HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bylsma on 93.7 the Fan

Old
06-17-2011, 08:18 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

vCash: 500
Bylsma on 93.7 the Fan

A couple key things he said-

- He feels had the Pens made the SCF, Geno would have been ready to play. He recently got a call from Gonchar, saying he saw Malkin recently and that Geno looks fitter and stronger than he can ever remember, and has been rehabbing hard.

- Sid on schedule with his summer workouts, he's not behind, as he'd only be starting now anyway.

- The plan is to use the 3 center model. There will be mixing and matching and "maybe some times the 3 are on the ice together".

- He feels Kennedy can play with Sid or Geno, but also he recognizes the chemistry Staal and TK share. And that the 3rd line is a group he "is comfortable matching up against an Ovechkin or someone like that late in a game, when needed."

- Depres, he was pretty non-commital on, saying he could play, but recognized the top 4 is pretty set.

Overall, pretty good stuff. Exciting to hear, makes me look forward to next year a little more.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:21 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
A couple key things he said-

- He feels had the Pens made the SCF, Geno would have been ready to play. He recently got a call from Gonchar, saying he saw Malkin recently and that Geno looks fitter and stronger than he can ever remember, and has been rehabbing hard.

- Sid on schedule with his summer workouts, he's not behind, as he'd only be starting now anyway.

- The plan is to use the 3 center model. There will be mixing and matching and "maybe some times the 3 are on the ice together".

- He feels Kennedy can play with Sid or Geno, but also he recognizes the chemistry Staal and TK share. And that the 3rd line is a group he "is comfortable matching up against an Ovechkin or someone like that late in a game, when needed."

- Depres, he was pretty non-commital on, saying he could play, but recognized the top 4 is pretty set.

Overall, pretty good stuff. Exciting to hear, makes me look forward to next year a little more.
Interesting that he would say he could put all 3 on the ice together...

I guess we would have Letestu, Jeffrey, or Adams available to put out there to center the next three shifts to give them a rest.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:28 AM
cassius

Awesome to hear - pretty cool that Gonchar is still close with Bylsma.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
WVP

Quote:
- The plan is to use the 3 center model.
Interesting, thanks for posting this.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:31 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Yeah I agree.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Interesting, thanks for posting this.
Agreed, very interesting. I'm glad to hear that he's going back to the 3 center model for sure.

Quote:
Hmmm, so if Kennedy stays on Staal's line then we still need two Top 6 RWs??? If that's the case I'll be surprised if Dupuis isn't brought back to play with Sid.

Quote:
I thought so too, I miss Gonch!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Good News: Shero recognizes the strengths of the 3 center model and Tyler Kennedy, Malkin's recovery, and Shero's rational approach to Despres.

It's always all good news this early in the offseason, though. Let's just hope he doesn't change his mind about the three center thing.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

No offense, this has been misinterpreted a million times. Can anybody else verify that he said they plan on going with the 3 center model, or was he talking about at times against teams like Tampa?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Good News: Shero recognizes the strengths of the 3 center model and Tyler Kennedy, Malkin's recovery, and Shero's rational approach to Despres.

It's always all good news this early in the offseason, though. Let's just hope he doesn't change his mind about the three center thing.
Not sure if it was a mistake or not, but the interview was with Bylsma and not Shero.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Not sure if it was a mistake or not, but the interview was with Bylsma and not Shero.
Considering their shared love for experienced veterans, speed, and grinders, it's easy to get confused.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Considering their shared love for experienced veterans, speed, and grinders, it's easy to get confused.

Well there could be worse things in the world than a coach and GM agreeing on how they want their team to be built.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
And winning?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
And winning?
Everyone who coaches or GMs in the NHL loves winning. Plus about 99% of the players (hi there, Nik Zherdev!).

I was only intending to make an observation, not to complain. For what it's worth, I share their love for fast players and experienced veterans, and filling the last two lines of a team with grinders is much better than the Craig Patrick approach.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Interesting that he would say he could put all 3 on the ice together...

I guess we would have Letestu, Jeffrey, or Adams available to put out there to center the next three shifts to give them a rest.
I don't think he necessarily means all 3 at once, but different combinations of the 3. Though I have seen all three on the ice for a face-off at the end of a period before.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't think he necessarily means all 3 at once, but different combinations of the 3. Though I have seen all three on the ice for a face-off at the end of a period before.
They'd be better off putting Crosby, Adams and Kennedy out there if they want to win a faceoff

Old
06-17-2011, 09:11 AM
JTG

Anyone know if The Fan puts up podcasts?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I thought so too, I miss Gonch!
I think it says alot about Gonch to call with the unsolicited info. [Obligatory HF class reference!]

Quote:
Hmmm, so if Kennedy stays on Staal's line then we still need two Top 6 RWs??? If that's the case I'll be surprised if Dupuis isn't brought back to play with Sid.
I took it as three ways:

At least one RW is returning/being brought in.

The same way he says the 3 centers will be on the ice together at times, when holding the lead in the 3rd period, he won't hesitate to reunite Cooke-Staal-Kennedy, as he says, against an Ovechkin, to pin the opposition in their end.

Big plans for Dustin Jeffrey playing RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
No offense, this has been misinterpreted a million times. Can anybody else verify that he said they plan on going with the 3 center model, or was he talking about at times against teams like Tampa?
I can't remember word for word, but he was asked what is his plan going into the fall, if all 3 centers are healthy. His response was they'll all play center. Followed by "that's not to say there won't be times Geno is with Sid or Geno with Staal...or maybe all 3 together"

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
JTG

Quote:
That's how I took it too. I'll be making 3C model lineups and putting Dupuis next to Sid. Ugh

I hope with Geno's new found commitment to getting in shape, he also uses that same commitment to better his faceoff ability.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Geno looks fitter and stronger than he can ever remember, and has been rehabbing hard.
Awesome!

Quote:
The plan is to use the 3 center model.
Any scenario where Malkin is a center first and foremost is most welcome.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Any scenario where Malkin is a center first and foremost is most welcome.
Agreed 100%, everything stated by the OP is great news!

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Great to hear from the coach, himself, that they'll be going with both Malkin and Staal at center, the majority of the time.

Also... very encouraging to hear about Crosby and especially Malkin's progress.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Very encouraging to hear about Malkin and Crosby's recovery, looking forward to seeing them in action again.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Thanks for posting this.

Good to hear about Geno and Sid.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
WVP

Quote:
I think it says alot about Gonch to call with the unsolicited info. [Obligatory HF class reference!]

I took it as three ways:

At least one RW is returning/being brought in.

The same way he says the 3 centers will be on the ice together at times, when holding the lead in the 3rd period, he won't hesitate to reunite Cooke-Staal-Kennedy, as he says, against an Ovechkin, to pin the opposition in their end.

Big plans for Dustin Jeffrey playing RW

I can't remember word for word, but he was asked what is his plan going into the fall, if all 3 centers are healthy. His response was they'll all play center. Followed by "that's not to say there won't be times Geno is with Sid or Geno with Staal...or maybe all 3 together"
Tangradi and Jeffrey able to contribute as RW'ers in the top 9 would really shore up some things. Can mix and match along with Kennedy based on chemistry with the centers.

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Malkin - Tangradi
Cooke - Staal - Jeffrey
Rupp - Vitale - Adams
Johnson

Johnson might get Jeffrey's spot until he returns from injury. I think out of Jeffrey, Tangradi and Johnson - Jeffrey's the surefire NHL'er as of June 17th. That's a lot of youth which we really haven't seen in the Shero era, but these guys are all about ready to contribute and done marinating in the A.

Of course one top 6 winger signing changes all of this.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Tangradi and Jeffrey able to contribute as RW'ers in the top 9 would really shore up some things. Can mix and match along with Kennedy based on chemistry with the centers.

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Malkin - Tangradi
Cooke - Staal - Jeffrey
Rupp - Vitale - Adams
Johnson

Johnson might get Jeffrey's spot until he returns from injury. I think out of Jeffrey, Tangradi and Johnson - Jeffrey's the surefire NHL'er as of June 17th. That's a lot of youth which we really haven't seen in the Shero era, but these guys are all about ready to contribute and done marinating in the A.

Of course one top 6 winger signing changes all of this.
This is the best forward lineup I've seen anyone make using only internal options. Why does everyone else seem to want Jeffrey or Tangradi to play with Crosby, or Letestu to center the fourth line, or Adams in the press box, or something else stupid like that?

Nice to have some mods with common sense