HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Mercier Bridge is a Bad Bridge Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 500
OT: The Mercier Bridge is a Bad Bridge Thread

So the Châteauguay-bound lane is closed for the summer due to "Safety concerns", and pretty much being in danger of collapsing into the St. Lawrence. Now, the MTL bound lane is open from 1AM to 12PM, when it then switches to Châteauguay bound from 1PM till 12AM.

Estimated re-opening: "Autumn"
Personally, I think it should be kept to one lane both ways, this is ridiculous. Also, incredible that the government is in talks for a new Hockey arena, when you have an 80 year old bridge which is essentially a hazard.

Anyone else affected by this? I'm really not looking forward to a summer stuck in Chateauguay.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
So the Châteauguay-bound lane is closed for the summer due to "Safety concerns", and pretty much being in danger of collapsing into the St. Lawrence. Now, the MTL bound lane is open from 1AM to 12PM, when it then switches to Châteauguay bound from 1PM till 12AM.

Personally, I think it should be kept to one lane both ways, this is ridiculous. Also, incredible that the government is in talks for a new Hockey arena, when you have an 80 year old bridge which is essentially a hazard.

Anyone else affected by this? I'm really not looking forward to a summer stuck in Chateauguay.
Wow, that's bad. I don't live there anymore, but for having spent a good 16-18 years crossing this bridge regularly if not daily, that must suck BIG TIME for people that have to do it regularly. Circling around takes forever, and the traffic must be crazy with this.

At least the 30 is getting completed, must be faster to reach Champlain this way right?

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post

I took that bridge accidentally one time Cause I went in the wrong direction and ended up in an area where you basically had no where to go but bridge

Anyways it was beyond bad. It looked like it would collapse right there on the spot, then again though so do most roads in Quebec

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
JackZap

theyre all bad..lol

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:21 PM
InglewoodJack

Well, the dude who plays bass in my band just told me it was a 3 hour ride from Angrignon station to Chateauguay... through the Champlain. I agree, the bridge was always bad, but I refuse to look at the prospect of having a summer on the south shore...

Old
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

There's good Montreal bridges? News to me.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Hugo Sham

don't live on the south shore brah problem solved

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
There's good Montreal bridges? News to me.
I'd say that the Laval bridges are in a relatively good shape, but we all hate Laval.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Montreal needs new bridges all together, it's not just the Mercier bridge that's in bad shape.

I agree with poster above, it's unreal that they want to spend 400M on an arena in Quebec City when you have these bridges falling apart in Montreal. I think Montreal is in an excellent position to progress with all the new projects going on, especially the 30, why not go all out and see to it that these bridges get replaced? It would create a boat load of construction jobs in the area as well.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Bob Cole

about time they get it fixed, the condition of the road on the bridge is downright embarrassing with all the patch work. Its almost gotten to the point where its like your doing off roading lol

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 04:53 PM
7th Player

It's affecting everything, the access to Champlain, the Decarie Expressway. Mornings have been infernal.

Thank God for radio.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The state of infrastructure in this province is beyond embarassing. We are living with third-world country level roads and bridges. People make jokes about it but it is ****ing sad as hell that a North American province has pathetic infrastructure like we do, as well as pathetic management in place to run it.

On Friday they announced that the exit on Decarie South going to the 720 East was going to be closed and only one lane would be open effective immediately until DECEMBER. I understand the urgency of safety issues but for there to be literally no notice whatsoever means they had no idea things were as bad as they are. What's worse is I take that exit every day and I have for over 2 years...At least 6-8 months of the last 2 years has seen that exact exit only have 1 lane open due to construction...How was this safety hazard not noticed back then when they were working on it?

And don't even get me started on this arena bullsh*t...This province has it's priorities completely mixed it and it is embarassing. We need new government in place at all levels because we are basically being controlled by the mafia and big business. The deal they are trying to broker in Quebec City with Quebecor is basically illegal which is why the government is trying to rush in legislation to allow it to pass. Plus Montreal agrees to spend hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars on fixing the roof on the Big O, and on the Bixi system. What a joke...Spend $100,000,000 on bicycles when we have no roads to ride them on. It would shock me if the Bixi system ever even makes $100,000,000 in profits, ever. That is wasted money by our corrupt and incompetant government.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Mackee

waffledave hit the nail on the head. It really is so sad that it reached this point. I work on the South Shore and live in the West Island so these lane re-configurations really put a wrench in my program. I now have to detour either via the Champlain or backtrack to the Langlois Bridge in Valleyfield. Not going to be a fun summer.

During the near two years I've been driving the Mercier on a daily basis, there has been several closures due to holes (yes, holes) opening up on the bridge. I just can't believe nothing has been done about it (let's build a new arena instead) until now. Even then, who knows what kind of patchwork job they're going to do this time.

This weekend in particular is going to be pure chaos going from Montreal to the South Shore and vice versa with the Champlain lane closures. At least the Mercier will have one lane operating in each direction. Even then, now that the other side will see heavy use, how long until that portion of the bridge becomes unusable?

I now plan on building a boat. Who's with me?

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:36 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I'd say that the Laval bridges are in a relatively good shape, but we all hate Laval.
Well, we all hate Montreal

<3

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
euphrates

i really hate having to take any bridge off the island .. i actually have a phobia of any bridge! I always have a little panic attack when i know i have no choice but to take one

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Well, we all hate Montreal

<3
It doesn't feel sincere

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
i really hate having to take any bridge off the island .. i actually have a phobia of any bridge! I always have a little panic attack when i know i have no choice but to take one
Don't blame you. These ridiculous jokes we call bridges have a 65% chance of collapsing every time you drive over one. Unfortunately so do all the streets in the downtown core as the metro system is in danger of caving in. I lived in Mexico for 8 months and they have better infrastructure than we do. Mexico.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:00 PM
euphrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Don't blame you. These ridiculous jokes we call bridges have a 65% chance of collapsing every time you drive over one. Unfortunately so do all the streets in the downtown core as the metro system is in danger of caving in. I lived in Mexico for 8 months and they have better infrastructure than we do. Mexico.
pretty happy you did'nt mention the tunnel or else i would be stuck on the island till the end of my life

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
coolasprICE

The trickle down effect is really bad. I've never seen traffic this bad.

It's insane around the decarie circle, especially if you happen to take Marcel Laurin to Decarie at around 330-4pm.

I've noticed that the hotter it gets the worse it is as well.

Thank god I don't live in the south shore.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I don't usually read the long posts but I read them this time and I agree with everything waffledave said.

It's pathetic here.

I got my career job and the first big purchase I made was my new car, and it's depreciating in value every day from the ****** roads I have to drive on. How can we have such crap roads when Ontario, who has pretty much the same weather as us, has great roads? It's ******** and they don't care because it just means we have to spend more money at garages fixing our cars and buy new rims and tires and they get to collect all the tax money on that to NOT spend it on our roads.

Québec sucks.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:25 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Aren't some of those bridges Federal propriety? I think Champlain is. Anyway, good thing I live in Laval. We just a new bridge and the existing bridges are in good state.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:06 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Was in Mtl with my wife three years ago and we visited Kahnawake. Traffic was slow as we drove over the Mercier and I seriously found it hard to believe, erosion had opened up space between the road and the guardrail, space wide enough to put a bicycle through. Plus it is high, which adds to the effect of fragility. The Mercier has just got worse and worse, maybe some Montrealers don't notice it slipping away a bit every year, but honestly that old ******* would not pass inspection in a lot of countries. Yes I've lived in Japan for awhile so am accustomed to new and maintained. But by any standards this bridge is terrifying.

Last edited by JLP: 06-15-2011 at 07:14 PM.
JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:10 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Was visiting with my wife three years ago and we visited Kahnawake. Traffic was slow as we drove over the Mercier and I seriously was terrified, erosion had opened up space between the road and the guardrail, space wide enough to put a bicycle through. Plus it is high, which adds to the effect. Yes I've lived in Japan for awhile so am accustomed to new and maintained. But by any standards this brifge was terrifying.
The hell were you doing there?

Old
06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

The only good bridge is by toll lol

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Aren't some of those bridges Federal propriety? I think Champlain is. Anyway, good thing I live in Laval. We just a new bridge and the existing bridges are in good state.
I'm pretty sure all bridges are under federal jurisdiction

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote