HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What do we have to do to contend for the cup next season?

Old
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
PG was pro scout when we got those players. Gauthier was GM when we got Eller, Wiz and Moore. It's a different pro scout. At least get your facts straight.

Also, could you please lend me your crystal ball, because as of now, Wiz is still a member of the Habs.
The effects of bad pro scouting when PG was the pro scout are still being felt. I'm criticizing the body of work.

Who is the pro scout now? Does PG not have a say on it? does he not scout and watch games?

Why didn't they resign Moore instead of Halpern: to save 1M....Regardless they need to be better at PRO scouting.

You wanna bet that wiz will not be back? avatar bet? I'm all in because I believe he won't be back!!!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Jakomyte

Cammalleri-Plekanec-XXXX
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pouliot-Desharnais-White
Darche

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber
Emelin

Price
Whoever

XXXX - A top 6 winger, ideally someone who is physical, not small, and can put up at least 20-20-40.

I think this roster should be able to get into the playoffs. In the current cap era, any team in the playoffs can with the Stanley Cup.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
The effects of bad pro scouting when PG was the pro scout are still being felt. I'm criticizing the body of work.

Who is the pro scout now? Does PG not have a say on it? does he not scout and watch games?

Why didn't they resign Moore instead of Halpern: to save 1M....Regardless they need to be better at PRO scouting.

You wanna bet that wiz will not be back? avatar bet? I'm all in because I believe he won't be back!!!
Halpern instead of Moore was a genius move...Halpern was more productive(5 on 5 points) and on faceoffs and cost about half what Moore costs. I like Moore but Halpern is as good or better.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Reign40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
How did Julien tweak it and when did Martin not?

Sounds more like a Martin hatefest than anything based on reality.
Well the Martin not is obvious if you watched any Habs games at all.

Some examples as to Julien;
1. In Mtl Boston was not having any success getting pucks to the net from the point, as the Mtl D-men were blocking everything, so he instructed his poitmen to shoot off the net instead creating rebounds of the fast dasher boards in Mtl and giving the forwards more opportunities.
2. The Boston forecheck was never the same sometimes 2-men, often 3.
3. In Vancouver due not having last change he mixed up his d-lines every so often to keep the Sedin line off-balance.

A coach does not just watch the game he has to get involved.

Reign40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Boston doesn't "keep it on their stick" more, they play a lot more dump and chase, obviously by dumping you don't keep the puck. As soon as they take a lead they get it over center and dump it in for the most part.

For a team that's not even close to contending we nearly took out the eventual champs in round one and got to the final 4 last year, the team can't be as flawed as you seem to think. Boston has flaws also, our defense should be a lot more skilled and mobile than theirs, our PP should still be light years ahead.

Brodeur had 8-10 very good years back to back in his prime, not sure what hockey you were watching. If we can upgrade the defense a bit and have it more healthy, Price can probably match his stats while having a lesser year. He played most of the 1st half with Subban struggling, Markov out and Gorges playing hurt then out of the lineup. Next year the defense has the potential to be A LOT better, helping score more goals and keep more out.
So having 92,5% of SV% is, you're assuming, pretty much a standard going forward as far as Price is concerned? I sure as hell hope it's not what's you're expecting. If he actually succeeds each and every year of his career like he did this season going forward, he's going to be a HHOF and considered one of the best of all time. Can it happen? Not impossible, but it's definitely the best-case scenario. Brodeur didn't play each and every season of his career as good as Price did, forget it. He had some ups, some down, like any human being. Even Roy did.

As good as the defense can be next season, if Markov gets injured, we have Subban and Gorges as #1 and #2 d-man, if we sign Markov and opt to let Wiz go. That's definitely not a good situation to be in. Diaz, for all we know, MIGHT play in the NHL one day, and Emelin is far from being a sure thing in this league. Just watch a guy like Jonas Frogren, who was supposed to have a great impact on the Leafs when he came in. He was supposedly "all built for playing in North America". How did it end up? We all know it.

And who's to say Subban is not going to have a sophomore slump? People here all expect him to keep improving. As if a player's curve of development was all linear . Come on... For all we know, he might pull a Myers next season, which would be all natural, and certainly not unprecedented.

As for the offense, we don't know what's going to happen. But judging from the last two seasons, we're bottom-5 in the league, especially at ES where we're pathetic as far as offensive production.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Cammalleri-Plekanec-XXXX
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pouliot-Desharnais-White
Darche

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber
Emelin

Price
Whoever

XXXX - A top 6 winger, ideally someone who is physical, not small, and can put up at least 20-20-40.

I think this roster should be able to get into the playoffs. In the current cap era, any team in the playoffs can with the Stanley Cup.
As much as I love all our centers (I believe Gomez can do better than what he showed this season), we're going to get wrecked in faceoffs against the better teams. Especially losing Halpern...

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Ketzlaf

The best plan is very simple: Don't spend on an overpriced UFA and make sure you have enough cap space next summer to sign Subban and Price. This bruised up group was one goal away from taking out the Bruins. We aren't as far as most think.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Jacques would not have a 4th line of Paille-Campbell-Thornton.
Of course not. He has much better players to use for his fourth line -- Desharnais comes to mind.

Besides, Julien didn't seem to want to use them too much either. Thornton played less than 7 minutes a game, Paille less than 9. Campbell managed to crack 10, largely on penalty-killing. They were the least-used of all Bruins at even-strength, with less than 8 minutes a game each (and neither Paille nor Thornton cracked 7).

Coaches play fourth-liners like these guys to give their better players a break. They only have intrinsic value if they can beat other teams' 4th-liners, otherwise, their job is to play the softest, most sheltered minutes possible and not get destroyed.

A team does not become good, gritty, or tough based on its fourth line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign40 View Post
JM is either incapable off or unwilling to make in game adjustments.
JM makes in-game adjustments all the time and there are games that the Habs won based on it (the win against San Jose where he traded Plekanec's and Gomez's line assignments comes immediately to mind.)

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Just something I wanted to point out... Boston was picked to make it to the SCF almost unanimously by TSN analysts before the playoffs started.
Really? Didn't know that. I was shocked they made it.

I guess that's because I thought we matched up well against them and I thought we'd bounce them in the first round. In retrospect I guess I should've given them more respect. They had a very good regular season and defensively they were great. They also had to face the weakest Conference that the NHL has seen since I can remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Strongly disagree, the Habs outplayed the Bruins in large stretches during their series and the season, Thomas was the difference. Price gave the Habs a chance to win every game and without sounding like a broken record with Markov, Gorges, and Patches playing, it wouldn't have been close and Habs win in 5 or 6.

I am quite happy with the direction this club is going, parity is here in the NHL as evidenced by the last 2 playoffs, the Habs are on the upswing and will be even better this next season, book it.
I thought we played very well against the Bruins and I thought we'd take that series. But there was no way I saw us going to the finals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
What do the Habs have to do? Change the way they build the roster and change the way they play offensively.

Stop living in a fantasy world where small fast teams have a chance to make it through the East and all the way to the Cup.
I agree with you entirely. Size isn't everything but you can't neglect it to the extent that we have and expect to win. The biggest team doesn't always win but the smallest never does. We need to get bigger skilled forwards on the 1st line. Cammy is fine. But Cammy with Pleks, Gionta and Gomez just doesn't work. MaxPac will help but he's still very young and AK doesn't use his size. It's a problem that we've ignored for too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
That would take a change of philosophy, and ask yourself if this management team has it in them to change who is on the roster, and how they are coached to play.

You need a back up goalie who can win 10 games or more, and does not upset the balance of your true #1, Price.

On D, you need the have a third pair that simply grinds opposing players down. You need size so they can last 82 games plus 20 MORE intense playoff games.

You need to get MUCH bigger at the center position. And not just goons, guys who can chip in 20 goals and 30 assists. You need a top 2 line winger that is big and makes room for Gionta and Cammelari. AK? I had been a supporter for years but...

You need a 3rd line that can skate and hit, and score 45 goals.

You need a 4th line that can score 20 goals and punish opposing D on the dump and chase. They have to be hard to play against. They have to be able to keep up with the pace of the game, no Laraques.

Then you need a coach to look at the roster, and build an offensive game plan built around what he has, not what he thinks will lose him the least amount of games.

And you cannot have your Subban's, Price's etc get abused. You need the team spirit to have othegr players get in there and protect the team's assets.

... Good luck with that.
Well said. A bonafide number one big skilled center would really, really help too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
If we are to compare our team to the Stanley Cup winners.

Goaltending - Price is as good as Thomas
Not this year. Believe it or not, Thomas is coming off the greatest season ever recorded for a netminder in terms of save percentage. He was absolutely sick and he continued to be sick all the way through the finals.

Price is very good and I think he'll be great. But that's a very tall task that I don't think can be expected from any goalie. If Price EVER has a season like that maybe we'll win a cup.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign40 View Post
Well the Martin not is obvious if you watched any Habs games at all.

Some examples as to Julien;
1. In Mtl Boston was not having any success getting pucks to the net from the point, as the Mtl D-men were blocking everything, so he instructed his poitmen to shoot off the net instead creating rebounds of the fast dasher boards in Mtl and giving the forwards more opportunities.
2. The Boston forecheck was never the same sometimes 2-men, often 3.
3. In Vancouver due not having last change he mixed up his d-lines every so often to keep the Sedin line off-balance.

A coach does not just watch the game he has to get involved.
Funny, because your point #1 is not exactly coaching genius stuff. The Habs did the same with success against Thomas, made him look bad 2-3 times, Lapierre won game 5 with a goal like that.

Every team forechecks differently depending on if the puck is loose or under control.

Matching lines is not rocket science either, JM managed to get Gill and Subban against Lucic and Horton even in Boston. The Habs actually did very well in Boston, it was at home that they lost the series.

The biggest difference between the two these playoffs is that Boston had their horses for almost the entire playoffs while the Habs had key regulars out or at least very banged up(Pacioretty Markov Gorges Wisniewski AK). I'm not a fan of the what if game, but some years it's your destiny to win, Boston scored 3 OT's against us on lucky bounces against a decimated team. Last year we got those bounces and this year Boston did. Julien was very close to getting fired last summer, most GM's would have pulled the plug, this year he has a cup...I dount he went for a terrible coach to a great one.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Bullsmith

I think clearly the smartest way to pursue a cup win at this point would be to hire as many of Gary Bettman's relatives as possible. It's funny 'cause it's true.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowsingForACup View Post
So having 92,5% of SV% is, you're assuming, pretty much a standard going forward as far as Price is concerned? I sure as hell hope it's not what's you're expecting. If he actually succeeds each and every year of his career like he did this season going forward, he's going to be a HHOF and considered one of the best of all time. Can it happen? Not impossible, but it's definitely the best-case scenario. Brodeur didn't play each and every season of his career as good as Price did, forget it. He had some ups, some down, like any human being. Even Roy did.

As good as the defense can be next season, if Markov gets injured, we have Subban and Gorges as #1 and #2 d-man, if we sign Markov and opt to let Wiz go. That's definitely not a good situation to be in. Diaz, for all we know, MIGHT play in the NHL one day, and Emelin is far from being a sure thing in this league. Just watch a guy like Jonas Frogren, who was supposed to have a great impact on the Leafs when he came in. He was supposedly "all built for playing in North America". How did it end up? We all know it.

And who's to say Subban is not going to have a sophomore slump? People here all expect him to keep improving. As if a player's curve of development was all linear . Come on... For all we know, he might pull a Myers next season, which would be all natural, and certainly not unprecedented.

As for the offense, we don't know what's going to happen. But judging from the last two seasons, we're bottom-5 in the league, especially at ES where we're pathetic as far as offensive production.
Price is A LOT more likely to be at .925 next year than Thomas at .940. Top goalies are usually in the .920's...CP did it with a decimated defense, if the defense is better he could have a worse year and have the same %.

If they play their cards right, Yemelin and co should not be expected to play key roles. If they force the coach to play them more than it's a bonus. Weber would be top 6 on most NHL teams, he's very smart at both ends and skates well.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Your view of things is pretty much at the pessimistic extreme.

Martin's system just won Boston the cup, so it can't be that bad.

Part of keeping the puck more and chasing it less is having a mobile group on defense, adding Subban, Weber Yemelin and a healthy Markov would be a massive step forward. Boston won the cup against a more puck possession team in Vancouver, so puck posession in itself is not an end all and be all.

We definitely need a couple more guys that play with an edge to compliment guys like AK, Eller, Pacioretty, Moen, White etc
I'm on the Habs bandwagon of fans asking for more physical players. The guys that were willingly physical on the 2007 - 2008 team are either gone or changed their style of play.

And Markov to me is the key because the team is constantly built around him. And this seemingly is the future. Having said that I think there is reason to be pessimistic. In the last four years of playoffs Markov has either been disappointing when playing or a complete "no show" because of injuries.

Right now the D lineup is a complete unknown as to whether it can handle another string of injuries to either Markov and/or Subban and others. I'm hoping Gauthier can't possibly be finished with the D after he signs Markov and Gorges.

The Habs banked on Halak's heroism in the playoffs last year and Price's great play throughout this past season. Markov, Price and Plekanec are key members to this team. None have performed exceptionally well in the playoffs.

The Bruins took it to Vancouver and shattered their dreams. They did it by withstanding physical, intense games the whole way through. I don't see this Habs' team being able to do that unless the goaltender carries them there. And they traded that goaltender. And I don't see Markov making it through an extended playoff season either in one piece.

Everyone's excited about Emelin and so am I but I wouldn't be surprised to see his physical play diminish the longer he is a Hab. I worry that it's management and coaching philosphy now not to be "too physical". The Habs' have Gill, Markov and Gionta as leaders and to intimidate.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I'm on the Habs bandwagon of fans asking for more physical players. The guys that were willingly physical on the 2007 - 2008 team are either gone or changed their style of play.

And Markov to me is the key because the team is constantly built around him. And this seemingly is the future. Having said that I think there is reason to be pessimistic. In the last four years of playoffs Markov has either been disappointing when playing or a complete "no show" because of injuries.

Right now the D lineup is a complete unknown as to whether it can handle another string of injuries to either Markov and/or Subban and others. I'm hoping Gauthier can't possibly be finished with the D after he signs Markov and Gorges.

The Habs banked on Halak's heroism in the playoffs last year and Price's great play throughout this past season. Markov, Price and Plekanec are key members to this team. None have performed exceptionally well in the playoffs.

The Bruins took it to Vancouver and shattered their dreams. They did it by withstanding physical, intense games the whole way through. I don't see this Habs' team being able to do that unless the goaltender carries them there. And they traded that goaltender. And I don't see Markov making it through an extended playoff season either in one piece.

Everyone's excited about Emelin and so am I but I wouldn't be surprised to see his physical play diminish the longer he is a Hab. I worry that it's management and coaching philosphy now not to be "too physical". The Habs' have Gill, Markov and Gionta as leaders and to intimidate.
Players play more physical when they have somebody watching their back. That's why we need an enforcer and maybe another guy not afraid to drop the gloves that can play.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Asamu

In order to be a cup contender, Habs should do some kind of tournament like Joel Bouchard did during the lock-out: The McDonald Academy and actually offer to the finalists an invitation to the Habs training camp. =)

Also, habs should sign Andrej Stastny from Vancouver Giants. The problem is that he's 20 years old. Besides having a sick last name, he was able to get 10G and 20A in 32GP. He's 6'4 , Weight: 215.

Last edited by Asamu: 06-16-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Strongly disagree, the Habs outplayed the Bruins in large stretches during their series and the season, Thomas was the difference. Price gave the Habs a chance to win every game and without sounding like a broken record with Markov, Gorges, and Patches playing, it wouldn't have been close and Habs win in 5 or 6.

I am quite happy with the direction this club is going, parity is here in the NHL as evidenced by the last 2 playoffs, the Habs are on the upswing and will be even better this next season, book it.

Yes the Habs did outplay the Bruins at times in the playoffs!

Injuries(?) - literally every team has them - Bruins were missing Savard.

Thomas is as good as and arguably better than Price - Buins 'D' - as a unit is better and has more depth and toughness than the Habs 'D' unit.

Bruins forwards are much bigger, much stronger, much tougher and much, much better than Habs forwards.

Re: GF vs GA Differential (regular season) Bruins +51 - Habs +7 LOL!

Bruins team is beter cut out for the 4-series grind of playoff hockey than are the Habs.

Habs have no answer for the skill levels of: Bergeron, Kreici, Horton, Seguin, Marchand, Ryder (remember him? not only did he score against the HABS he made saves against the HABS) and of course Savard.

Habs have no answers to match the toughness and/or character of: Chara, Thornton, Marchand, Boychuck, McQuaid, Sidenberg, and Lucic.

The reality is....it took the winning experience of the 2011 playoffs for the BRUINS to discover how good of a team they really are (the acquisition of Horton and the emergence of Seguin didn't hurt their cause).

I doubt the Bruins will have any real problems with the HABS over the next 3-5 years or as long as Gauthier is GM!

And the HABS?

With PG at the helm they'll make minimum changes, get no bigger, better or tougher up front and the cycle of HABS mediocrity will continue to repeat itself as long as Geoff Molson can put 21,000 suckers into the Bell Centre seats!

And What if this is...as good as it gets (for the HABS)?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Price is A LOT more likely to be at .925 next year than Thomas at .940. Top goalies are usually in the .920's...CP did it with a decimated defense, if the defense is better he could have a worse year and have the same %.

If they play their cards right, Yemelin and co should not be expected to play key roles. If they force the coach to play them more than it's a bonus. Weber would be top 6 on most NHL teams, he's very smart at both ends and skates well.
I hope Emelin is as good as he's being hyped to be. If that's the case our blueline looks good.
Quote:
Players play more physical when they have somebody watching their back. That's why we need an enforcer and maybe another guy not afraid to drop the gloves that can play.
Bigger forwards would help too.

Old
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
In order to be a cup contender, Habs should do some kind of tournament like Joel Bouchard did during the lock-out: The McDonald Academy and actually offer to the finalists an invitation to the Habs training camp. =)

Also, habs should draft Andreij Stastny in late rounds from Vancouver Giants. The problem is that he's 20 years old. Besides having a sick last name, he was able to get 10G and 20A in 32GP. He's 6'4 , Weight: 215.

If he's 20 they can just sign him right now.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Bigger forwards would help too.
Our forwards were as big as Boston's.

Quote:
If he's 20 they can just sign him right now.
Nope, this draft would be his 3rd, he only becomes a FA if he gets passed over. He played as a 19 year old this past year.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:44 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post

Thomas is as good as and arguably better than Price - Buins 'D' - as a unit is better and has more depth and toughness than the Habs 'D' unit.

Bruins forwards are much bigger, much stronger, much tougher and much, much better than Habs forwards.

Bruins team is beter cut out for the 4-series grind of playoff hockey than are the Habs.

Habs have no answer for the skill levels of: Bergeron, Kreici, Horton, Seguin, Marchand, Ryder (remember him? not only did he score against the HABS he made saves against the HABS) and of course Savard.

Habs have no answers to match the toughness and/or character of: Chara, Thornton, Marchand, Boychuck, McQuaid, Sidenberg, and Lucic.

The reality is....it took the winning experience of the 2011 playoffs for the BRUINS to discover how good of a team they really are (the acquisition of Horton and the emergence of Seguin didn't hurt their cause).

I doubt the Bruins will have any real problems with the HABS over the next 3-5 years or as long as Gauthier is GM!

And the HABS?

With PG at the helm they'll make minimum changes, get no bigger, better or tougher up front and the cycle of HABS mediocrity will continue to repeat itself as long as Geoff Molson can put 21,000 suckers into the Bell Centre seats!

That a great and intelligent ,well thought out post.You'll get flamed for it,but as someone who has watched hockey for forty years,and played high school and some college,you couldn't be anymore right.

Quote:
They had about the same size team as the Habs. Vancouver was bigger and more skilled but they played soft for the most part. Torres was nowhere to be seen, Bieksa and Kesler were the only guys that played with an edge. Their defense is big but played soft and slow.

The biggest difference physically between Montreal and Boston is their big guys(Lucic Thornton Chara) play meaner than ours. Horton is as soft as butter, but plays cocky after the whistle compared to his powder puff days in Florida. In terms of using their size Gill isn't a huge hitter, but he uses his size and strength to neutralize guys like Lucic Thornton Ovechkin Malkin etc so saying he "doesn't use his size" is false. I'd like to see him be a bit chippier though like Chara is with his stick.

We could definitely use a Hordichuk or Rupp to be our Thornton. Plus maybe an O'brien or Vandermeer on defense to help out Yemelin in the physical game.
Torres flattened more people this series than anyone on either team.I'd take him over most of our creampuff forwards anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Cammalleri-Plekanec-XXXX
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
Pouliot-Desharnais-White
Darche

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber
Emelin

Price
Whoever

That team has mediocrity written all over it.We can't get a top 6 winger.We don't have assets to acquire one.We only have a couple of roster spots open,anyways.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post

And the HABS?

Hang on. Are you trying to say that we aren't a "healthy Markov" away from being a serious contender? Seriously.

Good post - I agree with most of your points.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Our forwards were as big as Boston's.
No. Not the top forwards. The guys who actually get ice time like Lucic, Horton, Bergeron and Krejic are much bigger (and tougher) than our top six lineup of smurfs. Meanwhile our biggest forward (Poulliot) was so great that he rode the bench for the final games of the series. Our top four (the other two top spots were rotated all over the place) has one guy who's 6 feet tall and he's certainly not as physical as the Boston guys are.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Patty Roy

I don't know about winning the cup...but i believe this team could be very competitive next season if things come together.

Trades:

Benoit Pouliot and Tom Pyatt traded for draft pick(s)
Jaroslav Spacek to Edmonton for Sheldon Souray**
**Souray to be assigned to Hamilton

Signings Before July 1st:

Andrei Markov 2 years - $5.75 per season
James Wisniewski 4 years - $4.5 per season
Alex Auld 1 year - $1 million

UFA period:

Brooks Laich 4 years - $4.25 per season
Maxime Talbot 3 years - $1.5 per season
Steve MacIntyre 1 year - $600k

Re-sign RFAs:

Josh Gorges 4 years - $2.5 per season
David Desharnais 1 year - $600k
Max Pacioretty 1 year - $900k
Ryan White 1 year - $500k
Yannick Weber 1 year - $500k

Mike Cammalleri-Tomas Plekanec-Brooks Laich
Max Pacioretty-Scott Gomez-Brian Gionta
David Desharnais-Lars Eller-Andrei Kostitsyn
Travis Moen-Maxime Talbot-Ryan White
ex. Mathieu Darche, Steve MacIntyre

Andrei Markov-Alexei Yemelin
Josh Gorges-PK Subban
Hal Gill-James Wisniewski
ex. Yannick Weber

Carey Price
Alex Auld

Assuming a $62.2 cap, we would still be left with $2+ million that i suggest we hold onto for an acquisition at the trade deadline.

Even with this line-up there are still plenty of questionmarks. However i think we would be positioning ourselves to take the next step and be a top 4-5 team in the Conference.

Once the playoffs start, anything can happen.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SO again, I'll ask:

How do we get better at center in terms of faceoffs? Our current players are barely 50%. Only Halpern was above that average.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Hang on. Are you trying to say that we aren't a "healthy Markov" away from being a serious contender? Seriously.

Good post - I agree with most of your points.
What has Markov ever done in the playoffs,and what have we won with him ? Talk about overrating players. He's top10-15 REGULAR season d-man,but has never even been nominated as a Norris finalist.If we sign him,I see him getting the same "ailments" when we play the B's,that he got last year vs. the Flyers

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote