HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Gorton's role in Bruins Cup win

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2011, 10:29 PM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
Jeff Gorton's role in Bruins Cup win

Quote:
Special thanks 2 Jeff Gorton: Asst GM when B's signed Thomas, interim GM drafted Kessel, Lucic, Marchand; traded 4 Rask signed Chara, Savard
https://twitter.com/#!/kluedeke29/st...90413385474048

We have discussed Gorton here before. Rangers assistant director of player personnel since 2008. He joined the Rangers as a pro scout in 2007 after getting fired from Boston. Gordie Clark and Gorton run the Rangers personnel department.

Selected Kessel,Lucic and Marchand in the first 3 rounds in 2006

Andrew Raycroft for Rask

Signed Chara and Savard as free agents

Peter Chiarelli was still under contract to Ottawa and couldn't join them into after July 1. Mike O'Connell had been fired and Gortion was the interim GM.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
  #2
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Unsung hero.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
  #3
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 500
Makes you think for sure. The guy sure seems like he knows what he's doing. It makes me feel more and more comfortable about the future of this team and the decisions made by our scouting staff regarding our prospects.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:38 PM
  #4
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Well lets all hope Jeff and Gordie can make magic out of this draft.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
  #5
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/kluedeke29/st...90413385474048

We have discussed Gorton here before. Rangers assistant director of player personnel since 2008. He joined the Rangers as a pro scout in 2007 after getting fired from Boston. Gordie Clark and Gorton run the Rangers personnel department.

Selected Kessel,Lucic and Marchand in the first 3 rounds in 2006

Andrew Raycroft for Rask

Signed Chara and Savard as free agents

Peter Chiarelli was still under contract to Ottawa and couldn't join them into after July 1. Mike O'Connell had been fired and Gortion was the interim GM.
I'd say the guy knows what he's doing.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:31 AM
  #6
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,371
vCash: 500
I said it before & I'll say it again...

1. SO SO glad he didn't get hired by the Panthers when that GM vacancy was for the taking.

2. I think more highly of him than Risebrough.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:18 AM
  #7
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,066
vCash: 500
Gorton ftw?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:25 AM
  #8
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
If I am Dolan/Sather, I lock up Groton and Clark for as long and as much as they want...those are the guys you overpay for.

I think you don't see Sather getting hosed on trades because he has both of those guys in his ear.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:33 AM
  #9
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Selected Kessel,Lucic and Marchand in the first 3 rounds in 2006
What's even more impressive is Kessel was a consolation prize. He was going hard after the Washington pick to take Nick Backstrom.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
  #10
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
There's the youtube video of Gorton talking to McPhee about trading up 1 spot. Gorton wanted the Swede. Backstrom. The Caps wanted him too. Clark and Gorton basically run the Rangers with Sather. Schoenfeld travels with the team on the road helping out with the D and at the morning skate. He sits with Sather at the games. Besides keeping tabs on the Whale,he doesn't do anything else. Doesn't scout anywhere. Doesn't negotiate any contracts. Cam Hope negotiates the entry level deals and helps Sather with the other deals. Hope does all of the CBA stuff. Clark,Gorton and Hedberg in Europe run the personnel and scouting staffs. They handle the draft. Even when it came time to acquire Erixon,Clark and his staff pushed for Erixon. Next Friday,Clark and Gorton will look at the options with Sather at the draft.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:15 AM
  #11
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
In Gordie (and Gortie) We Trust.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
  #12
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Really interesting stuff guys...

Glad this guy's in a position where he has a voice.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:21 AM
  #13
beastly115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,424
vCash: 500
Werent people advocating him for Sathers job when he steps down? Definitely seems like a viable candidate.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
  #14
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Werent people advocating him for Sathers job when he steps down? Definitely seems like a viable candidate.
He'd absolutely be my choice. Knows the system and has a good track record. I also feel like he'd be less inclined to make a "splash" when he took the position compared to a guy like Messier. Something tells me a guy like Mess would want to put his stamp on the team right away. With Gorton, he's already put his stamp on things.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:32 AM
  #15
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Werent people advocating him for Sathers job when he steps down? Definitely seems like a viable candidate.
I was advocating that everyone move up 1 spot. Clark as GM, Gorton as Director of Player Personnel and Messier as his assistant. If Sather wanted to stay on as President, that's fine. I just want to get him out of being involved in player decisions.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:40 AM
  #16
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I was advocating that everyone move up 1 spot. Clark as GM, Gorton as Director of Player Personnel and Messier as his assistant. If Sather wanted to stay on as President, that's fine. I just want to get him out of being involved in player decisions.
From your lips to Dolan's tiny brain.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
  #17
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I was advocating that everyone move up 1 spot. Clark as GM, Gorton as Director of Player Personnel and Messier as his assistant. If Sather wanted to stay on as President, that's fine. I just want to get him out of being involved in player decisions.
From a business POV, & a in terms of making progress with the franchise -
that makes complete sense.

..that's why it will never happen.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:29 AM
  #18
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.
 
SwedishBullet62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I was advocating that everyone move up 1 spot. Clark as GM, Gorton as Director of Player Personnel and Messier as his assistant. If Sather wanted to stay on as President, that's fine. I just want to get him out of being involved in player decisions.
So when u buying the team and getting this done it's a great idea just probably never happens with Dolan at the helm.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
  #19
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
So when u buying the team and getting this done it's a great idea just probably never happens with Dolan at the helm.
<- checks wallet...

Seems I'm a bit short. Maybe I can get some compromising photos of Dolan and Isaiah.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
  #20
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin
 
Darrelle Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Congrats to Gorton, certainly knows how to scout players.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
  #21
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He'd absolutely be my choice. Knows the system and has a good track record. I also feel like he'd be less inclined to make a "splash" when he took the position compared to a guy like Messier. Something tells me a guy like Mess would want to put his stamp on the team right away. With Gorton, he's already put his stamp on things.
Excellent point.

All the Satherites around here always ask well who would my choice for GM be? Still the same answers - Hedberg or Gorton. Great thing that we have both in the organization, but if Slither stays much longer these guys will leave for GM positions they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There's the youtube video of Gorton talking to McPhee about trading up 1 spot. Gorton wanted the Swede. Backstrom. The Caps wanted him too. Clark and Gorton basically run the Rangers with Sather. Schoenfeld travels with the team on the road helping out with the D and at the morning skate. He sits with Sather at the games. Besides keeping tabs on the Whale,he doesn't do anything else. Doesn't scout anywhere. Doesn't negotiate any contracts. Cam Hope negotiates the entry level deals and helps Sather with the other deals. Hope does all of the CBA stuff. Clark,Gorton and Hedberg in Europe run the personnel and scouting staffs. They handle the draft. Even when it came time to acquire Erixon,Clark and his staff pushed for Erixon. Next Friday,Clark and Gorton will look at the options with Sather at the draft.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=493618

Don't forget him, he's been very involved the last 3 years.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:37 AM
  #22
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Excellent point.

All the Satherites around here always ask well who would my choice for GM be? Still the same answers - Hedberg or Gorton. Great thing that we have both in the organization, but if Slither stays much longer these guys will leave for GM positions they deserve.



http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=493618

Don't forget him, he's been very involved the last 3 years.
Is Mikey working or is he just Sather's golf buddy, you don't really hear much about him.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
  #23
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
With a name like Gorton, shouldn't he be the Islanders GM?

Seriously, that was some draft by him in 2006.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:13 PM
  #24
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
You can SEE the direction the team has gone since we have gotten great scouting.

Its a shame there was a major lull in our scouting for years. Otherwise we would be a completely different team (in a good way of course)

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:18 PM
  #25
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 566
There is no salary cap for management. Pay these guys whatever they want.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.