HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Isn't this a good thing? His career's done, so we don't even have to buy him out?
Well, it doesn't sound as if he's going to retire. Meaning that his cap number will still be on the books. We can stash him on LTIR, but it makes things a bit more difficult this summer, when his full cap hit counts against our summer cap, rather than a reduced amount if we would buy him out.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Many? Many, many, many, MANY, more don't leave money on the table. Matter of fact, most take advantage (Jeter) for as long as they can.

Furthermore, Drury probably would've accepted a buyout. It's not his fault that the stupid CBA rules are the way they are. Expecting him to retire and lose 5M+ dollars is just unrealistic and your expectations are way too high.

I don't argue that it wouldn't be nice of Drury to retire. I just think that fans shouldn't have this as an expectation or feel that it's something he SHOULD do.
jeter.... what?

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stepan Razor

So it took us 10 pages to realize that a.)Drury taking all the money that is owed to him is what anyone here would do, and b.)that the NYR still have 22.5M in summer cap space to spend, meaning that this really doesn't affect their summer plans at all?

Wow. Everyone calm down. Drury's primary responsibility isn't to the Rangers, to his failing pizza joints or to you. It's to his family. If he wants to go get his extra 1.667M that he's completely entitled to, then so be it. Sather is the guy that pushed the contract his way.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Hmmm? This whole thread is about the potential that Drury will file paperwork declaring himself medically unable to play, in an attempt to block the buyout.
Which is exactly what he's supposed to do under the CBA...

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
This is a situation where, if it is true that the team is only accountable for 1 million of Drury's year (5 million in earnings) That this is a dream scenario for a team wanting flexibility with the cap floor.

They should, by all rights trade him to Phoenix, provided they need the help.

nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Which is exactly what he's supposed to do under the CBA...
No, he has the option to do that under the CBA. You're making it sound as if he's forced by certain language in the CBA to proceed in this manner, when he's absolutely not. He has the option. He also has the option to accept a buyout, or the option to retire. He's not being forced to attempt to block the buyout through medical disability.

Again, I have no problem with him doing what he's doing. But in no way is this a tactic that is being forced upon him; if this Brooks report is true, it's a conscious decision on his part.

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Razor View Post
So it took us 10 pages to realize that a.)Drury taking all the money that is owed to him is what anyone here would do, and b.)that the NYR still have 22.5M in summer cap space to spend, meaning that this really doesn't affect their summer plans at all?

Wow. Everyone calm down. Drury's primary responsibility isn't to the Rangers, to his failing pizza joints or to you. It's to his family. If he wants to go get his extra 1.667M that he's completely entitled to, then so be it. Sather is the guy that pushed the contract his way.
Well, it's not like $22m is a lot when you have 5 RFAs, some of whom are arbitration eligible, to resign in addition to the desire to sign Richards to a large contract. It will be VERY close if they ink Richards.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
jeter.... what?
$51 million over 3 years to bat .260 because of his legacy = taking advantage of the Yankees. But, that's not really relevant to this thread. Just making a comparison based on value/$ to performance.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:15 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I can't imagine it will play out like this.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
If Mike Tyson, Michael Jackson, etc... found ways to become bankrupt...

Besides, it's not for you, me, or anyone else to decide when someone else has enough money. You simply don't possess enough information nor do you really have the right to tell someone else "Hey, buddy, haven't you made enough money?"

I'm sure you've made more money than many impoverished people who would probably look to you and think you're doing very well and really don't need all of that money that you make. It's all relative.
This is an integrity issue for me... Why is he entitled to be paid his full salary when the guy could only perform for 2 1/2 seasons of a 5 year deal? Because the CBA says so? That doesn't matter to me when it comes down to integrity. He **** the bed for 1/2 of 2009-2010, and earned $8,000,000 to play 24 games and contribute 1 goal last season. It's crap, he needs to GTFO. He earned more money over the last 4 seasons than he should have for how he has performed, Drury knows it, you know it, everyone knows it. And now he can read the writing on the wall and figure out how his teammates are going to be negatively impacted by his decision to try and play when he knows he can't? I see Woski being bought out now. Avery possibly as well.

Quote:
No, he has the option to do that under the CBA. You're making it sound as if he's forced by certain language in the CBA to proceed in this manner, when he's absolutely not. He has the option. He also has the option to accept a buyout, or the option to retire. He's not being forced to attempt to block the buyout through medical disability.

Again, I have no problem with him doing what he's doing. But in no way is this a tactic that is being forced upon him; if this Brooks report is true, it's a conscious decision on his part.
Agreed.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Isn't this a good thing? His career's done, so we don't even have to buy him out?
I think too many people are losing their minds over this, when, the only possible ramification here is that Wolski and, perhaps, Avery, may get bought out instead of Drury, which a portion of the fanbase has been clamoring for. It doesn't affect the ability to re-sign the RFAS, nor does it really impact a pursuit of Richards. It impacts the ability to bring back the likes of Prospal, Fedetenko and Eminger, but, frankly, those types of players turn up in camps every pre-season. Either Drury retires because his knee is shot (hockey-wise), and gets $4 million from the insurance, while the Rangers are free from his cap hit, or he goes on LTIR, and he collects his $5 million, and the Rangers can spend to $7.05 million over the cap, once the season begins.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
$51 million over 3 years to bat .260 because of his legacy = taking advantage of the Yankees. But, that's not really relevant to this thread. Just making a comparison based on value/$ to performance.
your talking about baseball and the yankees where money is not even worth talking about. jeter is 36. no way he was going to retire and he knows money doesnt matter to the yankees. way different than drury.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

So, he's supposed to accept the buyout for less money and then NOT get signed by another team because of his injury which occurred while playing for the NYR? Does that make sense to you? I'm not saying he's bound to make a decision under the CBA, but you can't tell me the PA isn't happier with THIS decision.

Option to retire = forfeiting his entire salary = not really an option.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Well, it doesn't sound as if he's going to retire. Meaning that his cap number will still be on the books. We can stash him on LTIR, but it makes things a bit more difficult this summer, when his full cap hit counts against our summer cap, rather than a reduced amount if we would buy him out.
Lol does he try to get us to hate him?

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This is a situation where, if it is true that the team is only accountable for 1 million of Drury's year (5 million in earnings) That this is a dream scenario for a team wanting flexibility with the cap floor.

They should, by all rights trade him to Phoenix, provided they need the help.
That would be a ridiculously good turn of events. Drury would have to waive his NMC but unless he thought he could truly return to the NHL, then it wouldn't really make a difference. But you never know.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
This is an integrity issue for me... Why is he entitled to be paid his full salary when the guy could only perform for 2 1/2 seasons of a 5 year deal? Because the CBA says so? That doesn't matter to me when it comes down to integrity. He **** the bed for 1/2 of 2009-2010, and earned $8,000,000 to play 24 games and contribute 1 goal last season. It's crap, he needs to GTFO. He earned more money over the last 4 seasons than he should have for how he has performed, Drury knows it, you know it, everyone knows it. And now he can read the writing on the wall and figure out how his teammates are going to be negatively impacted by his decision to try and play when he knows he can't? I see Woski being bought out now. Avery possibly as well.
He's entitled to it because he works for a union that is powerful enough to gain guaranteed contracts for every one of it's members. His salary is not merit-based. It's guaranteed. Nothing else you said matters at all. I'm of the opinion that unions should work with their employers to create a sustainable business model, but it's still the union's job to get the best deal for it's members. Guaranteed contracts are a great benefit and the players should take advantage of it if they want to.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Well, it's not like $22m is a lot when you have 5 RFAs, some of whom are arbitration eligible, to resign in addition to the desire to sign Richards to a large contract. It will be VERY close if they ink Richards.
Dubi $ 4million
Callahan $4 million
AA - $1.75 million
Boyle $1.75
Sauer $1 million

$12.5 million

Available space to sign Richards - $ 9.5 million

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Many? Many, many, many, MANY, more don't leave money on the table. Matter of fact, most take advantage (Jeter) for as long as they can.

Furthermore, Drury probably would've accepted a buyout. It's not his fault that the stupid CBA rules are the way they are. Expecting him to retire and lose 5M+ dollars is just unrealistic and your expectations are way too high.

I don't argue that it wouldn't be nice of Drury to retire. I just think that fans shouldn't have this as an expectation or feel that it's something he SHOULD do.
I'm not expecting him to retire, just accept the buyout.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
So, he's supposed to accept the buyout for less money and then NOT get signed by another team because of his injury which occurred while playing for the NYR? Does that make sense to you? I'm not saying he's bound to make a decision under the CBA, but you can't tell me the PA isn't happier with THIS decision.

Option to retire = forfeiting his entire salary = not really an option.
No, I think he's doing the right thing for himself. And yes, I think the NHLPA would agree. I just read your initial post as asserting that he was somehow contractually bound to make this decision. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
He's entitled to it because he works for a union that is powerful enough to gain guaranteed contracts for every one of it's members. His salary is not merit-based. It's guaranteed. Nothing else you said matters at all. I'm of the opinion that unions should work with their employers to create a sustainable business model, but it's still the union's job to get the best deal for it's members. Guaranteed contracts are a great benefit and the players should take advantage of it if they want to.
Aaaand Tawnos with an awesome post. I smile when people understand Labor.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yeah, but I'm not arguing that he's worth the money. He isn't. I'm saying that it's Sather's fault (and the NYR) and you can't blame the player for signing the contract and expecting the club to live up to it. It's not Drury's fault. It's the organization's. I'm sure that Drury knows better than anybody that it's been a rough few years and he hasn't performed as well as he would've liked. Equally, from his standpoint, he probably looks at it that he gave everything he had and his body has become torn up in the process of doing that for the NYR. I can't really fault him for wanting what he was basically guaranteed. It's why he signed here.

Bottom line: blame Sather.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Dubi $ 4million
Callahan $4 million
AA - $1.75 million
Boyle $1.75
Sauer $1 million

$12.5 million

Available space to sign Richards - $ 9.5 million
I think your numbers are probably a little low for the bottom three guys by maybe a total of $1m for all three. Like I said, it will be close.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
CM PUNK

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
#NYR not buying out Drury or anyone else tomorrow... nobody on waivers today, a prerequisite for a buyout.
9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I think we all know now that Drury is not going to retire because the money is important to him. The thing is, he's made plenty of money over his time in the NHL that 5 million more isn't that important. IMO, he's being greedy. Markus Naslund retired to save the Rangers 4 million on the books for him because he didn't want to play, so Drury should take a page from his book cause he physically can't play. If he wants to be known as a good leader, he should do what is best for the team. He has the money.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm not expecting him to retire, just accept the buyout.
If he weren't hurt, he probably would've. Somebody would've signed him for 2 yrs/2.75-3M.

Old
94now

It is a retirement without a penny lost for Chris. Geniuos!!

Drury gets full amont
Insurance/NHLPA will pay out his contract
Dolan saves money
Sather saves cap space.

The only issue here is summer cap that is affected by delay, but I am sure Slats okayed the entire motion assuming he'll be able to handle it

94now is offline   Reply With Quote