HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber on the verge of signing 2-year deal

Old
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Assuming Gorges and Markov re-sign....
Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Emelin
Diaz

PG has already stated that he believes that Emelin and Diaz are ready to play in the NHL. I think this signing makes Weber a very tradeable asset at the draft.

We have a logjam at D with too many of the same pieces and Weber is the logical choice to get back into the 2nd round or to move up in the 1st.

And FTR .......re-signing Wisniewski is a pipe dream
Where did PG say Diaz was ready to play in the NHL?

I doubt Weber is on the block, they see him as a key member of the defense going forward.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Bigger as in closer to Hamrlik in size.

I can count at least half a dozen very respected posters on this board who think the same thing. I'm not expecting anything, it's rather the logical step that needs to be taken. If you can't see that, you can facepalm all you want, I don't need your approval.
I know we need to get some size as well man. However, if you still expect Gauthier to get a rough dman and a big top 6 forward, you are delusional.

We have needed those types of players for the past 10 years. Last time I checked, our GM has failed us each year.

Don't expect anything different this year, otherwise you will be disappointed.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
I know we need to get some size as well man. However, if you still expect Gauthier to get a rough dman and a big top 6 forward, you are delusional.

We have needed those types of players for the past 10 years. Last time I checked, our GM has failed us each year.

Did they not just sign Gill and Yemelin the last 2-3 weeks? Those two bring size and physical play...thougfh Gill is not a huge hitter, his size, strength and reach are a big asset as Boston's top line will attest.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:57 AM
HomaridII

yanweber68 Yannick Weber
To all Canadiens Fans. Many of you heard the rumor of me resigning with the Habs. But there is nothing official, it's only a rumor.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
yanweber68 Yannick Weber
To all Canadiens Fans. Many of you heard the rumor of me resigning with the Habs. But there is nothing official, it's only a rumor.
Is that a reliable source?

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Technically it's not considered a credible source. I'll let this thread stay for now, hopefully a more credible source will report it.
Well Mathias Brunet is talking about it in his blog, but he uses the same source, which is a swiss newspaper by the way. You'd have to think though that he considers it a reliable source, he's usually pretty skeptical about rumours and all.

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/20...autres-annees/

Edit : oops!

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

I doubt Weber is on the block, they see him as a key member of the defense going forward.
When Diaz was signed Gauthier said that they felt that Diaz couldplay in the NHL this season. He said that they felt that the team needed more mobility on the backend........he wasn't talking about Hamilton.

Injuries aside, expect Diaz to start the season in Hamilton but he will be in Montreal by year's end.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:01 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
yanweber68 Yannick Weber
He precise there is nothing official meaning it's not done, but it almost is, imo.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

You don't know how the Habs management sees Weber.

Just because they signed him, doesn't necessarily mean that he is part of their future line-up.

FWIW......If they were planning on trading him at the draft, they would make darn sure that he was under contract in order to maximise their return.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Maybe trade the massively overrated Lucic for Weber's rights...that would be a coup.
Lucic for Shea Weber,(Dreamer)insert Supertramp song here.Not a chance in Hades that will ever happen.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:17 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
So you need to put words into my mouth so you can be right?

You're the one mentioning big top 6 forward. That's your own conclusion. If you ever read anything I've been saying over the last month, is that we need to complete our top 4 D, and add a unexpensive temporary top 6 F player (there are many that would leave us with quite enough to sign another D).

Habs ALWAYS spend to the cap in recent years. This year will be the same, and right now, with an expected 63,5 mil cap (Thrashers/Winnipeg transfer PC), and a foreseeable 21 player roster that would cost between a close estimate of 55-56,5 mil, which would leave us with a minimum 7 million to spend. A bigger top 4 D doesn't necessarily cost 4 mil +. Depends on what you're looking for, both for the top 4 D, and same for the top6-9 forward. Habs will certainly spend that money. How? Who knows? But the ones kidding themselves are the ones who are posting all those rosters with the present D squad with only Markov added.

Quote:
That's your interpretation. The kind of player I'm talking about are on the market every year, and we did indeed sign some of them in the last few years. When we needed a top 4 D, Habs went and signed Hamrlik and he has been extremely servicable. When Kovalev was gone, we needed a scorer, they got Cammy, who produced 29 points (16 goals) in 26 playoff games so far with us. Nowhere did I write that I'm expecting the best signing on the market. Sure, it'd be great to land Ehrhoff, but when I say top 4 D, there are A LOT of options out there, and not all of them come with a +4-5 mil price tag.

Quote:
I don't expect anything, I'm not like some little child that needs to tame his wishes/expectations to not get dissapointed. You can do that if you like that or need it.

As for myself, I check what happened in the short term past, look at the trends and tendencies and make my conclusions on what I think is needed.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 06-17-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Did they not just sign Gill and Yemelin the last 2-3 weeks? Those two bring size and physical play...thougfh Gill is not a huge hitter, his size, strength and reach are a big asset as Boston's top line will attest.
Gill is not a top 4 D, and Emelin is a huge ?

I rarely ever critic professional sports management, because of many reasons, yet if Gauthier would go into the season with those two options to get big on the top 4 (outside of Subban, who is big in presence, not actual size), I would seriously question what he is doing. He'd be taking a huge risk. Nevermind the fact he'll have about 7 mil to spend on the market.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:24 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Yanweber68
Thanks for all the positive reactions. I hope to get back to you soon with pleasant news.

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:26 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Yanweber68
Thanks for all the positive reactions. I hope to get back to you soon with pleasant news.
I find a lot of hockey players to come off as being pretty fake in things like twitter. Weber seems to be a genuinely nice kid.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
If Wiz is gone, it's gonna be because the Habs want a bigger option for the 2nd pairing, because they do have the space to sign Wiz or someone else.
What's your bigger option for the 2nd pairing?Don't see any as far as UFA is concerned. Only trades are left and if you happen to not be able to come to a trade, Wiz would have been the safest thing around that you have the advantage of talking to.

Thing is, maybe the Habs don't want a bigger option by not signing him....it may be not even in their hands. Wiz sees the openings throughout the league and the need for a player like him. Not surprising that he would want to see what's out there for him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I find a lot of hockey players to come off as being pretty fake in things like twitter. Weber seems to be a genuinely nice kid.
He certainly does .. I am glad he is staying with the organization, he showed great improvement last year .. here is hoping it continues

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
7th Player

Love the Kid and hope he's locked in. Believe he's got a great amount of potential, maybe top-4.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 133
Huge Weber fan, hopefully he stays with the organization. I'd love that. I think he's still got some great potential and hopefully he reaches that potential with the Habs.

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I have a feeling Weber reads HF.

PS: I still believe he has potential to be an impact player on the same level as Streit.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have a feeling Weber reads HF.

PS: I still believe he has potential to be an impact player on the same level as Streit.

Yannick, if you happen to fall on this, don't stop working!
You've got great upside and it will show up with great work ethic and by continually working to develop your game.

There, I feel better.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:48 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I love Weber and hope the rumours turn out to be true. He's made massive strides from when we first saw him. While still not very strong physically, he's vastly improved defensively. I fully trust him on the ice, whereas he uses to be slightly MAB-ish he was also dynamite as a forward in the playoffs, great forechecker, tons of energy and drive.

I think Weber can be and will be an important player for us, and I hope we don't trade him.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Weber is a Bruin killer, we need him!

Get rid of Spacek.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
katatoniak

Do you think he gets 2 millions for 2 years ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:01 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Assuming Gorges and Markov re-sign....
Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Emelin
Diaz

PG has already stated that he believes that Emelin and Diaz are ready to play in the NHL. I think this signing makes Weber a very tradeable asset at the draft.

We have a logjam at D with too many of the same pieces and Weber is the logical choice to get back into the 2nd round or to move up in the 1st.

And FTR .......re-signing Wisniewski is a pipe dream
That's the truth with only two legitimate top 4's in Subban and Markov who will have to get back into game shape. Gauthier's following the same pattern as Gainey so far. Have a bunch of 3rd pairing d-men and no support for the lone top 4 left standing when the other one goes down.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
PATCHESx67

Weber will be traded come draft day....Book It

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote