HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers CANNOT buy out Drury

Old
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I'm not sure if you got the point of the post.

No one is claiming anything about burying the deal. The issue is a potential buyout. Brooks claim is that due to an existing injury a buyout is not possible.

This has nothing to do with his NMC and sending him to the minors.
I misread the thread title - and jumped to conclussion. My bad! You read the post quoted the post as I was deleting it.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
There is nothing that prevents the trading of an injured player if the injury is disclosed. The issue you are talking about is in the case that the injury was not known by the acquiring team at the time the trade was made.
We all need to remember that Drury has a NMC. Thus, he will have to accept a trade to another team, and thus team would have to be willing to take on his salary.

If he doesn't intend on playing, then I can assume the NMC isn't a large sticking point. Though, it is now in his hands.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Unless a very smart GM with a low cap hit wants to take Drury off Sather's hands for a significant asset.

ie..

To Phoenix (and he's a smart GM with ties to the Rangers)

Drury
Rangers 1st 2012

To Rangers

Phoenix 6th 2011
If he's smart he won't make that deal..Odds are pretty good the Rags end up in the playoffs next year again and could do well, for all we know. Why take Drury's contract AND give up a 6th for a possible LOWER draft next year? Phoenix would be better off drafting 6th overall THIS year...If the Rangers want cap relief they're the ones that should be adding something better....

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

He will NOT retire i can be sure of that.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I find it laughable that Ranger fans think that Drury owes them anything. He doesn't.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
If he's smart he won't make that deal..Odds are pretty good the Rags end up in the playoffs next year again and could do well, for all we know. Why take Drury's contract AND give up a 6th for a possible LOWER draft next year? Phoenix would be better off drafting 6th overall THIS year...If the Rangers want cap relief they're the ones that should be adding something better....
I think that's supposed to mean a 6th round pick

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
bernmeister

I'm not sure but I think if they offer Drury something he might be able to get without what could be construed as, but which is not provable to be, a sweetheart deal, I don't think they get hit with cap circumvention, especially since it is clear that Drury is legit no question now confirmed too injured to play.

So,...
Drury retires. Takes a half mil consulting position, year to year, no strings attached.
It's a little high for a consultant but not crazy too high he might not get it elsewhere.
They give him half a mil per for 20 years = $10mil golden parachute.

There is no quid pro quo because it's not a firm 20 year deal. Drury is taking it on faith he will get renewed.

In any event it seems a problem for now but LTIR if no retirement does get rid of the cap effect AFTER the summer, if I understood it all.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I don't think you're right about this...remember when NJ traded Malakhov to SJ? He hadn't played in over a year.
Malakhov wasn't injured. He had refused to report. If he hadn't signed a 35+ contract, the Devils would have just terminated the contract, but because he had even if they terminated it the cap hit would have stuck.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think that's supposed to mean a 6th round pick
Gotcha...jumped to fast..Makes sense from that perspective..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I think Vancouver was in this situation last year when they had to trade off their D man but luckily Sami Salo got hurt which gave Vancouver cap space.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Good luck finding something worth spending that money on in September. If I was a Rangers fan I'd probably be worried knowing Sather's history.
Well, there's the dude in your avatar who would much rather be in New York than Toronto. And then there's Kevin Bieksa. Realistically, that's 13 million already.

You don't need great players to fill out the other 12 million with the 7 other roster holes.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Well, there's the dude in your avatar who would much rather be in New York than Toronto. And then there's Kevin Bieksa. Realistically, that's 13 million already.

You don't need great players to fill out the other 12 million with the 7 other roster holes.
Did Brad tell you that? Or do you make stuff up from unreliable sources or your you know what.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
Did Brad tell you that? Or do you make stuff up from unreliable sources or your you know what.
It's New York. And it's Toronto.

And didn't he smirk off the notion of Toronto earlier in the year? And don't we kind of have many reasonable sources that tie to him New York?

Strikes me as delusional for TO fans to think they can win a bidding war with the Rangers.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
bernmeister

Let's not forget, if we do the cheap buy out with Wolski,
move Girardi and rely on, at minimum Erixon and MDZ, that's not huge but its enough of a a nice chunk of change to help get through the summer. Girardi is a reasonable #, but Erixon's ELC must be less.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:

And didn't he smirk off the notion of Toronto earlier in the year? And don't we kind of have many reasonable sources that tie to him New York?

Strikes me as delusional for TO fans to think they can win a bidding war with the Rangers.
No he didn't. He said Toronto is a great place to play but we haven't crossed that bridge yet. Ya, Big rich Rangers trying to think they're the best and can just buy players because they're the Rangers. I'm not saying he's coming here, but you guys are just as arrogant as Vancouver fans.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
move Girardi and rely on, at minimum Erixon and MDZ, that's not huge but its enough of a a nice chunk of change to help get through the summer. Girardi is a reasonable #, but Erixon's ELC must be less.
Again, you can go over the cap in the summer by 10%.

If it's 61.5 million, you can spend 67.65 million in the summer. Only when your roster is finalized in the fall do you have to adhere to the 61.5 million cap, and then you can put Drury on LTIR.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
EdAVSfan

I would like to just do a recap of the situation, to make sure i have everything correct. Let me know if im wrong somewhere.

- The rangers cant buy out Drury because of the injury status.
- If Drury retires, he loses out on the 5M hes owed
- If he 'plays' out the contract, insurance pays 4M and the Rags pay 1M

The rangers can only put Drury on LTIR once the season starts. The rangers can only go over the cap by 10% in the offseason. However, Drury and Redden's contract are part of the cap hit until the season starts. So, the rangers have to spend 13.5M less than the cap (drury 7 + redden 6.5) until the season starts.

BUT

If they can spend Drury's full cap hit 7.05M EXACTLY over the cap, which would mean a cap of 69.5M before the season starts, they can have Drury on LTIR immediately.

So one big quick assumption...

Its either the Rangers have 62.5M in cap, including redden and Drury's contracts (which are 13.5) OR the Rags have to spend EXACTLY 69.255M before the season starts?

Right or wrong?

Wow!

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Rinzler

Quote:

Are you referring to the speculative article from Steve Simmons where someone supposedly close to Richards said he wasn't interested in Toronto? Believe that if you like, I think a player like that wouldn't announce to the world that kind of thing when he's about to be unemployed. Especially when Toronto has the most cap space to divert for his services.

And yes, TO can easily beat anyone in a bidding war if they wanted to.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Kamal007
God Level

vCash: 50
Quote:

lol oh you. That's the one thing we can win against New York, we can easily out bid them.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:43 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
No he didn't. He said Toronto is a great place to play but we haven't crossed that bridge yet. Ya, Big rich Rangers trying to think they're the best and can just buy players because they're the Rangers. I'm not saying he's coming here, but you guys are just as arrogant as Vancouver fans.
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/2/...erested-report

When asked about Toronto, he apparently said nothing but shook his head.

What I was talking about when I said "smirking off Toronto".

He has ties to New York, will likely get as big of an offer and while Toronto is a nice city, a quieter life in a better City is a hard factor to ignore.

Honestly? Can't see him going anywhere else, except maybe Tampa - but why would they want another expensive C on the verge of Stamkos' new contract.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
lol oh you. That's the one thing we can win against New York, we can easily out bid them.
As mentioned above, cap space is not an issue for them this summer. With or without Drury's buyout.

And Burke isn't nearly as talented at dodging big salaries or as liberal at handing them out as Glen Sather.

Old
rafterman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post

...BUT

If they can spend Drury's full cap hit 7.05M EXACTLY over the cap, which would mean a cap of 69.5M before the season starts, they can have Drury on LTIR immediately.

Right or wrong?

Wow!
Wrong. Drury cannot go on LTIR until the season starts, period. So they can't 'replace' his salary until that point.

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
99 steps
to the top

Perhaps Drury agrees to waive his NMC, they send him to minors, he "reports," and collects his $5M from the beach?

Problem solved?

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Girardi isn't getting traded, no matter how many times you post it. And expecting a 20 year old rookie to play 24+ minutes a game is ridiculous. Expecting him to be ready to play even top 4 minutes is expecting too much.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:45 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
lol

Salary cap? And you are calling people delusional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
Wrong. Drury cannot go on LTIR until the season starts, period. So they can't 'replace' his salary until that point.
Rangers fans are grasping at straws now

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote