HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Bryzgalov, 9 yrs, $5.66M cap hit (report in post #717)

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I just hope we don't see a bunch of 1-0 and 2-1 losses because they no longer have scoring depth (see: rangers, new york).

Hopefully, they stay healthy and depth isn't a concern.
Eh, I'm not too worried about that. Even if the Flyers have to lose one or even two goal scorers, when all is said in done they will still have the likes of Richards, Giroux, JVR, Briere, and Hartnell all of whom have showed in their career that they can score. If they can keep Carter too that just adds to it. The Rangers had (have) no one who can score. And no one who can play defense.

The way I look at it is that the Flyers have such depth in scoring, that although a guy like Richards or Briere or Carter aren't a PPG player, part of the reason is because they don't have to be. When you can spread the scoring out like the Flyers have in the past, its unlikely you will have a 50 goal scorer and multiple PPG players. If they lose a guy that scores, even a Carter who is good for 30-40 goals, they have other people who should be able to step up and fill that role. Maybe not one guy getting those 30-40 goals, but five players scoring 6-8 more goals. So trading up in net while losing some scoring depth won't be that big of a deal as far as offense is concerned. That's just my take on it.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:34 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Leino and Carle are the most likely departures I would think (plus cheap ones like Carcillo, Leighton, Walker)

Old
06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
BernieParent

Rampant speculation and dissent-sowing alert:

Given all that's being tossed around regarding the "room", a small part of me that is weak and listens to half-baked conspiracy theories is anxious about how bringing in a high-priced "saviour" in goal will play out among the team, especially if 1-2 are dealt to make space.

Old
06-16-2011, 07:59 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Leino and Carle are the most likely departures I would think (plus cheap ones like Carcillo, Leighton, Walker)
I really wish someone would take Hartnell off our hands.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Rampant speculation and dissent-sowing alert:

Given all that's being tossed around regarding the "room", a small part of me that is weak and listens to half-baked conspiracy theories is anxious about how bringing in a high-priced "saviour" in goal will play out among the team, especially if 1-2 are dealt to make space.
I might be a minority on this issue, but I am very aprehensive about signing Bryzgalov. And I am not talking about huge overpayment that is iminent in this situation

His contract will handcuff the team and spell the end of the young and developing goalie- Bob. If Bryz signs for 5-6 years, Bob will be gone by the end of his contract in 2 years and we, again, will be stuck with aging player that everyone will be *****ing about and curse Homer for not developing young goalies.

I would prefer to trade for a promissing young keper (Shneider, Enroth) and have them compete with Bob for the job, thus fostering the development of both of them.

But, again, I seem to be in minority AND hope that I am wrong

Old
06-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
I might be a minority on this issue, but I am very aprehensive about signing Bryzgalov. And I am not talking about huge overpayment that is iminent in this situation

His contract will handcuff the team and spell the end of the young and developing goalie- Bob. If Bryz signs for 5-6 years, Bob will be gone by the end of his contract in 2 years and we, again, will be stuck with aging player that everyone will be *****ing about and curse Homer for not developing young goalies.

I would prefer to trade for a promissing young keper (Shneider, Enroth) and have them compete with Bob for the job, thus fostering the development of both of them.

But, again, I seem to be in minority AND hope that I am wrong
IM in the same boat, and am kind of hoping that this Bryzgalov deal falls through. If people honestly believe that bryz is going to solve all of this teams problems they have another thing coming.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
IM in the same boat, and am kind of hoping that this Bryzgalov deal falls through. If people honestly believe that bryz is going to solve all of this teams problems they have another thing coming.
Not all of their problems, just one - goaltending!

A healthy pronger will solve a lot of the other problems - shutdown d, PP, intimidation. Then just pray the scout found a diamond in the rough from guys like Wellwood, Testwuide, Read, Sestito.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:21 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Not all of their problems, just one - goaltending!

A healthy pronger will solve a lot of the other problems - shutdown d, PP, intimidation. Then just pray the scout found a diamond in the rough from guys like Wellwood, Testwuide, Read, Sestito.
So again- too many IFs and a possible huge overpayment in goal.
Flyers already handcuffed by a few huge contracts (pronger, kimo, hartnell, briere) just because they had to overpay for these guys.

I would like to offer another IF- Bryz underperforms and we stuck with his contract + the team will have lost Bob ( i doubt he will ride the pine for long).

Old
06-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Fulton44*

I have to ask this question.

Those who are not in favor of signing Bryzgalov, whether you think he is going to get paid too much, or if you just don't want to sign him in general for whatever reason, have you been following this team for the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years?

For the record, I agree with the person who said fair market value for Bryzgalov is 5.5 - 6.0 million, under 5.5 would be a steal, and over 6.0 would be an overpayment.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
someone posted on twitter that the flyers inquired about vokoun and Bernier before we got bryzgalovs rights.

http://twitter.com/#!/Flyersguru

Old
06-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Fulton44*

Waived
Matt Walker (1.7)
Michael Leighton (1.5)
Jody Shelley (1.1)

LTIR
Lappy (1.1)

Not re-signed
Ville Leino

Traded
Matt Carle (3.4)
Kris Versteeg (3.0)
Sergei Bobrovsky (1.75)
Dan Carcillo (1.075)

That is what the Flyers need to do to sign Bryzgalov, be under the cap, all the while keeping Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
CSKA1974

As per Russian news paper "Sovetskiy Sport" Bryzgalov is seeking a 5 year $27-32 mil. contract

Old
06-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
Waived
Matt Walker (1.7)
Michael Leighton (1.5)
Jody Shelley (1.1)

LTIR
Lappy (1.1)

Not re-signed
Ville Leino

Traded
Matt Carle (3.4)
Kris Versteeg (3.0)
Sergei Bobrovsky (1.75)
Dan Carcillo (1.075)

That is what the Flyers need to do to sign Bryzgalov, be under the cap, all the while keeping Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.
Based on what cap number and what cap hit for Bryz?

Old
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Fulton44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
someone posted on twitter that the flyers inquired about vokoun and Bernier before we got bryzgalovs rights.

http://twitter.com/#!/Flyersguru
That would be a stupid stupid move on Holmgren's part. If he bought out Shelley the Flyers would carry dead cap space of around 700K for the next FOUR years.

He should, and I think will be WAIVED to the Phantoms.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:40 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
I have to ask this question.

Those who are not in favor of signing Bryzgalov, whether you think he is going to get paid too much, or if you just don't want to sign him in general for whatever reason, have you been following this team for the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years?

For the record, I agree with the person who said fair market value for Bryzgalov is 5.5 - 6.0 million, under 5.5 would be a steal, and over 6.0 would be an overpayment.
To answer your question- yes, I have. And yes we need a true #1 keeper. I am just not sold on Bryzgalov and a length of his potential contract.

The last thing to say- I wish to be wrong, cause I want the Cup in Philadelphia as much as you do.

Old
06-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Fulton44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Based on what cap number and what cap hit for Bryz?
62.5 million dollar cap, Bryzgalov with a cap hit of 5.5 million.

That would leave the Flyers about 5.1 million to spend for two top 9 wingers, a spare forward, and a 6th defensemen, while allowing themselves 1 million in cap space heading into the season for injuries/callups, etc.

Here is a full roster showing all of this.

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m)

Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Chad Larose ($1.750m)

Raffi Torres ($1.750m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.892m)

Tom Sestito ($0.635m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.756m)

Eric Godard ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)

Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)

Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Sean O'Donnell ($1.000m)

Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.500m)

Brian Boucher ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
SALARY CAP: $62,500,000;
CAP PAYROLL: $61,466,155;
BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,033,845

Old
06-16-2011, 09:48 PM
brian822

Quote:
That would be a stupid stupid move on Holmgren's part. If he bought out Shelley the Flyers would carry dead cap space of around 700K for the next FOUR years.

exactly

Old
06-16-2011, 09:54 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
To answer your question- yes, I have. And yes we need a true #1 keeper. I am just not sold on Bryzgalov and a length of his potential contract.

The last thing to say- I wish to be wrong, cause I want the Cup in Philadelphia as much as you do.
Not worried about contract length as long as there isn't a NMC. Comcast has deep enough pockets to bury him in AHL or lend him over to Europe.
If it gets his cap hit down then go 7 yrs.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:

As thoroughly as I agree, I don't see it happening. I think Homer does that whole "respect" thing where he wouldn't bury somewhat like Shelley, who as terrible as he is, does show up to play. I'm sure he'll be defended as a "great locker room guy" or crap like that.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Hey guys, just a take from an outsider. I'm not sure if a contract like this today would fall under investigation from the league, but possibly a front loaded contract like Kipper's would be the way to go to sign Bryz. Kipper has a 6 year deal, paying: 8.5, 7, 7, 6, 6, 1.5 million totalling a cap hit of 5.83. If you can sign Bryz to a six year contract having something around an average cap hit of say 5.3 million, than that is a fairly manageable contract. I really hope you guys can sign him, your team would be absolutely dominant with no holes if you can get it done. Don't worry about signing him long term, goalies have shown to play at a high level well into their late 30's.

And I agree that trading Carter to make room for Bryz is crazy talk. Letting Zherdev walk free's up 2 million, trading Carcillo 1.075, and then if anything you can easily trade Carle for a draft pick freeing up another 3.437 off the cap. Those moves alone free up over 6 million and with the cap going up that should still leave you with about 2-3 million in cap space. If you cannot trade Carcillo, you let either Leino walk or trade Versteeg for a nice package including a 1st round pick + and then still have the room to get Leino done. The Flyers have a ton of options and are sitting very nicely.

Good luck guys, the Flyers are a great team and will be almost unstoppable if they get Bryz signed.

EDIT: I know moving Hartnell is the easy thing to do, but I wouldn't move him if possible. He is a huge part of the Flyers identity and I think moving him would be a mistake. He just makes your team that much harder to play against.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:39 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Well considering Hartnell has a NTC, i don't think trading him would be "the easy thing to do."

Old
06-16-2011, 11:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I can't believe there are people on this board willing to go through another year of goalie tryouts and not wanting Bryzgalov even if he's "overpaid". Guy is a legit number 1 .....just stop with the nonsense like going with Bob and Boosh and hoping they "get it" this time. Bob still has a good amount of seasoning and tweaking of his game he needs to work through and Boosh..I mean how many times does this guy have to prove he is a career backup??? We can't then rely on him again if Bob can't work out the kinks in his game.....and Leighton not sure why I even brought up his name

edit...and yes trading Hartnell is just not prudent unless you want to soften the team even more. I'm also not convinced we should subtract from the D by trading Carle. With Pronger's back being suspect and Timonen on the decline we need as much depth as possible even with a better goalie. To me it makes more sense to subtract from the forwards like a Versteeg etc

Old
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I don't want to risk gutting a section of the team so we can have an expensive goalie and be Rangers 2.0.

06-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Well considering Hartnell has a NTC, i don't think trading him would be "the easy thing to do."
I know a thing or two about NMC/NTC being from Calgary. Really all it does is give the player some control over where they will be traded to. If the GM goes to player 'x' and says "We have several trade scenerio's in place, would you be willing to waive"? Chances are that player is not going to want to stay playing for that organization anyways. The clause gives them some control in the potential destination they may land. Would Hartnell be the type of player that would handcuff the Flyers if they decided he was the player that should be moved?

Old
06-16-2011, 11:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't want to risk gutting a section of the team so we can have an expensive goalie and be Rangers 2.0.
The Rangers 2.0 with Lundqvist aren't going to never upgrade in the years King Henry is signed with them. I know Sather isn't exactly a brain anymore but eventually the Rangers with Lundqvist will have their chance....although I hope they don't.

Closed Thread