HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Canadiens 2011 draft preview

Old
06-16-2011, 01:35 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Montreal Canadiens 2011 draft preview

The Canadiens possess the 17th overall pick in the 2011 draft.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post

More...
If Phillips is our top rated player available I would consider trading down. At least once if not twice to pick up a couple extra picks. Nothing against Phillips going to be good player just good ones available later also and get more prospects. Timmins done some of his best work in second or late round of drafts.

Also, think chance we could trade down and still end up with Phillips in late 1st round.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
If Phillips is our top rated player available I would consider trading down. At least once if not twice to pick up a couple extra picks. Nothing against Phillips going to be good player just good ones available later also and get more prospects. Timmins done some of his best work in second or late round of drafts.

Also, think chance we could trade down and still end up with Phillips in late 1st round.
If we can't get McNeil we may as well trade down I think.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:23 AM
WestIslander

Jamieson Oleksiak is the guy I want! Imagine a top four of the following in the future:

Yemelin - Subban
Oleksiak - Tinordi

I would love to see a Tinordi - Oleksiak penalty killing tandem in Montreal.

Quote:
Standing at a remarkable 6'7 and well north of 240 lbs, Jamieson Oleksaik is the biggest prospect up for grabs in the 2011 NHL draft, and arguably the most intriguing. When just looking at his physical atributes, ones mind automatically jumps to the thought that your looking at the next Zdeno Chara, or Tyler Myers, or even Victor Hedman, which in some senses makes sense as he is equally as "raw" as Tyler Myers was at the same age. On the other hand some scouts see a player thats over hyped due to his enormous frame who will ultimately amount to a whole lot of nothing.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Jamieson Oleksiak is the guy I want! Imagine a top four of the following in the future:

Yemelin - Subban
Oleksiak - Tinordi

Imagine if Gill was younger and could play at least 3 more years with us

Gill Oleksiak Tinordi

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post

More...
Even if a team is absolutely in love with Phillips, no way he comes even close to going as high as 17. Like I said yesterday, HF overrates him because of his stats, but he played with Huberdeau on a powerhouse team and he is a late birthday.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
habsroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
If we can't get McNeil we may as well trade down I think.
I agree with you McNeil is the guy we need and if we can't get him trade down unless someone from the top 10 is still on the board like last year when Fowler and Gormley slipped about 7 or 8 spots. If we trade down I think we may as well draft Biggs he is big tough and plays with grit and if he only becomes a 10-15 goal scorer that can skate,hit and fight and play on the third line well guess what that is what the Habs should be looking for in the UFA this year, So in 3 years we would have White, Biggs and Conboy running around hitting everything in sight.He might also turn into a power forward that can score 25-30 goals and fight someone like Clowe on the sharks.

habsroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Imagine if Gill was younger and could play at least 3 more years with us
Don't even joke about that

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Even if a team is absolutely in love with Phillips, no way he comes even close to going as high as 17. Like I said yesterday, HF overrates him because of his stats, but he played with Huberdeau on a powerhouse team and he is a late birthday.
As a Seadogs season-ticket holder, and a guy who has watched Phillips over two seasons in this capacity, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. You shouldnt' be selling Phillips short just because he played with Huberdeau - while Hubie gets the most attention, Phillips would be a great pick-up for the Habs and I'd love to see them draft him. I feel you haven't seen him enough to make that kind of a statement, because if you had you'd probably have something different to say. No-where close to 17? Where do you figure he'll go, and I'll remind you of it when the draft occurs.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Gainey#1*

McNeil should still be available at 17, no?

Also, does have anyone have a list of our draft order this year?

Thanks

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Chris Phifer
Hockey's Future Staff

we currently have our own first obviously, 17th
no 2nd
our own 3rd at 78th
Anaheim's 4th at 113th
our own 5th at 138th
our own 6th at 168th
and our own 7th at 198th

as per wikipedia that is.

I was interested in who my fellow Habs fans would like to pick up with the picks outside the first round. Are there any players you've seen and loved that you think would be attainable with our picks from the 3rd round on?

A few guys I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal draft are Ryan Sproul, Xavier Ouellet, Travis Ewanyk, Colin Jacobs, Colin Sullivan, Keevin Cutting, Jeremy Boyce-Rotevall and Alexander Ruuttu. We should think about using maybe our 6th or 7th on another goalie, but I don't know a whole lot about many goalies outside the top 5 or 6 guys and they likely wouldn't be available that late in the draft.

What do you guys think?

Chris Phifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
As a Seadogs season-ticket holder, and a guy who has watched Phillips over two seasons in this capacity, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. You shouldnt' be selling Phillips short just because he played with Huberdeau - while Hubie gets the most attention, Phillips would be a great pick-up for the Habs and I'd love to see them draft him. I feel you haven't seen him enough to make that kind of a statement, because if you had you'd probably have something different to say. No-where close to 17? Where do you figure he'll go, and I'll remind you of it when the draft occurs.
Being a season ticket holder of a team makes people pretty biased about their own players for the most part. Phillips I think belongs around 35 give or take 2-3 spots either way(32-38), but I think he could end up going 25-30 as I can see a team reaching for him around there. Red Line has him at #34.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM
habitue*

Philips is not that good. I've seen him play during the Q playoffs in Gatineau and I was not impressed at all. He should thank Huberdeau to have such good stats.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 01:20 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Being a season ticket holder of a team makes people pretty biased about their own players for the most part. Phillips I think belongs around 35 give or take 2-3 spots either way(32-38), but I think he could end up going 25-30 as I can see a team reaching for him around there. Red Line has him at #34.
Fair enough, just as I feel people who don't see a player play much is pretty biased when comparing to another they've seen more of or that has had more media attention. Just so you know, there are some Dogs that I feel don't deserve the rankings they get, but Phillips isn't one of them.

I expect he'll go 15-25.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

Yemelin - Subban
Oleksiak - Tinordi

I agree. Although it will be tough to pass on someone like McNeil, who we desperately need as well.

Oleksiak/Tinordi would be amazing.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
cedouimet

I say trade down and get a 2nd round pick

I really want us to pick that number 16 defensement from LHJMQ montreal juniors...

Ouellet is really good defensivly, and has a great transition game.
Could become a solid 2nd pairing D-Man

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:33 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I will reiterate my statement from the draft thread.
Trade up for Zibanejad
or trade down if Scheifele is off the board.

People like Biggs, Oleksiak, Grimaldi, McNeill. There are huge question marks on all of those guys. It hurts a little less to take a chance on them if we get a 2nd rounder out of it.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:53 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
McNeil should still be available at 17, no?

Also, does have anyone have a list of our draft order this year?

Thanks
Rumour has it Carolina likes him so can't see him getting past 12th

Old
06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Rumour has it Carolina likes him so can't see him getting past 12th
Carolina may like him but they're going to have a number of good options at 12. McNeill who will probably go 12-20 so him being either availible or taken before 17 would not be surprising either way. Same with Scheifele, who I have a little behind him.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:52 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Carolina may like him but they're going to have a number of good options at 12. McNeill who will probably go 12-20 so him being either availible or taken before 17 would not be surprising either way. Same with Scheifele, who I have a little behind him.
I heard Carolina are really high on McNeill. Take major surprise in draft for him to slide past 12