HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bernier says he's aware he could be Back Up Option

Old
06-16-2011, 10:24 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
how could BOB/Bernier be a great tandem?

Bernier is still unproven

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
For all we know it could be worse than Bob/Boosh.

06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Should make for a fun proposal thread on the main board.

That being said, I really, really like Bernier. But I agree, he's too unproven. The Flyers need a vet.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:57 AM
BernieParent

To me, Bob is a big question mark. He came out of (almost) nowhere to take the starter's job and set the league on fire in the first half. However, the holes in his games started getting exploited with increasing regularity by the opposition. Playing the odds, we could expect Bob to be a flash in the pan rather than an above-average starter for years to come.

That doesn't mean I am all for kicking Bob to the curb. It does mean that I'm not on board with options relying on Bob to carry the majority of the starter's load or where the odds are high that he will have to be the de facto starter for much of the season and playoffs. I'd like Bob to stay a Flyer, but as the backup (under Reese's tutelage) fighting for top spot over the next few years.

Roloson would be a good plan C (after Bryz and Vokoun), as he and Bob could split right around 50/50. Emery is close to being on the same level, but it's really against the odds to bet on him staying healthy. I don't like the Nabokov option, assuming he doesn't have to go through waivers and he doesn't cost much at all in terms of tradeable assets or salary: he had consistency issues with the Sharks, especially in the playoffs, really flamed out in the KHL, and by most accounts isn't the sort of role model you want next to a fellow-Russian young prospect.

Full stop. Assuming this off-season goes like last season and Paul Holmgren's goalophobia re-emerges, if all else fails, I'd be okay with Holmgren going after Hedberg. He put up a .912 SV% when the Devils were in disarray. It would fit his MO to pursue players who played well against the Flyers. That's probably plan E.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I'd rather do Bernier, Jack Johnson, and a top forward prospect (Toffoli perhaps)

Or Bernier, JJ, and Simmonds if LA is willing to give up that much for Carter.
I really wish we could of traded for Tuebert. Kid is going to be a good one. We missed him in Manchester after LA traded him at the deadline.
I dont think we are trading for Bernier. hes a good prospect but still unproven. only way it make sense if Bobrovsky is traded in a 3 way type deal. Which probably wouldnt make alot of sense.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I don't think it makes sense unless they don't have faith in Bob, or they think Bernier is ready to be a franchise player.

A backup plan should be Vokoun, Roloson, Nabokov, a trade for a solid experienced goalie, or just bringing in a solid vet to back up Bob.

Why remove depth to add an unknown?
It depends on the depth and how much faith you have in the other options.

I think it's likely that Vokoun and Roloson stay right where they are, as will Giguere.

That leaves Nabokov or Pascal Leclaire as the only really viable options.

Would you rather trade Versteeg or Carle to LA for Bernier or to NYI for Nabokov?

Do you really want Nabokov, after a wasted year in which he bombed in Russia?

Would you want to make a trade with the Isles under the gun of having no other options?

I don't know what the Flyers' talent evaluators have to say about Bernier, but they've been looking at Bryzgalov for a couple years now and Bernier too.

Personally, I would rather have Bobrovsky and Bernier than Bob and Nabokov....

But, really, it's all moot, because I'm pretty sure they are going to sign Bryzgalov at a reasonable cap hit - and then deal a couple players to make room.

The advantage of going the Bernier route is that we might be able to keep Carle.... so our SCF top 4 will be intact.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It depends on the depth and how much faith you have in the other options.

I think it's likely that Vokoun and Roloson stay right where they are, as will Giguere.

That leaves Nabokov or Pascal Leclaire as the only really viable options.

Would you rather trade Versteeg or Carle to LA for Bernier or to NYI for Nabokov?

Do you really want Nabokov, after a wasted year in which he bombed in Russia?

Would you want to make a trade with the Isles under the gun of having no other options?

I don't know what the Flyers' talent evaluators have to say about Bernier, but they've been looking at Bryzgalov for a couple years now and Bernier too.

Personally, I would rather have Bobrovsky and Bernier than Bob and Nabokov....

But, really, it's all moot, because I'm pretty sure they are going to sign Bryzgalov at a reasonable cap hit - and then deal a couple players to make room.

The advantage of going the Bernier route is that we might be able to keep Carle.... so our SCF top 4 will be intact.
I don't think it'd cost that to get Nabokov. So I'd rather have him/Bob than Bob/Bernier because with Nabokov we keep our depth and can add to it if need be. But really I'd rather just have Bryz for a reasonable contract, which I hope is actually a possibility.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

With us losing Eriksson, and rumours of Bryz's 5.5 million, I could see the flyers trading for Bernier as the cheap backup for the team, and sending bob elsewhere.

Bob for draft picks
Bernier for someone like versteeg + (draft picks)
Bryz at 5.5 mil.

I could live with that.

I wouldn't listen to LA fans about him either. They overrate every single one of their players. Last year they thought that simmonds > god.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
With us losing Eriksson, and rumours of Bryz's 5.5 million, I could see the flyers trading for Bernier as the cheap backup for the team, and sending bob elsewhere.

Bob for draft picks
Bernier for someone like versteeg + (draft picks)
Bryz at 5.5 mil.

I could live with that.

I wouldn't listen to LA fans about him either. They overrate every single one of their players. Last year they thought that simmonds > god
Kings fans dont want to listen to anything negative about their prospects in Manchester for example. They think they know more about players they have never seen play in Manchester then people who see these kids all the time.
they dont want to hear things like Voynov and Hickey not being ready for the NHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It's ridiculous. The amount of hate anyone gets for valuing the prospects they have in unreal.

I don't think i've ever met fans that think so much of themselves.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

btw, what does moving Bob in order to bring in Bernier do? they practically carry the same cap hit

Old
06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

i meant moving bob out

Old
06-16-2011, 01:12 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

oops nvm...why cant i edit my posts? geez

Old
06-16-2011, 09:05 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
this.

we don't need young and unproven, regardless of how much potential bernier has. this team could potentially have a very small window of legit ability to win a cup. we need a veteran, proven top flight goaltender who can steady the ship. that is not bernier
Do you consider Bryzgalov a proven goalie or a goalie who has fallen short in big games?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Do you consider Bryzgalov a proven goalie or a goalie who has fallen short in big games?
Well, everyone keeps talking about Breezy's past two playoff performances. I dont think it is fair to ignore his WHOLE playoff performances.

His stats: 12 wins, 13 loses, GAA: 2.55, sv%: .917. Last two were bad. Two before that were not.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Look at Bryz's numbers with the Ducks, when he had all-star and hall of fame defensemen in front of him. And then up front, guys like Getzlaf and Perry before they were superstars. Keith Yandle was great, but we'll have better defensemen playing in front of him.

He'll be fine as long as he doesn't play 70 games, and the defense holds up their end of the bargain. The Coyotes this season also lost Zbynek Michalek, who I think is an excellent defensive d-man.

Keeping your goalie fresh is the big key now. Tim Thomas made it 5 out of 6 goaltenders who won the Cup and didn't play 60 regular season games. The one who didn't was Marc-Andre Fleury and he played 62.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote