HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any chance for Pre-Season game or Camp in Grand Forks?

Old
06-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Drury_Sakic

vCash: 500
Any chance for Pre-Season game or Camp in Grand Forks?

Simple question, any chance we see some Pre-Season Jets (or whatever) pre-season games or some camp taking place in Grand Forks in the near future?

For those who don't know, Grand Forks has one of, if not the best hockey rink in all of college hockey. Benefits, of course, would be to gain some North American exposure for the club and perhaps draw some fans into the rink during the season from ND as well as pick up some TV viewers. Another benefit would be the potential for using the visit as a chance to gain some exposure to some of the UND hockey talent, who, by choosing UND, have already signaled they are OK living and playing in a "smaller" market.

Thoughts?

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:50 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Maybe in the future... forsure not this year though

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:25 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

NEVER. TNSE will always look within Manitoba or Northern Ontario first.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
cbcwpg

IIRC TNSE said maybe after the first season they would look at holding a couple of thier pre-season games outside of Winnipeg. Concidering that all the STHs purchased 4 pre-season home games for this first season, all the "home" pre-season games will be in Winnipeg.

Doesn't mean that the Winnipeg team couldn't be hosted by the Minnesota Wild in Grand Forks or Fargo. I do believe the Wild have played pre-season games in one or both of those towns in the past.

Have to wait for the schedule.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

I played in an IAFF hockey tourney this winter at the Ralph in G Forks. Beautiful arena good little hockey town. Sure they would thrilled to have an game played here.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I don't see why not!

I loved making trips to Grand Forks!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I don't see why not!

I loved making trips to Grand Forks!
There's 3 bars there downtown, on Wednesday's it 10 bucks all you can drink.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:13 AM
dobiezeke*

Great facility - new fanbase to bring into the Winnipeg fold. The city is a big supporter of Manitoba due to the influx of students/visitors to the city from the province. It would be a great way to bring a new fanbase into the States...

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Drury_Sakic

Also perhaps worth noting that True North chairman Mark Chipman is a UND alum. He played football for the university and obtained both his undergraduate and law degrees from UND

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:57 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Also perhaps worth noting that True North chairman Mark Chipman is a UND alum. He played football for the university and obtained both his undergraduate and law degrees from UND
great point, id really like to see us play Minnesota yearly in the pre season down there i think it would be great to bring in more fans from North Dakota

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Cooperalls
Oiler Fan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Simple question, any chance we see some Pre-Season Jets (or whatever) pre-season games or some camp taking place in Grand Forks in the near future?

For those who don't know, Grand Forks has one of, if not the best hockey rink in all of college hockey. Benefits, of course, would be to gain some North American exposure for the club and perhaps draw some fans into the rink during the season from ND as well as pick up some TV viewers. Another benefit would be the potential for using the visit as a chance to gain some exposure to some of the UND hockey talent, who, by choosing UND, have already signaled they are OK living and playing in a "smaller" market.

Thoughts?
Oh, no worries, Winnipegers KNOW where Grand Forks is! On any given weekend, we make up about 50% of your population. You're welcome to make the 2 hour drive up here for training camp.

Cooperalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
As others have said, not in the first year. But having a pre season game there once in a while might not be such a bad thing (from the perspective of increasing the fanbase of the team in Grand Forks).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:30 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

For sure.

I'm guessing TNSE is hoping to convert hockey fans from North Dakota and maybe a few from Minnesota into Jets fans. One way would be for an exhibition game in Grand Forks.

I also think TNSE will probably play an exhibition game in Atlanta every year (after this one) in order to attempt to keep Atlanta fans interested in the Thrashers/Jets instead of converting to a fan of the Preds or Canes.

Every fan you have = potential $.

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Tdoe42

I imagine that the training camp will be held in the city. TNSE didnt build the "Moose" Ice Plex for nothing

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

People always remark at how great a hockey market Grand Forks is but whenever I go down there all I see are peopel wearing Twins shirts and in the sporting good shops Twins and Cubs merchandize dominates over anything else.

I do see some fighting Sioux stuff but the Sioux is more than just hockey. (Are they ever gonna settle that name debate? )

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
People always remark at how great a hockey market Grand Forks is but whenever I go down there all I see are peopel wearing Twins shirts and in the sporting good shops Twins and Cubs merchandize dominates over anything else.

I do see some fighting Sioux stuff but the Sioux is more than just hockey. (Are they ever gonna settle that name debate? )
When I go there all I see is every guy and his dog wearing fight sioux shirts, lids etc. The Fighting Sioux logo is by far the best hockey logo.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

I see nothing but UND Fight Sioux gear in GF personally

King Woodballs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote