HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft in Minnesota, 7 PM ET. ALL DRAFT TALK HERE

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 05:06 PM
primeking

vCash: 500
Dont know if its been reported or not but HF's mock has us drafting Phillips... Im aware he might be a product of Huberdeau's production but i'd like if someone who saw him play substantially could offer us some insight as to his strengths/weaknesses and potential... ?

Old
06-16-2011, 05:09 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeking View Post
Dont know if its been reported or not but HF's mock has us drafting Phillips... Im aware he might be a product of Huberdeau's production but i'd like if someone who saw him play substantially could offer us some insight as to his strengths/weaknesses and potential... ?
He's soft, small, slow.

He's got good hands, good release, seems like he can dangle.

He is a DND for me.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Phillips is definitely a player that should go 25-30 at 17 I hope we pass.

Old
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by primeking View Post
Huge reach. The scouting community has him much lower...unfortunately HF is fan based and they love numbers.

Phillips is a lot like Ryder, a guy that can be good if well surrounded...but neither very big nor fast. In a deep draft like this belongs 2nd round.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
I'd much rather Gauthier trade with St.Loius for their three #2nd round picks.Send them #17 overall and a defence prospect.Increases our chances with three earlier choices, than blowing the one at #17 never a guarantee of a great pick.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Drive425

We probably won't be trading up in the draft so that said what do you think drafting Brandon Saad.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
We probably won't be trading up in the draft so that said what do you think drafting Brandon Saad.
Saad could be a good pick,people need to be aware that the transition from the USHL to the OHL is quite a difference.Players play huge minutes and the schedule is designed to closely emulate the NHL's.He might surprise next season and dominate in the OHL.

Old
06-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Top Corner2

Right this instant I want:

Ty Ratiie!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V26ak...eature=related

Old
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Saad could be a good pick,people need to be aware that the transition from the USHL to the OHL is quite a difference.Players play huge minutes and the schedule is designed to closely emulate the NHL's.He might surprise next season and dominate in the OHL.
Saad is moving in the wrong direction.....I think this guy might slip pretty far. We might be able to get him with our 2nd pick in the 3rd round (just a hunch...I might be wrong?)

Old
06-16-2011, 07:02 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post

Ty Ratiie!!!

That video makes it hard not to like him, but you have to consider that these are highlight reels. If you go on youtube and look for MAB highlight reels, he will look like a 5M$ player.. You have to careful with those kind of videos.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
That video makes it hard not to like him, but you have to consider that these are highlight reels. If you go on youtube and look for MAB highlight reels, he will look like a 5M$ player.. You have to careful with those kind of videos.

I think the biggest problem with these highlights are that you don't see the weaknesses. I have seen him play one game I believe....so I'm not an expert, I just like his skill & the fact that he competes really hard & scores clutch goals. Definitely needs to work on his skating & defense though....but I like players like him, he seems like a winner.

Have you seen him play bcv? What were your impressions?

Old
06-16-2011, 07:16 PM
S Bah

Quote:

Ty Ratiie!!!

Ty Rattie certainly looks like a player's player no doubt about that,talented little player with big heart.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
Did a first round mock draft for firstroundbust.com and end up picking J.T Miller for the habs at 17th

Guys still available when i made my Miller pick
-Grimaldi
-Puempel
-Klefbom
-Brodin
-Jensen
-Saad
-Jenner
-Biggs
-Morrow
-J.Gibson
-Jurco
-Rattie
-Phillips

What you guys think? My selection was more by base on need than BPA since i probably had Brodin/Klefbom ahead in my overall ranking but Miller is what the habs need. (also think more and more team draft on need than BPA imo).I almost went with Grimaldi though. One reason i didnt went with a defensemen is that next year draft is going to be stack with defensemen, you could see almost half of the first round being d-men pick. So i though Miller was the best pick at this point. Puempel could be an option as well...i could see him being dominant next year and make us look like fool (top10 talent but injury and so so year have drop him in scout eyes)
After re-watching some games...

I'm actually not as high on JT Miller as I was. I think the habs will like him. He is fast & hard working. Just lacks a bit of creativity. I would prefer drafting Grimaldi off that club. I find him more of an offensive catalyst. I also think Brodin, Klefbom & Morrow will both be good value at 17 and might be gone by then on the 24th.

I hope the habs go for a player with more upside this year.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Saad is moving in the wrong direction.....I think this guy might slip pretty far. We might be able to get him with our 2nd pick in the 3rd round (just a hunch...I might be wrong?)
Yeah I seriously doubt that. He'll go in the early second at the absolute latest, but he's probably still a first rounder. He has warts but so does everyone else once you get down around the 20's.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
After re-watching some games...

I'm actually not as high on JT Miller as I was. I think the habs will like him. He is fast & hard working. Just lacks a bit of creativity. I would prefer drafting Grimaldi off that club. I find him more of an offensive catalyst. I also think Brodin, Klefbom & Morrow will both be good value at 17 and might be gone by then on the 24th.

I hope the habs go for a player with more upside this year.
Grimaldi's so tough for me, the talent is undeniable, at worst he is a faster version of Deharnais with a much better shot, at best he can be close to what MSL is right now, but 5'6 has got to be questioned.

We already are a small and soft team or two top forward prospects are Leblanc and Kristo both are around 5'11, 6'0, I believe we need some forwards with size unless they have Grimaldi ranked as a top 10 I think they'll pass due to size concerns and mainly due to us already having a small team.

Miller I believe is a grittier version of Pacioretty, he's got the speed and the body and has shown flashes of brillance lately, he most likely won't ever be more than a 55, 65 point player that can contribute and use the body, potentially an amazing second line center. If he becomes anywhere near Kesler or even a Dubinsky I'd be ecstatic to have him at 17.

Puempel to me is a wild card, some have compared to Cammy, skills wise yes but I think he might be more of an AK without the big body, a player that will score 7 goals in 8 matches than dissapear for 12 matches, rinse and repeat.

Oh and if Klefblom is available I hope Timmins and co. would be tempted to select him.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:03 PM
S Bah

Unless a player with great offensive threat is available the Habs should pick a defeneman with their #17 pick.Morrow,Klefbom,Oleksiak,Siemens,Brodin lots of Dmen to choose from at their pick,just my opinion.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Protest the Hero

I see them drafting a highly skilled offensive forward this year with their first pick(whenever that may be). Looking at their recent drafts, and the prospect pool it's the most glaring thing missing in the system(other than a goalie).

Old
06-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I see them drafting a highly skilled offensive forward this year with their first pick(whenever that may be). Looking at their recent drafts, and the prospect pool it's the most glaring thing missing in the system(other than a goalie).
Other than Grimaldi, I don't see it.

Thing is, we draft players with few real weakness. Because of that, those player often have less upside than others, but ends up in the NHL. It's our trend.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because they could always go with a Jensen...but he's not working hard enough on some night.

Puemple might be too much of a sniper...not complete enough.

Saad...hockey sense concerns...

So that's why I wouldn't be surprised if we go with a J.T. Miller...less upside, but should have a role in the NHL.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
S Bah

Our prospect pool is glaringly obvious the Habs have no LW's, Khokhlachev has that covered and will be available at #17.He's probably the best available at LW after Landeskog.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Other than Grimaldi, I don't see it.

Thing is, we draft players with few real weakness. Because of that, those player often have less upside than others, but ends up in the NHL. It's our trend.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because they could always go with a Jensen...but he's not working hard enough on some night.

Puemple might be too much of a sniper...not complete enough.

Saad...hockey sense concerns...

So that's why I wouldn't be surprised if we go with a J.T. Miller...less upside, but should have a role in the NHL.
Yes but looking at our prospect pool and current lineup our entire top 9, with the exception of Cammy and Kostitsyn are all well rounded players. The scouting team definitely has a trend, and maybe it's just hope on my end that they switch it up a bit, but I think there's a mandate for an offensive guy.

Especially when you look at the guys who could realistically go 17-30, there's a lot of skill there. The reason they're not listed higher is they lack certain aspects of the game obviously, but those aspects can all be taught easier than a great wrist shot can.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Our prospect pool is glaringly obvious the Habs have no LW's, Khokhlachev has that covered and will be available at #17.He's probably the best available at LW after Landeskog.
Puempel's a LW. He's in the same range as Khokhalchev. LW is less of a weakness for the organization when you consider that Cammaleri, Pacioretty and Kostitsyn are with the big club. But they should be looking for Cammaleri's replacement now so he'll be ready in 5 years.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:21 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Here is my mock..

1 - Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Adam Larsson
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. New Jersey - Sean Couturier
5. NY Islanders - Dougie Hamilton.
6. Ottawa - Gabriel Landeskog
7. Winnipeg - Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus - Ryan Strome
9. Boston - Ryan Murphy
10. Minnesota - Joel Armia
11. Colorado - Nathan Beaulieu
12. Carolina - Sven Bartschi
13. Calgary - Mark McNeill
14. Dallas - Duncan Siemens
15. NY Rangers - Oscar Kelfblom
16. Buffalo - Rocco Grimaldi
17. Montreal - Mark Scheifele
18. Chicago - Jamieson Oleksiak
19. Edmonton - Jonas Brodin
20. Phoenix - JT Miller
21. Ottawa - Nicklas Jensen
22. Anaheim - Boone Jenner
23. Pittsburgh - Matt Puempel
24. Detroit - Vladimir Namestnikov
25. Toronto - Ty Rattie
26. Washington - Alexander Khoklachev
27. Tampa Bay - Zach Phillips
28. San Jose - Joe Morrow
29. Vancouver - Tyler Biggs
30. Toronto - Brandon Saad

Old
06-16-2011, 10:23 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Puempel's a LW. He's in the same range as Khokhalchev. LW is less of a weakness for the organization when you consider that Cammaleri, Pacioretty and Kostitsyn are with the big club. But they should be looking for Cammaleri's replacement now so he'll be ready in 5 years.
We can trade down to get both of those guys.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We can trade down to get both of those guys.
Maybe, maybe not. Its definitely a hard board to read right now. I see trading down for one of them but not both.

They are two of the ones I'd look at first if McNeil or Scheifele go early.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Here is my mock..

1 - Edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado - Adam Larsson
3. Florida - Jonathan Huberdeau
4. New Jersey - Sean Couturier
5. NY Islanders - Dougie Hamilton.
6. Ottawa - Gabriel Landeskog
7. Winnipeg - Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus - Ryan Strome
9. Boston - Ryan Murphy
10. Minnesota - Joel Armia
11. Colorado - Nathan Beaulieu
12. Carolina - Sven Bartschi
13. Calgary - Mark McNeill
14. Dallas - Duncan Siemens
15. NY Rangers - Oscar Kelfblom
16. Buffalo - Rocco Grimaldi
17. Montreal - Mark Scheifele
18. Chicago - Jamieson Oleksiak
19. Edmonton - Jonas Brodin
20. Phoenix - JT Miller
21. Ottawa - Nicklas Jensen
22. Anaheim - Boone Jenner
23. Pittsburgh - Matt Puempel
24. Detroit - Vladimir Namestnikov
25. Toronto - Ty Rattie
26. Washington - Alexander Khoklachev
27. Tampa Bay - Zach Phillips
28. San Jose - Joe Morrow
29. Vancouver - Tyler Biggs
30. Toronto - Brandon Saad
I like this list. I think there will also be a few more surprises. Most likely guys that were pegged to go in the 2nd (Russo, C. Murphy, St Croix? maybe?) and a few guys will slip even further.

Closed Thread