HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyle to LW; Halpern (650k/1 year) as 4th line C

Old
06-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
It does make some sense to sign a 4th line C for cheap.

Boyle proved he can be more than a 4th line C so if he needs more minutes it is logical to shift him to LW especially if Richards, Anisimov, Stepan are down the middle

I mentioned this before. Madden, Konopka, Halpern all should be looked at for the right price on the cap meaning under one million
Boyle had more minutes last year than every before and wore himself out by the end of the year...maybe we should limit his minutes so he can be more effective.

Madden and Halpern are not what this team needs...both are decent players but not right for our team.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Yeah, probably, but I think Dubinsky is a better option. And I would also be interested in Brunette if he wants to play here on an inexpensive 1 year deal. He's an underrated player, and still has some in the tank, imo.

Also, please bring back Feds.
I certainly think Dubinsky is the better option. My point is that I don't think Boyle would necessarily be out of place on that line.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Boyle had more minutes last year than every before and wore himself out by the end of the year...maybe we should limit his minutes so he can be more effective.

Madden and Halpern are not what this team needs...both are decent players but not right for our team.
limit his minutes?? yes. put him back to 4th line status getting 5-6:00/game? no. after last year i have a hard time arguing that he doesn't deserve atleast a chance to earn a 3rd line spot

the question is whether people think last year was a fluke. or if last year was a player finally figuring it out and becoming a legit player.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
limit his minutes?? yes. put him back to 4th line status getting 5-6:00/game? no. after last year i have a hard time arguing that he doesn't deserve atleast a chance to earn a 3rd line spot

the question is whether people think last year was a fluke. or if last year was a player finally figuring it out and becoming a legit player.
Agreed.

Rather than limit his minutes, push him to work on his conditioning in the offseason so he can handle more minutes and hopefully produce at the same level, or (preferably) exceed, last year's production. It could go either way with Boyler at this stage in his development.

Mint Berry Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post

I never said to put him back on the 4th line...even if he was on the 4th line last year he was still playing upwards of 15 minutes a game

Old
06-16-2011, 11:14 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

In terms of icetime, responsibilty and production the Boyle-Prust-Fedetenko line was and is the 3rd line. It's one of the better third lines around the league.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I think it's too early to tell where Boyle will be. I think we need to wait and see what Sather does via trade/free agency then we'll have a clearer picture where Boyle slots in.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
I never said to put him back on the 4th line...even if he was on the 4th line last year he was still playing upwards of 15 minutes a game
he was not on the 4th line last year though...with all the injuries, there were many nights were i'd argue that fedotenko-boyle-prust was tort's #2 line. the breakdown of ice time was completely skewed due to all the guys hurt

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Black Tank

jesus ****ing christ, no more late thirties "vets" to "help" the young guys, especially when their current teams are more than happy to push them out.

Halpern would be this year's White, sucking it up until he gets banished, having wasted a roster spot on about 30 games.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
jesus ****ing christ, no more late thirties "vets" to "help" the young guys, especially when their current teams are more than happy to push them out.

Halpern would be this year's White, sucking it up until he gets banished, having wasted a roster spot on about 30 games.
no, he can take a face off...that is enough to take the spot of a kid...

Old
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Tell me that you saw halpern play last year.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
Halpern has a much better attitude in the locker room, is vastly better defensively, and would come cheaper than EC as a 4th line center role.
Stop grasping at straws and plain old making stuff up. EC is not a locker room problem. The guy is good friends with half this team.

There's a reason why an over the hill, 35+ contract that doesn't produce any offense, doesn't shine in any category including physical play and can't be waived or bought out, would come cheap and it's not because he's a defensive star. It's because you're basically taking whatever you're paying him and cutting it off of your cap.

Quote:

Don't mistake being wore out for playing hurt due to his physical play.

Quote:

There's a dose of reality. Actually this guy is 35+ he'd be worse than White, White was waivable. If you stuff this guy in the minors in favor of a kid, during the second half of the season, he still counts against your cap. Great idea.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Stop grasping at straws and plain old making stuff up. EC is not a locker room problem. The guy is good friends with half this team.

There's a reason why an over the hill, 35+ contract that doesn't produce any offense, doesn't shine in any category including physical play and can't be waived or bought out, would come cheap and it's not because he's a defensive star. It's because you're basically taking whatever you're paying him and cutting it off of your cap.

Don't mistake being wore out for playing hurt due to his physical play.

There's a dose of reality. Actually this guy is 35+ he'd be worse than White, White was waivable. If you stuff this guy in the minors in favor of a kid, during the second half of the season, he still counts against your cap. Great idea.
It's not grapsing at straws. Nevermind attitude, all of a sudden EC will have a 2-way game next year? Regardless of a +35 contract, Halpern at league min or just above for a year or two to anchor that 4th line would be a good move.

Let's not forget EC is not a checking center, nor is he effective in that role. He's an inconsitant skill player and a fringe top 6 forward.

Old
06-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Tell me that you saw halpern play last year.
I remember Halpern as a Cap when he was a hell of a lot younger and he was not a difference maker than. He's older and most likely slower now. That roster spot has to go to someone with more upside. We are not a face-off man away from contending.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I remember Halpern as a Cap when he was a hell of a lot younger and he was not a difference maker than.
Sure, he was. One just needs to be able to understand what constitutes making a difference. 800 game, 11 year career.

Quote:
He's older and most likely slower now. That roster spot has to go to someone with more upside. We are not a face-off man away from contending.
Well, since you think he's most likely slower, I'm going to guess that most likely, you haven't actually watched him play. Then again, from the first comment, it appears that wouldn't have "made a difference."

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
It's not grapsing at straws. Nevermind attitude, all of a sudden EC will have a 2-way game next year? Regardless of a +35 contract, Halpern at league min or just above for a year or two to anchor that 4th line would be a good move.

Let's not forget EC is not a checking center, nor is he effective in that role. He's an inconsitant skill player and a fringe top 6 forward.
So you're saying a guy that's 5'11" and has 40 hits for the year makes for a good checking line center? And what's more, you're suggesting it's okay that this guy is 35, 36, and 37 years old? C'mon man, you can't make this up, you're pulling my leg right? Next you're going to tell me you don't have to hit to be a good checking line center right.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
So you're saying a guy that's 5'11" and has 40 hits for the year makes for a good checking line center? And what's more, you're suggesting it's okay that this guy is 35, 36, and 37 years old? C'mon man, you can't make this up, you're pulling my leg right? Next you're going to tell me you don't have to hit to be a good checking line center right.
Checking line is a fancy way of saying line of forwards whose primary responsibility is defense. Surely you jest if you mean to say that you can't play good defense without hitting.

No "tool," if you will, in a hockey player's potential repertoire is given more importance than it deserves than hitting. First sign of a casual fan mentality towards the strategy of the game = overrating the role of hitting in the sport.

Jeff Halpern is a fine defensive forward.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:32 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

Just because a player doesn't put up the same numbers he was putting up doesn't mean he was worn out. I didn't see Boyle lose a step in his game, he just wasn't potting goals the way he was. There are dryspells for most 20 goal scorers...it's usually why t hey aren't 30 or 40 goal scorers...rocket science...

Madden and Halpern are stop-gap 4th line centers that would provide veteran presence, penalty killing reinforcements so we don't have to lean so heavily on Dubinsky and Callahan to kill penalties.

Who do you want to center the 4th line if it's not a guy like Madden or Halpern? Because Boyle moving to LW is inevitable, especially since he's going to get a pay raise and the best situation the team could put him in to duplicate his numbers this year would be to move him to LW, whether it's on the 3rd line or the 4th line.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Checking line is a fancy way of saying line of forwards whose primary responsibility is defense. Surely you jest if you mean to say that you can't play good defense without hitting.

No "tool," if you will, in a hockey player's potential repertoire is given more importance than it deserves than hitting. First sign of a casual fan mentality towards the strategy of the game = overrating the role of hitting in the sport.

Jeff Halpern is a fine defensive forward.
Exaclty Sting, I couldnt agree more. Blair Betts was a fine example of a checking center that utilized an intelligent defensive game without excessively throwing his body around. He didn't need to in order to play an effect role.

God I miss that guy as a player.

Quote:
Just because a player doesn't put up the same numbers he was putting up doesn't mean he was worn out. I didn't see Boyle lose a step in his game, he just wasn't potting goals the way he was. There are dryspells for most 20 goal scorers...it's usually why t hey aren't 30 or 40 goal scorers...rocket science...

Madden and Halpern are stop-gap 4th line centers that would provide veteran presence, penalty killing reinforcements so we don't have to lean so heavily on Dubinsky and Callahan to kill penalties.

Who do you want to center the 4th line if it's not a guy like Madden or Halpern? Because Boyle moving to LW is inevitable, especially since he's going to get a pay raise and the best situation the team could put him in to duplicate his numbers this year would be to move him to LW, whether it's on the 3rd line or the 4th line.
Thank you.

Last edited by Noonansgoal: 06-17-2011 at 09:46 PM.