HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boston-Montreal Game 4: The turning point for all of it

Old
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Chris Nilan

vCash: 500
Boston-Montreal Game 4: The turning point for all of it

In the hope of countering the lack of insight that fills this board, I think it necessary to point out that there has been far too little analysis done regarding the complete and utter waste that was game four of the Montreal-Boston series.

Montreal has a 3-1 lead and blows it. Advantages to Montreal: hits, takeaways, time of possession, shots on goal, scoring chances, etc. Basically it was a total domination except for the fact that Boston was able to bury the meagre chances they had and Thomas was standing on his head while Price was doing his best Roberto Luongo impersonation.

A win in this game gives a 3-1 series lead and its over. Tell me, experts and future General Managers, why has this game not been given enough analysis as the actual turning point of the entire playoffs, and how precisely does this fit the "Montreal isn't big enough" argument put forth by those who, like HNIC and Leafs fans, need to have roster charts to read to them so they can pronounce their incessant statements of the obvious ?

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Stradale

Leading 3-1 does not necessarily mean the series is over.

Anyways, its time to look forward not back.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I appreciate the effort, but two months from now the narrative from the usual suspects will be about how the Bruins pounded the Habs into submission using their size, grit, and Canadianism.

I still remember the ass-backwards revisionist history of the Flyers series in 2008.

As for turning point of the playoffs? A little dramatic. A lot of different series had different moments that could have seen the other team win and change the whole complexion of this post-season.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I appreciate the effort, but two months from now the narrative from the usual suspects will be about how the Bruins pounded the Habs into submission using their size, grit, and Canadianism.

I still remember the ass-backwards revisionist history of the Flyers series in 2008.

As for turning point of the playoffs? A little dramatic. A lot of different series had different moments that could have seen the other team win and change the whole complexion of this post-season.
Wrong. It was Boston's most important win these playoffs. You're not getting it. I like you guys, and this is a really good board. But The OP is right. Game 4 aginast Habs was monumental. I've said it before also.

I believe what the OP is saying is not the the Habs would have gone on to win the cup, but that Boston would not have, had we won that game.

That is very likely true.

3-1 in the game, and 3-1 in the series had they won? Come on, Habs had a very good chance to finish it.

That was a monumental fail by the Habs, one of the worst I've ever seen.

OP is right, that was when the Bruins were hanging by the thinnest of threads, and we let them back in it.

And now they've won the cup.

Legitimate post. Stop being so knee jerk and think about it.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
BLONG7

It may have been the turning point, that being said, the Habs can play with the Bruins, no doubt.

We beat them 4 out of 6 during the season, they beat us 4 out of 7 in the playoffs, 3 of their wins were in OT. They were deserving of their win in the playoffs over us...swept Philly, and took out Tampa in 7, and the Nucks in 7.....kudos to the Bruins, and hopefully the Habs can feed off of this as their motivation for next year...

The Habs are alot closer to the Bruins than some give the Habs credit for....

Ok, now the draft, and then UFA's...let's go!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Wrong. It was Boston's most important win these playoffs. You're not getting it. I like you guys, and this is a really good board. But The OP is right. Game 4 aginast Habs was monumental. I've said it before also.

I believe what the OP is saying is not the the Habs would have gone on to win the cup, but that Boston would not have, had we won that game.

That is very likely true.

3-1 in the game, and 3-1 in the series had they won? Come on, Habs had a very good chance to finish it.

That was a monumental fail by the Habs, one of the worst I've ever seen.

OP is right, that was when the Bruins were hanging by the thinnest of threads, and we let them back in it.

And now they've won the cup.

Legitimate post. Stop being so knee jerk and think about it.
My suggestion to sit back and look at all the crazy little things that could have changed the entire complexion of the playoffs is a knee jerk reaction?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
The Goalie Mask

I agree, game 4 was the turning point.

Habs had the opportunity to put the nail in the coffin but they choked.

Questions is...why?...what were they missing?

My answers would be:

-Coach's game plan with leads was flawed...instead of being so defensively oriented we should of kept the pressure on the Bruins by keeping the puck in their end with stronger offense game plan
- Missing Patches...he would of made a difference with all does overtime games
- Gauthier miss fired by not adding offense depth at the trade deadline
- Injuries and missing Markov & Gorge

Needless to say our team is going in the right direction with the core and young prospects.

Gauthier needs to get on with it, and sign Markov, Gorge, Wiz & Jagr. Find top 9 depth and move Spacek.

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
JackZap

I also remember game 3 when Gomez coldnt score with the puck on the goalline. Guy couldnt score in a brothel

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goalie Mask View Post

A bounce. A deflection goal. Burying one overtime chance among the many. A bit of effing luck.

Some health would also have been nice.

Fortunately and unfortunately, that's all there is to it. The Habs outplayed Boston and the Bruins won anyway. It happens, no matter how good a team gets.

Yes, the Habs should absolutely try to get better and accumulate as many good players as they can get their hands on, but ultimately, if you're not getting the bounces and the other team is, you will lose.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
bsl

Quote:
My suggestion to sit back and look at all the crazy little things that could have changed the entire complexion of the playoffs is a knee jerk reaction?
Come on man it's not personal, and you are correct, there were many other huge moments for the Bruins in the playoffs.

But
1: I'm having fun adding a little drama.
2. I do believe that was the Bruins key game and
3. I'm ****ing pissed about that loss. It was ****ing harsh man. I'm not a JM or anyone else hater but I am severely pissed at JM for that loss.

We had the chance, not to win the cup, though you never know, but to put the knife in the Bruins in revenge for Max, and we did not.

JM did NOT perform that night. That's when they needed him most. That game, that moment. Calm things down. Inject some humour. COACH them to the win.

That's how I see it. And though I think he's a good coach, I will never trust or really respect JM because of THAT game. End of. And why should I, when I saw Bowman pull them through much tougher spots again and again?

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
optimus2861

Fully agree with the OP, except that I don't pin the loss on Price. The team in front of him switched from "skate rings around the Bruins" mode to "kitty bar the door" mode the moment they got up 3-1. The Canadiens tend to be bad bordering on awful when they try that, and right on cue, they handed the game & series right back to the B's on a platter.

Boston had the guts this year. Down 2-0 twice, winning 3 game 7's. That's clutch. I'll never know how the hell a Julien coached team ever managed that.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM
One Trick Pony

Yeah because Boston would have NEVER won 3 games in a row against Montreal. OH WAIT....

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:25 PM
The Russian General
#CanadaAndRefsTeam

I'm still pissed and disgusted about that game. You can't choke a lead like that in the playoffs. The reason nobody talks about that game is because it went to 7 games and Habs were centimeters away from sending the Bs golfing.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:31 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

My answers would be:

-Coach's game plan with leads was flawed...instead of being so defensively oriented we should of kept the pressure on the Bruins by keeping the puck in their end with stronger offense game plan.
Stopping there.

Did you even watch that game??

The turning point was the second Boston goal and it came because the Habs were TOO AGGRESSIVE and pinched unwisely/badly.

But just like there are those who say "they are too small" as a response to any event, there are those who cry "they play too passively" at any time.

By the way, do you realize that the Habs held onto all of their other leads in that series using a slightly conservative but effective style? They still had plenty of shots and chances, about even with Boston over the 7 games.

You can't expect the Habs' defence to pinch like Vancouver's, they are slower than the Canucks. Besides, how did Vancouver's strategy work out over the 7 games compared to Montreal's? Who gave up a ton more goals, and also scored less?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Another what if thread?

Dear God.............

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

What if we didn't have those topics?

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:

My answers would be:

-Coach's game plan with leads was flawed...instead of being so defensively oriented we should of kept the pressure on the Bruins by keeping the puck in their end with stronger offense game plan
- Missing Patches...he would of made a difference with all does overtime games
- Gauthier miss fired by not adding offense depth at the trade deadline
- Injuries and missing Markov & Gorge

Needless to say our team is going in the right direction with the core and young prospects.

Gauthier needs to get on with it, and sign Markov, Gorge, Wiz & Jagr. Find top 9 depth and move Spacek.

I wouldn't say he miss fired. Gauthier Knew that with the injuries to Markov, Jorges and Patches that we weren't within range this year. He's saving his shot for next year when we're healthy. He said it best himself. "I feel like a guy who save's all year for his vacation and then has to spend it to patch up a roof." He was fully commited to bolstering up had we had we been healthy, and trust me, next year, when we're leading the division he will. He understands the concept of taking advantage of having high profile players with low salaries, (PK, Patches, Price, eller), so that there is cap space to become even more bolstered. He reffered to the way that Chicago did it last year. And boston with marchand, and company did it this year. He knows what has to be done. We will have a very good shot next year. Our best since 93.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Max Levine

Series was so close, we could come up with many turning points. Cammalleri with an empty net in OT snapping the puck into Chara's skates (I believe in game 5); Gomez unable to push the puck a few inches away from the goal line in game 3 to tie the game and send it into OT; Halpern being taken off the face-off and then deflecting Horton's OT winner in game 7.

Habs had a chance to come back down three goals in game 3 but failed. Bruins came back down two goals in game 4 and won it.

Seeing the Bruins winning three games in OT against us reminded me of Habs OT winning streak in '93. They were blessed. So were the Bruins.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:19 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Stopping there.

Did you even watch that game??

The turning point was the second Boston goal and it came because the Habs were TOO AGGRESSIVE and pinched unwisely/badly.

But just like there are those who say "they are too small" as a response to any event, there are those who cry "they play too passively" at any time.

By the way, do you realize that the Habs held onto all of their other leads in that series using a slightly conservative but effective style? They still had plenty of shots and chances, about even with Boston over the 7 games.

You can't expect the Habs' defence to pinch like Vancouver's, they are slower than the Canucks. Besides, how did Vancouver's strategy work out over the 7 games compared to Montreal's? Who gave up a ton more goals, and also scored less?
Of course I watched the painful game.

You don't have to always pinch to keep the puck in the other teams end..puck possesion will do it as well and that's what management has been preaching our team is about.

Having the puck in our end most of the game without controlling it will eventually lead to goals ....which it did!....Martin needs to stop being so one dimentional with his game strategy....he's been using the same approach for the last 2 years and teams have adjusted to our one dimentional style....it's time for him to add some new strategies to compliment our defensive approach.

Last edited by The Goalie Mask: 06-16-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old
06-16-2011, 01:31 PM
The Goalie Mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
I wouldn't say he miss fired. Gauthier Knew that with the injuries to Markov, Jorges and Patches that we weren't within range this year. He's saving his shot for next year when we're healthy. He said it best himself. "I feel like a guy who save's all year for his vacation and then has to spend it to patch up a roof." He was fully commited to bolstering up had we had we been healthy, and trust me, next year, when we're leading the division he will. He understands the concept of taking advantage of having high profile players with low salaries, (PK, Patches, Price, eller), so that there is cap space to become even more bolstered. He reffered to the way that Chicago did it last year. And boston with marchand, and company did it this year. He knows what has to be done. We will have a very good shot next year. Our best since 93.
I agree with you that we will have a good shot next year if the right pieces are added.

But Gauthier still should of added some offensive depth at the trading deadline...we were offensively challenged all year....even getting Kovalev would of helped!

Old
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
pine
irregistered user

What if Martin had not sent out the Max Pac line in the final moments of the 2nd period of that BOS-MTL game... ?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:

You don't have to always pinch to keep the puck in the other teams end..puck possesion will do it as well and that's what management has been preaching our team is about.

Having the puck in our end most of the game without controlling it will eventually lead to goals ....which it did!....Martin needs to stop being so one dimentional with his game strategy....he's been using the same approach for the last 2 years and teams have adjusted to our one dimentional style....it's time for him to add some new strategies to compliment our defensive approach.
He's actually used the same approach for 15 yrs.hence a 50-61 playoff record. He blew game 4,after the Boston timeout,he went conservative.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

What games were you watching? Boston did not control the puck in our end most of the time. We were the better team in that series, we simply didn't get the bounces. Same thing can be said about TB.

Blaming Martin is very idiotic. We had no business even competing considering we had one working line. The Gomez line were atrocious defensively. If they were a little more careful and effective defensively, like Martin preaches, we probably would have won that series.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
He's actually used the same approach for 15 yrs.hence a 50-61 playoff record. He blew game 4,after the Boston timeout,he went conservative.
Ya...sure...that's why....

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:

Pax:fractured neck
Eller.shoulder surgery
Desharnais:knee surgery
Halpern: K.o'd by Ference
Spacek.K.o'd into the boards by Lucic.
So they didn't pound us into submission? I didn't even count the infamous 'boston beatdown". How many of their guys did we hurt,even a little? It makes me sick to say it,but we were Boston's biatches this year,and it's 100% BG,PG and JM's fault

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote