HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2011-2012 Caps Lineup Is...???

Old
05-12-2011, 10:08 PM
DCRedhawk21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
I think McPhee is hoping for the following:

1) Caps continue to thrive during the regular season -- they have a good regular season team, after all, and play in the cupcake Southeast which almost guarantees them a playoff spot year in and year out. This means they continue to draw large crowds both in the arena and on in TV.

2) They somehow win the Cup as a darkhorse during the Ovechkin era. If they make the playoffs on a consistent basis, chances are they will go on a tear once or twice. Its happened plenty of times in this sport -- look at the Flyers last year, a green Pittsburgh team winning the Cup the year before that.

This is the McPhee and Leonsis master plan -- have a team that consistently makes the playoffs, and hope for lightning in a bottle at some point.

I get this feeing too. That there going to keep as much of the roster together as possible and eventually hope the stars align. Although they did address the teams seemingly biggest need last and add a 2C and veteran leader along with a SAH defenseman, so maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:41 PM
txpd

we dont talk about it much but arnott was injured and was not very effective in the playoffs. he brought next to nothing vs the lightning. i remember the pass on the ov goal with the goalie pulled, but he was not moving very well.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Hayden
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I remember that deal real well. Philly got fleeced bad on that deal and Ouellet didn't pan out, but that happens. That was a lot of stuff to give up for a really old veteran. Philly was paying for the name/reputation of Oates at that point. Ouellet was a highly touted goalie prospect too, if I recall he was number one prospect on Hockey's Futures then.
That was a great deal for the Caps, at the time. It's too bad Ouellet didn't work out. That said, I could see Philly willing to trade to get a goalie. Maybe this time we can send them a goalie for a center.

Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
This is the McPhee and Leonsis master plan -- have a team that consistently makes the playoffs, and hope for lightning in a bottle at some point.
In other words, the Indianapolis Colts of the NHL.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
EroCaps

Is....Irrelevant.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Semin

Just an outsider curiosity question. Outside of the Sabres, the Caps and Canucks are my favorite teams.

I don't get the desire to move Semin out. I know he had a rough series to end last years playoffs, but so did most / all of the team.

This year regular season he was 2nd on the team in goals and 3rd in points and +/-.
This years playoffs he had the same standings: 2nd in goals, 3rd in points and +/-.

From the games I watched he was back checking much better, using his speed to break up plays, his passing has been very good, and his shot is still lethal.

So why the desire to move what seems like a top player on the team.

I understand you need to give to get, but it would seem like the best you can hope for would be a lateral move (high end talent out for high end talent in).

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Just an outsider curiosity question. Outside of the Sabres, the Caps and Canucks are my favorite teams.

I don't get the desire to move Semin out. I know he had a rough series to end last years playoffs, but so did most / all of the team.

This year regular season he was 2nd on the team in goals and 3rd in points and +/-.
This years playoffs he had the same standings: 2nd in goals, 3rd in points and +/-.

From the games I watched he was back checking much better, using his speed to break up plays, his passing has been very good, and his shot is still lethal.

I understand you need to give to get, but it would seem like the best you can hope for would be a lateral move (high end talent out for high end talent in).
Some people just hate the dude. Simple as that.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Some people are realists.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:43 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Just $6.7 million for 60 games or so in the most important position in all of hockey: second line right wing. A bargain that we'd be fools to even consider moving.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:

I personally don't think he should moved, but I can see why some people think that way:

- He hasn't played a full 82 games in recent years
- Although IMO it's gotten a lot better and is probably overblown, but he still is prone to take shifts off
- He goes through cold streaks. Every player does, but Semin's can be looooong
- The contract issue: he eats up a lot of cap space and doesn't have a long term deal. I don't necessarily think this is because he wants to leave DC (otherwise why even sign the 1-year extension, I think it's more he and his agent want to see the next CBA)

In short, he has tremendous talent, but doesn't always play up to it. It can be kind of irritating as a fan to see him settle to be good when his talent level is so incredible.

Old
06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Just $6.7 million for 60 games or so in the most important position in all of hockey: second line right wing. A bargain that we'd be fools to even consider moving.
Was this sarcastic? If it wasn't, when did 2nd line RW become the most important position in all of hockey?

Love him or hate him, at 6.7 per there is nothing about Semin that is a bargain.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
And some people love toads despite their ugly warts.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
Was this sarcastic?
BCF hates Semin so of course it was sarcastic. Spend some time here and get to know us...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

He's absolutely become a much more well rounded player. There are several issues that lead to him taking constant heat around here...

1. Injuries
2. Disappears for handfuls of games at a time
3. Braindead penalties
4. After all these years in DC, still refuses to speak English to the press.
5. Lack of a longterm deal.

$6.7 mil for a guy with that kind of baggage isn't ideal.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:20 PM
chrjosric

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)
Ville Leino ($2.800m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($1.400m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Cody Eakin /($0.637m) / Chad Larose ($1.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
John Carlson ($0.845m) / Karl Alzner ($2.675m)
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Scott Hannan ($3.250m)
Dennis Wideman ($3.937m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,722,350; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,677,649

Out:
Semin
Bradley
Gordon
Varlomov
Fehr
Laich
Poti
Shultz
Sloan

In:
Doan
Leino
Hanzal
Clutterbuck
Larose
Eakin
Kaberle

I know this will probably never happen but if i was GMGM my thinking here would be to get as much for the players who i believe should be traded. While adding players that would seem to be what we lacked in the playoff and are signed to good contracts.

might be completely off but..

Semin for Clutterbuck.
Fehr Varlomov Perreault for Doan and Hanzal.
trade rights to Laich for prospects/ picks.
trade/get rid of for any value if possible Poti and Shultz.
Sign Leino Larose and Kaberle. + possibly a few other
(Kaberle will bring a left handed offensive d + pp to complement green. Also it would provide insurance if green doesnt prove himself next season and you could get value out of one of them.)

chrjosric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrjosric View Post
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Alexander Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)
Ville Leino ($2.800m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m) / Mike Knuble ($2.000m)
Jason Chimera ($1.875m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($1.400m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Cody Eakin /($0.637m) / Chad Larose ($1.700m)

DEFENSEMEN
John Carlson ($0.845m) / Karl Alzner ($2.675m)
Mike Green ($5.250m) / Scott Hannan ($3.250m)
Dennis Wideman ($3.937m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m) / Braden Holtby ($0.637m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,722,350; BONUSES: $160,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,677,649

Out:
Semin
Bradley
Gordon
Varlomov
Fehr
Laich
Poti
Shultz
Sloan

In:
Doan
Leino
Hanzal
Clutterbuck
Larose
Eakin
Kaberle

I know this will probably never happen but if i was GMGM my thinking here would be to get as much for the players who i believe should be traded. While adding players that would seem to be what we lacked in the playoff and are signed to good contracts.

might be completely off but..

Semin for Clutterbuck.
Fehr Varlomov Perreault for Doan and Hanzal.
trade rights to Laich for prospects/ picks.
trade/get rid of for any value if possible Poti and Shultz.
Sign Leino Larose and Kaberle. + possibly a few other
(Kaberle will bring a left handed offensive d + pp to complement green. Also it would provide insurance if green doesnt prove himself next season and you could get value out of one of them.)

I can't comment on how realistic this roster is, but I will say I like that third line of forwards you've dreamed up.

Old
06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I think McPhee is hoping for the following:

1) Caps continue to thrive during the regular season -- they have a good regular season team, after all, and play in the cupcake Southeast which almost guarantees them a playoff spot year in and year out. This means they continue to draw large crowds both in the arena and on in TV.

2) They somehow win the Cup as a darkhorse during the Ovechkin era. If they make the playoffs on a consistent basis, chances are they will go on a tear once or twice. Its happened plenty of times in this sport -- look at the Flyers last year, a green Pittsburgh team winning the Cup the year before that.

Well, the shareholders are happy. Maximize that profit, Teddy. It's easy to justify staying the course when you're selling out buildings and put "happiness" and "success" on different planes of experience. Maybe the Caps will get lucky and win despite their leaders and Ted can write a book about how his Zen approach to hockey won them a championship and then sell it to his filmmaking studio in hopes it's the next "Moneyball".

Or is that crossing the rubicon of cynicism?

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote