HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(from summer 2010) Gagne for Tim Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
OMG, can we please stop with this.

It doesn't take much to get me to start criticizing Homer. As we all know, I'm not his biggest fan. But he was 100% right in not trading for Thomas at the time.

So many hypocrites on this board. People don't want to give Bryzgalov 6 or more years (taking him to age 37 or more), or give Vokoun 3 or more years (taking him to age 38 or more), but people complain we didn't make a move for the guy who was 36, with 3 more years on his contract, taking him to 39.

Oh, and his is a 35+ contract (something that neither Bryzgalov's or Vokoun's will be).

Old
06-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Yeah, people, can we just let this thread die? I'm sick of seeing zombie Gagne-for-Thomas.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:03 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Why you all "heff to be mad?" The issue here is not about if a trade for Thomas could have been made for Gagne it's the fact that he was on the block in the first place and he goes on to accomplish this

Quote:
He stopped an incredible 238 of the Canucks’ 246 shots in the finals for a .967 save percentage. That’s even better than his .940 mark and 1.98 goals-against average for the entire postseason

...again it's about irony at this point and the neverending goalie soap opera we are subjected to. Besides, Gormley said Carter was brought up as well although everybody asks for him in a trade so that is not a surprise. Even Montreal supposedly asked for Carter when Halak was on the block before he kicked it into high gear last year in the second half of the season. Point in all of this is that if we would have had either of those goalies we would have a cup. Heck if we had a healthy Emery we would probably have pulled out a cup last year. We just have massive bad luck but as they say you make your own luck. Holmgren and Clarke before him have treated goaltending as an afterthought and hence why we keep seeing these other teams we lose to go on and win the cup before us...even teams like Tampa and Carolina who haven't been in the league as long.

This situation is about shining a freakin light on how important it is to have a legit goalie to win it all....that is the larger context I'm trying to bring up that is all but everybody keeps twisting it into little prepackaged rebuttals of "hindsight is always 20/20." Hindsight should also teach you lessons!

With that Flyers have to absolutely try and sign Bryzgalov or Vokoun so that this BS ends or at least there is a better chance it ends....

Old
06-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Jester

One can discuss the importance of goaltending without constant reference to a trade that was never going to happen--more importantly, nor should it have at the time.

Tim Thomas was not a good option for this team last summer. There is no reason to harp on him again and again.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

hind sight is 20/20

Old
06-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Flyersguru

Didn't read the new posts in the thread but it was never Gagne for Tim Thomas. It was Jeff Carter for Tim Thomas. It was the only way Boston would trade him within the conference.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Why you all "heff to be mad?" The issue here is not about if a trade for Thomas could have been made for Gagne it's the fact that he was on the block in the first place and he goes on to accomplish this

...again it's about irony at this point and the neverending goalie soap opera we are subjected to. Besides, Gormley said Carter was brought up as well although everybody asks for him in a trade so that is not a surprise. Even Montreal supposedly asked for Carter when Halak was on the block before he kicked it into high gear last year in the second half of the season. Point in all of this is that if we would have had either of those goalies we would have a cup. Heck if we had a healthy Emery we would probably have pulled out a cup last year. We just have massive bad luck but as they say you make your own luck. Holmgren and Clarke before him have treated goaltending as an afterthought and hence why we keep seeing these other teams we lose to go on and win the cup before us...even teams like Tampa and Carolina who haven't been in the league as long.

This situation is about shining a freakin light on how important it is to have a legit goalie to win it all....that is the larger context I'm trying to bring up that is all but everybody keeps twisting it into little prepackaged rebuttals of "hindsight is always 20/20." Hindsight should also teach you lessons!

With that Flyers have to absolutely try and sign Bryzgalov or Vokoun so that this BS ends or at least there is a better chance it ends....
We've learned our lessons from this thread from the three or four times it's been bumped. It's like somebody trying to teach us ****ing multiplication at this point.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:18 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Close This ****ing Tread>>> Jeeeebus

Old
06-17-2011, 03:51 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Tim Thomas For Jeff Carter

Looking back with complete benefit of hindsight... would you say no again?

Last edited by The Dangley One: 06-17-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
flountown

When was that ever the deal? I was under the impression it would have been a salary dump type trade, but Homer didn't think he could move the salary...

Old
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
When was that ever the deal? I was under the impression it would have been a salary dump type trade, but Homer didn't think he could move the salary...
they keep on talking about in Boston that Chiarelli wanted to trade Thomas for Carter but Philly declined and countered with Gagne. just thinking about how different the season would have been if the trade went through

Old
06-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Well, Boston doesn't win the Cup....and neither does Philly.

Philly was pretty clearly too banged up to make it all the way through the finals. They were out of gas in the first damned round.

06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballershotcaller12 View Post
Looking back with complete benefit of hindsight... would you say no again?
Yes, I would say no again. I will take another decade of Carter over 2 years (maybe) of Tim Thomas.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:41 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Philly was pretty clearly too banged up to make it all the way through the finals. They were out of gas in the first damned round.
Thank that to the system we run. Either way if you don't have good defense in front of the goalie the goalie won't do well. Boston's team defense was incredible in the playoffs this year.

Old
06-18-2011, 08:04 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
OMG, can we please stop with this.

It doesn't take much to get me to start criticizing Homer. As we all know, I'm not his biggest fan. But he was 100% right in not trading for Thomas at the time.

So many hypocrites on this board. People don't want to give Bryzgalov 6 or more years (taking him to age 37 or more), or give Vokoun 3 or more years (taking him to age 38 or more), but people complain we didn't make a move for the guy who was 36, with 3 more years on his contract, taking him to 39.

Oh, and his is a 35+ contract (something that neither Bryzgalov's or Vokoun's will be).
You just couldn't risk that contract.

In a capless world, I'd have made the deal in second, but we don't live in a capless world.

Old
06-18-2011, 09:46 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
You just couldn't risk that contract.

In a capless world, I'd have made the deal in second, but we don't live in a capless world.
Definitely.

Old
06-18-2011, 04:54 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

completely agree. Boston barely won. they won because of an epic mental breakdown by luongo. if they start schneider during a couple games i believe vancouver takes it. of course, if we get thomas the whole season and everything after, including our specific injuries, changes. i just think this is the best team we've had since the 70's and i really want to win with these guys soon. i think Bryz changes who we are in the confidence dpt. and tips us over the edge. WE WILL WIN NEXT

Old
06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
tuckrr

i just like how many people ask for MORE than just thomas when giving up gagne...
POST- meszaros acquisition this would be tough
PRE- mesz this would've been very good for the orange and black.

Old
06-18-2011, 06:20 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
i just like how many people ask for MORE than just thomas when giving up gagne...
POST- meszaros acquisition this would be tough
PRE- mesz this would've been very good for the orange and black.
Boston didn't want to do Thomas for Gagne straight up. They wanted Carter instead..... And Mez was an awesome pick up for us. He fits perfectly into Lavy's system

Old
06-18-2011, 06:23 PM
flyersfan187

And another thing. Thomas on this team wouldn't have gave us the Stanley Cup this season either. No goalie would have been able to do anything against a million 2 on 1s against us every game.

Old
06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
RoDu

Old
06-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow this is one of the most stupid threads I've read on all of HF.

Everyone and their grandparents wanted to stay the **** away from Thomas last season. No fanbase (and yes you can only talk about fanbase because you don't know what GM's really think) wanted to deal with Tim Thomas. Everyone was convinced he was going to be an anchor for the Bruins for years, even fans in Boston were convinced.

How can one guy in this thread keep blaming Holmgren for this when the rest of the universe was convinced, and probably the poster himself. That's just super hypocritical and highly unfair. Fans here would've killed Homer if he did that trade and it resulted in Thomas being a fluke. Don't tell me you knew Thomas was going to be a Vezina candidate again, he lost his job fair and square to a younger Rask.

Unbelievable. I'm just a Habs fan doing a little round on the Philly boards to read up on the Bryzgalov trade, but this thread just left me awestruck. It's like someone is having fun blaming others and making the fanbase suffer for something that was unpredictable and doesn't have anything to do with the current edition of your team.

Old
06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Wow this is one of the most stupid threads I've read on all of HF.

Everyone and their grandparents wanted to stay the **** away from Thomas last season. No fanbase (and yes you can only talk about fanbase because you don't know what GM's really think) wanted to deal with Tim Thomas. Everyone was convinced he was going to be an anchor for the Bruins for years, even fans in Boston were convinced.

How can one guy in this thread keep blaming Holmgren for this when the rest of the universe was convinced, and probably the poster himself. That's just super hypocritical and highly unfair. Fans here would've killed Homer if he did that trade and it resulted in Thomas being a fluke. Don't tell me you knew Thomas was going to be a Vezina candidate again, he lost his job fair and square to a younger Rask.

Unbelievable. I'm just a Habs fan doing a little round on the Philly boards to read up on the Bryzgalov trade, but this thread just left me awestruck. It's like someone is having fun blaming others and making the fanbase suffer for something that was unpredictable and doesn't have anything to do with the current edition of your team.
Thank you god for some sanity.

Old
06-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Thank you god for some sanity.
Chris, pretty much the only person advocating the deal is Doom... Yet you are thanking this Habs fan for some sanity?

Old
06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Chris, pretty much the only person advocating the deal is Doom... Yet you are thanking this Habs fan for some sanity?
You sound bitter.

EDIT: I am actually thoroughly impressed that this thread does not have more people mad that we never acquired Thomas.

Closed Thread