HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Now that we've officially entered the off season, anyone start the countdown on the clock for Drury's buyout?

Old
06-15-2011, 10:14 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I miss hockey already

06-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Its going to be a looooooong few months of no hockey. I love baseball, but it doesn't compare.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I miss Drury doing well...

Oh wait...

Old
06-15-2011, 10:46 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
There's no point in NOT buying Drury out. I mean are you really going to have a 7M shell of his former self as your 4th line center? Regardless of whether Richards is signed Drury needs to be bought out. Yes, we'll have to deal with that 1M+ hit next year...but that's the least of our worries.
reason to not do it is to avoid the dead cap space next year...IF you aren't going to put the $$ you save this year to immediate use (ie don't sign richards)

not saying i'd do this but if you buyout wolski you save the same $3.3 mil this year and only take a $600k hit next year. instead of 1.6 mil next year with drury...

Old
06-16-2011, 12:16 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I miss hockey already
I've been missing hockey for the last month and a half.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:22 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I've been missing hockey for the last month and a half.
Me too but at least some of the playoff games filled a void for me personally.

Now there is nothing at all. We get a little action next week and the week after that and then there's nothing for like 2-3 months.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:42 AM
eco's bones

Not buying out Drury means pretty much a $7 mil dollar hole in our lineup this season. That's significant.

Going after Richards will be a lot easier knowing that we have about an extra $ 3.5 mil to spend.

Drury is washed up. Last year's numbers are not necessarily an aberration. Torts was moving AHL call ups to the 3rd line last year and keeping Drury on the 4th when we were getting hit hard by injuries.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Why doesn't Sather try to get a deal with Richards or whoever he plans on going after and then buy out Drury? If we don't sign anyone, we might as well have Drury on the roster for one more year instead of his buyout cap hit going against the cap for two years.

06-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Faxius

vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Why doesn't Sather try to get a deal with Richards or whoever he plans on going after and then buy out Drury? If we don't sign anyone, we might as well have Drury on the roster for one more year instead of his buyout cap hit going against the cap for two years.
Because there is a time limit when Drury can be bought out, and that ends June 30th, right before free agency starts.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Drury will be gone unless his knee is an issue.

Quote:
The window opens Friday, 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final is finished. It ends June 30. At some point in the window, much closer to the end than the beginning, the Blue Jackets are expected to say goodbye to defenseman Mike Commodore.

Why wait?

The simple reason is because there's no reason to do it early. There's a chance -- albeit slim -- that the Blue Jackets could find a match with another club facing a buyout of their own. If they like Commodore, and the Blue Jackets like their "undesirable contract", perhaps a match can be found.
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2011/06...ted_soon.shtml

Scott Howson has admitted talking to a few teams about a Commodore deal.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

THN has a list of possible buyouts

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...andidates.html

Quote:
8. Nikolai Khabibulin, Oilers
Khabibulin hasnít been a total washout since he signed a four-year, $15-million deal in 2009. But heís won just 17 games since then and is a 38-year-old whose best days clearly are behind him.
35+ contract. The cap hit remains the same if they buy him out. They save real dollars but still take the same cap hit.

Drury is #1 on the list

Commodore is #4. The 2nd year remaining on his deal makes him to a tough sell except for Drury. Commodore is owed $6.85M over the next 2 years.

Quote:
If you are wondering about Sheldon Souray's status, the buyout period doesn't officially start until 48 hours after the Cup final. So the earliest we see any buyouts is probably late Friday night or early Saturday morning. I'm sure the Oilers will look at possible trades, but how many teams would be willing to take Souray's contract combined with his rash of injuries.

Mike Commodore has two years left on his deal, and if the Rangers are considering buying out Drury, he has a no-movement clause, so a trade might be hard. I don't think either move would really help the Oilers. If Commodore had only one year left on his deal I'd trade for him, but that second year is hard to overlook.
http://oilersnation.com/2011/6/15/trade-hemsky-2

Clarkson is #10 on the list.

Staple wrote about trading Drury for a player with longer term remaining on his contract.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:28 AM
beastly115

Is Souray a 35+ contract? I could see Sather trading Drury for him (conditional on them buying him out) and taking Souray. If Souray doesn't work we send him down and free the cap space.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:38 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Is Souray a 35+ contract? I could see Sather trading Drury for him (conditional on them buying him out) and taking Souray. If Souray doesn't work we send him down and free the cap space.
No. Souray is only 34 now, and was signed to his current deal prior to 2007-2008.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I think you missed my point...leadership does not equal performance and performance does not equal leadership. As I stated in my post to compare Drury's performance vs Jagr would be a fools errand, only a crazy person would do that.

As I sated in earlier posts I'm VERY happy that Dury is being bought out.

But posters are stating he didn't take the team anywhere, which is fair but everyone has to be judged using the same criteria then.

A lot of people killed Jagr for not being in shootouts when he was here and questioned his leadership because of that and other things and now all of a sudden it's the good old days.

Again I'm not defending Drury, I was against his contract from the start.
Your point leaves out the crucial fact that the two are linked and one contributes to the other. Again you include OVERALL which means everything including performance and it's just insane to even think of comparing NYR Drury to jagr or Mess. Jagr took a bottom 5 team and made them contenders for the division. He also broke records. In hindsight anyone who thinks SO complaints are a large factor in Jagr's tenure here are just grasping at straws. What SO moments did Dru have? None so why even bring it up?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
No. Souray is only 34 now, and was signed to his current deal prior to 2007-2008.
I beleive in a one yr deal a 35 plus can be sent to the minors with the salary not counting. Brashear had that happen right?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Any beat writers post anything today? And oh yeah changed the user name and avatar

Old
06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Quote:
5. Rostislav Olesz, Panthers

Yes, Olesz missed 38 games last season due to injuries and only scored six goals and 17 points. But heís only reached the 14-goal plateau mark twice in his six-year NHL career. With three years and about $9.4 million left on his contract, heís earning too much to be that unproductive.
Allan Walsh says Olesz cannot be bought out:

"Hey guys I must clarify my earlier blog entry. I was unaware that Rostislav Olesz is still recovering from a torn ACL and because the doctors wonít clear him to play until training camp opens in September the buyout period will be over by then. I want to thank his agent Allan Walsh from Octagon for setting me straight. He also said the Panthers are still counting on Olesz to turn his potential into on-ice production."

Old
06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
gotmonte

isnt it 48 hours AFTER the Stanley Cup is awarded thats when buyouts can happen?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I beleive in a one yr deal a 35 plus can be sent to the minors with the salary not counting. Brashear had that happen right?
well, no. there's a few different issues here. Souray is not a 35+ contract because when he signed it, he was under 35. 1 year deals are never 35+ contracts, and the first year of 35+ contracts can be treated normally as well. So Brashear could get sent down in year 1 of his contract with no cap implications, but not in year 2.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:40 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Allan Walsh says Olesz cannot be bought out:

"Hey guys I must clarify my earlier blog entry. I was unaware that Rostislav Olesz is still recovering from a torn ACL and because the doctors wonít clear him to play until training camp opens in September the buyout period will be over by then. I want to thank his agent Allan Walsh from Octagon for setting me straight. He also said the Panthers are still counting on Olesz to turn his potential into on-ice production."
drury for olesz...do it slats

Old
06-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

For Drury the buyout is basically certain. I do think that there are teams that will give him another chance. Got me thinking...After the buyout, he basically becomes a free agent correct? With that said, Drury's no movement clause was largely due to him not wanting to move his family around right? Gotta wonder if Garth Snow may give him a chance on Long Island? Team has an abundance of young talent there and not a lot of vet leadership. Team has plenty of room under the cap, and being Drury is off a buyout he could potentially sign for peanuts for a season. Plus...the extra "up yours" to the Rangers if Drury somehow resurrects his career there, much like Parentau did.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
For Drury the buyout is basically certain. I do think that there are teams that will give him another chance. Got me thinking...After the buyout, he basically becomes a free agent correct? With that said, Drury's no movement clause was largely due to him not wanting to move his family around right? Gotta wonder if Garth Snow may give him a chance on Long Island? Team has an abundance of young talent there and not a lot of vet leadership. Team has plenty of room under the cap, and being Drury is off a buyout he could potentially sign for peanuts for a season. Plus...the extra "up yours" to the Rangers if Drury somehow resurrects his career there, much like Parentau did.
What's he gonna do, quintuple his goal scoring? lol

Old
06-16-2011, 02:57 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Your point leaves out the crucial fact that the two are linked and one contributes to the other. Again you include OVERALL which means everything including performance and it's just insane to even think of comparing NYR Drury to jagr or Mess. Jagr took a bottom 5 team and made them contenders for the division. He also broke records. In hindsight anyone who thinks SO complaints are a large factor in Jagr's tenure here are just grasping at straws. What SO moments did Dru have? None so why even bring it up?
Again you missed my point...if the 2 are linked then Gaborik using his first season here as the bar, should have been Captain. You can be a great performer and not be a good leader.

You also missed where I said anyone trying to compare Dury to Jagr woul be CRAZY...how much clearer can I be?

And there were other complaints about Jagr's leadership besides the SO, going back a little further a lot of fans thought that the C weighed to heavily on Leetch because much like Drury he was a pretty soft-spoken guy.

I've been fairly consistent that I think Drury should be gone and I'm HAPPY that he will be gone...but nobody knows what happens in the locker room...THAT was my only point.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Janerixon

Just got home from work but heard Messier on the Michael Kay show with Kay and Don La Greca. Last question Don asked was about the buyout of Drury and why it didn't work for Chris in NY. Thought Messier's response was very telling as he said its not that it didn't work but Chris has been often injured and the game has gotten faster and stronger while Chris is getting older. Said Chris WAS a good captain and leader and it certainly sounded like he has already been bought out just not announced.

Sure did not sound like Drury would be moved to another team for another player to be bought out to save cap space. That is just how it came off to me, hopefully it will be announced sooner as opposed to later for Drury, the organization, and most importantly us so we can stop talking about it!

Closed Thread