HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boston Bruins @ Vancouver Canucks game 7 winner takes all

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 06:02 AM
optimus2861

vCash: 500
I can't get over just how pathetic the Canucks made themselves look. Setting a new record for fewest goals scored in a 7-game series. Managing just 4 goals over the final 5 games, and 3 of those came after games were already lost. A gutless effort in the 7th game. A $10-million goaltender who couldn't stop a beach ball in 4 of the games. Their supposed MVP twins both no-showing the entire series.

That's the best of the west? I guess that conference is really just Detroit and a bunch of wannabes, and Detroit can't win it every year.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron: While I am a fan of getting bigger, while it did play a role, here are 2 examples that skills and grit is not solely packaged in bigger bodies.

I'd also mention that this is the proof that the Q produces great players and that it shouldn't be underscouted. I'm also expecting some great things by 2 other products of the Q for the Bruins in the near future, Maxime Sauvé and Jordan Caron. Bruins are indeed doing a great job scouting the Q.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron: While I am a fan of getting bigger, while it did play a role, here are 2 examples that skills and grit is not solely packaged in bigger bodies.

I'd also mention that this is the proof that the Q produces great players and that it shouldn't be underscouted. I'm also expecting some great things by 2 other products of the Q for the Bruins in the near future, Maxime Sauvé and Jordan Caron. Bruins are indeed doing a great job scouting the Q.
Krejci is an even better example, he's been their best player after Thomas...nothing against Lucic but he never comes close to 30 goals without Krejci feeding him.

Other than Chara Horton and Lucic, most of Boston's best players, including Thomas are smaller than average. Peverley Recchi Ryder Seidenberg Kaberle Ference are not big for their position.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Krejci is an even better example, he's been their best player after Thomas...nothing against Lucic but he never comes close to 30 goals without Krejci feeding him.

Other than Chara Horton and Lucic, most of Boston's best players, including Thomas are smaller than average. Peverley Recchi Ryder Seidenberg Kaberle Ference are not big for their position.
Did you just include Kaberle in the list of Boston's best players

But yes, what made the difference in this series was not their big guys, it's the fact that their skilled guys put the puck in the net (which, with Luongo in front, often did not require a whole lot of effort) while their goalie made it a hell of a lot harder while the Vancouver top guys were fanning on shots after they finally managed to beat him.

Skill and finish, and mostly goal-tending, determined the outcome. Not size.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:30 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Krecji is another good one. + Their coach is a LHJMQ product. Both from HULL(Gatineau) organisation.

I hate the Bruins but I have to admire their scouting and drafting skills in the Q.

Some of the best (and worst) performers on the Canucks roster are from the Q too.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Patccmoi

What do you do when your boss tells you "We're going to the parade!". I might be sick on that day...

Old
06-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
I can't get over just how pathetic the Canucks made themselves look. Setting a new record for fewest goals scored in a 7-game series. Managing just 4 goals over the final 5 games, and 3 of those came after games were already lost. A gutless effort in the 7th game. A $10-million goaltender who couldn't stop a beach ball in 4 of the games. Their supposed MVP twins both no-showing the entire series.

That's the best of the west? I guess that conference is really just Detroit and a bunch of wannabes, and Detroit can't win it every year.
Not sure how you can determine the Western conference in its entirety by the performance of that team in a Final Series. If you think the West. Conf. is pathetic, not sure what you think about the East. This year, you had a #1 in the East who can't be coached worst enough. #2 who had no goalies, a #4 who didn't have their best 2 players and the rest is average and TBay had to be save by a 75-year old goalie....Maybe just me....but Nucks didn't seem to have a whole lot of juice left. Injuries played a big part, but maybe playing in a tougher conference gets you more tired and banged up.

Okay so the West is overrated...but the East was pathetic.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:59 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post

They have no heart and character.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

And getting Peverley and Kelly at the trade deadline has to somehow diminuish the thinking that Boston is all about goonery...They happen to have players who can play hocke and give you a couple of slaps in your face....In all honesty, who wouldn't take it. Like I mentioned, most people in here now are looking at Rupp and Kenopka....Well I know that I would take Thornton on my 4th line any day of the week. And that's as big a goon they had. McQuaid proved he can play hocke within his limits. Campbell is your definition of a perfect 4th liner. Lucic can play hockey too. They build their team so they'd have a little bit of everything everywhere. Now they won the Cup. But they will recognize that they could be better at D. And Chiarelli will address it.

By the way, you're right. Krejci is a great example...other product of the Q.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:06 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Bruins fan here. I just wanted to say that the series versus you guys was by far the closest and most hard fought, and gave me the most agita. While I'm sure it's not fun seeing a team you typically hate actually go on to win the cup, it has to be worth something to know that you were by far the toughest matchup they faced all playoff long. Good luck next year!

Old
06-16-2011, 08:08 AM
gusfring

It's all about a mix. Boston has it. We don't.

You cannot underestimate how guys like Paille, Thornton, Campbell and McQuaid played key roles.

Compare that to Pyatt, Darche, Halpern and Spacek and you see the difference.

Plus, Bruins management were not afraid to pull the trigger on some trade like Horton, Seidenberg and Peverley.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

You cannot underestimate how guys like Paille, Thornton, Campbell and McQuaid played key roles.

Plus, Bruins management were not afraid to pull the trigger on some trade like Horton, Seidenberg and Peverley.
Campbell especially!

I kid, just had to get one last zinger in there. No point in being angry anymore. I wish every team we played folded like the Canucks.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:39 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The stars were aligned however.. there is no group of people, from the fans, to the players, to the management and the coaching staff, that deserves this level of joy less than the Boston Bruins.

It's a sad day for hockey, it's a sad day for those who believe in karma and justice.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:48 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post

Exactly! When you have good small players, they become even better when backed up by tough guys. Anyway, even their small players are grittier than all of ours. As you said, it's all about mix.

On the other hand, small doesn't necessarily means soft. When you look at guys like Marchand, Recchi and Bergeron, these guys don't back up against roughness. Especialy Marchand.

I hate to say this but congrats to the Bruins, they have a great team and their GM is doing an excellent job. They'll probably be contenders for years to come.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

It's a sad day for hockey, it's a sad day for those who believe in karma and justice.
Lol this is the first thing that ran through my mind when the Bruins won. I said to myself "wow, there really isn't justice in this world" lol. But in the end it's just a game.

Boston got a lot of lucky bounces the entire playoffs, but imo they deserved it more than tyhe nucks who played some really unspired and terrible hockey.

Luongo only confirmed what I've been saying for a long time, he's a massive choker. 16 goals in 3 games is inexcusable even if your team is playing poorly. Thomas' team played poorly quite a few times and he kept his team in it.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:04 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
The one thing I don't understand is how poorly the Canucks were prepared. Montreal's plan to "skate away" from the extra stuff was brilliant. It made the Bruins play hockey or they'd be going to the box. When Vancouver started to engage them after whistles, it gave the refs the leeway to let things go. That's why we saw Marchand punch Sedin ten times in the head with no penalty or Thomas spear and buttend players. Boston may have still won, but what a brutal gameplan by the Canucks.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity72 View Post
Boston dominated in 4 out of 7 games. I think you have some serious issues with America not the Bruins. Put your tin foil hat away. If you want to talk about bias look no further than CBC and it's broadcasters who suggested running Thomas. That is disgusting. Stop with this us against the world mentality and realize you blew a 2-0 series lead. All the best players in the world are Canadian and you still moan about America. There are riots going on right now. Blame that on America to.

Ya because counter-attacking = dominating. LOL. I don't watch the CBC. There is one thing I agree with is the Nucks should have run him. The fact that a goalie can throw himself into a player and have no repercussion for doing it, but if a player even breaths on a goalie out of his crease its a penalty.

Funny how the US markets keep dying and American based teams keep winning and that's besides the fact that their seasons/wins are plagued with contraversy.

**** the Bruins and their fan base. If Maurice was a live he'd be disgusted with some of you.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Watching sad movies, listening to sad music, eating ice cream.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
windycity

heh

Ok, it sucks that the Bruins won but honestly they were the better team and deserved it more. Nothing epitomized the lameness of the Canucks more than Sedin (forget which, like it matters) getting punched repeatedly in the face by Marchand and doing nothing about it.

Time to move on - on the bright side, Habs have a shot at the next Cup (ok not much of one) and the Bruins are highly unlikley to repeat.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Anyone else think it's a guarantee that we'll be playing in Boston's home opener just so we have the "privilege" of seeing the banner raised?

Old
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
theboss*

Can the people who lost the avatar bet with Bruins fan please take off their avatar.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:22 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The stars were aligned however.. there is no group of people, from the fans, to the players, to the management and the coaching staff, that deserves this level of joy less than the Boston Bruins.

You are somewhat correct with your frustration, that being said, we gotta give them credit too, Tim Thomas was The Man! They do have some solid hockey players, it's the extra-curricular foolishness that has everyone disliking the Bruins....so be it, they have bragging rights for a year...

Anyone find it funny, that if they had lost to the Habs, Julien would have been fired, but now he is a hero...strange...

Old
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Bruins fan here. I just wanted to say that the series versus you guys was by far the closest and most hard fought, and gave me the most agita. While I'm sure it's not fun seeing a team you typically hate actually go on to win the cup, it has to be worth something to know that you were by far the toughest matchup they faced all playoff long. Good luck next year!
It really isn't. In fact, it perhaps makes it worse. Of all the teams the Bs faced, we were best placed to stop them and failed to do so. If our team had done just a little better, we wouldn't be in this position of having to watch our biggest rivals succeed after all the bull**** and hypocrisy we had to put up with from them and their fans (and the league) during the season.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Watching the Sedins flop made me realize how much we need Crosby back in this league. Yeah he'll do the head juke and fall from a touch, but at least he will score a goal on the ensuing powerplay. I used to like Vancouver and Luongo, but they left a bad taste in my mouth after this series. (Totally sexual that last sentence)

Old
06-16-2011, 11:41 AM
LastRide

If the rumors were true gainey or PG was going after the Sedins when their contract was up. I am sure glad they decided to stay in Vancouver. These guys are soft and over-rated.

Closed Thread