HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
H

Chris Drury owes the Rangers nothing. He owes the fans (some of which wished career ending injuries on him) nothing
Chris Drury owes the organization that paid him $30 million over 4 years (2 of which were substandard performances) nothing? Where does this entitlement philosophy come from? Sign the contract and everything else that happens afterward is water under the bridge? No expectation of performance? Some individuals with integrity would look at the circumstances and realize they were compensated handsomely for providing minimal contribution to your employer over the past 2 years. He's squabbling over $1.7 mil, which is just 4.7% of his total contract value over 5 years. A contract that paid him handsomely for less than optimal performances. He earned $5 mil in salary his last 2 seasons in Buffalo. That's $40+ mil over the last 7 seasons and people are painting a picture where $1.67 mil is make or break for Drury and his family. If $1.67 mil had serious financial implications for Drury's portfolio, he would have to be one of the worst investors/money managers in the league. This $40+ mil earned over the last 7 years doesn't even include money earned during the prior 5 seasons of his career.

This is about not hamstringing the organization that made paid him a filthy contract for only 2 1/2 seasons of acceptable performance on what should have been a 5 year contract. This is about not negatively impacting the organization's ability to move on and for his former teammates to be able to field the most competitive roster possible so they can continue their hockey careers as his ends. All this over 4.7% of his contract when the organization overpaid him by a good 25% of what he should have been earning for his level of services? Please.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:38 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Leme get this right, now we can spend drurys entire cap hit during the summer as that hot stove article said? So then it's a good thing...

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Is being a high paid professional athlete the "real world"?
It sure is and the point was that if you, or anyone else on these boards, were in the same situation we'd probably to the exact same thing and not be tossing around holier-than-thou expectations. Expecting players/athletes to just give away millions "for the sake of the team" is just asinine and unrealistic.

People like Naslund are the exception, not the rule.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato...er.php?id=1570

This is what our cap situation will be.

If we want any chance at signing Richards, buying out Wolski is unfortunately a must do.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:40 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Exactly, you forgot to put Redden, like I said we'll only have about 16 million...
No, the summer cap goes up 10 percent, making it $69.85 million...$69.85 million minus $47.5 million (contracts including Redden), cap space $22.35 million.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
People like Naslund are the exception, not the rule.
The sad thing is that part of me thinks the rangers really could have used Nazzy's offence this past season. The rangers team he played on had next to no identity, but IMO it sure did have some skill.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:42 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

That will not be our cap situation in the summer....10% increase. The summer cap is $69.85 million.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
@HagelinForPresident:

The $62MM cap ceiling isn't factoring in the extra 10% overage during the summer, which is another $6.2MM or so. That's the discrepancy between a couple of posters' numbers.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
No, the summer cap goes up 10 percent, making it $69.85 million...$69.85 million minus $47.5 million (contracts including Redden), cap space $22.35 million.
You're right, for some reason, CapGeek isn't putting the Cap Cushion into the calculation for cap space. (see this: http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato...er.php?id=1570) that's my roster but it doesn't put the cushion into the cap space for some reason. So the 16 mil would turn into 22-23. You're right

EDIT: I'm not the stupid one, CapGeek is. I put the Cushion on and it even says so on the bottom, but it didn't factor it into the cap space. STUPID CAPGEEK!

Old
06-17-2011, 10:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
@HagelinForPresident:

The $62MM cap ceiling isn't factoring in the extra 10% overage during the summer, which is another $6.2MM or so. That's the discrepancy between a couple of posters' numbers.
Thank you

Old
06-17-2011, 10:45 AM
NikC

You want to talk about real world economics? You and I don’t live up to the job we’re paid to do.. We get fired!
No questions asked. Drury signed on for big money and delivered very little. Even when relatively healthier his
Production started to dip. A few seasons ago they announced Drury’s “new role” on the team. Seriously? We’re paying you how much to be a third line center? Was that the original agreement.

Sather overpaid to get this guy, because his reputation was a 30+g scorer, huge playoff performer, clutch goal scorer, and leader. After a “good” first season, he has failed to deliver on all accounts. If you can’t do the job that you were hired to do, You have the option of taking a pay cut for a lesser role, or being dismissed. To continue to be awarded for a job you never Ever succeed in filling from day one, let alone now that you are injured is criminal.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Levitate

Actually, how about this:

Quote:
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.000m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Brian Boyle ($1.525m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($0.850m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Wade Redden ($6.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,800,000; BONUSES: $1,487,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,700,000
This includes Drury and Redde, includes Callahan and Dubinsky getting raises up to 4 mill. Anisimov a raise up to $1.8, Boyle up to $1.5, Sauer up to $850

They'd be at 60,800,000...but this is still during the summer, since Reddens cap hit is on the books. So the salary cap is actually at $69.85

Meaning with that roster, the Rangers would still have almost $9 mill to sign Richards with.

Then Redden is sent down in September, getting the Rangers back under the cap (though very close to the limit and they might want to do something else to make a little more wiggle room)

Anyone want to point out potential logic holes?

edit: well, one hole is that Erixon would then have to come up, which would add some cap space. Also that my suspicion is that Capgeek is calculating some summer cap rates for players like Del Zotto and Zucarello, so the real cap space available is probably lower, but still within a pretty close ballpark to the targeted area the Rangers would want to sign Richards at.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
You're right, for some reason, CapGeek isn't putting the Cap Cushion into the calculation for cap space. (see this: http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato...er.php?id=1570) that's my roster but it doesn't put the cushion into the cap space for some reason. So the 16 mil would turn into 22-23. You're right

EDIT: I'm not the stupid one, CapGeek is. I put the Cushion on and it even says so on the bottom, but it didn't factor it into the cap space. STUPID CAPGEEK!

Cool...now that we've beaten that dead horse...

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
What if Drury has no friends on the team just co-workers who are grown men and understand the business side of things?

What if Drurys family is telling him to take the money? Would you be more loyal to your gainfully employed friends or your family?
He was the captain, but none of his teammates are his friends? Possible I guess. But being on a team and playing together for 8 months out of the year for 4 years is a lot different than the work-a-day jobs most of us have. Even if they aren't his friends, it still seems a ****** thing to do to your teammates.

Maybe I'm wrong and he really, really needs the money, but I doubt it. All I can say is that if I had 30+ mil stashed away, I would accept the buyout. At some point, the money becomes irrelevant. Maybe for Drury 30 mil isn't enough.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
You want to talk about real world economics? You and I don’t live up to the job we’re paid to do.. We get fired!
No questions asked. Drury signed on for big money and delivered very little. Even when relatively healthier his
Production started to dip. A few seasons ago they announced Drury’s “new role” on the team. Seriously? We’re paying you how much to be a third line center? Was that the original agreement.

Sather overpaid to get this guy, because his reputation was a 30+g scorer, huge playoff performer, clutch goal scorer, and leader. After a “good” first season, he has failed to deliver on all accounts. If you can’t do the job that you were hired to do, You have the option of taking a pay cut for a lesser role, or being dismissed. To continue to be awarded for a job you never Ever succeed in filling from day one, let alone now that you are injured is criminal.
Okay, but that's not how it works with guaranteed contracts. You don't have to take a pay cut (in fact, you can't), and a dismissal comes in the form of a demotion to the AHL or a buyout. You can't compare the situations you or I would face to guys playing with guaranteed contracts.

Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

This includes Drury and Redde, includes Callahan and Dubinsky getting raises up to 4 mill. Anisimov a raise up to $1.8, Boyle up to $1.5, Sauer up to $850

They'd be at 60,800,000...but this is still during the summer, since Reddens cap hit is on the books. So the salary cap is actually at $69.85

Meaning with that roster, the Rangers would still have almost $9 mill to sign Richards with.

Then Redden is sent down in September, getting the Rangers back under the cap (though very close to the limit and they might want to do something else to make a little more wiggle room)

Tim Erixon says hi....meaning, while he won't count against the cap, you still have to factor in his salary come opening night. Plus, you might want to add a 7ty D-man. This is where not buying Drury/Wolski is a problem because it leaves no wiggle room...unless the Rangers spend to the cap, and then put Drury on LTIR opening night, allowing for $7 million or so in wiggle room.

Old
Vitto79

As if waiting for July 1st and a potential Richards signign was'nt bad enough,lol

now we have a two week buyout period where we argue about Drury retiring or buying out Wolski cause he won't blah blah blah

just retire and pay the guy in the front office. It's easy , it's his salary off the cap with no buy out cap hit against us

This could work out in the Rangers favor in the end

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:

The only logic hole I can find is Sauer getting 850K. He is due for at least 1 mil. I think Sauer will end up getting around 1.25 mil. But other than that, your line-up makes a lot of sense and makes me feel not so bad about this whole situation.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

edit: well, one hole is that Erixon would then have to come up, which would add some cap space. Also that my suspicion is that Capgeek is calculating some summer cap rates for players like Del Zotto and Zucarello, so the real cap space available is probably lower, but still within a pretty close ballpark to the targeted area the Rangers would want to sign Richards at.
Nah Lev, you're right in your projections. We can make it all work, if we desire. This isn't going to hamstring us the way some people seem to think it will.

Even with Erixon in the mix, and say another $1-2MM for the RFA deals (someone always surprises with what they get), it's still doable.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Tim Erixon says hi.
I read somewhere that Erixon's cap doesn't count against us during the summer. It only counts if/when he makes the Rangers in September. So he doesn't say hi until he makes the team

Old
06-17-2011, 10:51 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Cap goes to $63.5M. Buyout Wolski at 1/3. The Rangers have over $26M in summer cap space. Buyout Avery and save another $1,333,333. The Rangers have $27M-$28M in summer cap space.
The Rangers currently sit at 40.5 mil of cap hit.
The "projected" cap raise is speculated to go to 62.5 mil.
In the off season, the Rangers can exceed to 10% or 69 mil.
Drury will have to wait until Sept. when he reports to camp to get final word on his situation or he could retire, either way, his cap hit is on the books in that time frame.
With Drury and Redden's cap hits, the actually number on the cap that the Rangers currently have is 55 million dollars.
This leaves them 14.5 mil in cap space over the summer.
They have a number of RFA's to re-sign. Callahan, Dubinsky and Anisimov, Sauer and Gilroy.
There is also filling out the roster to consider, even with cheaper contracts, it still adds up.

Brad Richards bidding war due to begin July 1st.
Projected starting range is 7.2 to 7.7 mil.

In short, the Rangers have very few options right now, they're in a pickle here.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Levitate

^^ The Rangers probably have plenty of summer cap room to sign Richards, it's making sure everything gets under the cap that could prove tricky. And if the bidding for Richards is upwards of $7.5 the Rangers really shouldn't be biting anyways. That's just way too much

Quote:
The only logic hole I can find is Sauer getting 850K. He is due for at least 1 mil. I think Sauer will end up getting around 1.25 mil. But other than that, your line-up makes a lot of sense and makes me feel not so bad about this whole situation.
Well, I think the Rangers will push hard for him to take a lower one year contract or something, but we'll see

Also, they'd have to replace Drury in that lineup, but they also not have guys like Zucarello on the roster, etc.

Bottom line is that with Drury and Redden AND Wolski, the Rangers are still decently close to a situation that allows them to make a pretty good bid for Richards

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Okay, but that's not how it works with guaranteed contracts. You don't have to take a pay cut (in fact, you can't), and a dismissal comes in the form of a demotion to the AHL or a buyout. You can't compare the situations you or I would face to guys playing with guaranteed contracts.
My comments should have been immediately directed @
Haohmaru. I understand the difference with salaried employees and pro sports contracts. Ethics and integrity should still play a part though.
Naslund demonstrated this quality, let's see if the "captain" does.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Drury is protecting his $5M. His pizza joints must be struggling in his tough economy. A team can't buyout an injured player. Degenerative condition in his knee. The knee will continue to worsen and he won't be able to play anymore. He won't retire because he will lose the $5M. Mogilny had a similar issue with his hip. He didn't retire. Collected his millions. Drury will report to camp and fail his physical. The Flyers had Rathje on LTIR forever.
This poster would be correct.

I really feel for you guys, not getting any breaks when it comes to contracts.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
The Rangers currently sit at 40.5 mil of cap hit.
The "projected" cap raise is speculated to go to 62.5 mil.
In the off season, the Rangers can exceed to 10% or 69 mil.
Drury will have to wait until Sept. when he reports to camp to get final word on his situation or he could retire, either way, his cap hit is on the books in that time frame.
With Drury and Redden's cap hits, the actually number on the cap that the Rangers currently have is 55 million dollars.
This leaves them 14.5 mil in cap space over the summer.
They have a number of RFA's to re-sign. Callahan, Dubinsky and Anisimov, Sauer and Gilroy.
There is also filling out the roster to consider, even with cheaper contracts, it still adds up.

Brad Richards bidding war due to begin July 1st.
Projected starting range is 7.2 to 7.7 mil.

In short, the Rangers have very few options right now, they're in a pickle here.
This is very wrong. The Rangers will have 22 mil in cap space with the cushion. With Drury and Redden on the books, our cap is at 47 mil, not 55 mil. I have no idea where you got 55 mil from...

The mistake you made is that the Rangers currently sit at 40.5 mil WITH DRURY. Then Redden comes and pushes it to 47 mil. That is the error you made.