HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I'm going to wait to see how this plays out before I judge Drury but I think it's easy to say that how Chris handles this will cement his legacy as a Ranger in my mind.

I've been sympathetic. I've been patient.

Do the right thing Chris. There's a ****ing "C" on your jersey. Please justify my constant defense of your entire disappointing career as a New York Ranger.
Not if they buy him out there's not.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Kicking him out, with a check in hand for 3.3 million. AND the ability to re-up with another team for a portion the difference should he suddenly find himself healthy enough to contribute to another team in January 2012?

Poor him, he's only made 33.3 Million over the last 4 sesons....

He's played for 3.5 years, effectively for 2.5 years, he's going to make WITH the buyout 95% of the contracted 35 million.

I'm not asking him to forego all of the money he was due this season, just accept the buyout and move the fudge on.
As soon as Drurys past earnings come into the conversation you lose me. It doesn't matter what he made in the past all that matters is what he's losing now.

What if Drury isn't better in January 2012? Do you think he would be kicking himself about the money he left on the table?

Some posters sound like spoiled brats that aren't getting a new toy at Christmas..

Chris Drury owes the Rangers nothing. He owes the fans (some of which wished career ending injuries on him) nothing

He owes his family his Max earnings. Perhaps if he was ya know healthy he wouldn't be fighting for this extra money that is owed to him.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:19 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If it meant screwing over my friends that still work there? Yes. In our little world, we don't have to worry about things like that. Taking the money isn't likely to affect our coworkers one way or another. But Drury not accepting the buyout adversely affects the team. It makes it more difficult for management to improve the team and makes it harder for the team to win. You would do that to your friends for 10-20K that you don't even need?
This is just RIDICULOUS logic. 99/100 people on these forums wouldn't walk away from $1+ (or $5+) million dollars "for the good of the team" - especially when the guy has gotten his injuries from the sacrifices he made on the ice and for the good of the team. Nearly all of us would make the same decision - for the good of us, our family, and our future generation(s). You're seriously going to sit there and say that you would walk away from millions of dollars (that you've earned via contract)? You're going to try to explain to your wife that Dolan, and the NYR, need the money more than she does? Than her kid(s) do? This is all high and mighty BS and if you were REALLY in Drury's shoes, you'd make the exact same call he did. This noble fantasy isn't how the real world works and, in all likelihood, isn't what you would do either.

He's not "screwing" anybody over. He signed a contract and he expects the other side, that tendered the contract, to stick to their end of the deal. Think he wants to miss the season with a torn up knee? A guy like Drury? Come on.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Can't he retire and we just sign him as an assistant coach? Everybody wins.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
pwoz

I hate the salary cap more each day.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
I hate the salary cap more each day.
We know Glen, we know.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Also not being mentioned is Chris has a family to look out for and provide for.

Selling himself out a little so his children will be set for life is something everyone would do.

Drury is not a bad human being.

I still believe this whole situation will work out.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Doyle

No Chris Drury Buy Out a Good Thing?
http://nhlhotstove.com/no-drury-buy-out-a-good-thing/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
H

As soon as Drurys past earnings come into the conversation you lose me. It doesn't matter what he made in the past all that matters is what he's losing now.

What if Drury isn't better in January 2012? Do you think he would be kicking himself about the money he left on the table?

Some posters sound like spoiled brats that aren't getting a new toy at Christmas..

Chris Drury owes the Rangers nothing. He owes the fans (some of which wished career ending injuries on him) nothing

He owes his family his Max earnings. Perhaps if he was ya know healthy he wouldn't be fighting for this extra money that is owed to him.
That's fair.

The flip side of that coin is that fans and the organization owe Drury nothing, so if the Rangers file a grievance or he gets horrifically booed at the garden or motherf***ed to high heaven on this board no one should say word one.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Chalfdiggity3

I dont think its as big of a deal as we all think. Yes it definatly sucks but now i see us buying out Wolski(even tho i want to see what he can do with a full year under torts), and we save ourselves the same amount of money in order to sign Richards. But the good thing is when drury comes off the books next year along with Avery, EC, and others we should have about 10m of capspace. There is a much better group of free agents next year that we can go after. Also it enables us to give a year to see what players we have on defense and who can become expendable in a deal for a top line forward.

I know it sucks now but this may be a blessing in disguise

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:26 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
H

I agree with you, but this isn't just his decision. He's going to talk it over with his wife and kids for a while, if they feel that retiring is the best thing, that's what Drury will do. If they want him to use the Rangers as insurance, that's what Drury will do.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:28 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Well thats just fan ****ing tastic, keep on ****ing us over captain nobody.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
Can't he retire and we just sign him as an assistant coach? Everybody wins.
He can barely do anything productive on the ice, I don't want this guy anywhere near the bench come September wether in a jersey or suit.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Also not being mentioned is Chris has a family to look out for and provide for.

Selling himself out a little so his children will be set for life is something everyone would do.

Drury is not a bad human being.

I still believe this whole situation will work out.
Its been mentioned several times, and each time is seems even more ridiculous.

Its a business decision. He wants to maximize his earnings. All of us can appreciate that even if some do not necessarily like or agree with it. But lets drop the "providing for his family" thing. The guy probably made more money accruing interest last year than most well off families make in several years.

Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
And I went on CapGeek and with the cap at 62.5 million and the bonus cushion, we'd have 16.3 mil with Drury and Redden, so please understand where we get 22.3 million.....

Cap should be $63.5 million once the NHLPA approves the kicker. Here's what I got at Cap Geek -

CapGeek - NY Rangers

Quote:
CAP SPACE $22,512,500

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
This noble fantasy isn't how the real world works and, in all likelihood, isn't what you would do either.
Is being a high paid professional athlete the "real world"?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Chalfdiggity3

We can now offer Richards 7m of Drury's cap space money AND sign a player like Jussi Jokinen, Ville Leino, and Simon Gagne with the left overs after we sign our RFA' Dubinsky, Callahan, Boyle, Sauer, and Anisimov.

Yea we would be up against the cap this season but next year we would have Wolski, Drury, EC, and Avery off the books.. which is approximatley, 14m in capspace to go after a player like Brent Burns, which would make one of our dmen expendable to do a deal of say Girardi, Anisimov, + for a top line forward.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I don't understand what tangible benefit Drury has to retire. With that, you respect the guy as a paragon if he does retire, but I just don't see the criticism if he doesn't.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Cap should be $63.5 million once the NHLPA approves the kicker. Here's what I got at Cap Geek -

CapGeek - NY Rangers
Where is Redden?

Old
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post

CapGeek - NY Rangers
Cap geeks numbers sometimes seem off. Not sure if that is one of those times though

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Where is Redden?
Exactly, you forgot to put Redden, like I said we'll only have about 16 million...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Where is Redden?
Redden's $6.5 million gets offset by the cap going up 10%, hence $22.4 million in cap space.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DekeR

You can spend over the cap by 10% this summer. For Dru to go on to LTIR(to be determined in Sept) and the NYR's to get relief and place Dru on the LTIR status they have to spend to Dru's cap hit at 7.03M? I can't find anywhere where these two entities are running in conjuction with one another so they have to be considered seperate entities. So they should be able to sign Richards, keep WW if deemed be, carry on with business as usual and remove Redden$ in Sept along with Dru$. Sign the RFA's while in camp. Dru gets his monies via insurances and the NYR's get their cap hit alleviated this year instead of within two years.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I don't understand what tangible benefit Drury has to retire. With that, you respect the guy as a paragon if he does retire, but I just don't see the criticism if he doesn't.
I understand the anger and frustration if he does elect to grieve this rather than retiring, I really do. People are pissed. He's grossly overpaid, under-performing, and now he won't step aside. I don't agree with the criticism, but I do understand where it's coming from. People are emotional.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
That's fair.

The flip side of that coin is that fans and the organization owe Drury nothing, so if the Rangers file a grievance or he gets horrifically booed at the garden or motherf***ed to high heaven on this board no one should say word one.
A-MEN

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote