HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Even Drury's injuries are clutch.
I lold. Good job sir!

Staals Eye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
OK, so you would walk away from $10-$20k that your company would have to pay you, because it would make the company stronger? Yeah, right.
If it meant screwing over my friends that still work there? Yes. In our little world, we don't have to worry about things like that. Taking the money isn't likely to affect our coworkers one way or another. But Drury not accepting the buyout adversely affects the team. It makes it more difficult for management to improve the team and makes it harder for the team to win. You would do that to your friends for 10-20K that you don't even need?

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The Rangers definitely knew about it...

I do think this is something that's just going through the process at the moment and it's not like a big revelation at this point where Drury suddenly sprung it on them

This might also be why Wolski was reportedly a "maybe" on getting bought out...it depends on what happens with Drury, etc. The Rangers have likely been planning with this for a long time now.
Exactly...the Rangers had to know this was a possibility. IMO, a Wolski looks all the more certain now.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If they elect arbitration, that won't be an option. Plus, their QO's will still count against the summer cap, so we wouldn't be saving as much, and they'd still be able to sign an offer sheet. Too risky. Get them signed.
forgot about the QO counting so it doesn't save that much...the rest of it are non-issues imo if the rfas agree to helping you out this way.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
The Iceman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2922738

Sather plays because I had a bad day in the background whenever he thinks back to this.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Being left with 9 mil, the 10% cap cushion allows us to go up to 15-16 mil, buy out Wolski, that gives us about 19 mil. RFA's combined sign for about 11-12 mil, that leaves us with the rest to sign Richards. Am I doing the math right? Basically Drury is ****ing this team over if he doesn't retire. There are 22 other guys in the locker room Drury....

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
So does this mean our 22 mil in cap space turns into 9 mil because of Drury and Redden...

No, because the summer cap space would be $28.5 million...why do people continue to misunderstand this point?

Old
06-17-2011, 10:00 AM
CM PUNK

with regards to the summer cap...here is a post from RB from the salary cap thread. his numbers are usually right so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Summer Cap

Salaries and bonuses are pro-rated for entry level contracts based on days on NHL roster.

Gaborik $7.5M
Drury $7.05M
Wolski $3.8M
Avery $1.9375M
Stepan $875k
Prust $800k
Christensen $925k
Zuccarello(100 days) $940,860

Staal $3.975M
Girardi $3.325M
MDZ(118) $689,919
McD (98) $684,946
Redden $6.5M

Lundqvist $6.875M
Biron $875K

Signed two way contracts
Grachev(16) $70,251
Newbury(34) $93,683
Talbot(1) $4,839

Group II free agents with two way deals. NHL days from the previous season count.

Weise spent 25 days on the NHL roster. His QO is $605,000 NHL in a two way deal. The Rangers usually offer more AHL money for the player accepting the NHL minimum which is $525,000 for 11-12.

The Rangers have Weise, Dupont(6) and Johnson(40) as group IIs with possible cap holds. Are the Rangers going to qualify Dupont and Johnson? Both of them will be group 6 UFA's next summer. Johnson carries a $113K summer cap number. Not really sure why the Rangers would re-sign Johnson.

For some reason,the Rangers are going to qualify Mitchell who has a 1 way contract. He is eligible for a 2 way QO but he spent 126 days on the Leafs last season. Not much difference between a 1 way deal for $525k or a 2 way deal with $761,250 NHL. $515,685 cap number.

http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1363

Kolarik(6)is a group 6. He gets a two way SPC,those 6 days count.

http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1361

Weise and Kolarik are re-signed for $525,000 NHL/$70,000 AHL.

Weise $70,564
Kolarik $16,935

Mitchell $525,000 one way

Grachev,Newbury,Talbot,Weise,Kolarik and Mitchell account for $781,272.

Total-$47,534,497

$63,500,000 upper limit. Bill Daly's number. $69,850,000 summer cap upper limit

Rangers have $22,315,503 in space

The Rangers will take a cap penalty for next season. Performance bonuses.

The 10% bump covers $6.35M of Redden's $6.5M.

The Rangers could free up money buying out Wolski($466,667 cap hit),Avery($604,167 cap hit)or Drury($3,716,667 cap hit).

If someone wants to make a chart and have one of the mods put it on the first page,go ahead.
so with a 63.5 mil cap, we'd have 22.3 mil in space...this does not include QO for RFAs though.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:00 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
That's just you...

Its laughable to me that people think Drury owes the Rangers something but doesn't owe his family the extra earnings..

Who the heck is anybody on here to tell somebody to walk away from money for the good of the team that was kicking him out?

This thread has made me laugh out loud 3 times already...Some of these childish reactions are downright pathetic..
Kicking him out, with a check in hand for 3.3 million. AND the ability to re-up with another team for a portion the difference should he suddenly find himself healthy enough to contribute to another team in January 2012?

Poor him, he's only made 33.3 Million over the last 4 sesons....

He's played for 3.5 years, effectively for 2.5 years, he's going to make WITH the buyout 95% of the contracted 35 million.

I'm not asking him to forego all of the money he was due this season, just accept the buyout and move the fudge on.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No, because the summer cap space would be $28.5 million...why do people continue to misunderstand this point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
with regards to the summer cap...here is a post from RB from the salary cap thread. his numbers are usually right so:

so with a 63.5 mil cap, we'd have 22.3 mil in space...this does not include QO for RFAs though.
So... which one of you are right? With Drury and Redden counting against the Cap, how much cap space will we have with a 62.5 mil cap ceiling? THAT IS ALL I WANT TO KNOW, I don't need the numbers, just that exact number.

Old
OverTheCap

It's almost like karma for Sather... "sorry, you can't just buyout/waive/trade all of your bad contracts." Both Redden and Drury will potentially suck up cap space this summer, and they won't even play on the team. Despite what people say, Sather can't always make bad contracts disappear.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billionaire Bot View Post
What's the name of that baseball player who retired because he felt he wasn't living up to his contract, and how much more money than $1.7 million did he end up giving up?
Gil Meche.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
If it meant screwing over my friends that still work there? Yes. In our little world, we don't have to worry about things like that. Taking the money isn't likely to affect our coworkers one way or another. But Drury not accepting the buyout adversely affects the team. It makes it more difficult for management to improve the team and makes it harder for the team to win. You would do that to your friends for 10-20K that you don't even need?
If you're referring to Drury, you cannot make the assumption that he 'doesn't even need' the $1.67 million. Just as I don't know you, you don't know Drury.

Keep in mind that Drury's days of large contracts are now over, and they're over for the rest of his life. This is it.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's almost like karma for Sather... "sorry, you can't just buyout/waive/trade all of your bad contracts." Both Redden and Drury will potentially suck up cap space this summer, and they won't even play on the team. Despite what people say, Sather can't always make bad contracts disappear.

Well this is quite after the fact.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
What if Drury has no friends on the team just co-workers who are grown men and understand the business side of things?

What if Drurys family is telling him to take the money? Would you be more loyal to your gainfully employed friends or your family?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
So... which one of you are right? With Drury and Redden counting against the Cap, how much cap space will we have with a 62.5 mil cap ceiling? THAT IS ALL I WANT TO KNOW, I don't need the numbers, just that exact number.
The point is, the cap goes up $6.35 million in the summer, offsetting the hit of Redden. CM points out that even by adding both Drury and Redden, the Rangers would still have potentially $22.3 million cap space to add Richards and sign the RFAs...buying out drury would have allowed for more space.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
What if Drury has no friends on the team just co-workers who are grown men and understand the business side of things?

What if Drurys family is telling him to take the money? Would you be more loyal to your gainfully employed friends or your family?
And OTC is right... showing Uncle Glen that he can't make all of his problems magically disappear.

Bingo. The whole situation sucks, but this is a business, and everyone is looking out for their own interests here.

I'd love it if Drury would just retire, but that's somewhat unrealistic. And he has no legal or ethical responsibility to do so.

Sucks, but we're dealing with contracts, a CBA and millions of dollars. Just how it works.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
bscharf

Of course something like this had to happen.

Wolski skating with Underhill this summer.

The kid has so much potential that i think would have come out with he was LW with richards and gaborik.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't care if im the only one, but I feel for Drury.

Its always sad to see a classy, hard working, guy have to leave his playing career because of physical issues.

Best of luck to Chris and his family. And what ever Dru does in the future.

Thanks for being a Ranger. And im glad he got to play for his childhood team, the Rangers.
Agree 100%. Good stuff

NYRJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
The point is, the cap goes up $6.35 million in the summer, offsetting the hit of Redden. CM points out that even by adding both Drury and Redden, the Rangers would still have potentially $22.3 million cap space to add Richards and sign the RFAs...buying out drury would have allowed for more space.
Thanks... So I don't see why a Wolski buy-out is necessary. If we spend 12 mil on our RFA's (very likely number), we'll still have 10 mil for Richards. Unless Sather wants to add a veteran D man, I don't see the point in buying out Wolski, I personally would like to try him out with Richards and Gaborik if we sign Richards.

EDIT: and by skating with Barb, Wolski is showing effort and he has potential.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:14 AM
RegalRangers

I'm going to wait to see how this plays out before I judge Drury but I think it's easy to say that how Chris handles this will cement his legacy as a Ranger in my mind.

I've been sympathetic. I've been patient.

Do the right thing Chris. There's a ****ing "C" on your jersey. Please justify my constant defense of your entire disappointing career as a New York Ranger.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Theon
We are Groot

I sincerely hope he retires. *fingers crossed*

Theon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

You know, I always defended players with big $ contracts when people said "They are so greedy" because it was the GM who gave them those contracts, they werent going to say they want less money, but in this case, YES Drury is a greedy POS and thats all on him. You have your millions and millions and millions, walk away, do the right thing and leave with some respect.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Thanks... So I don't see why a Wolski buy-out is necessary. If we spend 12 mil on our RFA's (very likely number), we'll still have 10 mil for Richards. Unless Sather wants to add a veteran D man, I don't see the point in buying out Wolski, I personally would like to try him out with Richards and Gaborik if we sign Richards.
People are losing their minds over this for no reason. I think more of the teeth-gnashing is that the anti-Drury crowd wanted him gone right away.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
And I went on CapGeek and with the cap at 62.5 million and the bonus cushion, we'd have 16.3 mil with Drury and Redden, so please understand where we get 22.3 million.....