HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers CANNOT buy out Drury

Old
06-17-2011, 08:32 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Yeah, trade Drury for Gomez, and the buy Gomez out. It's a win-win del for MTL and NYR.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Redden for Gomez

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
I have a hard time believing a player will walk away from $7 million. You might as of called Wade Redden to terminate his contract.
Chris Drury is not Wade Redden. Regardless on his play on the ice this previous season, Drury is still one of the most stand-up guys you'd find. One would hope that if it's career-ending, he would end his career or waive his NMC.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Surely there must be some kind of nudge-nudge-wink-wink accommodation they can work out? Drury takes the buyout money, gets some other cushy job in some arm of the organization to make up for the 1/3 of his $5M that he'd lose out on, and the Rangers get the up-front cap room back?

That said, they only get $3.3M in cap room back if they buy out Drury... if they can get through the summer and LTIR him in the fall and in a fashion get the whole $7M back without taking any hit next season either, maybe that could be advantageous too. I wonder if any free agents will hang around until October? Any big RFA's who could sign late? Etc?

Doesn't seem like it has to be a crippling issue. I bet there's a 40-page thread on the Rangers board that I haven't read yet which answers all these questions.
The problem with doing a nudge-nudge-wink-wink type deal is that it's directly against the CBA. If the NHL found out that's what the deal was the Rangers would be penalized very heavily (probably several draft picks and millions off the cap).

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Redden for Gomez
That could work to.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Levitate

Also, the problem with LTIR is usually that you have to ditch the salary you are using to replace the player with once that player comes back. If the player isn't coming back that year, then it's not a huge deal...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Fourier

To Edmonton: Drury and the 15th
To NYR: Souray and the 19th

The Rangers buyout Souray saving about $4.6M in cap space. The Oilers eat the $7M in cap space that Drury carries.

Of course Drury has a NMC, but if he is done it should not matter too much who pays him.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
To Edmonton: Drury and the 15th
To NYR: Souray and the 19th

The Rangers buyout Souray saying about $4.6M in cap space. The Oilers eat the $7M in cap space that Drury carries.

Of course Drury has a NMC, but if he is done it should not matter too much who pays him.
doesn't anyone not understand that you can't trade an injured player!

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
They will but you can't put someone on LTIR until the season starts.

Theoretically the Rangers could probably finagle something where they sign Richards and carry Drury and Redden into camp. Redden is sent down, along with other players who would otherwise be on the team but don't have to pass through waivers (McDonagh, Erixon, etc) in order to be in a situation so when the season starts, they can LTIR Drury and then call those other players back up.

But...freakin LTIR, I don't know exactly how it works and how you have to manipulate the cap numbers to make it most effective. But if it in theory works similarly to that, then that's probably what the Rangers will end up doing
The summer hit is determined by time spent in the NHL the previous season (for two way contracts). For one-ways the entire value is on the summer cap. I'm not sure the exact details of the Rags contracts but basically they'd have to fit all their NHL contracts under about $55 million (excluding Redden and Drury) and then rely on call ups who haven't played in the NHL for any remaining salary.

That's a lot of money tied up in players with no real NHL experience and might lead to a scary season

Old
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Sure you can.

There is nothing in the CBA preventing the trade of an injured player. And there have been many examples of this happening.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Yes you can trade an injured player. Why do you think there was such a to do about trading for Richards at the deadline? He was injured at the time

Old
06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Vitto79

It's rather confusing but in the end I think the Rangers are fine on the cap

Drury needs to just hang it up now if he is truly done playing and take his 5 million to hang out in the front office at MSG

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
The summer hit is determined by time spent in the NHL the previous season (for two way contracts). For one-ways the entire value is on the summer cap. I'm not sure the exact details of the Rags contracts but basically they'd have to fit all their NHL contracts under about $55 million (excluding Redden and Drury) and then rely on call ups who haven't played in the NHL for any remaining salary.

That's a lot of money tied up in players with no real NHL experience and might lead to a scary season
Ahh, got it. So basically they wouldn't be able to save space with guys like McDonagh and Stepan, but could with someone like Erixon.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
RogerRoeper*

That really screws the Rangers plans.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
It's rather confusing but in the end I think the Rangers are fine on the cap

Drury needs to just hang it up now if he is truly done playing and take his 5 million to hang out in the front office at MSG
If Drury retired and was given a $5M front office job, the Rangers would be hit with cap circumvention for sure!

Old
06-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yes you can trade an injured player. Why do you think there was such a to do about trading for Richards at the deadline? He was injured at the time
The trade deadline is an exception, I recall Burke saying that trades have to go through a physical but on trade deadline day, if the player played the day before, you have to have health reports on the players before you acquire them. That's what I heard. Besides, no one's going to be stupid to take Drury's contract. They're lucky enough they got rid of Gomez.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
The trade deadline is an exception, I recall Burke saying that trades have to go through a physical but on trade deadline day, if the player played the day before, you have to have health reports on the players before you acquire them. That's what I heard. Besides, no one's going to be stupid to take Drury's contract. They're lucky enough they got rid of Gomez.
I don't think you're right about this...remember when NJ traded Malakhov to SJ? He hadn't played in over a year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
All the Rangers need to do is to buyout Wolski to be in essentially the exact same position they were going to be had they bought out Drury.

This really isn't as doom and gloom as some people make it seem. At worst they're ~$1m worse off regarding next year's cap, but would have an LTIR exemption if they ended up exceeding the cap during the season (ie: via early-mid season or deadline acquisition).

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think you're right about this...remember when NJ traded Malakhov to SJ? He hadn't played in over a year.
I think he might have actually been retired, but his cap hit counted because it was a 35+ contract?

Or maybe he never actually retired, but was injured, I can't even remember.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
I'm really not sure then. I just don't recall many cases that players with big contracts get moved only to buy them out. I don't Wolski's getting bought if and especially if they let the likes of Prospal etc to walk.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Fourier

Quote:
There is nothing that prevents the trading of an injured player if the injury is disclosed. The issue you are talking about is in the case that the injury was not known by the acquiring team at the time the trade was made.

Old
06-17-2011, 08:56 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Interesting to say the least, since their offseason seemed to be predicated around doing just that.

they can force him to retire and have insurance cover it and it will not count against the cap

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
they can force him to retire and have insurance cover it and it will not count against the cap
They can't force him to retire, he'd have to do that on his own.

It'd be nice if he does retire, but he doesn't get as much money doing that as far as I can tell

Old
06-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Jim Morrison

If he retires, he does get a 4 million insurance check, so he wouldn't be completely left out to dry. Rangers will definitely file grievance anyways.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
If only you could force players to retire...Nashville might not be in a bind with two more years of Matthew Lombardi at 3.5 million, despite possibly never playing again.

But alas, you can't do that.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
1.) How would they force him to retire?
2.) If he retires, the money is left on the table and the contract is null and void. Insurance wouldn't have anything to cover.

By retiring Drury is giving up $5 million. By pretending he's not injured and accepting a buyout, he's giving up 1.66M