HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr to Detroit?

Old
06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
I honestly would consider Jagr but no chance he comes here with Torts as coach. You think Torts will allow Jagr to dog it like he does time to time?
We are wasting time with Torts. He gets under player skin and makes some play better once player is still POed. That's his method. He, therefore, needs to change the palyers in order to keep only those who are responsive to his "treatment". That makes a very narrow pool of possibilities. It took him 7 years to get somewhere in TB. No established elite players are likely to connect with him. Jagr definitely not since Torts is Milbury school kind of coach.

That's why I want Torts fired. Too bad that by the time it happens good players would go elsewhere.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
We are wasting time with Torts. He gets under player skin and makes some play better once player is still POed. That's his method. He, therefore, needs to change the palyers in order to keep only those who are responsive to his "treatment". That makes a very narrow pool of possibilities. It took him 7 years to get somewhere in TB. No established elite players are likely to connect with him. Jagr definitely not since Torts is Milbury school kind of coach.

That's why I want Torts fired. Too bad that by the time it happens good players would go elsewhere.
I think he needs to do what Tom Coughlin did with the Giants players. He was still a hard ass but he softened up a little and the players responded to it

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

It's a give and take. You concede that Torts is getting some players to play their best hockey (look at Callahan, Dubi, Staal, Girardi, etc), but his approach doesn't work with some players. Well if you want him fired, what about those players whose games have improved under Torts? Do you lose something there?

Tom Renney was probably the polar opposite of Torts in terms of coaching philosophy. Renney did not appear to be adversarial with the players and took more of the "good guy" approach. Worked well for players like Jagr, Avery, Rozsival etc, but you also were not getting great results from other players (Gomez, Redden, Ward, Kotalik, etc). Renney also ran his bench a lot differently than Torts does. Players did not fluctuate up and down the lines (in terms of playing time) when they were struggling, they pretty much were played the same amount regardless, and were seldom benched to be sent a message. I like that Torts challenges the players to be better and demands a lot out of them (especially in terms of work ethic and conditioning). I like that he is not afraid to bench a veteran player who deserves it, or demote a player who is playing poorly to a lower line and give him reduced minutes. I like having our players knowing that if they play well, regardless of whether they normally play on Line 1 or Line 4, they'll be rewarded with more playing time. I think that's an excellent motivator. I also like our players knowing that if they play poorly and struggle, they'll see reduced playing time or possibly the press box, that's a good motivator to continue playing hard. It creates a healthy competition among our line-up, especially among our forwards. Sure Torts probably has his favorite players on the roster, that's inevitable, but I love that veteran players with big contracts do not get special treatment from him. I love that he's extremely blunt when speaking about Gaborik and Drury's struggles to the media. No sugar-coating and painting a rosy picture.

I don't think you're going to find a coach who gets the most out of every single player on the roster. If you bring in a coach who's best for a player like Gaborik, what if he's not as effective at coaching other players on the roster and their play subsequently declines or takes a step back? Right now I'm seeing good results for a majority of the players on our roster, so the few odd players who are not responding well (Gabby this season, Avery for 2 seasons) are an exception and not the rule for me. That being said, these guys are professionals and should be able to find ways to perform whether or not they are on good terms with their head coach. Anyone who has ever worked multiple jobs knows that there's instances where you work for bosses you don't like, but when all is said and done, that should not restrict your ability to do your job and give 100%. And taking care of your 'business' out on the ice is a great way to keep your 'boss' off your back.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Torts did sort of pull a Coughlin this year, at least openly.

Everyone except Gaborik seems to love him, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:

Kids are doing amazing under torts. That would be the stupidest thing to do.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Jumbo*

Its on TSN now:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369160

Quote:
According to reports on MLive.com and the Detroit Free Press on Thursday, Jagr's agent Petr Svoboda has put out feelers to five NHL teams - the Red Wings, Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, New York Rangers and Montreal Canadiens - about the possibility of the future Hall of Famer signing on as a free agent.
Guess the title should be changed from Off Topic.

Old
06-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
I would LOVE to have jagr back on this team. I fully believe with a signed Jagr and B. Richards we can compete for the cup.. Buy out Wolski and Drury.

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Callahan Anisimov Jagr
Avery Stepan Grachev
Prust Boyle Feds/Hagelin

Staal Girardi
Mcd Sauer
Erixon MDZ

Lundqvist

I love it haha

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Interesting that TSN is carrying that rumor. However, I think Jagr is going to chase the $$$ and it's unlikely that he would return to the Rangers unless we were fielding the best payday for him. I think Glen liked Jagr but I could also see him acknowledging that the organization has "moved on". Jagr would be a 'game changer' as far as our PP is concerned though.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:10 PM
17futurecap

Love Jagr, but as others have said how would he and Torts work out?

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

If Renney was still here I'd consider us front runners, just can't see it with Torts now

Old
06-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

I can see Detroit and Pitt, would Washington welcome him back or is that bridge burned? I think Montreal is out too.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:17 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I highly doubt Jagr is coming back to the NHL.

I just don't see it happening. He'll find a team to stick on with the KHL.

Would love to have him back on the Rangers though, one of my all time favorites.

06-16-2011, 05:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

But why would Jagr have to worry about Torts? Torts does not ride players who do their job out on the ice. You don't see him screaming at Callahan or Prust and riding their backs... If Jagr wanted to return here because of the location and that he's comfortable with the organization and management, Torts should not be a deterrent IMHO.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But why would Jagr have to worry about Torts? Torts does not ride players who do their job out on the ice. You don't see him screaming at Callahan or Prust and riding their backs... If Jagr wanted to return here because of the location and that he's comfortable with the organization and management, Torts should not be a deterrent IMHO.
Exactly, and if Jagr didn't want to play here under Torts then he wouldnt have even bothered putting a feeler out to the Rangers.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Because Jagr is lazy at times and dogs it. Remember the Garden chanting Captain Shanny? How many bridges has this guy burned?

Old
06-16-2011, 05:24 PM
lbrowne

I actually think Jagr would do great with Torts' system.

I would LOVE to see him back for a year or two.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Its on TSN now:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369160

Guess the title should be changed from Off Topic.
Washington? No way...it's closed book there, no way JJ signs in WAS.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Because Jagr is lazy at times and dogs it. Remember the Garden chanting Captain Shanny? How many bridges has this guy burned?
...the Garden never chanted Captain Shanny when Jagr was there.

Jagr didnt dog it either in NY, maybe in WSH he did, but he was the furthest thing from a slacker for us.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:54 PM
NYRSchrute217

I don't know....he'd probably take over a spot that a kid like Grachev could possibly take advantage of if Jagr doesn't come back, but my nostalgia of 2006 Jagr makes me want him back. Obviously he's a much different player now, but he's still playing at a good 2nd line level, and has a ton of chemistry with Dubinsky. Signing Jagr could give us a nice 2nd liner (even at 40 years old) without having to rush a kid like Kreider or Thomas. It buys us plenty of time to develop a kid to jump in right away.

I don't see this happening though, so it's probably moot.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 06:51 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Washington? No way...it's closed book there, no way JJ signs in WAS.
I'm sure Jagr got over that. Playing on Ovechkin's RW? I'm sure that is quite appealing for Jarda. I would welcome Jagr back here. although, it could push a player like Zuccarello out unless someone converts over the LW

edit: it'd also depend on his terms. 1 yr deal - of course no problem. 2 yr deal. let me think about it. 3 yr deal, i don't think i could commit to that.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If we sign Brad, Jagr would be a good second scoring option for the team. He would probably come relatively inexpensively at this age and would obviously not require a long-term contract.

If Jagr can still net around 60 points per season and Brad gets about a point per game, the team would have enough offensive options to contend.

Wolski - Brad - Gabby
Dubinsky - Stepan - Jagr
Zuccarello - AA - Callahan
Grachev/Hagelin - Boyle - Prust

That's not a bad lineup. The LW is weak, but the RW is terrific and C is decent. If MDZ can be a good offensive defenseman, the team is a contender.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Probably the same idiots who said the team would be better off with Drury and Gomez.

It's kinda funny how it all turned out. There were so many posters on here saying how Jags was done, that no way he deserved a multi year deal.....saying he wouldn't be worth garbage after those two years he wanted would have been up, and how the team was now built for the future with Dreary and Gomer.

Now, here we are three years later.....Jagr is still playing at an extremely high level with a great possibility of returning to the NHL and the team has done everything they can to get rid of that "future" that so many thought looked so bright three short years ago.

Think Slats has the balls to say "Yeah, I screwed up bigtime!"??? I don't.
No mention about how Jagr still wanted to be paid like a superstar, eh?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 09:44 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

In all seriousness, Jagr should go to Pittsburgh, and the Ice Chickens should re-sign Kovalev.

If Crosby and Malkin are healthy, Jagr and Kovalev can just stand around and feed them passes. They don't even have to move, and it'll still work.

I could see him playing in Montreal. I don't think Washington will go for it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote