HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What sort of Gaborik will we be getting next season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
  #1
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP
 
poeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,587
vCash: 500
What sort of Gaborik will we be getting next season?

Something similar to his year in 2009 with us

or

Something similar to last season



I am afraid that his skills are diminishing him...He too is in the mold of a soft player

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
  #2
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,945
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
This is contingent on:

a) Gaborik's drive
b) His injuries

That's it. I was going to include "c) his linemates" but scratched that because he's flourished offensively with players that aren't exactly superstars. To presume his skills are diminishing is silly, he's had one "off" season, when you boil it all down. I'm *hoping* for something similar to what we saw in his first season.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
  #3
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Berry Crunch View Post
This is contingent on:

a) Gaborik's drive
b) His injuries

That's it. I was going to include "c) his linemates" but scratched that because he's flourished offensively with players that aren't exactly superstars. To presume his skills are diminishing is silly, he's had one "off" season, when you boil it all down. I'm *hoping* for something similar to what we saw in his first season.
I think it's entirely dependent on his linemates, because his linemates will determine, more importantly than anything, his health, and his drive.

When Gaborik carries the puck through the neutral zone and over the blueline, that is an invitation for people to hit him. Gaborik should not be touching the puck until it's time for him to shoot the puck. The less Gaborik touches the puck, the less punishment he will endure.

The better the chances Gaborik is getting, the more driven he will become.

He has flourished without a great passer before, but there's no doubt that it will be easier to do so again with an elite playmaker.

This thread is kind of pointless until we know whether or not we have Richards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:32 PM
  #4
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I think it's entirely dependent on his linemates, because his linemates will determine, more importantly than anything, his health, and his drive.

When Gaborik carries the puck through the neutral zone and over the blueline, that is an invitation for people to hit him. Gaborik should not be touching the puck until it's time for him to shoot the puck. The less Gaborik touches the puck, the less punishment he will endure.

The better the chances Gaborik is getting, the more driven he will become.

He has flourished without a great passer before, but there's no doubt that it will be easier to do so again with an elite playmaker.

This thread is kind of pointless until we know whether or not we have Richards.
Agreed...Gaborik needs a center to get him the puck. Someone that can create plays, and let him finish.

Gaborik with Richards...35-40 goals 80pt season

Gaborik with Prospal, or Stepan 20-30 goals 55pt season.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:45 PM
  #5
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Hopefully one that plays with passion and intensity.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:52 PM
  #6
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Hopefully one that plays with passion and intensity.
This multiplied by one billion.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
  #7
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,117
vCash: 300
I can't answer this until I know who will be centering his line.

There will be a lot of things that factor into Gaborik's production next season -- the powerplay, and who centers his line are obviously the biggest factors. With Stepan/Prospal/Christensen centering his line, 30G/65P. Richards/Real #1, 40G/85P.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
  #8
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
hopefully he is healthy...he claims he was healthy but his shot wasn't the same after the shoulder injury (like jagr)

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 01:59 PM
  #9
ogie
Registered User
 
ogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
which Gaborik we get depends on which player is his centre come fall.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
  #10
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
It all depends on 2 things his health and more importantly his effort. If he's going to float around out there and not try then you will get what we saw this past season. If he applies himself more you will get year one.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:08 PM
  #11
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,018
vCash: 500
Yea I agree that we will know which Gaborik we will get after we find out his center.

His future center will also determine his future health imo.

If we get someone like Richards or Stastny then Gaborik won't have to attempt to carry the team and will probably be less prone to injuries.

I think with Richards or Stastny, or someone of their ilk, he can get back to 85 points, otherwise I think he will be in the 60 range.

I think he will come out motivated next year.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
  #12
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 1187
I personally think we will see the return of the 09 Gaborik. I think he is going to come into next season with the hunger to prove that he is still the same player. The same motivation he came in with in 09, when he wanted to prove that he was as good after his 17 game season the year before.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:21 PM
  #13
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Disgusted.
Are you kidding me about naming a maryanne captain? Why would you even consider him for captaincy when he has zero leadership skills, floats around on the perimeter, refuses to get his hands dirty and when he isn't scoring goals(which is often) he is practically invisible? Players who are considered for the captaincy of a team are born leaders, sacrifice themselves for the good of the team and play hard all the time. Perhaps maryanne can be a captain in his next life.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:29 PM
  #14
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I personally think we will see the return of the 09 Gaborik. I think he is going to come into next season with the hunger to prove that he is still the same player. The same motivation he came in with in 09, when he wanted to prove that he was as good after his 17 game season the year before.
You better hope and pray that is the maryanne we get this year and not the "invisible man" we had last year. If you watched the stanley cup playoffs this season, you would know what type of players, type of sacrifice and commitment it takes to win a cup. If messier were the gm running the rangers, maryanne is exactly the kind of player that mess would look to trade.
off the team.

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:32 PM
  #15
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner
 
That Stepan Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
Scoring one I hope.

If Richards signs I can see him boosting his production. Same with any other elite center.

We'll just have to see though.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:32 PM
  #16
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Are you kidding me about naming a maryanne captain? Why would you even consider him for captaincy when he has zero leadership skills, floats around on the perimeter, refuses to get his hands dirty and when he isn't scoring goals(which is often) he is practically invisible? Players who are considered for the captaincy of a team are born leaders, sacrifice themselves for the good of the team and play hard all the time. Perhaps maryanne can be a captain in his next life.
I was trying to be sarcastic, ok?

I'd trade Gaborik for a 7th rounder. #spendbetter

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:38 PM
  #17
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 659
I think he'll be a strong offensive contributor, October through February.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:42 PM
  #18
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 815
vCash: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
You better hope and pray that is the maryanne we get this year and not the "invisible man" we had last year. If you watched the stanley cup playoffs this season, you would know what type of players, type of sacrifice and commitment it takes to win a cup. If messier were the gm running the rangers, maryanne is exactly the kind of player that mess would look to trade.
off the team.
First off, you have no idea what Mess would do. Second he was making hits, taking hits, and doing a lot of good things in 09. 1 bad year doesn't make a player. I think people have to much of a short term memory, in the way that what happened last year was the way hes always been. And personally I don't care if he floats around or doesn't play d, because his job is to score goals. As long as he does that I'm happy. As you can tell from watching this years stanley cup finals, if you can't put the puck in the net, you can't win.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:44 PM
  #19
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,602
vCash: 500
If whatever center is on his line can get him the puck at the circles, 45 goal form again.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:48 PM
  #20
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
42-44-86 with Prospal / Dubi / Christensen...

Only then he was uninjured (well, before the laceration) and confident.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:55 PM
  #21
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
  #22
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 500
"Will Gaborik be a Ranger?" is a more appropriate question.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
  #23
RangerBlues
Registered User
 
RangerBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BRONX NYC
Posts: 1,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
"Will Gaborik be a Ranger?" is a more appropriate question.
Wonder if Boston would take him for the 9th pick?

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:23 PM
  #24
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,602
vCash: 500
They would, and then they'd run with it and laugh.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 08:26 PM
  #25
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,990
vCash: 500
40 goal / 40 assist guy we've seen in 09/10 season.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.