally could watch some games on TV with the new house in Helsinki. In 08-09 I was a big fan of Martin Havlat he was my favorite player in the Hawks. But my fav player in the whole league was Marian Hossa. I really enjoyed the 08-09 playoff run so I was hooked to Blackhawks for life.

I'm also a typical pessimistic Finnish guy and I dont like the overestimating of the WC championship in Finland. (Did you know that they made a post stamp of Mikael Granlund's lacrosse style goal?) I've also played hockey for about 8 years now so I think I now the game. I've only seen two NHL games live. First one was the Blackhawks-Panthers premier game here in Finland and this year we went to New York and watched a Rangers-Flyers game.

All the games start here at about 3 am so I cant watch all the Hawks games but I will try and watch most of them too this upcoming season. This season I watched about 40 regular season games and all the PO games.

I think thats about it.

ps. I may not post as much as some of you guys, but I will try to be active here.
Don't worry about your English, you speak it better than a few of the native speakers here.

Welcome.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

I think thats about it.

Welcome

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:13 AM
Cullksinikers

You're my age. We may be tied, who knows.

Welcome!

Old
06-09-2011, 02:23 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
You're my age. We may be tied, who knows.

Welcome!
Didn't realize we had so many youngin's on the board. I wonder what the median age is?

Old
06-09-2011, 02:29 AM
BlackhawkGuugeli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Didn't realize we had so many youngin's on the board. I wonder what the median age is?
Somebody should make an OT poll for the average ages of the posters on this board.

BlackhawkGuugeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Blucher

Welcome BlackhawkGuugeli!

I think our ages ranges from 15 to 50 something...

Blucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:37 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Somebody should make an OT poll for the average ages of the posters on this board.
That's actually not a bad idea.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Cullksinikers

There are plenty of young Hawks fans my age, but plenty of them can't talk hockey and started watching within 3 years. I've been watching since I was 6 and hopefully you think I'm knowledgeable.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

1. Welcome, always nice to see another euro poster here.
2. send me the link of this voting

Old
06-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Cullksinikers

Make a thread about it. It's your idea and could be your first thread.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:27 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
There are plenty of young Hawks fans my age, but plenty of them can't talk hockey and started watching within 3 years. I've been watching since I was 6 and hopefully you think I'm knowledgeable.

Well I can tell you one thing, I definitely wouldn't have guessed that you were 16. So take that however you'd like.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
TruckTruckGoose
Gunny

Hey Hey! I've been a follower of this board on & off for some time, this is my first post. I'm an active duty United States Marine with 11+ years (I'm a Gunny), and tours to both Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm an Arabic linguist by trade, as well as a water survival instructor and small boat coxswain. I love the water, I love to brew beer, I'm a huge metal-head, I love hot chicks that can skate and I love HOCKEY. My fanaticism in hockey and for the Blackhawks has a bit of a history, so bear with me...

I moved around a lot as a kid because of my old man's job, to include stints in southeast asia, west coast and east coast. My first introduction to a live hockey game was when I was a kid living in NJ in the mid '80s. My dad worked in NYC, but refused to go into the city on his off time due to the traffic. Thus, the Meadowlands was the logical choice (in his opinion) for a place to watch sporting events, and I went to many a Devils game with him. I was a little too young to really grasp/appreciate the sport at that time, and was honestly more excited to watch my childhood buddy get to play pee-wee hockey during intermission rather than the pros.

I really started to get into hockey when NHLPA '93 came out for Sega Genesis. I know, I know, it's a dang video game. Regardless, I lived in Reno, NV at the time, and hockey wasn't exactly a staple of sporting entertainment there. That video game literally taught me about the game, and about the players. It was at this point I started to get to know the Blackhawks, and due to my patriotism, became a big fan of all of the US born players; Roenick is still my all time favorite Blackhawk. As a matter of fact, I met JR at the celebrity golf tourney at Lake Tahoe one year, he actually came up to my buddy and I (we were fresh out of high school) and chatted us up. Our jaws dropped and I don't really remember being able to say much at all because I was in awe. It was pretty awesome.

When I started college (University of Nevada) I still really didn't identify with a team; I'd root for the Sharks back then because they were 'local' and were always such a HUGE underdog. I had two fraternity brothers that were hockey fans. One was a casual Blackhawks fan because of family heritage (he's been my best friend for 18 years), and one was a fanatical Rangers fan. I took up watching games with the Rangers fan because he was always watching the games, and I took them on as my team in the mid '90s. I was a huge fan (and still am) of guys like Richter and Leetch, and I guess you could say that I 'accepted' Gretzky and Messier as well.

I joined the Marine Corps after college at the beginning of 2000, and really didn't have the time or resources to watch games as a young jarhead. I married the coolest chick on the planet in 2001, and my love for the midwest started to grow as she's from Indiana. She and my mom in law took me to Chicago for my first time in 2002 for a Cubs game on a friday in July. I hadn't followed baseball since the strike in '95, and all my favorite players (I was a Twins fan as a kid) were gone. But all it took was to walk into Wrigley Field and I was sold. On that day I fell in love with the Cubs, and with the city of Chicago as a whole. Yet, because I really wasn't able to watch hockey all that much, combined with the debacle that was the '04-'05 'season', my gusto for the game was next to nil. I would say that it was when the 'Hawks drafted a certain Sioux player in '06 that I started following hockey again, albeit a bit slowly, as my side of the family is from North Dakota, and Sioux Hockey is all they know. It didn't hurt my interest either when a certain US born player was taken #1 overall in 2007.

Fast forward to spring of 2010--I had been on a 3 week field exercise in April, sleeping with the rats and snakes and eating MREs for 24 days straight, and had missed not only opening day but the beginning of the NHL Playoffs. My first saturday out of the field was April 24th, and my only goal that day was to watch hockey and drink beer. Fittingly enough, it was game 5 of the Predators/Blackhawks series, and this will forever be known to me as the day that the Blackhawks won my undying love. Kaner's SH goal with :14 seconds left had my heart racing, and Hossa's game winner in OT literally sent me flying, and screaming, off of my couch (much to the terror of my sleeping wife who works nights). My better half and I took a small vacation to Chicago several days later, sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley on Friday afternoon, and ponying up the cash to see our first ever game at the UC (game 1 vs. vancouver...ouch). The National Anthem alone at the UC would probably have been enough to say that the $400+ we dished out was worth it, but we had a great time meeting a lot of really nice 'Hawks fans and watching the game despite the final score. The only part of the Finals I couldn't stand was that I had mandatory pre-deployment training before leaving for Afghanistan, and I had to pull a 'Tommy Boy' during Game 6, running around a mountain on the backside of Camp Pendleton trying to get reception on my cellphone to watch the game. I nearly fell off a cliff when Kane slipped the puck underneath Leighton and made history, and had to hide in my sleeping bag so my Marines couldn't see me getting choked up (...understatement...) while watching Roenick's post-game commentary.

So there you have it, and I'm glad to officially be on these boards. I'm pumped about the Entry Draft, and I can't wait for October. I hope I can make a trip back soon, toss back a few of some of Goose Island's finest, and watch some more Hawk-ey at the UC.

TruckTruckGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Cullksinikers

What a first post!

Welcome.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
What a first post!

Welcome.
And thank you for your service.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
And thank you for your service.
Absolutely.

That should've been the first thing I said.

People like that are why we're able to sit here and talk hockey.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Absolutely.

That should've been the first thing I said.

People like that are why we're able to sit here and talk hockey.
Wasn't trying to one-up ya! Just expounding upon your post cuz I had the exact same thought just wanted to add that part. At any rate, welcome to the board. Lot of fun around here and a good haven from the main boards.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

welcome. Really interesting