HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Badger36

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Hey, Badger fans... can anyone who has seen a few UW games give me a scouting report on draft-eligible freshman Michael Mersch?

I'm told his skating needs a lot of work, but does he have the want-to, the drive necessary to do that work and become an NHL player (like David Backes did)?

How much ice time did he get as a freshman, and what do the Badger coaches think about him and his future potential?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Links to news articles and/or scouting reports would be greatly appreciated.
Mersch is good player who skates hard and has a good shot. I dont think I could say that his skating needs, "a lot" of work but at this point he would need some time to grow into being an NHL player. He wouldnt have been a Badger if his skating was THAT bad.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...060711aac.html
Quote:
The Wisconsin men's hockey program today announced its 34-game schedule for the 2011-12 season. Twelve games against NCAA participants from last season highlight the slate.

Included in that group are home series against North Dakota, Denver, Nebraska Omaha and 2011 NCAA champion Minnesota Duluth. The Badgers also play host to a home series against Minnesota and a New Year's Eve exhibition contest against the U.S. Under-18 Team.
Looks like a great schedule with some great home games and the exhibiton match with the USA U-18 squad should be interesting. I usually spend New Year's in NE Wisconsin with family but Im tempted to blow that off this year and spend New Year's in Madison instead. Starting the night off going to the Badger game and then going out drinking on State Street would be a pretty awesome way to spend New Year's.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...060811aaa.html
Quote:
The awards keep piling up for women's hockey standout Meghan Duggan, as the Badger forward will be awarded the Bob Allen Women's Player of the Year at the USA Hockey 2011 Annual Congress on Wednesday in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Duggan was named the 2011 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award recipient as the top player in women's college hockey, led the Badgers as team captain to the NCAA championship and earned a gold medal with the U.S. Women's National Team at the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation World Women's Championship in Switzerland.

En route to a fourth national championship for the Badgers, Duggan set a school single-season record with a national-best 87 points. She completed her four-year career at Wisconsin as the school's all-time leader in career points with 238, fifth most in NCAA history.

Old
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Badger36

Old
06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...061411aac.html
Quote:
The University of Wisconsin women's hockey program today announced its schedule for the upcoming 2011-12 season. Highlighting the nonconference portion of the schedule is a rematch of last season's national championship game as the Badgers will host Boston University at the Kohl Center on October 28-29.

As always, the 28-game Western Collegiate Hockey Association slate features some of the toughest competition in the nation, including arch-rivals Minnesota and Minnesota Duluth, along with North Dakota.
The key matchups for me are North Dakota October 8th and 9th, Minnesota October 14th and 16th, Minnesota Duluth October 21-22, BU October 28-29 and at Minnesota January 14th and 15th.

Old
06-16-2011, 04:04 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Mersch is good player who skates hard and has a good shot. I dont think I could say that his skating needs, "a lot" of work but at this point he would need some time to grow into being an NHL player. He wouldnt have been a Badger if his skating was THAT bad.
Remember Big John Mitchell, he of cement feet and hands? Mersch reminds me of Mitchell except he has better upside than Big John, and is a better skater. I doubt Mersch turns out like Backes, but then all of us are STILL scratching our heads that Davis Drewiske is an NHL regular.

Mersch will be a good power forward at the college level, I could see him being a 20G 20A guy by his junior year.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Remember Big John Mitchell, he of cement feet and hands? Mersch reminds me of Mitchell except he has better upside than Big John, and is a better skater. I doubt Mersch turns out like Backes, but then all of us are STILL scratching our heads that Davis Drewiske is an NHL regular.

Mersch will be a good power forward at the college level, I could see him being a 20G 20A guy by his junior year.
Thanks for the background info, folks.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...062111aab.html
Quote:
Wisconsin women’s hockey assistant coach Tracey DeKeyser has resigned her position, head coach Mark Johnson announced on Tuesday. DeKeyser has been with the program since its inception in 1998-99, including serving as the interim head coach in 2009-10.

“Stepping down from coaching at Wisconsin was not an easy decision, considering I've spent nearly my entire professional career as a Badger Hockey coach,” DeKeyser said. “Although I am looking forward to a change in routine and learning new life skills, I hope to stay connected to the university and the athletic department in some capacity.”
Best of luck to her in her new endeavors but I personally wont miss her. When Johnson took off to coach the womens' olympic team and DeKeyser filled in for him, the Badgers struggled and didnt even make the playoffs.
This year, with Johnson back, the Badgers dominated and won the NCAA championship. That should say all that needs to be said about DeKeyser's coaching abilities.

Old
06-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/2011/0...johnson-1.html
Quote:
One of the most prolific goal-scorers in college hockey history got credit for a "save'' Monday when Mark Johnson saved the Badgers from getting skunked on the Big Ten Network awards show.

Wisconsin had nominees in six different categories.

After guiding the UW women's hockey team to its fourth national championship in the last six seasons, the 53-year-old Johnson was honored as BTN's Women's Coach of the Year.

Johnson beat out Michigan softball coach Carol Hutchins and Penn State basketball coach Coquese Washington. In collecting 37 wins overall - an NCAA record -- the Badgers finished the 2010-11 season on a 27-game unbeaten streak. Johnson is now 14-2 all-time in the NCAA tournament.

"We never lost a game from Thanksgiving on and that really impresses me about this group,'' Johnson said. "Especially when you think about being ranked No. 1 (for 12 straight weeks, Jan. 3 to March 21) and having that bullseye on your back every game.

"It was an incredible run.''

Old
06-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...062511aaa.html
Quote:
One current and three incoming Badgers earned selection on Saturday at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, which was held at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minn. Wisconsin's four selected student-athletes were split among the fourth and seventh rounds of the draft.

Joseph LaBate went highest, going 101st to the Stanley Cup runner-up Vancouver Canucks. The fourth-round pick arrives this fall in Madison from Academy of Holy Angels in Minnesota. An Eagan, Minn., native, the 6-4 forward was one of 10 finalists for the 2011 Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award. He posted 27 goals and 49 points in 25 games this past season.
Just nine picks later, sophomore forward Michael Mersch went 110th to the Los Angeles Kings. A Park Ridge, Ill., native and a product of the U.S. National Team Development Program, he scored eight goals and 19 points in 41 games at Wisconsin last season.
The second two Badgers selected came eight picks apart in the seventh round as defenseman Patrick Daly and forward Brad Navin went 189th to the New Jersey Devils and 197th to the Buffalo Sabres, respectively.

Old
06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Badger36

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/section/uw-men-s-hockey
Quote:
University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves has done a lot of winning since returning to Madison to lead his alma mater. In nine seasons behind the Badger bench, Eaves has amassed a .573 winning percentage, one national championship in 2006, and a runner up finish in 2010. Unfortunately for the Badgers, the program may fall victim to it's own success. According too Tom Gulitti of the NorthJersey.com Fire & Ice blog, "There are whispers that Mike Eaves is possibly getting ready to leave the University of Wisconsin." Gulitti said two messages left for Eaves this week were not returned.

The job that Eaves would be leaving for is the head coaching opening for the NHL's New Jersey Devils. That job opened up when Jacques Lemaire retired in April for the 47th time. Eaves name has come up in the past when the Devils have been looking for a coach because of similar coaching philosophies between himself and Devils GM Lou Lamoriello.
I'll believe it when it happens but if it does, I will thank Eaves for all he has done the for UW and wish him the best.
Even if Eaves does leave, theres some very good coaches waiting for take over the mens' coaching job.

Old
06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Badger36

http://host.madison.com/sports/blog/...cc4c03286.html
Quote:
University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves dispelled two East Coast newspaper reports that he was being considered for the NHL opening at New Jersey.

Eaves said Monday he's had no contact with the Devils or any other NHL team about leaving his alma mater, where he's coached since 2002.
Id say we can put this little rumor to bed.

Old
07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...070611aab.html
Quote:
Former women's hockey assistant coach Dan Koch is returning to the University of Wisconsin, the team announced on Wednesday. Koch (pronounced Cook) will return and serve as associate head coach after spending the previous two seasons as the head coach for the Shattuck-St. Mary's Girls U16 squad.

"I'm excited to be back and I enjoyed my time with Mark [Johnson] prior to leaving and I'm looking forward to that relationship again," Koch said. "I think my time at Shattuck-St. Mary's made me a better coach. As a head coach, you spend a lot more time dealing with things not always associated with hockey and you get a better sense of running practices and getting the team ready for a weekend series."

Koch is familiar with the UW women's hockey program and Johnson's systems having spent eight seasons as an assistant coach. In 2001-02, Koch spent the latter half of his first season co-coaching the Badgers prior to the arrival of head coach Mark Johnson. In the seven seasons that followed, Koch helped Wisconsin claim its first three national championships.

Old
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Cool. He recruited my daughter to play at Shattuck but the scholarship money they offered wasn't enough for us to make it happen. Super nice guy.

Old
07-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Cool. He recruited my daughter to play at Shattuck but the scholarship money they offered wasn't enough for us to make it happen. Super nice guy.
Definetly a good coach and should be an asset to UW.

Old
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Definetly a good coach and should be an asset to UW.
Good coach for sure. I spent the week down there when he helped run hockey camp last summer when my daughter attended. Communicates well with the girls and kept the sessions at a good pace and very little standing around on the ice. He will be a head coach at some college down the line.

Old
07-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...071411aaa.html
Quote:
With two years of collegiate eligibility remaining for the Wisconsin Badgers, forward Craig Smith will become a professional hockey player. The Madison, Wis., native is a 2009 fourth-round pick (98th overall) of the NHL’s Nashville Predators, the team of former Badgers Ryan Suter and Blake Geoffrion.

“We’re excited for Craig,” said Head Coach Mike Eaves. “The window of opportunity to make a move like this is sometimes small. The landscape has changed with Nashville in that the team has changed somewhat with free agency. Smitty had every thought after a successful senior men’s World Championship to come back and play here at Wisconsin, but he feels like there is an opportunity now and he feels in his heart it is the right time to go.”
Huge loss for the Badgers. I wish Smith the best of luck in Nashville.

Old
07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
adsfan

Quote:
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...071411aaa.html

Huge loss for the Badgers. I wish Smith the best of luck in Nashville.
Or Milwaukee.

Old
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Or Milwaukee.
Milwaukee, Nashville. Same thing. No doubt he will spend at least a season playing in Milwaukee though.
I look forward to watching him play when the Ads play my beloved Icehogs.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...072511aab.html
Quote:
Four UW women's hockey players have been invited to Canada's National Women's Under-22/Development Team camp, Hockey Canada announced Friday.

Brittany Haverstock, Stefanie McKeough, Saige Pacholok are among 12 of the defensemen invited, while Carolyne Prévost is one of 24 forwards that will be attending the 40-person camp. Running from August 7-16, the camp takes place at the Canadian International Hockey Academy in Rockland, Ontario.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...072511aad.html
Quote:
Jim Snider is more of an advocate than a name-dropper. If he was the later, the ensuing narrative would read like a section out of the UW hockey media guide: "Badgers in the Pros.''

That's because a Who's Who of former UW skaters -- playing in the NHL -- return every summer to train under Snider, the strength and conditioning coach for men's and women's hockey at Wisconsin.

"I don't know if it's anything that I do,'' said Snider, 33, pointing to the drawing power of a facility like the Kohl Center, a school like the UW and a city like Madison, in no particular order.

Snider is generally uncomfortable taking any credit for helping shape and define the work ethic of athletes who make sacrifices on a daily basis. Modesty aside, he's very good at what he does.

Over the last few years, Snider has had numerous opportunities to move up to the NHL but he has held steadfast in his commitment to the Badgers.

That has led to a "connection" between Snider and UW players, past and present.

Old
07-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Badger36

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2011...gning-official
Quote:
It's been known for almost two weeks that Wisconsin junior forward Craig Smith would be forgoing his final two seasons of eligibility with the Badgers to sign with the Nashville Predators, who drafted him in the fourth round of the 2009 NHL Draft (98th overall). Today the Predators made it official announcing the signing of Smith to a two year contract.

Old
08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...080811aab.html
Quote:
A total of 79 players were invited to participate in the 2011 USA Hockey Women's National Festival, including nine current or former Wisconsin women's hockey players. The Festival will take place Aug. 10-20 at the Schwan Super Rink in Blaine, Minn.

Out of the 79 players, 51 will be vying for a spot on the 2011 U.S. Women's Select Team. Those 51 include current Badgers Brittany Ammerman, Brooke Ammerman, Brianna Decker, Alev Kelter, Hilary Knight and Madison Packer and former Badgers Meghan Duggan, Molly Engstrom and Jessie Vetter.

Those who make the Select Team will compete in the Eight Nations Tournament in Vierumäki, Finland, Aug. 24-31. The Festival additionally serves as the selection camp for the U.S Women's Under-18 Select Team that will take on Canada in a three-game series Aug. 18-21 in Rockland, Ontario.

Old
08-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...081911aab.html
Quote:
USA Hockey announced that five current or former University of Wisconsin women's hockey players were named to the U.S. Women's National Team that will compete in the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation Twelve Nations Invitational Tournament Series, Aug. 24-31, in Vierumäki, Finland.

Current senior Hilary Knight, junior Brianna Decker and former Badgers Meghan Duggan, Jessie Vetter and Molly Engstrom were named to the 22-player roster. Knight, Decker, Duggan, Vetter and Engstrom were all a part of the U.S. squad that captured gold at the 2011 IIHF Women's World Championships in April.

Old
09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...090111aad.html
Quote:
Former University of Wisconsin women's hockey player Meghan Duggan is one of 10 finalists for the 2011 Sportswoman of the Year, presented by the Women's Sports Foundation.

This prestigious award spans across all sports and all countries. If selected, Duggan would become just the second ice hockey player to win the award, after fellow UW women's hockey player Jessie Vetter won it in 2009.

Closed Thread