HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Matt Cooke wants 2.5m/year, RFA for 2 years, offers ?

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2005, 08:22 PM
canuckerfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to canuckerfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye
Asking Cooke's agent how much money Cooke would be worth as an UFA, is like asking me how beautiful my baby daughter would be as a 25 year old woman...

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer... and all of a sudden this becomes Cooke wants 2.5m per year... Cooke's agent should have replied "all the tea in China"... and some guys would take this to mean that Cooke wants all the tea in China to sign with the Canucks...
Couldn't have said it better, my friend!

Old
08-25-2005, 08:29 PM
regehr

imo, cooke is worth somewhere between $1.0mil and the $1.25mil the Sedins signed for. mike fisher is a far more talented player with more offensive potential. if fisher is playing on one of the top lines, you can expect him to be net 20g-50pt. cooke is really a 15g-35pt player.

Old
08-25-2005, 08:32 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bure94
Cooke's agent just on the radio saying he will not sign under 2.5m/year whatsoever. Cooke is great and clutch and all, but nobody in this city is crazy enough to give a 3rd line checker that kind of money.

Offers ?
I would assume for that kind of money Cooke wont be playing in the NHL for a while, no way is he worth that . yeah he is tough rugged can put up some good poiints especially for a 3rd line checking center very good guy to have on a team but 2.5, no more like 1.2-1.6 and 1.6 might even be to high.

Old
08-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
He did say that Cooke wouldn't settle for less than $2.5 million on the open market. Do you really think he'd play for $1 million now?

If you think you're worth that much as a UFA, you've got to be looking at $1.5 million as a RFA, at the very least.

Old
08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I feel Mike Fisher is a better player than Matt Cooke and deserves more money than him.
Mike Fisher:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=31775

Matt Cooke:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=24173

Fisher HAS been more productive on a point/game basis yes. But it appears he has more injury trouble.

Old
08-25-2005, 09:36 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Mike Fisher:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=31775

Matt Cooke:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=24173

Fisher HAS been more productive on a point/game basis yes. But it appears he has more injury trouble.
i don't think injuries factor in whatsoever when debating who's a better player ... "better" being the key word

Old
08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Cooke's value is about 1.5 mil on the market

Old
08-25-2005, 10:06 PM
NewGuy

I've always felt that Cooke matches up with Jan Bulis pretty well. Cooke with the edge in grit and Bulis with the edge offensively. Bulis will be making $1,026,000 this year and I would imagine Cooke should get about the same, maybe slightly more.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:37 PM
mackdogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Sounds like Cooke is overvaluing himself in any event (I mean he's 5'8", wears a visor and doesn't fight.)
Sure he fights... he fought Steve Moore on that infamous night last season in Vancouver and got his *** kicked. I think we all remember what happened after this.

IMO the going rate for a third line plumber/cheapshot weasel like him is about 1 mil or less per season. He should be grateful to play on a solid team like the nucks as he's nothing but 10-15 mins a night of filler.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Plager05

He should get 1 million a year max.

Old
08-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Wisent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Something's wrong with his agent, no doubt. Cooke isn't in the league of the Lapointe's and Scatchard imo, he's one notch below. I'd be shocked to see my team sign him at more than 1.5M, even if he was a UFA.
Must be a disease limited to agents. So many come to mind...

Old
08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Holly Golightly

Send a message via MSN to Holly Golightly
$1.5 Million

Hi guys!

I just heard (about 10 minutes ago) on MoJo that Cooke is seeking up to $1.25 Million for the upcoming season.

Do you think he will get that??

Old
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy

Probably

Old
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
canucks666

if he's asking for 1.25, we can negotiate him down to 1.15.

That way I can be exactly right in my prediction, and everybody wins. Or rather I do. And that's all that matters

Old
08-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

So in otherwords his agent shot his mouth off with the 2.5 figure and Cooke has to come back and sign quick for Canucks or look like he's grossly overvalued himself. Time to get another agent Matt.

Old
08-26-2005, 06:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
So in otherwords his agent shot his mouth off with the 2.5 figure and Cooke has to come back and sign quick for Canucks or look like he's grossly overvalued himself. Time to get another agent Matt.
no, his agent's comments were taken the wrong way by those listening.

Nonis talked about this in his interview, saying the media reports were taken out of context.... Nonis said himself that Cooke and his agent have never demanded that amount.

His agent talked about how much Cooke could get as a UFA - looking at what a guy like Malik got - and then, like any agent, added from there.... How many agents have said that their top clients could get the max in the UFA market? how many of them signed for the max?

seriously it seems that too many people take what the media says, ignores any spin, and believes everything there.... then you have fans like burefan, who start jumping onto the trade Cooke bandwagon because of what they believe without even thinking about how the media acts.... God gave us all a brain for a reason... think about things and not believe everything you hear!

Pick up Plato's Republic... read Book III... learn to break out of the cave... or read some Chomsky... hell don't read any of it, just don't blindly follow every little spin the media throws out there, and condemn the player just because of what you believe must be true because you've heard a few words coming out the player's agent's mouth, without considering the context of it, or anything else that others (like Nonis) have said in response.

Yea... let's drive Cooke to the airport!! The guy must be crazy and want $2.5mill a year because of what we've heard in the media!!! And ignore the other sources we've heard, including new reports that he wants $1.25mill... ignore what his own agent said (printed and quoted in the province) that they were looking at the Sedins' deal ($1.25mill) and where they believed Cooke should be at.

afterall it's a lot more fun blindly believing what we hear without using our own brains to think about it first

Old
08-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
Hi guys!

I just heard (about 10 minutes ago) on MoJo that Cooke is seeking up to $1.25 Million for the upcoming season.

Long term, sure, seems reasonable to me. But personally, I think Nonis will get him locked up to a 3 year contract at $1.15 mil per.

Old
08-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
no, his agent's comments were taken the wrong way by those listening.

Nonis talked about this in his interview, saying the media reports were taken out of context.... Nonis said himself that Cooke and his agent have never demanded that amount.

His agent talked about how much Cooke could get as a UFA - looking at what a guy like Malik got - and then, like any agent, added from there.... How many agents have said that their top clients could get the max in the UFA market? how many of them signed for the max?

seriously it seems that too many people take what the media says, ignores any spin, and believes everything there.... then you have fans like burefan, who start jumping onto the trade Cooke bandwagon because of what they believe without even thinking about how the media acts.... God gave us all a brain for a reason... think about things and not believe everything you hear!

Pick up Plato's Republic... read Book III... learn to break out of the cave... or read some Chomsky... hell don't read any of it, just don't blindly follow every little spin the media throws out there, and condemn the player just because of what you believe must be true because you've heard a few words coming out the player's agent's mouth, without considering the context of it, or anything else that others (like Nonis) have said in response.

Yea... let's drive Cooke to the airport!! The guy must be crazy and want $2.5mill a year because of what we've heard in the media!!! And ignore the other sources we've heard, including new reports that he wants $1.25mill... ignore what his own agent said (printed and quoted in the province) that they were looking at the Sedins' deal ($1.25mill) and where they believed Cooke should be at.

afterall it's a lot more fun blindly believing what we hear without using our own brains to think about it first
And perception frequently is reality, if his agent even inadvertantly gave the impression Cooke was after that ammount, he cost him a great deal of leverage. God knows the Vancouver media's forwarded the wrong impression before.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
And perception frequently is reality, if his agent even inadvertantly gave the impression Cooke was after that ammount, he cost him a great deal of leverage. God knows the Vancouver media's forwarded the wrong impression before.
maybe.... I don't know what his agent is thinking... what I do know is that his agent was also quoted saying that he felt the Sedins contract was along what Cooke deserves - which is a long way from the $2.5mill speculated in the media.

I also know that every agent has tried to suggest their client deserves more than what they've eventually signed for. Thornton was supposedly going to get the max in the UFA market... he signed a long term deal though and forego FA.

If his agent was asked what he thinks Cooke will get on the open market as a UFA, then why is it such a huge deal that he suggested he might get $2.5mill? It's not like Cooke is on the UFA market, and his agent knows he's still 2 yrs away from getting there. It's also not a surprising amount to hear... Cooke could get $2mill on the UFA market by some team... there will always be teams that overpay to get a player they want (ie. Malik! see what Lapointe got in his deal as well). So if Cooke can get $2mill on the market, is it really so surprising to see an agent throw out the $2.5mill number? they will always throw out numbers on the high side - that's just standard negotiating by agents.

I try to look at the whole picture here... his agent wants the best deal for Cooke - understandable. He's trying to give as much value as he can to his client.

But at the same time, he's already suggested that $1.25 (the Sedin's contract) is the ballpark - as he's made mention of that already.

I think people make way too much of every little thing they hear from the media without actually thinking about the motivation or situations surrounding these comments.

So far this offseason, we've heard the Sedins might have to be traded because we couldn't afford them... Ohlund might have to be dealt because he might demand too much... before that Naslund would walk to the highest bidder... and now Cooke.

The players we couldn't afford, Nonis traded (Sopel) or let go to FA (Malik)... if he thought that Cooke would be so hard to lockup, he probably would be gone as well, but Nonis has said a hundred times already that he expects him signed and in camp... he's also said that the media reports of the $2.5mill was taken way out of context.

I won't put any blame on Cooke or his agent at this point. Not until he's signed or forces the club's hand to move him. All we're hearing is negotiating through the media right now... and the reactions of some fans through each of these negotiations - from Naslund to Ohlund - has so far all proven to be over reaction! Why should it now all of sudden be any different with Cooke?

edit: just to add - what city's media hasn't ever forwarded the wrong impression before???

Closed Thread