HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks almost moved up at the 2003 draft...

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
Canucks almost moved up at the 2003 draft...

You guys wanna see something interesting? Watch this weeks NHL CoolShots:

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/watch/video/index.html

(towards the bottom)

There's a ton of draft-day coverage. While most of it circles around Marc-Andre Fleury, they had a few cameras among the team tables, cutting between stuff.

In one cut you see Brian Burke pulling Kevin Lowe from the Oilers table saying "C'mere, I want to talk to you..." it cuts to some other stuff, then cuts to Brian Burke saying to K-Lowe "I don't have a third rounder! I can give you a third rounder for next year, but you have to wait a year." at which point Lowe shakes his head. Dang

There was also this inexplicable bit where some GM tells Don Waddell they have Dustin Brown rated as the top player in the draft. That seemed kind of bizarre, but maybe he was lying to through Waddell off...

Old
10-16-2003, 02:05 PM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
In one cut you see Brian Burke pulling Kevin Lowe from the Oilers table saying "C'mere, I want to talk to you..." it cuts to some other stuff, then cuts to Brian Burke saying to K-Lowe "I don't have a third rounder! I can give you a third rounder for next year, but you have to wait a year." at which point Lowe shakes his head. Dang
Ok, I pulled out my Official Guide and Record book to see what draft spots this may have been for and found out that they've changed the book. Used to be that each spot in the draft said something like "Col-Edm-Det" for a pick that had been traded twice. Now, it just says "Det", so you can't see pick movement anymore.

What's with all the publications this year? They're frickin' useless, they keep elimininating vital information in some misguided effort to be more hip or attractive.

Edmonton ended up picking #22 in front of us, but I don't believe that was their original spot.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:07 PM
xtra

maybe Burke was after Praise

originally the oil drafted at 17

Old
10-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Ok, I pulled out my Official Guide and Record book to see what draft spots this may have been for and found out that they've changed the book. Used to be that each spot in the draft said something like "Col-Edm-Det" for a pick that had been traded twice. Now, it just says "Det", so you can't see pick movement anymore.

What's with all the publications this year? They're frickin' useless, they keep elimininating vital information in some misguided effort to be more hip or attractive.

Edmonton ended up picking #22 in front of us, but I don't believe that was their original spot.
They traded with New Jersey. Where was Parise picked? That's the original spot.

Old
10-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Tom.H

I am not familiar with Praise, or for that matter players around where Edmonton was. But, judging from the way Kesler has played so far, I have to say that I am quite happy with him.

Anyone know how the players rated around 17 are doing?

Old
10-17-2003, 05:21 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

it must have been Praise he was after... after the 16th pick there was lots of activity with Edmonton at the draft... Praise was still left and many thought he'd be a top 10 selection.

Lamerello eventually was able to make the deal, but it sounds like Burke could have had him for a similar price - our top pick and the 3rd round pick...

Kesler so far has turned out pretty nice, but Praise has lots of upside and is considered a high character player (which is why Lamerello went after him, and probably why Burke was interested)...

so would you rather have Praise, or Kesler and May (it's debatable too whether May would have re-signed with us, if he was a UFA out of Phoenix, instead of coming here at the deadline)?

If we didn't deal for May at the deadline, we'd likely have Praise instead right now instead of Kesler.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:43 AM
CFABoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
it must have been Praise he was after... after the 16th pick there was lots of activity with Edmonton at the draft... Praise was still left and many thought he'd be a top 10 selection.

Lamerello eventually was able to make the deal, but it sounds like Burke could have had him for a similar price - our top pick and the 3rd round pick...

Kesler so far has turned out pretty nice, but Praise has lots of upside and is considered a high character player (which is why Lamerello went after him, and probably why Burke was interested)...

so would you rather have Praise, or Kesler and May (it's debatable too whether May would have re-signed with us, if he was a UFA out of Phoenix, instead of coming here at the deadline)?

If we didn't deal for May at the deadline, we'd likely have Praise instead right now instead of Kesler.
Parise for sure has higher upside than Kesler , and so would Tambellini

Old
10-17-2003, 03:35 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFABoy
Parise for sure has higher upside than Kesler , and so would Tambellini
Kesler is the safest pick out of all 3 though. Kesler will play in the NHL someday because he is versatile and can play a checking role. Parise and Tambellini are small skilled forwards who would need to play amoung the top 6.

Closed Thread