HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier says he's aware he could be Back Up Option

Old
06-15-2011, 07:25 PM
JABEE

vCash: 500
Bernier says he's aware he could be Back Up Option

On CKAC Radio in Montreal, Jonathan Bernier supposedly told the station that he is aware that he could be the backup option in Philadelphia provided that Bryzgalov doesn't sign.

http://twitter.com/The4thPeriodDB/st...35121717137408

Dennis Bernstein The Fourth Period:
@LAKingsDru Bernier told French speaking station he heard PHI trade rumors if Bryzgalov doesn't come to terms.

Last edited by JABEE: 06-15-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Rumor And Title
JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
On CKAC Radio in Montreal, Jonathan Bernier supposedly told the station that he is aware that he could be the backup option in Philadelphia provided that Bryzgalov doesn't sign.

http://twitter.com/The4thPeriodDB/st...35121717137408

Dennis Bernstein The Fourth Period:
@LAKingsDru Bernier told French speaking station he heard PHI trade rumors if Bryzgalov doesn't come to terms.
Kings fans will expect Carter or JVR to be coming the other way.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

Bob and Bernier could be a great tandem. Bernier is ready to be a number one and has had flashes of brilliance. I have little doubt that he's going to be a work horse top ten goalie in the league. It'd be interesting to see him platoon with Bob for the first year.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Kings fans will expect Carter or JVR to be coming the other way.
Obviously not for Bernier straight up...

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I know Bernier has a lot of potential, but he really hasn't proven anything yet.
He may or may not be an upgrade over Bobs the next two seasons, but is it worth what he'd cost to acquire? Probably not.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I could live with that tandem but still risk a carousel if one of them can't secure the starting position hands down. It all depends on what else they would get.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
flountown

If you look at recent goalie trades for comparison, I would think the pedigree of Halak or Lehtonen, and each of those have proven more at an NHL level. I think LA fans will be under whelmed by whatever they get for Bernier. Certainly not a deal based around Carter or JVR, that is laughable.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Bernier isn't proven enough to net anything great, imo.

06-15-2011, 08:03 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bernier isn't proven enough to net anything great, imo.
this.

we don't need young and unproven, regardless of how much potential bernier has. this team could potentially have a very small window of legit ability to win a cup. we need a veteran, proven top flight goaltender who can steady the ship. that is not bernier

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This is a bad idea IMO if Bryz doesn't sign. Why trade for potential when we have that already in Bob? If Bryz or Vokoun doesn't sign here, the Flyers should go after an established goalie or stick with Bob. Trading for a different unproven goalie and having Bob and Bernier compete makes very little sense IMO. Could easily wind up with two middle of the road goalies after having given up something potentially substantial to get a guy like Bernier.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
This is a bad idea IMO if Bryz doesn't sign. Why trade for potential when we have that already in Bob? If Bryz or Vokoun doesn't sign here, the Flyers should go after an established goalie or stick with Bob. Trading for a different unproven goalie and having Bob and Bernier compete makes very little sense IMO. Could easily wind up with two middle of the road goalies after having given up something potentially substantial to get a guy like Bernier.
If we can't get Bryz or Vokoun, just try to trade for Nabokov as a back up and be an ideal backup/mentor for Bob. Seriously, I don't know why the Islanders would want him so badly, unless it's just because of a business standpoint and he supposedly owes the Islanders something.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Fulton44*

The Flyers probably leaked this rumor to help in their negotiations with Winter and Bryz.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
The Flyers probably leaked this rumor to help in their negotiations with Winter and Bryz.
The Flyers told a player on another team to tell a station no one in Philadelphia has heard of that he is a backup option if they don't sign Bryz?

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:19 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

this would make no sense. Bernier obviously has been daydreamin and is in love with us but he's more compatible with a team like edmonton thats building and has tons of picks and prospects to counter back to fill other voids for the kings. We're old and ready. its 2 or 3 years and then the set back comes. you need MENTAL toughness on top of NHL confidence which he cant possibly have with his limited experience. i've seen him play. he's not patrick roy. i dont even know if bryzgalovs gonna cut it and he's as good as it gets right now.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:20 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 1299
I like this option waayy better than signing Bryz. Assuming he would actually get $5.5+. This would give us much more flexibility in the FA market and still ensures that MFL and Boosh don't play unless there are injuries.

I hope there's something to this.

silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:32 PM
lancer247

Bryz causes them to shed players to create cap space. - carle/versteeg

Bernier causes them to lose player in a trade. carle/vertseeg

Upside is they get to hold onto Bob.
Downside is Bernier isn't as much a sure thing as Bryz to win right now.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Bryz causes them to shed players to create cap space. - carle/versteeg

Bernier causes them to lose player in a trade. carle/vertseeg

Upside is they get to hold onto Bob.
Downside is Bernier isn't as much a sure thing as Bryz to win right now.
Bernier isn't a sure thing at all. He's got what, half of season under his belt? Bob has a whole season and played fine. If we aren't getting a top flight goalie, why go after a different young prospect when we have one in Bob already? If they can't get Bryz or Vokoun or make a trade for an established goalie, just hand the keys to Bob.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:41 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Bernier isn't a sure thing at all. He's got what, half of season under his belt? Bob has a whole season and played fine. If we aren't getting a top flight goalie, why go after a different young prospect when we have one in Bob already? If they can't get Bryz or Vokoun or make a trade for an established goalie, just hand the keys to Bob.
Exactly my point.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
PhillyCurt12

wasn't there a rumor a year or two ago that the kings were inquiring about the price to acquire hartnell? that trade would make more sense than one involving carter to LA.

but if carter does go to LA, I would honestly want bernier + brown + one of their top d prospects.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
The Flyers told a player on another team to tell a station no one in Philadelphia has heard of that he is a backup option if they don't sign Bryz?
We all know about it now, don't we?

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:33 AM
IceHot

Bernier allows us more freedom salary cap wise to keep our core including keeping Leino and maybe picking up a defensman. We could trade Versteeg or Hartnell and not skip a beat. You'd still be able to afford a veteran Goalie if need be down the road later in the season. The Bryz cap would hurt us in the next couple years, it will tie our hands and Bernier can't do any worse then Bryz did against Detroit. *L*

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

This makes basically no sense unless he isn't going to cost much in a trade. Maybe they think that bringing in another young goalie gives them double the chance that they get a franchise goalie in a couple years?

If that's the case though, why trade all those picks? Why trade for Pronger? If you're going to go all in you can't just fold. You'd be undermining yourself by building a win now team and giving them a goalie for the future.

I'd rather just keep Bob.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
wasn't there a rumor a year or two ago that the kings were inquiring about the price to acquire hartnell? that trade would make more sense than one involving carter to LA.

but if carter does go to LA, I would honestly want bernier + brown + one of their top d prospects.
I'd rather do Bernier, Jack Johnson, and a top forward prospect (Toffoli perhaps)

Or Bernier, JJ, and Simmonds if LA is willing to give up that much for Carter.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
This makes basically no sense unless he isn't going to cost much in a trade. Maybe they think that bringing in another young goalie gives them double the chance that they get a franchise goalie in a couple years?

If that's the case though, why trade all those picks? Why trade for Pronger? If you're going to go all in you can't just fold. You'd be undermining yourself by building a win now team and giving them a goalie for the future.

I'd rather just keep Bob.
It makes sense as a backup plan.

The Flyers have liked Bryzgalov for a long time. I heard from a reliable source a couple years ago that the Flyers were close to a deal for Bryzgalov and Derek Morris that fell through. Morris ended up going to the Rangers, IIRC.

If they can't get Bryz to sign reasonably, they have to let him walk.

If they don't think Vokoun will sign, they have to turn to other options.

Acc. to the rumours, Homer discussed Steve Mason with Columbus. Now Bernier. I'm sure Schneider will come up.

I think if LA could get Versteeg and a decent prospect or player from us (Nodl, Carcillo), in exchange for Bernier and one of their surplus D prospects (Voynov?), it would be worth it for them, as they can't keep Bernier as a backup forever, assuming they've decided to stick with Quick.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It makes sense as a backup plan.

The Flyers have liked Bryzgalov for a long time. I heard from a reliable source a couple years ago that the Flyers were close to a deal for Bryzgalov and Derek Morris that fell through. Morris ended up going to the Rangers, IIRC.

If they can't get Bryz to sign reasonably, they have to let him walk.

If they don't think Vokoun will sign, they have to turn to other options.

Acc. to the rumours, Homer discussed Steve Mason with Columbus. Now Bernier. I'm sure Schneider will come up.

I think if LA could get Versteeg and a decent prospect or player from us (Nodl, Carcillo), in exchange for Bernier and one of their surplus D prospects (Voynov?), it would be worth it for them, as they can't keep Bernier as a backup forever, assuming they've decided to stick with Quick.
I don't think it makes sense unless they don't have faith in Bob, or they think Bernier is ready to be a franchise player.

A backup plan should be Vokoun, Roloson, Nabokov, a trade for a solid experienced goalie, or just bringing in a solid vet to back up Bob.

Why remove depth to add an unknown?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote