HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
habsrule22

vCash: 500
Draft Pick

According to the Fourth Period , NJ 4 th pick is available. That makes the 1 st, 4 th 5th and 8 th pick that is availble. If we were to trade up, which pick should we target and who should we target?

Old
06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
According to the Fourth Period , NJ 4 th pick is available. That makes the 1 st, 4 th 5th and 8 th pick that is availble. If we were to trade up, which pick should we target and who should we target?
Picks 1 through 30 are all available at the right price.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Picks 1 through 30 are all available at the right price.
Yeah, I doubt any GM will hang up the phone if you call about their pick. We have the assets to add any pick in the draft if we want it bad enough.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

So as an NHL GM...put on Gauthier's shoes...what does Boston winning do to how teams are built going forward?

I know that for the most part it's a fad and from year to year the cup winners change pretty dramatically...Chicago won with a deep, high powered offense, puck moving defense and an average(at best) goalie with poor rebound contol.

Boston won behind a hot goalie(with poor rebound control), big defense that is a lot less mobile than Chicago, a counter attacking offense with a few big players and some small, quick ones.

Detroit and Pittsburgh look more like Chicago than like Boston.

From a Habs perspective, goaltending is a lot more like Boston than like Chicago. Defense they seem to want to build a skilled mobile one with a couple of punishers(Yemelin and Tinordi). Up front right now it's a smaller group but some big guys should make their way...Eller, Pacioretty. PG still has work to do toi fill out the forwards, he probably has room for a bit of skill but also a couple of guys with sandpaper.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
So as an NHL GM...put on Gauthier's shoes...what does Boston winning do to how teams are built going forward?

I know that for the most part it's a fad and from year to year the cup winners change pretty dramatically...Chicago won with a deep, high powered offense, puck moving defense and an average(at best) goalie with poor rebound contol.

Boston won behind a hot goalie(with poor rebound control), big defense that is a lot less mobile than Chicago, a counter attacking offense with a few big players and some small, quick ones.

Detroit and Pittsburgh look more like Chicago than like Boston.

From a Habs perspective, goaltending is a lot more like Boston than like Chicago. Defense they seem to want to build a skilled mobile one with a couple of punishers(Yemelin and Tinordi). Up front right now it's a smaller group but some big guys should make their way...Eller, Pacioretty. PG still has work to do toi fill out the forwards, he probably has room for a bit of skill but also a couple of guys with sandpaper.
Generally speaking, the teams that have won Cups have a lot of well rounded players on their team. Players that can still perform when intensity and physical play rises to its highest level.

They also have depth and tend to get heroic efforts from depth players (Kelly, Ryder, Peverley, Byfuglien, Bolland, Talbot, Fedotenko, Talbot, Hudler, Samuelsson, Moen, Pahlsson, etc).

Last but not least, their best players have to be their best players when it counts. The two most important forward on the Boston team are Krejci and Bergeron. Krejci had 4 GWG, including one overtime winner, and set up Horton's series clinching goal against Tampa. Bergeron had 2 goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. They finished 1-2 in team scoring. Meanwhile the Sedins did SFA.

What does that mean in terms of building a team? I think an oversimplified explanation would be that you have to build a team with a lot of depth consisting of players with attributes that make them likely to perform in intense, physical situations. Guys with a mix of passion, skill, poise and character.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
This was posted in another thread by poster Pierre Jr(?) but I think it deserves to be posted here as well, if it hasn't already, I might have missed it then..

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Steve...tion/139/36356

This all but guarantees that Gomez will be back next year, in a contract year kind of situation. Obviously, PG must have a decent read wheter a Compliance Buyout Clause will be added in the new CBA. If so, I don't see any reason for him to ship Gomez out of town unless he gets a good deal, which we all have pretty much has ruled out.
Seems like a total red herring to me. The compliance buyouts were necessary with a brand new salary cap structure coming in, but they aren't going to be part of the next CBA, since the cap structure is already in place, and is not at all likely to be changed much.

Gomez is still going to have to prove himself this coming season. The repercussions of failing to peform well are just status quo: the Habs might try harder to trade him (i.e. giving up something to move his contract as "negative value"), or they might buy him out (4 years of cap penalty being less painful than the current 6), or if he's truly bad enough they could look at the banish-to-minors scenario (doubt it, he'd have to be REALLY bad for that, worse than this past season).

Hopefully it never comes to any of that and Gomez just turns in a good season. But there isn't any compliance buyout option coming to bail us out if he doesn't.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:52 AM
gusfring

For fun, time for this org to get serious.

Two moves:

-bury Gomez
-tell Spacek that he can play in Europe or go to Hamilton - my guess is he goes to Europe

Then:

-give Richards, Gomez' money.
-sign Laich
-re-sign Wiz
-sign Konopka and M.Bradley

Pacioretty-Richards-Gionta
Laich-Plekanec-Cammy
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Bradley-Konopka-White

Markov-Yemelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Wiz

Price
Auld

Book it.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:33 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Seems like a total red herring to me. The compliance buyouts were necessary with a brand new salary cap structure coming in, but they aren't going to be part of the next CBA, since the cap structure is already in place, and is not at all likely to be changed much.

Gomez is still going to have to prove himself this coming season. The repercussions of failing to peform well are just status quo: the Habs might try harder to trade him (i.e. giving up something to move his contract as "negative value"), or they might buy him out (4 years of cap penalty being less painful than the current 6), or if he's truly bad enough they could look at the banish-to-minors scenario (doubt it, he'd have to be REALLY bad for that, worse than this past season).

Hopefully it never comes to any of that and Gomez just turns in a good season. But there isn't any compliance buyout option coming to bail us out if he doesn't.
That's a good point obviously.
As said, hopefully he rebounds and has a strong season.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

Two moves:

-bury Gomez
-tell Spacek that he can play in Europe or go to Hamilton - my guess is he goes to Europe

Then:

-sign Laich
-re-sign Wiz

Laich-Plekanec-Cammy
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Bradley-Konopka-White

Markov-Yemelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Wiz

Price
Auld

Book it.
That's a sexy lineup, but it would never happen. I'd also try to sign Upshall.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
JackieChan

Quote:

Two moves:

-bury Gomez

Then:

-sign Laich
-re-sign Wiz

Laich-Plekanec-Cammy
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Bradley-Konopka-White

Markov-Yemelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Wiz

Price
Auld

Book it.
How fast are Konopka and Bradley? D and top 9 are unreal, but we need a 4th line that never stops. Don't really know much about those 2.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capgeek.com
What is a "35-plus" contract?

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract.
There are only two ways to get cap relief over 100K for Spacek (as far as I can tell):

1. Trade him
2. He sustains an injury

Old
06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:

Two moves:

-bury Gomez

Then:

-sign Laich
-re-sign Wiz

Laich-Plekanec-Cammy
Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen
Bradley-Konopka-White

Markov-Yemelin
Gill-Subban
Gorges-Wiz

Price
Auld

Book it.
How many times do people have to say that his cap hit will still count towards the salary cap because he signed a 35+ contract

Old
06-16-2011, 12:17 PM
habsrule22

When is it announced what the salary cap will be next year?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Usually around the draft.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
How many times do people have to say that his cap hit will still count towards the salary cap because he signed a 35+ contract
But in some circumstances we might still wish for him to go away, even knowing this. For example, if we were able to re-sign all the incumbent D, and Yemelin proved to be capable of NHL activity... or substitute some decent signing cheaper than Hamrlik/Wiz, whatever...

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik/ufa-Wisniewski/ufa
Gill-Subban
Yemelin-Weber

Spacek might still legitimately be #9 on the depth chart, and bound for Hamilton, even with his cap hit still counting. I would be trying to sign 9 guys, anyway. Then if training camp said Spacek was #9, fine, waive him down. Defensive depth is important. Too bad for us that our #9 guy might cost $3.8M. But hopefully Subban/Yemelin/Weber would be big enough cap bargains to more than make up for that.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There have been leaks saying about 63 mil. The official announcement will probably be within a few days.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:10 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
If he leaves for Europe does it not go off the cap even though it is +35?

Old
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If he leaves for Europe does it not go off the cap even though it is +35?
Nope it's the same as going to the AHL.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Nope it's the same as going to the AHL.
Geez, what an absolutely abysmal signing.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
SB164

ice_chip Chip Alexander

Rutherford (Canes GM) on Pitkanen, Jokinen, LaRose: "We know what their position is. It does not appear we will be able to sign them."

Old
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

When will I see "Confirmed with Link: Markov back @ 5.5mil" ?!!

Old
06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
juve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
When will I see "Confirmed with Link: Markov back @ 5.5mil" ?!!
Why do I get the feeling we won't re-sign him.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Why do I get the feeling we won't re-sign him.
14 days to go. I'm confident they'll make some right decisions.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Ross MacLochness

There's gotta be SOMEBODY willing to take Spacek for a year. A team with tons of cap space that knows they aren't going to compete. Spacek is a great teammate/ dressing room guy and can still play top 6 minutes (not on a contender though). Pouliot is not coming back anyway so package him with Spacek to Florida or something for a coke and a smile.

Hell we could even take back a million or two in salary that we could just dump in Hamilton or lose on waivers.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Talent Analyst

I would really like Habs to sign a player like Cole, with a cheap and short contract.

Cole could play with Plekanek or with Eller on the third line. Good guy, got experience and could help a player like Pacioretty who play a similar type of game.

Closed Thread