HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If Souray is available......Would U?

View Poll Results: If Sourey is available, would you sign him for the League minimum?
Yes, give him a shot 21 16.67%
NO WAY - run and do not look back 105 83.33%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Maverik

vCash: 500
Hamilton/8D when our guys starts going down again. Yes.

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I know it would work because I used to put Souray at centre on the PP in NHL 2k6. He was the bomb.
It's not such a bad idea using him as forward. He's big, tell him to park himself in front of the net.

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

It would be interesting, but he's too injury prone, and I'd rather keep Wiz.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If Souray is bought out, he'll sign an NHL contract and play in the NHL, expecting him to be available to play in Hamilton after being bought out is not living in a real world.

I'm sure he would have been picked on waivers if not for the 5.5+ mil pricetag for 2 years. I think he'll sign for around 2 mil for 1 year and be penciled in as a #4-5-6 guy to help the PP wherever he signs.

He's not really a good fit here, we already have Weber for that type of role as a #5-6-7 next year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Miller Time

i'd definitely give him a shot...

as much as people make fun of his mobility, or lack thereof, let's not forget that we had Gill playing 20+min/game in the playoffs this year. Gill makes Souray look like jeff Skinner...

he's big, tough as nails, a good teammate/leader (his issues in Edm were with management, not lockerroom), has a great shot, and most importantly, he'll be looking to prove himself next season. I bet he's putting in the best offseason of his life, and will come into next season ready to show he's still a quality NHLer.

I doubt we bring him in, b/c our management team doesn't seem to have that saavy opportunistic streak in them, but whereever he does end up, i bet he puts up 30+pts and plays a steady top 4 role for them.

I could see him ending up in Detroit (yet another successful reclamation project), or perhaps SJ...

he'd be a great fit for us, sign him instead of re-signing Wiz (thus saving 2-3M$), and give him every opportunity to earn a spot next to Markov (whom he worked well with in the past).

Markov-Souray
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Emelin/Weber
Spacek

I'd be happy with that, and if Souray does falter, one of Emelin/Weber/Spacek replaces him AND we have the cap space to make a move in season, potentially targetting a long-term top-4 solution.

* in this scenario, Gorges/Subban would be the #1 "shutdown" pairing, relieving Markov of the burden of the heavier match-ups until playoff time, allowing us to manage his minutes in teh regular season.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
canadiensnation
The Drive for 25.

Who wants Souray back?

Don't think he can play like this what a monster he was.
2:58 best goal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHSH...eature=related

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I don't.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Me neither.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
At his price tag? No thanks. Fragile player whom prides himself on physicality and a slapshot? Also arguably a cancer in the room for young players? No thanks.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Err... no thanks.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

What the ****. Wasn't there a Souray thread yesterday ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
This again?

My answer remains the same.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Let me keep this as "tame" as possible:

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:58 PM
canadiensnation
The Drive for 25.

SORRY to all who sound pissed, wasn't aware of Souray thread just wanted to do a little survey.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Short answer: No

Long Answer:.......No

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Short answer: No

Long Answer:.......No
Very long answer : No no no, Ted, no no no no, you can't do this to me, no no no no

Searched but couldn't find the video of Barney saying it in HIMYM.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Pr3Va1L

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Spacek + 6th for Souray and then keep Souray in Hamilton? Yes.
Otherwise? No.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If Souray is bought out, he'll sign an NHL contract and play in the NHL, expecting him to be available to play in Hamilton after being bought out is not living in a real world.
it's called a joke

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

as much as people make fun of his mobility, or lack thereof, let's not forget that we had Gill playing 20+min/game in the playoffs this year. Gill makes Souray look like jeff Skinner...

he's big, tough as nails, a good teammate/leader (his issues in Edm were with management, not lockerroom), has a great shot, and most importantly, he'll be looking to prove himself next season. I bet he's putting in the best offseason of his life, and will come into next season ready to show he's still a quality NHLer.

I doubt we bring him in, b/c our management team doesn't seem to have that saavy opportunistic streak in them, but whereever he does end up, i bet he puts up 30+pts and plays a steady top 4 role for them.

I could see him ending up in Detroit (yet another successful reclamation project), or perhaps SJ...

he'd be a great fit for us, sign him instead of re-signing Wiz (thus saving 2-3M$), and give him every opportunity to earn a spot next to Markov (whom he worked well with in the past).

Markov-Souray
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Emelin/Weber
Spacek

I'd be happy with that, and if Souray does falter, one of Emelin/Weber/Spacek replaces him AND we have the cap space to make a move in season, potentially targetting a long-term top-4 solution.

* in this scenario, Gorges/Subban would be the #1 "shutdown" pairing, relieving Markov of the burden of the heavier match-ups until playoff time, allowing us to manage his minutes in teh regular season.

okay, so NO other team even took a shot at claiming him last year, and even if he is bought out, he MAY get a tryout this year from another team. He had 4 goals and 15 assists in the AHL and you want him on our TOP pairing??

Dude, if Souray is your pick for top 2, is the Flower the answer for the Pleky---Cammi line???

PG already talked about getting his D...YOUNGER, FASTER and more MOBILE this year.... everthing Souray is NOT!

Not going to happen.... EVER!

I think your way past Miller time my friend... onto harder stuff!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Spacek + 6th for Souray and then keep Souray in Hamilton? Yes.
Otherwise? No.
Good answer...now that's a thought to get rid of Spacek and sign Wiz!

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
shamrun

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...ine-81742.html

More important fish to fry and since his shoulder injury i think his slap shot is not as effective.... Think ill pass on Sheldon.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

Markov-Souray
Gorges-Subban
Gill-Emelin/Weber
Spacek

Good post. Especially the part about opportunistic streak -lessness. But again, it's important to remember that it applies to the 2008-09 version of Souray at most recent. I don't think it has been long enough, or that Souray is old enough, for him to have fallen from his 2008/09 form just due to "natural causes". But it's the unnatural ones that I'd be worried about - i.e. the injuries.

I didn't watch him in the AHL this past season, so I don't feel like judging him too harshly on that. Maybe some of you did watch him. I don't know how much the injuries have affected him. Or how well he'll rehab and bounce back from them. But based on how good he was in 2008-09, and what a great team player he was for us prior to that, I'd be very keen to offer him a training camp tryout. It's all about evaluating his physical state. If he's healthy, then he's a good player. Camp is enough to evaluate that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

For league minimum I'd definitely entertain it. Play him as a forward on the fourth line and on the point on the PP's. He has serious chemistry with Markov as the trigger man, it's an option.

He's too slow and erratic defensively to take a regular shift back there, his toughness and size might be somewhat useful to us as a fourth-line forward though. I'd invite him to camp and try him at that position and see how it works.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I didn't watch him in the AHL this past season, so I don't feel like judging him too harshly on that. Maybe some of you did watch him. I don't know how much the injuries have affected him. Or how well he'll rehab and bounce back from them. But based on how good he was in 2008-09, and what a great team player he was for us prior to that, I'd be very keen to offer him a training camp tryout. It's all about evaluating his physical state. If he's healthy, then he's a good player. Camp is enough to evaluate that.
I saw him once as the Dogs only see Hershey once or twice a year. He didn't look very good from what I recall, not that it means anything but I don't think there would be much of a market for him in the NHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote