HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 06:37 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
Do understand it correctly that although he can't play because of failed medicals, he would still receive the sallary and his full cap hit will still count against the regular season cap ?
Yes, until he is put on LTIR which we can't do until September. Until then, his full 7M cap counts against the cap. Basically, we're not able to remove his cap hit until September when he's put on LTIR.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Ke11y96

So does this mean that come July 1st we'll have Drury 7.05 and Redden 6.5 meaning 13.55 in cap space that eventually we will have free but not until the first day of camp when we can LTIR Drury and put Redden in the minors?

63.5 + 10% = 69.85 - 13.55 = 56.30

Are those the correct numbers in regards to what we can actually spend? Because that means we'll have 63.5 - 56.30 = 7.20 in cap space? However not until training camp really doesn't help this club...

Can we trade Drury if he does this? Florida could use him to get to the cap especially if Insurance will cover 80% of his salary...?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:46 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Yes, until he is put on LTIR which we can't do until September. Until then, his full 7M cap counts against the cap. Basically, we're not able to remove his cap hit until September when he's put on LTIR.
Therefore the actual problem is the summer salary cap? Because as I see it, because of this, we will have a lot of regular season cap space.

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:47 AM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
So does this mean that come July 1st we'll have Drury 7.05 and Redden 6.5 meaning 13.55 in cap space that eventually we will have free but not until the first day of camp when we can LTIR Drury and put Redden in the minors?

Are those the correct numbers in regards to what we can actually spend? Because that means we'll have 63.5 - 56.30 = 7.20 in cap space? However not until training camp really doesn't help this club...

Can we trade Drury if he does this? Florida could use him to get to the cap especially if Insurance will cover 80% of his salary...?
Can't trade him without his say-so due to NMC.

To all, before everyone flies off the handle, just remember that at this stage, this all speculation based on one article quoting unnamed sources. There are still several ways this could play out.....

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:51 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Therefore the actual problem is the summer salary cap? Because as I see it, because of this, we will have a lot of regular season cap space.
I believe so.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Can't trade him without his say-so due to NMC.

To all, before everyone flies off the handle, just remember that at this stage, this all speculation based on one article quoting unnamed sources. There are still several ways this could play out.....
True, I just figured if he's truly unable to play and is just going to collect paychecks for the next season and 80% of those paychecks are reimbursed by insurance to whatever team he plays for what should he care who sends out his checks..To me if this goes how i've been reading it all he'll have to do is show up to any team he could be traded to's camp on day one, be told he's unable to go and boom, he could turn right around to connecticut make pizza's and relax.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Levitate

Do you have to use ALL of the IR cap space at once? The way Brooks phrased it, he made it sound like the Rangers have to spend the full $7 mill of Drury's cap hit in order to make use of the IR space it allows, instead of just using say $3 mill or something

This is pretty irritating. Seems like there should be a provision that allows for a players cap hit to not take effect if they suffer a career ending injury. What happens if some young guy who just signed a huge contract for 10 years breaks his neck the next day? He can just not retire and spend the next 10 years collecting a paycheck and ****ing his team over? I assume in that case that a grievance would be filed but the overall implications are...annoying.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:56 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Retire ... Make him head of new England scouting....

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Do understand it correctly that although he can't play because of failed medicals, he would still receive the sallary and his full cap hit will still count against the regular season cap ?
He hasn't failed any physicals yet. Receives the full $5M and cap hit counts. Rangers can put Drury on LTIR and use that money on other players. Rangers need to be at upper limit to receive the long term IR benefits.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:00 AM
mike14

As frustrating as this is, it makes the redden contract so much more annoying. The 10% summer-cap means that you can basically afford 1 bad contract, Redden's (which was a worse contract than Drury's IMO) means that we are heading up a smelly creek without a rowing implement.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Janerixon

If he has yet to file the paperwork they should buy him out before he has the chance and let him file the grievance. If this is true he is holding this team hostage with his $7.05 cap hit which he only makes $5 million in actual money which may lead to a buyout of wolski or sather may do something rash and consider buying out redden which would be a nightmare. Hopefully Brooks is wrong as he has been wrong before and reported drury was already told he was being bought out as if it was a done deal. Somehow drury's degenerative knee problem was not known to the rangers and Brooks then, seems odd.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Ke11y96

Maybe RangerBoy or someone can clarify but if the cap goes to 63.5 and you get that 10% cushion for the summer at 69.85 which basically covers us carrying Redden. In the article it states we have to spend all of Drury's cap hit to place him on LTIR so can we technically spend 69.85 + 7.05 = 76.90 ???
Then that puts us after those two are LTIR and waived at 63.35.

I mean spending his cap hit wouldn't be hard in comes Richards at 7 and out goes Drury at 7.05, and i'm sure we'll get that 50,000 tied into one of our RFA's.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:18 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Ok, so what's the best course of action here?

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:22 AM
pld459666

Until the docs are filed, I will not lend this much credence.

I would expect that he will probably retire as this is pretty much the end of his career anyway

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Until the docs are filed, I will not lend this much credence.

I would expect that he will probably retire as this is pretty much the end of his career anyway
You would have to think? I mean is this saying he is done? Why would he not retire, take a job in the front office, stay in NY with his family

I mean this makes things alot nicer for him does it not? Drury has great hockey sense so he could help in the front office

I hope this does'nt screw our cap situation over

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:25 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Maybe RangerBoy or someone can clarify but if the cap goes to 63.5 and you get that 10% cushion for the summer at 69.85 which basically covers us carrying Redden. In the article it states we have to spend all of Drury's cap hit to place him on LTIR so can we technically spend 69.85 + 7.05 = 76.90 ???
Then that puts us after those two are LTIR and waived at 63.35.

I mean spending his cap hit wouldn't be hard in comes Richards at 7 and out goes Drury at 7.05, and i'm sure we'll get that 50,000 tied into one of our RFA's.
Quote:
(d) Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception to the Upper Limit. In
the event that a Player on a Club becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and
unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes,
in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit
to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular
Season games, and such Club desires to replace such Player, the Club may add an
addit ional Player or Players to its Act ive Roster, and the replacement Player Salary and
Bonuses of such addit ional Player(s) may increase the Club's Averaged Club Salary to an
amount up to and exceeding the Upper Limit, solely as, and to the extent and for the
duration, set forth below. If, however, the League wishes to challenge the determinat ion
of a Club physician that a Player is unfit to play for purposes of the Bona-Fide Long-
Term Injury/Illness Except ion, the League and the NHLPA shall promptly confer and
joint ly select a neutral physician, who shall review the Club physician's determination
regarding the Player's fitness to play.
LTIR allows the team to exceed the upper limit

Quote:
(iii) The total replacement Player Salary and Bonuses for a Player or
Players that have replaced an unfit-to-play Player may not in the
aggregate exceed the amount of the Player Salary and Bonuses of
the unfit-to-play Player who the Club is replacing;
Can't exceed $7.05M

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:27 AM
jniklast

Quote:

That seems about right. But at least two-way contracts only count pro-rated depending on days spent on the roster the previous season. I.e. Erixon's ELC won't count at all, DZ only partly and MZA as well. That should increase the amount we'll be able to spend. Also if Sather signs someone after camp (like Feds last season) that could work as well.
And I don't know which of our RFAs are arbitration eligible, but in theory Sather could wait to sign them until after camp as well (liek Dubi two years ago). Of course that exposes them to the risk of offer sheets and the players won't exactly like it.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
Ola

The CBA is flawed in a sense, hypotetically, I mean, we have Redden and Drury now. Imagine if a team loose three high paid guys to LTIR's, say earning 25% of a teams cap combined, theyd have to dismantle the entire team every summer.

I mean, with the 10-15 year contracts we are seeing nowadays, its not as unlikely as one might think.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:31 AM
trueblue231930

Is this roster possible with the summer cap? It seems plausible because Erixon and Del Zotto won't be on the summer cap. Please correct me if I'm wrong on the players that count or don't count against the summer cap.

Once camp opens you bury Redden and place Drury on LTIR and you open up the roster/cap space for the kids that will round out the bottom two lines and d pairings. It almost ensures Wolski will be traded at the draft or bought out.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Jussi Jokinen ($3.500m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.000m) / Brian Boyle ($1.000m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.500m)
Wade Redden ($6.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,537,500; BONUSES: $1,275,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,962,500 (buy out wolski at 466k) so really 1.5 in space.

trueblue231930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:35 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
As frustrating as this is, it makes the redden contract so much more annoying. The 10% summer-cap means that you can basically afford 1 bad contract, Redden's (which was a worse contract than Drury's IMO) means that we are heading up a smelly creek without a rowing implement.
Well, I believe there is a chance of two things happening. Someone correct me if I am wrong..

1) Drury retires, and his cap hit is removed.
2) Redden refuses to report and the contract is terminated. (this had been mentioned before, probably a slim chance)

The issue is the summer cap. If Redden refuses to report and the contract is terminated, we will still carry his hit all summer. And the only way to get rid of Drury's summer hit is IF he retires. There is the potential to free up 13 million by training camp, only problem is where do you spend that money?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Vitto79

so in the end Drury's contract may be off the books completely with no Cap hit at all?

Does he not have to pull a Naslund now and just retire?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:37 AM
NYRCC

****. if he doesn't retire i'm going to be PISSED. HANG EM UP DRU.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The CBA is flawed in a sense, hypotetically, I mean, we have Redden and Drury now. Imagine if a team loose three high paid guys to LTIR's, say earning 25% of a teams cap combined, theyd have to dismantle the entire team every summer.

I mean, with the 10-15 year contracts we are seeing nowadays, its not as unlikely as one might think.
That's not a flaw in the CBA, it's a flaw in the Rangers.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Coyote fan coming in peace.

Can Drury's rights still be traded (I'm assuming this is a yes) and does insurance cover the entire costs of Drury's salary next year (assuming this is true).

If so, you can always bribe a team to take the cap hit. Phoenix has plenty of space. A deal could be completed.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:41 AM
pld459666

This is a big test for Drury as a person.

Does he look out for himself and himself only and screw his teammates over by pulling this crap, or does he do the right thing and file his retirement papers?

If he's claiming that he is disabled and unable to preform, and sitting out for any extended period of time will kill any shot at coming back, then the only reason you do that is to make sure that you collect every penny of the 5 million the Rangers owe him.

A true and legit leader type of person would never get in the way of allowing the team to progress.

He's not hurting for money, he's got his life after hockey set up and can always get into coaching as he is a smart player.

I have been disappointed in Drury the player for a while, moving in a direction that he knows will hamstring the franchise for his own personal gain will force me to lose all respect for him as a human being.

However, I'm sure that me losing respect for him as a person will not ruin his weekend.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote