HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dean Lombardi On Playing In Europe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2011, 11:55 PM
  #26
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,925
vCash: 500
Now here's a blast from the past from this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=422584

Highlights of the 7-6 preseason game:
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=LA3M6WLZ

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:57 AM
  #27
KingsFan17
Registered User
 
KingsFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fontana
Country: United States
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Speaking of the Europe games, do we know what time they start? Will these end up early morning games over here?
10am local time for the Sweden game & 1pm local time for the Berlin game.

KingsFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:33 PM
  #28
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
No doubt about it... the Kings are going to drop games to start the season due to travel fatigue. It's silly for the Kings to be going over there again before all of the other NHL teams have done it.


Last edited by TonySCV: 06-11-2011 at 01:02 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:41 PM
  #29
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
No doubt about it... the Kings are going to drop games to start the season due to travel fatigue. It's silly for the Kings to be going over there again before the other NHL teams.
PSP is right, if AEG didn't own arenas in Europe the Kings would not be going this time. I don't like it either.

I don't know the answer to this question, but have the teams on the east coast that take buses to road games been on any of these trips to Europe yet? Pretty sure the Rangers have, but what about NYI, Philadelphia, NJ, etc.

But I don't think the Kings would be going if AEG had not volunteered.


Last edited by KINGS17: 06-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:52 PM
  #30
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
PSP is right, ....
I'll bet that you never thought you'd say that

Thank you both for your reasoned response. Contrary to the folks who seem to think that I only complain for complaining's sake, my primary motivation is to give the team the best possible chance to succeed. Playing in Europe at the beginning of the regular season doesn't do anything positive or constructive for the Kings.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:02 PM
  #31
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I'll bet that you never thought you'd say that

Thank you both for your reasoned response. Contrary to the folks who seem to think that I only complain for complaining's sake, my primary motivation is to give the team the best possible chance to succeed. Playing in Europe at the beginning of the regular season doesn't do anything positive or constructive for the Kings.
I seriously respect your opinion on all subjects. Just be patient a little bit longer and I think we are all going to be rewarded with some deep playoff runs. I haven't seen a schedule yet, but I am hoping that the Kings will play 3 or 4 games on the east coast and then maybe another game in the Central time zone before heading home for a 4 or 5 day break.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:02 PM
  #32
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I seriously respect your opinion on all subjects. Just be patient a little bit longer and I think we are all going to be rewarded with some deep playoff runs. I haven't seen a schedule yet, but I am hoping that the Kings will play 3 or 4 games on the east coast and then maybe another game in the Central time zone before heading home for a 4 or 5 day break.
I agree especially since DL even said they're gonna play east coast games on the way back. Hopefully we also get a easier schedule down the stretch at least travel wise. Either way the Kings are going to Europe whether people like it or not so they need to figure out how to come out on top and not let travel be an excuse.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:07 PM
  #33
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!
 
kingsfan28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 11,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I agree especially since DL even said they're gonna play east coast games on the way back. Hopefully we also get a easier schedule down the stretch at least travel wise. Either way the Kings are going to Europe whether people like it or not so they need to figure out how to come out on top and not let travel be an excuse.
I hope so too, but you know there still will be the looming "Grammy Road Trip" that rears its ugly head every season.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
  #34
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,925
vCash: 500
I think the Kings will be fine with their conditioning this time around. Do note that the Kings in 2007 were an atrocious squad coached by Marc Crawford. I'd say they'll be better prepared the second time around.

This past season, the following clubs opened the season in Europe: Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Minnesota Wild, Phoenix Coyotes and San Jose Sharks. Boston is in the Finals and San Jose reached the Conference Finals.

In 2009-10, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Florida traveled to Europe, and the Hawks didn't seem to miss a beat, winning the Cup that season. I would hope this travel is not used as an excuse if the team starts slow or struggles throughout the season.

The team has to eliminate excuses and be held fully accountable for the results, and I'm not just talking about the players, but the coaches and management as well. Otherwise, we're going to be looking at a team that is in the "blackhole" as Lombardi likes to say: a team that isn't quite good to contend and not bad enough to have a shot at drafting quality talent out of the first round.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
  #35
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think the Kings will be fine with their conditioning this time around. Do note that the Kings in 2007 were an atrocious squad coached by Marc Crawford. I'd say they'll be better prepared the second time around.

This past season, the following clubs opened the season in Europe: Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Minnesota Wild, Phoenix Coyotes and San Jose Sharks. Boston is in the Finals and San Jose reached the Conference Finals.

In 2009-10, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis and Florida traveled to Europe, and the Hawks didn't seem to miss a beat, winning the Cup that season. I would hope this travel is not used as an excuse if the team starts slow or struggles throughout the season.

The team has to eliminate excuses and be held fully accountable for the results, and I'm not just talking about the players, but the coaches and management as well. Otherwise, we're going to be looking at a team that is in the "blackhole" as Lombardi likes to say: a team that isn't quite good to contend and not bad enough to have a shot at drafting quality talent out of the first round.
Penguins also started in Europe in 08-09 and won the cup.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:10 PM
  #36
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
To be fair, a trip to Europe for an East Coast team isn't much different than an East Coast trip for a West Coast team. A trip to Europe from the West Coast is a VERY different story.

Let's send the East Coast teams to India and see how they do upon their return...

Does the NHL ever send Montreal or Toronto on one of these trips?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
  #37
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,132
vCash: 500
Remember the Kings are playing EC teams on the trip so atleast it eliminates one trip for them (or atleast part of one trip).

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:42 PM
  #38
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,925
vCash: 500
The league may also give the Kings a more favorable schedule considering their travel circumstances. What would be convenient is for the Kings to start on the road after their European trip before returning to LA with a long home stretch with their only travel being within the Pacific and Northwest divisions.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:58 PM
  #39
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The league may also give the Kings a more favorable schedule considering their travel circumstances. What would be convenient is for the Kings to start on the road after their European trip before returning to LA with a long home stretch with their only travel being within the Pacific and Northwest divisions.
That would be nice!

If the Kings were in Toronto, that might be possible, but in LA? ....

Good Luck!

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:14 AM
  #40
SuperAlmeida
Registered User
 
SuperAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,083
vCash: 500
The las three Stanley Cups have been won by teams that opened in Europe!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:52 AM
  #41
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The league may also give the Kings a more favorable schedule considering their travel circumstances. What would be convenient is for the Kings to start on the road after their European trip before returning to LA with a long home stretch with their only travel being within the Pacific and Northwest divisions.
Dean stated in one of his interviews that's exactly what the league did... Europe, followed by east coast games and then continue heading west. If the Kings are going to go to Europe, the least the league can do is schedule a bunch of road games and get those out of the way early.

The schedule was released on June 22nd last year, so we'll see it soon.


Last edited by TonySCV: 06-16-2011 at 10:02 AM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:01 AM
  #42
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Dean stated in one of his interviews that's exactly what the league did... Europe, followed by east coast games and then continue heading west. If the Kings are going to go to Europe, the least the league can do is schedule a bunch of road games and get those out of the way early.

The schedule was released on June 22nd last year, so we'll see it soon.
I know this is going to sound incredibly geeky, but I would love to put together an NHL schedule some day. What a cool puzzle to solve.

Of course the Kings would have all their EST and CST trips done by January in like 3 trips and the rest of the Pacific would have to fly back and forth to the east coast like 8 times. Think anyone would notice?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
  #43
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
The las three Stanley Cups have been won by teams that opened in Europe!
Would that be 2 Eastern time zone teams and a Central time zone team?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM
  #44
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,368
vCash: 500
Didn't the Ducks win after opening against the Kings in London in '06?

EDIT: Never mind that was '07.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.