HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers can't buy out injured Drury (career ending injury)

Old
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Wait.

Drury buyout numbers would be
2011-12: $3,716,667
2012-13: $1,666,667
= $5,383,334

Drury's salary next season, $5,000,000

So he'd be getting more in a buyout? Yet is taking the $5,000,000 in one year?
No, those are his cap numbers, not the actual money he would get.

He would get 2/3rds, or 3.33 mil spread over 2 years. By not accepting the buyout, he gets 5 mil over 1 year.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
It's no ones fault. He's getting old. The bodies of old athletes break down, and they get hurt. It's part of the risk of signing guys to long term deals.
Well thats why I put "fault" in quotes. I more or less agree.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
so in reality, this is actually a positive..

Doesn't effect summer plans, and come September both Drury and Redden will be off our cap. Will be a nice sight.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Actually this all doesn't make sense to me...how does player insurance work then? Why did Blackburn get like $6 mill for retiring?

It seems like it'd make sense for the players to get paid by insurance if they retire due to injury...that's the whole point of having these insurance deals
Once you take the insurance money you have effectively ended your career...if Dury still thinks he can come back from this then he doesn't retire due to the injury.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Razor View Post
So it took us 10 pages to realize that a.)Drury taking all the money that is owed to him is what anyone here would do, and b.)that the NYR still have 22.5M in summer cap space to spend, meaning that this really doesn't affect their summer plans at all?

Wow. Everyone calm down. Drury's primary responsibility isn't to the Rangers, to his failing pizza joints or to you. It's to his family. If he wants to go get his extra 1.667M that he's completely entitled to, then so be it. Sather is the guy that pushed the contract his way.
Who gave it out and who accepted it is so not the point.

We are way beyond that.

Where we are today is this:

The player that signed the lucrative deal has not lived up to the contact for the last year and a half and now that he's been paid 30 million and if on the verge of being bought out for 3.3 million thus paying him 33.3 million over 4 years, he's pulling some crap like this?

Sather has been bashed to death for the contract, Drury has been bashed to death for the contract.

No one is demanding that he retire and forefit the full 5 million, but 3.3 for a yera in which he won't be playing at all thus not providing ANY sort of retun on the investment is slef-centered, selfish and shows more than ANY other UFA signing that he came here for one thing and one thing only, the money.

Pulling this crap with the injury thing would put him in a position worse than any other UFA mercenary that ever signed with the Rangers.

Because at least with them it was the promise of millions whereas Drury has already pocketed his millions, this move prevents a loss (and it's not even a loss really) of 1.67 million.

A loss to me is not getting paid or getting short-changed for services rendered. Drury is going to get paid and he's not going to be rendering ANY services this year.

Doesn't seem right to me at all and since he's the one that controls the decisions made, he is the one that I am going to direct my venom.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Yah, the receiving team in a trade does not have to put the player through a physical; it's totally up to them to do so.
Technically yes, the receiving team doesn't HAVE to have Chris Drury pass a physical.

However, there may be an issue w/ the contract insurance. I'm not exactly sure how the policy is underwritten or paid for. Do the Rangers purchase an insurance policy when they sign Chris Drury, or do they have a team policy covering their players?

If it was so easy to move players on LTI and have insurance pick up the 80% of the liability, I feel teams would of done it before (like the Flyers w/ Rathje and Hatcher). I have a feeling that the insurance covering 4 million of the 5 million wouldn't be so cut and dry if he were traded.

Anyone have any details on the insuring process for SPCs?

*Probably have been asked, but what's up w/ the SN change*

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:55 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No, those are his cap numbers, not the actual money he would get.

He would get 2/3rds, or 3.33 mil spread over 2 years. By not accepting the buyout, he gets 5 mil over 1 year.
Knew I must have been missing something

Thanks GAG.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Ola

I can definitely symphazie with those trashing Dru's character.

But lets be honest here.

Chris Drury has a contract that will be paid by the insurance company, not the Rangers (besides the mil).

The only thing Dru retireing does for this org is buy us more fictional cap space summer time.

We could accomplish the same thing with Marc Staal by giving him a handshake deal now and having him sign it the day camp opens.

Whats more realistic?
1. Ask Dru to give up 5m?
2. Ask one of the RFA's to wait a couple of month to sign a contract?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

You guys realize that 1.67 million bucks is a lot of money, even to a guy like Drury.

I dont care if you make 200 dollars or 200 million dollars a paycheck. When you're bi-weekly pay disappears, you are forced to make significant lifestyle changes no matter how well you invested.

I dont have a problem with Drury wanting the extra money at all. He doesnt want to lose almost 25 percent of his salary.

Lets see how many of you who make 80,000 bucks a year with a mortgage, 2 car payments and a family who would piss away 20,000 bucks just to increase your employer's (who is basically laying you off with a severance) chances of hiring the guy who is basically replacing you as a key leader on the team.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Yes, he could. An attempt to have himself declared medically unable to play is a choice entirely up to Chris.
So what's the incentive for him waiting till camp, only to be placed on LTIR?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:01 PM
rangerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Who gave it out and who accepted it is so not the point.

We are way beyond that.

Where we are today is this:

The player that signed the lucrative deal has not lived up to the contact for the last year and a half and now that he's been paid 30 million and if on the verge of being bought out for 3.3 million thus paying him 33.3 million over 4 years, he's pulling some crap like this?

Sather has been bashed to death for the contract, Drury has been bashed to death for the contract.

No one is demanding that he retire and forefit the full 5 million, but 3.3 for a yera in which he won't be playing at all thus not providing ANY sort of retun on the investment is slef-centered, selfish and shows more than ANY other UFA signing that he came here for one thing and one thing only, the money.

Pulling this crap with the injury thing would put him in a position worse than any other UFA mercenary that ever signed with the Rangers.

Because at least with them it was the promise of millions whereas Drury has already pocketed his millions, this move prevents a loss (and it's not even a loss really) of 1.67 million.

A loss to me is not getting paid or getting short-changed for services rendered. Drury is going to get paid and he's not going to be rendering ANY services this year.

Doesn't seem right to me at all and since he's the one that controls the decisions made, he is the one that I am going to direct my venom.
What 'crap' is Drury pulling? Who in their right mind would take $3.33 million over 2 years when they can get $5 million that they are contractually entitled to instead? What does the fact he made his millions already have to do with anything? It's a cut throat business, and I'm sure Mr. Dolan would have thrown Drury and Redden out on the street if he could have. The NHLPA bargained in good faith for the CBA which our GM used to his advantage to signed these free agents, and now that the signings have come back to hurt (or haunt) us, you want the players to give something back? No way.

I'm frustrated at what this does to our cap this summer, but dude, don't take out your frustrations on Drury. He is doing what you, me, and every other sane person would do in his situation--use the system to his advantage.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:01 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Leafs fan here, just trying to make sense of all this in regards to Richards. So if I got this right, Drury's cap will be added to the amount the Rangers can spend, but Redden and Drury's salaries will count towards that limit until the start of next season. So the Rangers can make a large offer for Richards at the start of the new season when Redden goes to the AHL and Drury goes on IR?

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
No Chris Drury Buy Out a Good Thing?
http://nhlhotstove.com/no-drury-buy-out-a-good-thing/
Saw this line in the story at the link above....On the other hand, giving Sather cap space is essentially giving a drunk teenager car keys...is the poster who has a similar line in their posts the writer of this article?

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Leafs fan here, just trying to make sense of all this in regards to Richards. So if I got this right, Drury's cap will be added to the amount the Rangers can spend, but Redden and Drury's salaries will count towards that limit until the start of next season. So the Rangers can make a large offer for Richards at the start of the new season when Redden goes to the AHL and Drury goes on IR?
Eh, not really.

It turns out it doesn't really affect things toooo much. Redden and Drury's contracts will count against the cap during the summer. Redden can be sent down again on the 15th of September, Drury can be put on IR at the start of the season.

That all said, the Rangers pretty much have the cap space to make Richards a competitive offer on July 1st and still be able to sign their RFA's. They will likely be able to offer him between $7-8 mill, though I don't think they'll get too close to $8 mill.

It's very likely they can fit all of their RFA's, Redden, Drury, and Richards under the summer cap.

They might have to do some dancing to get under the cap before the start of the season, though. But then again they might be able to use the LTIR so that it doesn't really matter...I'm still not 100% sure on how LTIR works

edit: that all assumes that Richards would want to sign here and not take a huge contract from Toronto for $8+ mill or something

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Wait.

Drury buyout numbers would be
2011-12: $3,716,667
2012-13: $1,666,667
= $5,383,334

Drury's salary next season, $5,000,000

So he'd be getting more in a buyout? Yet is taking the $5,000,000 in one year?
No.

The buyout is based on the actual salary ($5 million)

The reduced cap hit is based on Drury's cap hit to the Rangers.

Old
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
If they buyout Wolski they can make exactly the same offer they were going to make to Richards as they were planning on (with a Drury buyout). EDIT: Technically, they might not even have to buyout Wolski, depending on what the cap hit of the deal they planned on offering is.

The Rangers actually benefit under this scenario, because they would have more cap space to use once the season starts (and Drury's on LTIR), because Drury's buyout would've resulted in $3.7m of deadspace, while Wolski's only results in $400k).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan2 View Post
What 'crap' is Drury pulling? Who in their right mind would take $3.33 million over 2 years when they can get $5 million that they are contractually entitled to instead? What does the fact he made his millions already have to do with anything? It's a cut throat business, and I'm sure Mr. Dolan would have thrown Drury and Redden out on the street if he could have. The NHLPA bargained in good faith for the CBA which our GM used to his advantage to signed these free agents, and now that the signings have come back to hurt (or haunt) us, you want the players to give something back? No way.

I'm frustrated at what this does to our cap this summer, but dude, don't take out your frustrations on Drury. He is doing what you, me, and every other sane person would do in his situation--use the system to his advantage.
What 3.3 over 2 years are you referring to?

Old
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
n_a_c

I think the alarmists might be all wrong.

It seems to me that by going on injured reserve, the rangers save 3.7 in cap space this year, 1.6 next year. And the only limitation is the cap space until the season starts. So as Ola said - if an RFA waits to sign until Sept, the problem is solved, and Drury did us a favor.

I would not be surprised that Drury and Sather agreed to this plan, and Sather already has an RFA with a handshake deal which wont be officially offered and signed until Sept. Everyone gets happy - Rangers save cap space, Drury makes more money, the one RFA has already agreed to the deal and trusts Sather will follow through.

Win-win-win.

Risk: the RFA is poached by another team. So Sather needs to trust the RFA, the RFA needs to trust Sather. And if it comes to that, the Rangers could go into emergency mode and buy someone else out...

Last edited by n_a_c: 06-17-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added risk
n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If they buyout Wolski they can make exactly the same offer they were going to make to Richards as they were planning on (with a Drury buyout). EDIT: Technically, they might not even have to buyout Wolski, depending on what the cap hit of the deal they planned on offering is.

The Rangers actually benefit under this scenario, because they would have more cap space to use once the season starts (and Drury's on LTIR), because Drury's buyout would've resulted in $3.7m of deadspace, while Wolski's only results in $400k).
They probably don't even need to buy out Wolski

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
dbmaven

Quote:
That's what he'd get if bought out. 2/3rds of remaining $5mm spread over 2 years.

dbmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
On July 1, cap is expected to go up to $63.5 million (once the NHLPA approves the kicker). The summer cap will then be $69.85 million. As of right now, the Rangers have $40.5 million in cap commitments, (including Drury). On July 1, with the addition of Redden, the Rangers will have $47 million in cap commitments, leaving $22. 5 million or so in available summer cap space. The Rangers will likely allot $13 million or so to 5 pending RFAs - Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle and Sauer. (Gilroy is likely not to be qualified, so he becomes a UFA.) That leaves around $9.5 million in cap space to pursue Brad Richards. On September 15, Redden will be once again waive and sent to the AHL, opening up temporary cap space of $6.5 million. On opening night, Drury will be placed on LTIR, and, as long as the Rangers have spent to the cap ceiling, (a likelihood), they will have the ability bring in a player with as much as $7.05 million in a cap hit. The Rangers can and will likely pursue Richards as of 12:00 AM, July 1, 2011.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
pld459666

Quote:
nevermind

found it.

he's not getting a check for 3.3, he would get 1.65 this yera and 1.65 next

Old
06-17-2011, 12:17 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

uh... retirement >>> buyout

edit: hmm, i see. get your insurance salary instead of retiring.

then it would be Naslund >>> Drury
don't be a ****** Dru!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM
dbmaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
<snip> On opening night, Drury will be placed on LTIR, and, as long as the Rangers have spent to the cap ceiling, (a likelihood), they will have the ability bring in a player with as much as $7.05 million in a cap hit. The Rangers can and will likely pursue Richards as of 12:00 AM, July 1, 2011.
Jas - +1 - nice summary

dbmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
On July 1, cap is expected to go up to $63.5 million (once the NHLPA approves the kicker). The summer cap will then be $69.85 million. As of right now, the Rangers have $40.5 million in cap commitments, (including Drury). On July 1, with the addition of Redden, the Rangers will have $47 million in cap commitments, leaving $22. 5 million or so in available summer cap space. The Rangers will likely allot $13 million or so to 5 pending RFAs - Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Boyle and Sauer. (Gilroy is likely not to be qualified, so he becomes a UFA.) That leaves around $9.5 million in cap space to pursue Brad Richards. On September 15, Redden will be once again waive and sent to the AHL, opening up temporary cap space of $6.5 million. On opening night, Drury will be placed on LTIR, and, as long as the Rangers have spent to the cap ceiling, (a likelihood), they will have the ability bring in a player with as much as $7.05 million in a cap hit. The Rangers can and will likely pursue Richards as of 12:00 AM, July 1, 2011.

I know we have this correct but what if we spread that 9.5m out a bit. Is it possible that we can sign Richards (7m) and a guy like Jussi Jokinen for (3m)?

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote