HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the feeling in Philly a year ago??

Old
06-16-2011, 12:41 PM
usualsuspect434

vCash: 500
What was the feeling in Philly a year ago??

Hey guys,
I'm a huge Flyer fan, but I live a few thousand miles away. I'm curious what the atmosphere in Philly was after we lost game 6 at home. I can imagine it was anger, frustration, bitterness, sadness, and all.....but what was it like on the streets after the game? Was there any breaking windows, trashing cars......anything??

I watched right til the bitter end, but I really didn't want to see any of the fall-out afterwards. It was a bitter pill for me to swallow so I tuned out of anything and everything for a while.....trying to get the pain to go away (it still hasn't!).

But I'm watching the scenes of ugliness out of Vancouver today and I hope to God there was nothing even close to this a year ago. I'd like to think that Philly has passionate and intelligent hockey fans who have enough respect for their city to not turn it into this ****. I'm just disgusted by these so-called "hockey fans".....just thugs, hoodlums looking to party and trash stuff.

If you were at game 6 last year, give me your perspective on what it looked like there.

Cheers!!

usualsuspect434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
i felt like this guy:

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
2Claude2Giroux

I felt like it was handled perfectly.

Everyone acknowledged how good the Flyers were and were just happy for the run.

Everyone also knew that Chicago was a better team.

It sucked horribly and it hurts now more than ever that they lost but I'm still excited about next year.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

It felt ****** but people here in Philadelphia have a crazy amount of respect for their city.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

It was more devastation than anger for me. Seeing the goal light come on after a couple of seconds was nothing short of heart-breaking. Infact i don't think i have ever been so dejected in my entire life about anything.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Years from now, a police officer will be able to end a story to his grandkids with "...and then it exploded on his nuts!"

06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I teared a bit and my girlfriend was scared to talk to me until about 20 minutes after the dreaded goal. Other than that, I went home and continued my life, a little sad, but happy I got to see a great run.

I feel worse this year because I felt better about this year...everything last year was a treat.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I wanted to riot. Instead, I drove in the rain during daylight hours without turning on my headlights.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I wanted to riot. Instead, I drove in the rain during daylight hours without turning on my headlights.

I wasn't in Philly. But after about 5 minutes, I decided it was more important to focus on how amazing the run was. We shouldn't have even been in the damned playoffs. I still try to do the same thing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I was silent for a while, then I said "**** Michael ****ing Leighton! How the **** do you let that goal in you ****ing piece of ****!" Then I was silent again.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

i was heart broken. we lost to a team we could have beaten. and it was even worse since we essentially dominated game 6, and lost on 1 fluke chance.

but, while philly might be filled with passionate, colorful and sometimes angry fans. they're also mostly all down to earth, hardworking, blue collar people that have a huge respect for the city they live in.

I live in center city, and even when the phils won the world series, it was more of a big party than a riot. the extent of damage was 1 store (robinson luggage on broad and walnut) got broken in to, but it was only 5 or 6 people who looted. and those people were just criminals looking for a window of oppurtunity.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
MrHockey1982

I was there and I was in disbelief for a little while. But since we shouldn't have been there in the first place, I realized how great a run we had. Not only that, I felt like our team would only get better and we would get another shot in the future. No fights or rioting unlike Vancouver.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I was silent for a while, then I said "**** Michael ****ing Leighton! How the **** do you let that goal in you ****ing piece of ****!" Then I was silent again.
I said this -- almost word for word -- walking out of the arena. When my dad and I got into the car, I said "Well, if there's any silver lining...we can cross 'seeing the Cup presented in person' off our bucket list."

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I turned the tv off and just sat in my dark basement and stared into nothing for half an hour. Horrible feeling.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I LOL'd after the goal...but it was more of a defensive laugh. I wasn't really devastated though..I've built up a thick skin in 25 yrs of following the Flyers. Only in 87 was I unable to move or speak for days....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Larry44

Quote:
f-ing anarchists....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:41 PM
usualsuspect434

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post
I felt like it was handled perfectly.
Everyone acknowledged how good the Flyers were and were just happy for the run.
Everyone also knew that Chicago was a better team.
It sucked horribly and it hurts now more than ever that they lost but I'm still excited about next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
It felt ****** but people here in Philadelphia have a crazy amount of respect for their city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
i was heart broken. we lost to a team we could have beaten. and it was even worse since we essentially dominated game 6, and lost on 1 fluke chance.

but, while philly might be filled with passionate, colorful and sometimes angry fans. they're also mostly all down to earth, hardworking, blue collar people that have a huge respect for the city they live in.

I live in center city, and even when the phils won the world series, it was more of a big party than a riot. the extent of damage was 1 store (robinson luggage on broad and walnut) got broken in to, but it was only 5 or 6 people who looted. and those people were just criminals looking for a window of oppurtunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I was there and I was in disbelief for a little while. But since we shouldn't have been there in the first place, I realized how great a run we had. Not only that, I felt like our team would only get better and we would get another shot in the future. No fights or rioting unlike Vancouver.
Loving these stories guys. That's what I was hoping for. This sorta justifies why I feel the way I feel about that city.....this city so far away, that I've never even been to before, yet feel this connection to. I bleed orange through and through.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I teared a bit and my girlfriend was scared to talk to me until about 20 minutes after the dreaded goal. Other than that, I went home and continued my life, a little sad, but happy I got to see a great run.

I feel worse this year because I felt better about this year...everything last year was a treat.
This one sums me up almost word for word. My wife still doesn't know how to talk to me about it....she'll never really understand. But ya, well put!

Old
06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
PhillyCurt12

i don't much remember. i had open heart surgery between the conference finals and the cup finals so i was hopped up on pain killers and was in bed by 9 or so every night from late may until mid-late june lol.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
The moment we lost i had this incredible urge to vandalize the shops in center city philadelphia. And then this urge to commit arson to any police vehicle in sight, putting countless people in danger and taking pictures on my cell phone and waving at the tv crew that was trying to catch the riot that ensued right after our devastating loss.

Oh wait, that was vancouver, i just sat there on the couch stunned for 20 minutes. That was the most anticlimatic goal of all time, and i could not believe it went in. I was so crushed.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:57 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I rioted in Michigan. People were confused.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:58 PM
usualsuspect434

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
LOL!!!

Old
06-16-2011, 03:01 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
they were confused because, in ann arbor, no one has ever actually witnessed disorder.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Terence Peterman

I was just confused. I didn't understand how the puck went in, and I still don't. And I was extremely upset with Kane's celebration. My exact statement was, "You just won the ****ing Stanley Cup, and THAT'S your reaction?" Seriously...the game winning, Cup clinching goal. Every kid who plays hockey dreams of that. He actually did it...as a relatively young player...and his reaction was comparable to a little girl getting that new Barbie she's wanted for months.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Bluepee

I had the clippers out and was shaving my head while the blackhawks raised the cup. i dont think i have ever been so heartbroken.

Bluepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I was disgusted at Leighton for letting that puck go in.

Drove home in complete silence and went to bed right away.

Roo Mad Bro is online now   Reply With Quote