HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v15 |Report: Tentative deal reached. Season may begin as soon as Xmas day.

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

vCash: 500
Yep I think some people don't give enough credit to the Mav's roster and coaching. It's not really that Miami messed up, but at the end of the day, Dallas was just the better team. I personally would much rather have Spo than Frank, but being the assistant coach to Rivers may help his resume if BC is looking for a coach to instill some stronger defensive play.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
Spo is actually a fine young coach. People sometimes forget that he managed to take the Heat to two straight playoff appearances with a roster that many people wrote of as a non playoff team. His second year where he went 47-35 was very impressive and unexpected. He got outcoached by Carlisle, with the zone D and not really having an answer to the rotation switch up by Carlisle, but so would about another 25 coaches in the league.

Only problem I see with Spo in Miami is that his personality and ego cannot match that of James and Wade. They need a coach who has just as big of a personality to show everyone he's at the helm, most likely a more veteran coach, someone that demands respect. I think Spo would be great on a young team with lesser expectations. He's young, and made some mistakes that showed it, but he's still a fine coach by all means.
Who is that coach tho? Only one I can really think of is Jackson, other then him not alot of guys out there that seem to be able to even compare to the kind of ego these three have.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:22 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Who is that coach tho? Only one I can really think of is Jackson, other then him not alot of guys out there that seem to be able to even compare to the kind of ego these three have.
It's simple. Pat Riley.. He's already there, and people were saying it could happen this year.

If Riley was the coach, they might've won the championship this year.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
No way, he's not a true PG.

Either draft Kantar or Valanciunas and if you really want a PG, buy a late 1st or a 2nd(there is always some team willing to take cash) and draft Reggie Jackson or Shelvin Mack.

Funny story, apparently Kevin Love from the T-Wolves works out with Westbrook alot, and there have been rumors he would want to play for them.

Also, Spo is actually a pretty good coach. You could do worse imo.
So does Derick Rose. The 3 of them worked out together last summer and that was noted as a big reason why the 3 saw such massive improvements in their game. But that doesn't mean they're gonna all join on the same team. I'm calling BS on that rumor.

I don't even know where all the talk of the Durant-Westbrook feud came from. I have both of them on twitter and they're always talking back and forth and making plans and stuff.

OKC will not break up that core. They have a great thing going, and they're my pick to go all the way next year.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

They should add Howard to Durant and Westbrook, IMO.

Old
06-15-2011, 12:56 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
They should add Howard to Durant and Westbrook, IMO.
Wasn't Westbrook pissed that he wasn't getting enough touches? Durant is a great scorer, I think Howard would get in the way of that. Hard to think that OKC has the money to really pony up three max contracts.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

My wish list for the 5th pick (Irving and Williams are guaranteed to be gone):

1. Brandon Knight
2. Enes Kanter
3. Kemba Walker
4. Jonas Valanciunas
5. Kawhi Leonard

Old
06-15-2011, 03:17 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I really don't know anything about the NBA's salary cap situation (assuming soft cap?) so I was just wondering why Toronto doesn't have a chance at getting any big name free agents like Howard? Is it more to do with money or location or what?

Old
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

These big name UFA's don't want to sign here for whatever reasons. I doubt it has anything to do with the money. Toronto this past season I believe was 13th in regards to team pay roll.

Old
06-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
I still want Kemba.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
I still want Kemba.
I'd be perfectly alright with us picking Kemba, but I feel Brandon Knight has higher upside when it comes to a "complete" game as a PG. That being said, Kemba is the flashier player and he's said to be a leader on the court and in the room, so I think he'd be a good pick as well.

I like Enes Kanter, but I wonder how he'd feel about playing in Toronto. All indications are that he wants to play in Washington.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:06 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Chad Ford's mock draft 5.0 is a little different, though not for the Raps.

1) Irving (Cle)
2) Williams (Min)
3) Knight (Uta)
4) Valaciunas (Cle)
5) Vesley (Tor)
6) Kanter (Wsh)
7) Leonard (Sac)
8) Walker (Det)
9) Marcus Morris (Cha)
10) Thompson (Mil)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-16-2011, 12:58 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

If the Raptors are drafting Kemba Walker, the question is going to be: Can he become an elite scorer at the PG positon? And if not will he fill the role of a pass first guard? The Raptors are going to need some one to help Derozan keep his offensive game up (which means passing the ball and getting him on cuts / screens). We need to build around a player(s), Ed Davis, Demar Derozan, and Amir Johnson are all great starts we know this.

If we are going for the PG position we need some one who will bring out the strengths of the majority of the group. The Raptors young talent can really do some damage in a weak Eastern division (although it seems like it's getting better). Colangelo needs to start making the right picks for this team and not always going for the Euros (not saying that there is anything wrong with any of them, if one fits the teams proper needs go for it)

Old
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

It's starting to look more and more like we'll see this:

1. Cleveland - Kyrie Irving
2. Minnesota - Derrick Williams
3. Utah - Brandon Knight
4. Cleveland - Enes Kanter
5. Toronto - ??

If that's the case, I want Kemba Walker. I'd be alright with Jonas Valanciunas, but would rather Kemba.

I just hope we don't reach on a prospect like Leonard, Vesely, or Biyombo. All are decent prospects but not at the 5th spot.

An ideal scenario in this case would be selecting Kemba at 5, and then trading for another top 10 pick and selecting Kawhi or maybe Marcus Morris.

Old
06-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Sounds like Dwayne Casey will be named Raptors head coach shortly.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

3. Utah - Brandon Knight
5. Toronto - ??

If that's the case, I want Kemba Walker. I'd be alright with Jonas Valanciunas, but would rather Kemba.

I just hope we don't reach on a prospect like Leonard, Vesely, or Biyombo. All are decent prospects but not at the 5th spot.

An ideal scenario in this case would be selecting Kemba at 5, and then trading for another top 10 pick and selecting Kawhi or maybe Marcus Morris.
To be honest, I think Jonas would be the better bet. Kemba is a nice player, but damn its a risk, something I don't want to take with the 5th.

Take a C, and call it a day. The PG's in this draft aren't the type we want imo.

06-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I'd be very happy with Valanciunas.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:30 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Dwane Casey is reportedly really close to be naming the Raptors coach. He was the guy that set up the Mavericks defense to beat the Heat. Perfect. Hopefully he continues his defensive mind-set and we see him implement that here..

Old
06-16-2011, 11:40 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post

3. Utah - Brandon Knight
5. Toronto - ??

Vesley is actually getting a lot of positive reviews. He's supposed to be super athletic and is apparently not nearly as much of a risk as most European prospects.

Old
06-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
To be honest, I think Jonas would be the better bet. Kemba is a nice player, but damn its a risk, something I don't want to take with the 5th.

Take a C, and call it a day. The PG's in this draft aren't the type we want imo.
I really think we should trade this pick to a team like Cleveland or Minnesota for an unprotected pick next year. Or see if you can trade the pick for a young roster player that fits the description of this team needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Dwane Casey is reportedly really close to be naming the Raptors coach. He was the guy that set up the Mavericks defense to beat the Heat. Perfect. Hopefully he continues his defensive mind-set and we see him implement that here..
Let's hope he can implement the same defense here. I don't even remember the last time we had a good defensive team.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Nice, that's the type of coach you want to hire. He's a very easy upgrade over Triano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Vesley is actually getting a lot of positive reviews. He's supposed to be super athletic and is apparently not nearly as much of a risk as most European prospects.
The biggest problem I have with him is he is a bit of a tweener. If you play him at SF, he's going to get obliterated in the defensive aspect of the game. He's also not that good of a rebounder. I dunno, I'd rather Jonas V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I really think we should trade this pick to a team like Cleveland or Minnesota for an unprotected pick next year. Or see if you can trade the pick for a young roster player that fits the description of this team needs.
Minny's pick is with the Clippers (unprotected, LOL! Kaaahhhhhnnnnn) and I don't think Cleveland is going to risk it. They will live and die by the draft for a few years.

Thought Kanter and Irving is a very nice core.

I'm not sure if there is any young players worth trading.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Detroit's owner might throw more money at him. It's between us and them.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Let's hope he can implement the same defense here. I don't even remember the last time we had a good defensive team.

When Kevin O'Neill was the head coach.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Kulemon

What I like about Walker is that he has a good head on his shoulders, he is a leader on and off the court, he actually LIKES Toronto, he's flashy and entertaining, and he has the potential to dominate games (which he might not do at the NBA level though).

I think Kemba has some real potential but I don't know if he'll ever be a great passer and he isn't the biggest guy either.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I thought Lawrence Frank was close to signing with the Pistons. I know BC has interest in him as well. By the look of the speculated candiates, BC knows he needs to address the defensive issues of this team, and coaching is always a good place to start.

Closed Thread