HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the habs buy anyone out?

Old
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
The Price is Right

vCash: 500
Should the habs buy anyone out?

With the buy outs starting tomorrow. Who can we afford to buy out?

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Although Gainey seemed to like the idea more than anybody buying a player out is one of the most stupid things a GM can do. It eats away at precious cap space like a cancer.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:56 AM
MathMan

Nobody.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:57 AM
E = CH²

No one.

Buyouts are a complete last resort under the current CBA. Very detrimental because you've got cap space going to a guy who doesn't play for you anymore.

Gomez is a big no-no. It's a heck of a lot better to have him play for us than to buy him out, and I hate the player.

Spacek would be tradeable if the habs were so inclined. IF not right now, than later in the season. Same thing with Moen. And buying either of those guys out wouldn't really help us replace them with better players.

Other than that, I don't see who we'd buy out.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Guilliam

No one.

And how is this a rumor?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:12 AM
NewEraGM

Buying out means paying the player in cap dollars 2 thirds of their remaining salary over the course of twice the amount of years left on their contract. For example, to buy out Gomez, he has around 17 million left on his contract for 3 years. Thats around 2 million dollars off the cap for 6 years!!!!!!!!! And all those 6 years, we will not even be on the team. So its 2 million dollars for nothing....Yes, we save some money until his contract runs out, but then for 3 years after its just wasted...

For Spacek, 3.83 left for 1 year. Buyout would be 2.55 for 2 years...

Not really worth it in any case.

However, if we wait one more year with Gomez, we would only have 10 million left for 2 years. Buyout would be 1.666 for only 4 years now. Still I wouldn't see it happennig.....

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
overlords
Hfboards

I don't even think we can buyout spacek.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:14 AM
neofury*

I really don't get all the hate Moen gets around these boards. He's been solid for us. On top of that he's been asked to play above his level and while he didn't look great doing it he didn't look terrible either. He is what he is a great 4th liner being used on the 2nd line. I don't see why that has to reflect negatively on him. He's been solid for us and just because he doesn't fight constantly people want him gone.

We're a worse team without him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In some of my other rants I said we should but we actually can't he needs to be dealt. Like I said though Spacek for Commodore July 1st. I'd be happy because Commodore would actually add depth to our AHL squad anyways.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
Buying out means paying the player in cap dollars 2 thirds of their remaining salary over the course of twice the amount of years left on their contract. For example, to buy out Gomez, he has around 17 million left on his contract for 3 years. Thats around 2 million dollars off the cap for 6 years!!!!!!!!! And all those 6 years, we will not even be on the team. So its 2 million dollars for nothing....Yes, we save some money until his contract runs out, but then for 3 years after its just wasted...

For Spacek, 3.83 left for 1 year. Buyout would be 2.55 for 2 years...

Not really worth it in any case.

However, if we wait one more year with Gomez, we would only have 10 million left for 2 years. Buyout would be 1.666 for only 4 years now. Still I wouldn't see it happennig.....

No one... Spacek would be the only candidate but we cannot buy him out .

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
We can't. And he's the only one I would've considered buying out if it was possible because it's just 1 year. But then again, you would just buy him out if you're sure to land a good player with the available money, otherwise it's still just a waste of cap space for next year. You don't buy out a guy to fill in with a plugger.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
With the buy outs starting tomorrow. Who can we afford to buy out?
I thought it started the 16th, yesterday?

The only possibilities are Spacek and Gomez. Spacek I believe his cap hit would not drop so it's not worth it. Gomez the buyout would be too costly, especially in 2-3 years when we need room for Price, Subban and co.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
We can't. And he's the only one I would've considered buying out if it was possible because it's just 1 year. But then again, you would just buy him out if you're sure to land a good player with the available money, otherwise it's still just a waste of cap space for next year. You don't buy out a guy to fill in with a plugger.
He CAN be bought out, but his cap hit doesn't change. The cash payout would be 1.277 mil this cpming year and the same in 2012-2013.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
JimmyDarmody

With the amount of money our owners are pocketing, buy-outs should not be an option.

Send them down to the AHL/ECHL and eat the salary. Should of done it with Laraque, and if Gomez doesn't get his act together we should do it to him.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Spacek has 1 year left. I think we can still get buy with his full cap hit, then he's gone.

Gomez more than likely won't be. He'll be giving the season to get things better, as it was looking with him, pacs and gio. If that fails I truly believe next year he'll be bought out.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:37 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
As mentioned I don't think anyone would be worth buying out. Burying in the minors on the other hand, well that is a totally different thing!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 10:41 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Spacek has 1 year left. I think we can still get buy with his full cap hit, then he's gone.

Gomez more than likely won't be. He'll be giving the season to get things better, as it was looking with him, pacs and gio. If that fails I truly believe next year he'll be bought out.
If Gomez fails though, why buy him out? He has fully earned a trip to the minors, and the owners owe it to the fanbase to not hurt our cap in favor of saving their wallets.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
If Gomez fails though, why buy him out? He has fully earned a trip to the minors, and the owners owe it to the fanbase to not hurt our cap in favor of saving their wallets.
I think in terms of cash and cap hit, burrying him in the minors or Europe for 2 years costs about the same and saves like 10 mil in cap room.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
If Gomez fails though, why buy him out? He has fully earned a trip to the minors,
It has nothing to do with what he "earned"; we need to deal with Gomez the best way for this franchise. I doubt that sending him to the minors will ever be the best way to deal with the situation. Maybe if a top center falls on our lap and we absolutely need the space immediately (e.g. Eller becomes a 90 pts overnight and want the big bucks as soon as next year)... but giving how the cap keeps rising, I really doubt we ever come to this.
Quote:
and the owners owe it to the fanbase to not hurt our cap in favor of saving their wallets.
No, the owners don't "owe" anything to the fanbase. Don't confuse your hatred for a player with a rational evaluation of the issue. The owners won't throw millions down the drain "out of spite" for a player.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think in terms of cash and cap hit, burrying him in the minors or Europe for 2 years costs about the same and saves like 10 mil in cap room.
Exactly. They might save a penny or two buying him out but burying/trading him in the most rational option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
It has nothing to do with what he "earned"; we need to deal with Gomez the best way for this franchise. I doubt that sending him to the minors will ever be the best way to deal with the situation. Maybe if a top center falls on our lap and we absolutely need the space immediately (e.g. Eller becomes a 90 pts overnight and want the big bucks as soon as next year)... but giving how the cap keeps rising, I really doubt we ever come to this.
No, the owners don't "owe" anything to the fanbase. Don't confuse your hatred for a player with a rational evaluation of the issue. The owners won't throw millions down the drain "out of spite" for a player.
Durr. They owe to the fanbase to put out the best product possible. The best product possible isn't with Scott Gomez in the lineup. It's with his 7+ cap his used elsewhere, like retaining Wiz and Markov and leaving us with another 5 million to work with. The only way to save his whole cap hit is by trading him or buying him out, ergo how they owe us that instead of a buyout.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Durr. They owe to the fanbase to put out the best product possible.
No, they don't.

I understand that (and why) you feel that they should, but this delusion is your own creation. This habit of stating something as fact ("they own us" or "they are so rich, they can put him in the AHL no problem") leads to a false sense of entitlement, and disapointment because of unrealistic expectations.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
ReVeuF

I would prefer Gomez on 4th line instead of buying him out... or even better if we can trade him instead !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
impudent_lowlife

What we as Habs fans need to do is start a Buy Out Gomez Collection Fund.

Collect a few million dollars over the summer, donate it to the Habs on the condition they use it to buy out Gomez and sign Brooks Laich.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:37 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
No, they don't.

I understand that (and why) you feel that they should, but this delusion is your own creation. This habit of stating something as fact ("they own us" or "they are so rich, they can put him in the AHL no problem") leads to a false sense of entitlement, and disapointment because of unrealistic expectations.
This is Montreal, where the fans and media can/will find a way to hold the owners accountable should they start basing hockey decisions on what's best for their pockets.

Overcharge us for beer. Fine.
Charge us through the nose for merchandise. Fine.
Mark-up ticket prices season after season. Fine.

But start affecting the on-ice product in favor of saving a buck or two and things will get nasty. I don't think a brand like Molson with business interests extending beyond the rink will be too keen on testing that.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
This is Montreal, where the fans and media can/will find a way to hold the owners accountable should they start basing hockey decisions on what's best for their pockets.

Overcharge us for beer. Fine.
Charge us through the nose for merchandise. Fine.
Mark-up ticket prices season after season. Fine.

But start affecting the on-ice product in favor of saving a buck or two and things will get nasty. I don't think a brand like Molson with business interests extending beyond the rink will be too keen on testing that.
Well, we'll see, isn't it? If the Molsons really fear they are going to lose support because they are reluctant to send Gomez to the minor, I'm sure they will act accordingly.

But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I think the Bell Center will again be packed this year, even with Gomez still around.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
What we as Habs fans need to do is start a Buy Out Gomez Collection Fund.

Collect a few million dollars over the summer, donate it to the Habs on the condition they use it to buy out Gomez and sign Brooks Laich.
The Habs problem is not cash, it's cap room...buying Gomez out would take up almost 4 mil against the cap in 12-13 and almost 5 mil in 13-14. Plus it's 1.8 mil for 2 more years after that I think.

Laich and Gomez are not related in any way, Gomez is a center and Laich a winger, we need both for next year as long as Laich is available and at a reasonable price.