HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: The Mercier Bridge is a Bad Bridge Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 11:04 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
The hell were you doing there?
Research into their efforts to preserve their indigenous language. Was interesting, they have classes now (then) so kids are learning their traditional language as well as English/French (less French but that's another story). Scariest thing all day was the drive over the groaning Mercier.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The state of infrastructure in this province is beyond embarassing. We are living with third-world country level roads and bridges.

And don't even get me started on this arena bullsh*t...This province has it's priorities completely mixed it and it is embarassing.
Plus Montreal agrees to spend hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars on fixing the roof on the Big O, and on the Bixi system. What a joke....
I so agree. But the truth is that Governments are in the business of getting re-elected. They do what ever gets more headlines. Bixi is a foolish attempt to be environmentally friendly, and short sighted tree huggers always fall for the low hanging fruit. Same for the arena and teh roof on that piece of ***** Big Owe. Sport is the opiate of the people. Ever wonder why all these 3rd world countries have millions dying of starvation, but always seem to have an olympic team? Keep the dumb public occupied cheering silly sports.

As for infrastructure.... Montreal is just an embarassment. Every road system was designed for traffic patterns of the 1950's, have not been maintained since they were built, and obviously not improved. Ever wonder why as you get closer to downtown things go from 4 lanes to 3, to 2? No wonder there is congestion.

But what politician will do something so unsexy as using tax money to fix the infrastructure?

For God's sake, there are still main water pipes built in WOOD in the Verdun area...

No city in Canada is as underplanned, overgrown and unmainatianed as Montreal.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Ever wonder why all these 3rd world countries have millions dying of starvation, but always seem to have an olympic team?
I think your point was solid without this exaggeration.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
katatoniak

Dont understand why people bring the Quebec arena into this ... let Quebec get his arena and get yourself good bridges ... not like 200 millions would change a lot of stuff. It will probably cost billions to put those bridges and road in good shape.

I live in Jonquiere, our roads are ****** too. I went to Quebec city this weekend on the road #175. They've done an awesome job.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
OpenIceHit

I'm a civil engineer working around the globe (mostly in New York and Barcelona) and let me tell you this province is a ****ing joke! This ****tty mentality of always wanting everything free and the way politicians always makes things go slower.

In the end, we didn't build anything major to improve the increasing population since the 60's and everything we build cost more than anywhere else. It takes us years to build a god damn viaduc, can you imagine a new bridge? They wanted to start building the freaking CHUM in 1995, they started this year. At least they're trying to complete the 30 (which started in 80's but was then postponed) and they a bridge and a few metro station in Laval.

Anyway, don't get me started. I could talk about it for hours. Thank god I'm not stuck with these imbeciles (regarding construction)...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:16 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
So the Châteauguay-bound lane is closed for the summer due to "Safety concerns", and pretty much being in danger of collapsing into the St. Lawrence. Now, the MTL bound lane is open from 1AM to 12PM, when it then switches to Châteauguay bound from 1PM till 12AM.

Estimated re-opening: "Autumn"
Personally, I think it should be kept to one lane both ways, this is ridiculous. Also, incredible that the government is in talks for a new Hockey arena, when you have an 80 year old bridge which is essentially a hazard.

Anyone else affected by this? I'm really not looking forward to a summer stuck in Chateauguay.
Bridge : 3-7G$, no return $-wise
Arena : 400M$ estimated repayment over the course of 20 years through a Lease agreement AND, lots of taxes from players AND lots of works from a TEAM, food franchises, souvenirs, tourists, etc.

I'm not saying that you're entirely wrong... it's just not the same money. if you were to say e.g. they are building more roads to get to Chambly, St-Jean, St-Mathieu de Beloeil, Boisbriand, etc... and they are not providing for the increase in traffic that it creates toward the City... then, you'd be right.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
I'm pretty sure all bridges are under federal jurisdiction
Not all, but The Federal Bridge Corp runs:
Greater Montreal Area
Jacques Cartier Bridge

Champlain Bridge

Champlain Bridge Ice Control Structure (Estacade)

Federal portion of the Honoré-Mercier Bridge

Federal portion of the Bonaventure Expressway
Melocheville Tunnel

http://www.federalbridge.ca/Subsidia...3/Default.aspx

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
habs_24x

I used the Mercier bridge yesterday afternoon at around 4:30-5:00 PM towards Chateauguay and traffic was non existant! straight through without hesitation.

This morning at around 8:00 am, same thing towards Montreal, no traffic whatsoever!

Go figure.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I don't know how much parking there is at Candiac Train Station, but the AMT has added extra commuter trains to the schedule & got the OK from CP in Calgary(Who own the tracks) to slot them in immediately.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Thank you construction and bridges...

It took me an hour and a half to get to work this morning.

It usually takes me 40 minutes.

If it's gonna be like this all summer it<s extremely likely that I'm involved in a murder suicide.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Go living and Montreal and have a bus pass.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:25 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
I used the Mercier bridge yesterday afternoon at around 4:30-5:00 PM towards Chateauguay and traffic was non existant! straight through without hesitation.

This morning at around 8:00 am, same thing towards Montreal, no traffic whatsoever!

Go figure.
After 1PM it's both lanes towards Chateauguay, before that it's both lanes towards the city. So yeah, if you're going in the right direction, you'll be unaffected. Otherwise, you face destruction.

My band is playing a show on tuesday at Underworld, I literally have no clue how we're going to get there.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
MarkovsKnee

I grew up in Chateauguay but my parents moved me out of there when I was 12. We moved to the Toronto area. My grandfather and an uncle still live in Chateauguay though. My granddad has been there like 50+ years so he isn't moving.

Last September, we drove down to see him and we used Mercier to get to Montreal. The bridge side going from Montreal to Chateauguay was horrible. I thought it was going to break a tie rod on my car or something it was so bumpy. Plus, there were holes in the bridge, not pot holes, holes, like you could look down and see the St. Lawrence River.

I'm sorry that people having to use it are going to suffer because of its closure, but happy that they are finally repairing it. It needs some serious work on it.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:11 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
I grew up in Chateauguay but my parents moved me out of there when I was 12. We moved to the Toronto area. My grandfather and an uncle still live in Chateauguay though. My granddad has been there like 50+ years so he isn't moving.

Last September, we drove down to see him and we used Mercier to get to Montreal. The bridge side going from Montreal to Chateauguay was horrible. I thought it was going to break a tie rod on my car or something it was so bumpy. Plus, there were holes in the bridge, not pot holes, holes, like you could look down and see the St. Lawrence River.

I'm sorry that people having to use it are going to suffer because of its closure, but happy that they are finally repairing it. It needs some serious work on it.
The problem is that the majority of the roads and bridges are not in need of repairs; they need to be replaced. I can no longer count on one hand the number of major arteries that are currently being repaired. I live in NDG, right around Villa Maria Metro and commutes used to be so easy. I was able to get downtown in ten minutes, to the south shore in 15 and to the west island in 20. I now can't get on the 20 west, can't get on the 15 south without sitting in traffic for 20 minutes and when coming home from downtown I have no exit to get off. (St Jacques is closed indefinetly) Dont even get me started on what these commutes are like during rush hour. (which now feels like it's all day long) The scariest part is that a good number of the infrastructure is closed because they're afraid that too much weight will potentially lead to a collapse. How scary is that? Furthermore, the Quebec government is so shortsighted. Did they not recognize that repairs needed to be done sooner? Were they not aware that closing down so many main arteries at the exact same time would lead to obscene amounts of traffic? What's worse is that even when you think you're safe you're not. The other night I sat in traffic on the 40 heading east at 11 at night because it was closed between stinson and st laurent. So frustrating.

MJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think your point was solid without this exaggeration.
Yeah.... millions starving is a stretch. Mea culpa

But the point remains, the more people focus on sports, the less they spend objectively looking at the execution of government and public works.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Arena : 400M$ estimated repayment over the course of 20 years through a Lease agreement AND, lots of taxes from players AND lots of works from a TEAM, food franchises, souvenirs, tourists, etc.
Government is NOT a business. Stop thinking that it is one or that it should operate as one. Government is the antonym of business.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Yeah.... millions starving is a stretch. Mea culpa

But the point remains, the more people focus on sports, the less they spend objectively looking at the execution of government and public works.
Yes, I agree with your point entirely, and I apologise for nitpicking. Pet-peeve of mine, I suppose. The structure of government doesn't allow for long-term (proper) planning, and bandaids such as sport do distract.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:50 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Government is NOT a business. Stop thinking that it is one or that it should operate as one. Government is the antonym of business.
just explaining that they are still ran by money anyways.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:58 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Arena : 400M$ estimated repayment over the course of 20 years through a Lease agreement AND, lots of taxes from players AND lots of works from a TEAM, food franchises, souvenirs, tourists, etc. .
As of right now there is no team to bring in all of that predicted revenue, and even if there is one, we don't know if it will be profitable. There is enough money in the private sector to build an arena if needed. There is no reason for the government to use public funds to build an arena for a non existant team that has no guarantee of coming here.

The proposed deal also states that the government will not charge rent if the arena is not profitable. To me the entire idea is insane.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:07 PM
DeVries*

Welcome to Quebec. Politicians always gave contracts to the low-cost projects (and oftently friends of them), then the cost double or triple during the works but it's never because of better quality. And now here we are. Crappy infrastructures all around the province ready to fall, and nobody having the guts to start major projects but always willing to pay millions for researchs (those ****ing 'etudes' in french), again, runned by the same bunch of engineers and lawyers who just contributed for their friends elections. And we call that democraty. Who will be responsible if the Mercier Bridge falls and kills many? Nobody is ever responsible for bad choices and stupids acts in Quebec anyways.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:38 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
The state of infrastructure in this province is beyond embarassing. We are living with third-world country level roads and bridges. People make jokes about it but it is ****ing sad as hell that a North American province has pathetic infrastructure like we do, as well as pathetic management in place to run it.
So true. Sure climate has a lot to do with the rapid degradation of roads but they do fine elsewere in Canada.

Quote:
On Friday they announced that the exit on Decarie South going to the 720 East was going to be closed and only one lane would be open effective immediately until DECEMBER. I understand the urgency of safety issues but for there to be literally no notice whatsoever means they had no idea things were as bad as they are. What's worse is I take that exit every day and I have for over 2 years...At least 6-8 months of the last 2 years has seen that exact exit only have 1 lane open due to construction...How was this safety hazard not noticed back then when they were working on it?

And don't even get me started on this arena bullsh*t...This province has it's priorities completely mixed it and it is embarassing. We need new government in place at all levels because we are basically being controlled by the mafia and big business. The deal they are trying to broker in Quebec City with Quebecor is basically illegal which is why the government is trying to rush in legislation to allow it to pass. Plus Montreal agrees to spend hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars on fixing the roof on the Big O, and on the Bixi system. What a joke...Spend $100,000,000 on bicycles when we have no roads to ride them on. It would shock me if the Bixi system ever even makes $100,000,000 in profits, ever. That is wasted money by our corrupt and incompetant government.
Humm seems to me you get things mixed up. Bixi is the city of Montreal's responsability, so are Montreal's road mostly (that are MUCH worse than anywere else in Quebec imho).

Anyways a new provincial government won't change a thing. The PQ is one of the major reasons our roads are ****, they basically completely cut funding there for a decade in the 1990s in order to achieve ''deficit zero''. The long term results were catastrophic (which is why they are pretty much rebuilding the whole infrastructure troughtout Quebec, lots of it is beyond repair). I don't think her royal highness Pauline the first is going to make any effort to change that. I heard she supports the new Colisée also... We're in deep **** as far as provincial politics go.

As for Montreal I don't really know... Tremblay has always looked incompetent to me. You guys need a great new mayor, lots of work to be done but it would be great to see Montreal back in top shape.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:55 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I hate Gérald Tremblay. For him, everything is fine. Always fine. Medias ask him about ''les compteurs d'eau'', Bixi, and other things and he always repeats the same things. Last time I heard him, he was on LCN saying how he was tired of people criticizing him because everything was fine. I also can't believe he was not aware of what happened with ''les compteurs d'eau''(don't know the name in English, as you probably figured it out). It was only the biggest contract in Montréal's history.

Tout est correct, my ass.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Humm seems to me you get things mixed up. Bixi is the city of Montreal's responsability, so are Montreal's road mostly (that are MUCH worse than anywere else in Quebec imho). .....
And this is a key point of note as well, the general public has no clue who does what, so the different levekls of government can pass the ball between themselves, and the regular Joe can't even follow.

That regular Joe is basically busy keeping his personal life afloat, budget/family/job/sanity... he loses track of track and says "to hell with it"... problem solved.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:15 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
So true. Sure climate has a lot to do with the rapid degradation of roads but they do fine elsewere in Canada.

Humm seems to me you get things mixed up. Bixi is the city of Montreal's responsability, so are Montreal's road mostly (that are MUCH worse than anywere else in Quebec imho).

Anyways a new provincial government won't change a thing. The PQ is one of the major reasons our roads are ****, they basically completely cut funding there for a decade in the 1990s in order to achieve ''deficit zero''. The long term results were catastrophic (which is why they are pretty much rebuilding the whole infrastructure troughtout Quebec, lots of it is beyond repair). I don't think her royal highness Pauline the first is going to make any effort to change that. I heard she supports the new Colisée also... We're in deep **** as far as provincial politics go.

As for Montreal I don't really know... Tremblay has always looked incompetent to me. You guys need a great new mayor, lots of work to be done but it would be great to see Montreal back in top shape.
At the end of the day, the government in Quebec is rotten from the municipal level to the provincial level. I know that I lumped Montreal's issues in with Quebec's issues, but to me it's all the same crap with a different smell. There needs to be a change at EVERY level of government in this province because the mentality is the same everywhere. Capitaine Gionta put it very well with the "everything is fine" point...That's the type of laissez faire attitude that we have come to accept in this city and this province (and country to a certain extent).

It's become such a big joke that at this point nobody really cares anymore. But now, with half the bridges about to collapse at any given moment, with the downtown core about to cave in and aquaducts exploding all over the place...Maybe finally people will wake up and say they've had enough.

I live off the Atwater exit on the 720 and the traffic lately getting off the exit in insane because they decided to redo all the aquaducts on St-Jacques all at the same time. It makes it very hard for me to get down me street because there is already a ton of volume on Rose-de-Lima from the exit, and now St-Jacques takes 10 minutes to go down 1 block. I remember last summer, they closed down this intersection for a long time to redo the aquaducts already, so I don't understand why they are doing it again. If something was wrong, how could they not have noticed the first time around? This is the kind of thing someone should be fired for, but nothing happens. Now they are closing Rose-de-Lima entirely at the St-Jacques intersection (again, just 1 year after doing it) which is completely insane when you consider they ALREADY have reduced St-Jacques to 1 lane, and getting off the 720 at Atwater only gives you 2 options (Rose-de-Lima to go south and St-Jacques to go East). Now you only have 1 option getting off the Atwater exit, which is a 1-lane St-Jacques full of construction. That's a very heavy exit that a lot of people use...I just don't understand the decision-making going into these things.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote