HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Seth Ambroz - U of Minnesota, Big10 (2011, 128th overall, Columbus)

Old
04-03-2011, 10:32 AM
LiffLaff
Crazy? Me?

vCash: 500
Seth Ambroz

What can you guys tell me about him? What kind of production does he project to have at the nhl level? Why has he gone from a top 5 pick in the start of the year, to a 2nd rounder?

LiffLaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:16 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

This.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=753482

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
LiffLaff
Crazy? Me?

Thanks

LiffLaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2011, 12:35 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
depends on the teams picking in the top 15 to be honest. I take these draft rankings with a grain of salt anyway, but with Ambroz it has been a frustrating year as the kid was a top 5 pick barely 5-6 months ago.

He just hasnt tore up the USHL like expected by some, but imo, that was unfair to begin with. Ambroz is STILL the youngest player on his team, and STILL plays against competition 2-3 years older then him. He is at a p.p.g pace, and is becoming more involved with the overall team game instead of just being a one-dimensional offensive player. His stats have suffered for this, but his overall game has improved if that makes sense. Think Mike Modano and how he changed his game.

This kid is a 6'3 200lb power forward, that has very nice hands and solid vision as well. His skating is his downside currently, but being such a big young kid, you have to expect that.

Ambroz is on pace to improve his scoring numbers from last year, and I would be absolutely shocked if he drops to the second round for this draft. Some scouting services focus too much on stats or skating issues, but real gm's and head scouts look at a player and project what he can become in a few years with work, and Ambroz is a very tempting player to project.

Ambroz plays much more physical then Saad, with a similar skillset imo. The real crime was Ambroz not playing for the University of Minnesota this year, because if he did we wouldnt be talking about this now.

NHL teams are smart (well some of them at least), they will snag this kid up fairly high. He is still a top 25 pick for what he has and what he can become. Top 10 is gone for him at this point, but he still has a very solid chance at the first round.
If that was the case in Feb, he obviously slowed down in the last few months of the season. Year over year, his production was essentially flat.

PHP Code:
Season    Team    League        GP    G    A    TP    PIM            Postseason    GP    G    A    TP    PIM 
-2009     Omaha Lancers     USHL    60    14    17    31    88    |     Playoffs    3    0    0    0    2 
-2010     Omaha Lancers     USHL    56    22    27    49    118    |     Playoffs    8    4    2    6    8 
-2011     Omaha Lancers      USHL    56    24    22    46    89    |     Playoffs    3    2    0    2    4 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix29 View Post
As someone who has seen alot of Seth Ambroz over the last 3 years in the USHL... I'm disappointed to say the least.

I said in another thread awhile back, that if he did not dominate the USHL this season, it would be a failure. I'm sticking by those words.

I don't care that he's still one of the youngest (or the youngest) players with the Lancers. He's got monsterous size, wears a letter and has been in the league for 3 YEARS! Also take into account that it's his draft year. Do you need anymore motivation than that?

I don't think he did enough in the offseason to prepare himself for this very important season in his hockey career. I've heard people say his game is rounding out. Which fine, I can agree with that. But his skating is sub-par, and for being the mass of a human being that he is, he should not be losing the corners that he does. But more than anything, his skating definately needed to be worked on... and I don't see an improvement in that department.

Maybe I'm being too overly critical. There's chance to salvage his draft year still. Clear-headed determination would do him well. Especially in those corner battles.
Unfortunately, its sounds like the opposite happened. The physically imposing Ambroz does have the skill base though, as he demonstrated for the U17 USDP Team in 2009-10, scoring 5 goals in only 3 games.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Whether he's using cliche or not I am not entirely sure, but Ambroz wasn't too disappointed in his year:

Quote:
"It went pretty well. We had a pretty different team this year in that the first two years I was in Omaha we had a real offensive team and this year, my third year, we really had to rely more on defense to win hockey games, but we had the offensive ability to score goals. I took on more a leadership role which is great for my development as well."
http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wor...-in-minnesota/

Old
06-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

These hits in the video look aweful! No power, no drive at all!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Felix29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Whether he's using cliche or not I am not entirely sure, but Ambroz wasn't too disappointed in his year:

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wor...-in-minnesota/
"Ive done all I can do to show what I got and now Ive just got to sit and wait and hope my name gets called" -Seth Ambroz

If this is a true statement, as an NHL team, I don't touch him [maybe take a flier in the later rounds. But nothing higher than a 4th]. His skating has clearly not been worked on. Not worth the hype and has not lived up to expectations. Numbers have plateaued and he's heading into a situation at Minnesota where if that team doesn't drastically turn things around in 2011-12, there's going to be major changes and turmoil.

Felix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
tfong

Looks like a no heart kid if he thinks that's the best he can do. No ambition at all.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix29 View Post
"Ive done all I can do to show what I got and now Ive just got to sit and wait and hope my name gets called" -Seth Ambroz

If this is a true statement, as an NHL team, I don't touch him [maybe take a flier in the later rounds. But nothing higher than a 4th]. His skating has clearly not been worked on. Not worth the hype and has not lived up to expectations. Numbers have plateaued and he's heading into a situation at Minnesota where if that team doesn't drastically turn things around in 2011-12, there's going to be major changes and turmoil.
Seriously, he was expected to dominate last season and he wasn't even the best player on the team, let alone the league.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I used to defend Ambroz quite a bit when I thought he was getting piled on unfairly due to elevated expectations, but those quotes make you wonder how much he has going on upstairs. If he doesn't kill it in the interviews, it's very easy to see him dropping out of the 2nd.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
I loved redline's report on him. "Drop the fork and hire a skating coach". Lol.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:19 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I used to defend Ambroz quite a bit when I thought he was getting piled on unfairly due to elevated expectations, but those quotes make you wonder how much he has going on upstairs. If he doesn't kill it in the interviews, it's very easy to see him dropping out of the 2nd.
He's a nice kid, but he's got no fire. People see him dropping the gloves once or twice and see his size without watching him play and think, man this kid is tough!!! When honestly that can't be further from the truth.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Reminding me and more of Pat Maroon.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Why is Seth Ambroz being labelled as a top prospect?

Why is Ambroz parading around with RNH and the rest, touring the Mall of America, getting his picture taken with the real top prospects, being a part of the top prospect presser? What the hell?

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Maybe Ambroz knows something you don't?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
GDU

he's a part of tsns be a star for a day program...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=174...ra=pd&t=h&z=10

06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

because he's a top prospect and defensively better than half the guys there anyway

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Isn't Ambroz from Minnesota?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
says the guy who's watched ambroz all of 10 times via youtube

adorable
Dude he is going to be a bust.... THN compared him to Hugh Jessiman... That isn't good.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Isn't Ambroz from Minnesota?
Yes.

"Ambroz, a native of New Prague, lives just 45 minutes away from the Mall. He was glad to be given an opportunity to spend the afternoon with fellow prospects prior to the Draft." - Prospects enjoy a day of fun before Draft - NHL.com

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 01:00 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Dude he is going to be a bust.... THN compared him to Hugh Jessiman... That isn't good.
THN at one point compared Gilbert Brule to Brad Richards, your point?

Ambroz at worst will be a 3rd line winger

book it and quote my post in 3 years

Old
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsigh View Post
THN at one point compared Gilbert Brule to Brad Richards, your point?

Ambroz at worst will be a 3rd line winger

book it and quote my post in 3 years

Omaha make trips to Georgia I'm not aware of? At worst? This kid won't cut it in the ECHL. I would honestly say at best, he's probably a second liner on an average team. He will never be a "go-to" guy on any contender. Kid was great when he was so much bigger and stronger than everyone, then...when the kids he played against were his size, it wasn't even close to the same.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
Isn't Ambroz an ******* though?
Guy had a letter on his jersey for the better half of 2 seasons, who knows

perhaps that's what the A was for.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
Isn't Ambroz an ******* though?
I'm assuming this is some sort of negative word...

So, no. Seth is actually a pretty nice kid. Probably a bit too nice and easygoing actually.