Islanders Dangle 5th overall pick.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:47 AM
se7en
infamous...

vCash: 500
Islanders Dangle 5th overall pick.

Quote:
4:30 pm: For the first time since the Collapse-and-Rebuild began in 2008, the Islanders are dangling their first round draft pick as trade bait. NHL sources have told Point Blank that general manager Garth Snow will listen to offers for the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft.
Full Story here: http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...ten-to-offers/

and Here: http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...1.2954103?qr=1

They are looking for a "young vet" most likely an offensive player that will add depth. The Isles are determined to be a playoff contender next season.

Is this anything the Wild would be interested in?

I wish it was a higher pick but considering:

1) we don't have a second round pick
2) the draft is in Minnesota
3) the Isles have plenty of cap space
4) Wild need to shed contracts & salary
&5) Fletcher is looking to make a splash

Is this something worth while? Anybody you guys can think of that would fit their criteria? I was thinking like PMB or maybe Havlat (I doubt he'd wave his NTC tho) maybe even Nick Shultz? (I'd hate to do that tho with so many young D coming up, we need some veteran presence...

I'm pretty iffy on the idea considering this draft seems kind of week but it would be nice to have two top 10 draft picks in the draft at home. Could be good for the future if we pick right & a great way to ditch a contract to clear space?

Thoughts?

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd imagine they would want Burns. Bouchard, Havlat, Schultz, they are complimentary players, but Burns has the potential to be a dominant guy (note potential because IMO he still hasn't put together a full year of consistent quality play).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
saywut

Chances are it would be us moving up from #10. Which would mean including next years picks and/or some of our prospects. Fletcher wants a playoff team, no point in trading Havlat or Burns for a draft pick.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
se7en
infamous...

Sorry to post the same thing twice but I thought of this in the crazy trade thread & the more I think about it the more feasable it may be...?

What do you think:

I propose the Wild trade a player to the Islanders for their 5th. So now the Wild have the #5 & #10 pick. Take the #5 pick & #10 pick and package with one of our AHL goalie prospects and then trade the 2 number 1 picks & goalie prospect to Edmonton for their #1 overall pick (#1 pick in the draft)

that or plan B would be trade Colorado for their #1 (2nd overall)

Wild get a top 3 draft pick, lose an overpaid player & make a big splash by #1 overall at home (or #2 overall)

Edmonton & Colorado both need a quality Goalie right? And getting a #5 & #10 pick plus a good goalie prospect for a #1 in a mediocre draft might be a good deal right?

Win, Win ,Win?

Or would we be better off with a #5 & #10?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Burns, 10th overall, Kuemper for Nugent-Hopkins? Giving up way too much.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:08 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Chances are it would be us moving up from #10. Which would mean including next years picks and/or some of our prospects. Fletcher wants a playoff team, no point in trading Havlat or Burns for a draft pick.
Snow said that he only wants a Young Vet player & that he doesn't need picks & prospects too. They have faith in their farm team players & they are just looking for 1solid piece in return to boost them..

I wouldn't trade Burns for it but I would consider PMB, Havlat or Shultz maybe.. It would make next year even more painful but I think it's agreed we aint a cup team. If we have some young kids that will be coming up in the next 2 seasons this may be the perfect time to build a young dynamic team that will be low cost for years. Gotta love having talented young RFA's!

The more I think about it the more willing I am.. Whats the point of fight for a first round play-off exit when we could possibly have a really young, solid inexpensive team in 2 to 3 seasons?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Burns, 10th overall, Kuemper for Nugent-Hopkins? Giving up way too much.
I really don't think it has to be Burns tho.. Not for a #5 draft pick.

I bet they'd take PMB, Havlat or Shultz. Maybe not Kuemper either.. What about our goalie in Germany? What's his name again?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Dennis Endras and no he doesn't have that value.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:22 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Dennis Endras and no he doesn't have that value.
That's too bad..

Oh well, Like most of our trade talk on here, none of it will probably happen but at least it's something to talk about. haha

What do you think is the most low ball player that the Isles would accept?

Or do you guys thin it's not even worth a #5 pick for anyone we have that they'd take?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I'd be willing to consider Bouchard for the 5th, then keep both 5 and 10.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

The only pieces that the Wild have to acquire the 5th are the ones they shouldn't be considering moving.

I'm sure the Wild would like to do something at the draft to get the fan base excited. But these are the sorts of things you shouldn't be forcing. And trading up or moving important pieces is doing just that in my opinion.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I'd be willing to consider Bouchard for the 5th, then keep both 5 and 10.
Now we're talking! haha

I would miss PMB tho... I really enjoyed watching that little pipsqueak play last season when he came back. He may not be the best but he was pretty exciting IMO.

But yes, I would also trade him.. BUT just to better our future

Old
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
The only pieces that the Wild have to acquire the 5th are the ones they shouldn't be considering moving.

I'm sure the Wild would like to do something at the draft to get the fan base excited. But these are the sorts of things you shouldn't be forcing. And trading up or moving important pieces is doing just that in my opinion.
I somewhat agree but again I think we have a big case of the endowment effect going on here.. We don't have the proper pieces to be a cup team. We're not 1 sniper away from the cup. And we can't keep doing patch jobs. I'm not saying complete rebuild but if we have an oppurtunity to lose a big contrat in return for having 2 top 10 picks. With Granlund, & Zucker & Wellman & Bulmer, if we trust Fletchers drafting ability, getting 2 more top 10 draft picks gives us a chance to have a young, cheap & powerful team in 2 to 3 seasons. Yes it sucks now, but if giving up 1 overpaid player now for what could be 2 dynamic cheap RFA's in 2 to 3 years I'm all for it.

EDIT - btw, for anyone who might not know, the endowment effect is someone over valuing a possession they have because they are familiar with it & comfortable with it & there for they feel it has more value. It has been proven that in most cases people would rather keep what they have then give it up for the unknown out of fear of change.. It's why people sell their used car for a cost more than it's worth & then wonder why it doesn't sell..

Old
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

All the bigger contracts really aren't all that movable due to a few different factors, though. Especially if we're talking about a #5 Overall Pick. And you're certainly not going to trade Burns for that pick. Outside of him, there's not a whole lot there, in my opinion, that would motivate the Islanders to move that type of selection.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Bouchard isn't getting moved for 5th overall. He's a 60 point playmaker with concussion history. If they're moving 5th overall, they want a top pairing defenseman or a goal scorer.

5th overall for Jeff Carter might be a win-win if they weren't in the same conference.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
se7en
infamous...

i see your guys points.. I guess my only rebutal would be that the Islanders don't have the best history of making smart trades & with a less than stellar draft this year & poor FA class, alot of teams might not want to offer up much for a #5. The Wild may actually be in the best position to trade with them.. Especially considering the draft is in Minnesota & Fletcher is trying to win over fans by showing that change is coming...

I have heard rumors that because of the poor draft class that almost all the top 10 teams are willing to trade. The Isles just are going with the more blatant & obvious "we don't want this pick" approach...

Old
06-16-2011, 01:26 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Bouchard isn't getting moved for 5th overall. He's a 60 point playmaker with concussion history. If they're moving 5th overall, they want a top pairing defenseman or a goal scorer.

5th overall for Jeff Carter might be a win-win if they weren't in the same conference.
Disagree, if they want Carter, they would have to offer MORE than just the 5th overall pick in this draft. Remember, the value of the pick is directly related to the quality of player available there.

Bouchard is actually a much more likely one for one deal, considering howe he played when he came back, and how his playmaking would fit nicely with the Isles roster.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Simply putting it; it would cost us too much to move up to the 5th spot on a team that is as deep as a puddle of water in a July afternoon.

I'm thinking Burns + Bouchard for the 5th at best.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Disagree, if they want Carter, they would have to offer MORE than just the 5th overall pick in this draft. Remember, the value of the pick is directly related to the quality of player available there.

Bouchard is actually a much more likely one for one deal, considering howe he played when he came back, and how his playmaking would fit nicely with the Isles roster.
Thank you, well said. My point exactly. regardless of if it's a 5th or a 50th pick it's still pretty much a crap shoot & in a weak draft class. I don't think that pick will command the value it would have in other drafts. I think a PMB or Shultz could get it done. Burns would be a huge overpayment..

Old
06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Why would you even consider moving Burns for the 5th Overall? Let alone adding to that?

Old
06-16-2011, 01:58 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Simply putting it; it would cost us too much to move up to the 5th spot on a team that is as deep as a puddle of water in a July afternoon.

I really just don't see the Isles getting anywhere near that return. Not with a poor FA & Draft class...

I really think a 60 - 80 point single player is the best they'll get. It's just not that valuable of pick this season... I honestly think theyd be lucky to get a PMB for it.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I really just don't see the Isles getting anywhere near that return. Not with a poor FA & Draft class...

I really think a 60 - 80 point single player is the best they'll get. It's just not that valuable of pick this season... I honestly think theyd be lucky to get a PMB for it.
Because the top 5-7 picks of this draft are actually pretty strong. Once you move outside those picks, it becomes really muddled up badly with a lot of questionable picks.

Islanders don't need another prospect as they have a lot of depth in their minors. What they need is already developed young players.

Isles have a LOT of cap room to work with, so teams that need to unload contracts again this year are going to be looking at Snow and his team to move pieces around. He's just one of the teams.

They will get a very good, and an already developed player for the 5th overall pick. A 60-80 point player with some upside still would be an outstanding return for the pick. Or a solid but steady defenseman.

Both Burns and Bouchard have a lot of question marks surrounding their game.

Burns has yet to fully develop as a defenseman and there is questions if he will ever hit his upside or if he'll just be a solid top 4 defenseman. There is also questions surrounding how much it will cost to keep him or if he will look into free agency.

Bouchard is one concussion away from being Savard. He has also never really taken that next step as a player in his development curve and is not that valuable in the overall scheme of things.

He is only valuable to the Wild due to the lack of depth on offense.

Quiet frankly, Minnesota shouldn't be looking to move up but move down in this draft. Moving up is going to be hard to do.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Um...fyi Burns is already a number one all-star defenseman.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Um...fyi Burns is already a number one all-star defenseman.
On this team. I don't think on a team stacked like Boston he would be.

We really don't have a number 1 defenseman on this team; Zidlicky, Zanon and Schultz aren't number 1 defensemen. Neither is Stoner, Spurgy, or Scandella.

Simply saying it is by necessity and not by choice Burns is our top defenseman.

Do I think he could be? If he gets the right coach and continues to progress, I think he'll be a top defenseman. Kind of like Marc Staal.

Old
06-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Northland Wild Man
Run The Goalie!

I can't see the Wild making a move up to 5th in this years draft, at least not with what the team would have to give up to do it.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote