HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Islanders 5th Overall in play

Old
06-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Actually, almost half the teams in the top 10 have said to be willing to hear offers. The supply is greater this year. Also, a hockey trade market is not a financial trade market. There are a lot more things to consider than just simple supply and demand, as the value of anything in hockey is left to the subjective views of 30 GMs and their scouts. And those views are often opposite from what fans and media think.
We hear that every year. I doubt there has ever been a GM drafting top 5 who would hang up the phone if somebody called about the pick...even Shero with Crosby.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
If we would ever get the 5th with that package (Pal excluded), I'd try to trade up again to get Huberdeau. Although, I think the Isles would aim for Weber rather than for Gorges.
I doubt that they'd want Weber over Gorges, Gorges is a top pairing shutdown D, he's a valuable asset and he won't be overpaid. He would a major need for the Islanders, Weber on the other hand they don't really need as they have a decent amount of puck movers in the org and in the minors, Streit, De haan...

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We hear that every year. I doubt there has ever been a GM drafting top 5 who would hang up the phone if somebody called about the pick...even Shero with Crosby.
And it comes back to what I said about the GM's subjective view of the value, whether it's the draft pick vs strenght of draft, or the value of a player, or what he actually needs, for what he has to do with his team, depending on many different situations (tight on $, too many players of one sort, too close to the cap, a certain other player who is highly valued and sought...).

Supply and demand plays a part, but it's not as related to the outcome as it is in financial models.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
I doubt that they'd want Weber over Gorges, Gorges is a top pairing shutdown D, he's a valuable asset and he won't be overpaid. He would a major need for the Islanders, Weber on the other hand they don't really need as they have a decent amount of puck movers in the org and in the minors, Streit, De haan...
You might be right about Weber vs Gorges, although I don't believe Gorges is a permanent top pairing shutdown D. His stats on the first pairing this year weren't good. They were in the playoffs, and he can be effective on replacement stints, but he's already hardly a permanent top 4, he's nowhere near top pairing. Gorges' stats would look awful if he spent an entire season on the top pairing. He'd get overspent IMO, as he's constantly showed that in the long run, he always does get overspent when he plays top pairing. He might turn a page and be able to take the workload, but it hasn't been done yet on a consistent basis. He's the perfect 4-5 th Dman, not a top pairing D. Same for Gill. Playing top 4 all season long will get him overspent like it did this year.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:58 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I think that they could Target a guy like Pleks (Doubtful) Or cammy

Cammy fits the Bill and we could pick up a franchise guy in Huberdeau or Couturier.
I don't see how those two can be considered "franchise" players at this point. They have the potential to be good, even very good players, but not franchise players which tends to be a word that is thrown around to much these days.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Isn't that how you rebuild?
No. That is the opposite of rebuilding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Draft, and use your draft picks for some established players when possible. I don't see how drafting low year after year is going to help if you have no other tools to help the young players.
Drafting low isn't going to help you. That's why you want to draft high.

When you have a top five pick and you're nowhere near a contender you don't trade it away. You use it to build your core for the future. If you want vets, you can go get some older less expensive guys who've been around to help bring your top picks along for the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I agree. They have a bunch of really good young talent but no veteran stars to complement them. This is a good spot to get a top player. I f i were them, i would go looking for a top end d-man. They already proved last year that they could score goals--defense is their big problem.
They've got Tavares to build around... wouldn't it make sense to get another young player that could develop along with him? Why deal away your draft picks to get a veteran who isn't going to be good enough to help you win this year anyway? Shouldn't you try to build a team that might actually be good enough to win something someday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
Some people in this thread are certifiably insane. Only on HF Boards is an unknown draft pick more valuable than proven players.
Insane?

Let me tell you about insane. The Islanders are insane.

Back in the 90s they had more top picks than anyone and dealt them all away for vets. Here are some of the picks/prospects they dealt away...

Chara, Spezza, Luongo, Redden, McCabe, Jokinen, Bertuzzi...

Yeah, dealing away picks is really the way to build a winner. Just ask the Leafs.
Quote:
High draft picks are also a way to sell fans and conjure up a level of excitement for teams at the basement of the league.

On the flip side, it makes no sense for a team built to win now to trade proven assets for a pick that is not guaranteed to be anything.

Either way you cut it, the notion of trading Cammy or Plecks for this pick is absurd... especially since it's only the 5th pick in a relatively average draft year.
If it's a bad draft year, then that's one thing. But if there's a player there who our scouts think has star potential then yeah, we should trade for that guy. Maybe not Cammy but we should do what we could to get that pick. We've needed a star center forever and they're impossible to get. If there's a guy in this year's draft who was available at that spot we should be all over it.

Believe it or not, draft picks become good players one day. That's why Sam Pollock used to actually trade vets for them. And it's a big reason why he's considered the greatest GM of all time.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 06-17-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Some people in this thread are certifiably insane. Only on HF Boards is an unknown draft pick more valuable than proven players.
A guy like Cammalleri is not gonna make us better on the long run. He's not gonna turn into an elite guy overnight. I know it's a gamble but a first pick like Huberdeau could do that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He may not have, but Craig Patrick probably did.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote