HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CBJ/MTL] Wisniewski's rights for a Cond. 7th (5th if he signs in CBJ) (post #302)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
jlgib21*

vCash: 500
Wiz = Bieksa, Erhoff = Markov. 'nuff said. Sign the Wiz

Old
06-15-2011, 10:08 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Woah. Ehrhoff is not on Markov's level even in a Vancouver fans dream.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:08 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Wiznieski should be kept. He's just entering his prime. 50 points speaks for itself. I really don't know if pierre gauthier will though because of the need for a top six forward. He'll probabley want to save cap space fo that, but it could be done depending on how high the cap goes, and the prices at which he can sign wiz, as well as markov, and gorges. He's gotta convince them that they will get an opportunity to play for the cup.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:10 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Woah. Ehrhoff is not on Markov's level even in a Vancouver fans dream.
No but it's the comparison I'm talking about. We need what Wiz brings more than Markov.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Wiznieski should be kept. He's just entering his prime. 50 points speaks for itself. I really don't know if pierre gauthier will though because of the need for a top six forward. He'll probabley want to save cap space fo that, but it could be done depending on how high the cap goes, and the prices at which he can sign wiz, as well as markov, and gorges. He's gotta convince them that they will get an opportunity to play for the cup.
He won 't put up 50 points playing behind Subban and Markov. If the Habs pay what it takes to keep him they'll be overpaying for his production, his price is probably around 20 mil/4 years and will be higher as a UFA.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's not deify this guy. He's not a first pairing Dman. He was the best available at a time when it was apparent that the Habs were desperate without Markov.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:08 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Spending 5+ mil on an insurance policy instead of adding a needed top 6 winger doesn't sound logical to me.
If we happen we don't need him because Markov proved he is solid now, we can afford to wait for the market to be favourable for us to trade him.

If we paired him with Markov, and the General works his magic like he did with Souray, we could get quite a jackpot in return.

And if Markov fails us, then we still have him.

I don't see where we lose, either way.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:36 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I wanted to ask if the people who watched him play every single day this past season could give me some information on this guy. The Red Wings (among others) and their fans are really high on this guy as a possible Rafalski replacement. I was wondering if you all would be able to tell me his strengths/weaknesses and how is offense and defense is. How is his poise? Does he take stupid penalties? What are your pet peeves about him? What would you miss about him if he leaves as a UFA?

Thanks for any info!

Original 6
Our season turned around when we acquired him. I would re-sign him if he could be signed around 4 million a season. Then trade a Gorges for top draft picks or Spacek just to free up cap space.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Rgolt

Although I love Markov and love everything he has done for the team, Im thinking the best thing may be to use the money that we would resign with, somewhere else
Resign Wiz for 4.5 mill and use Markovs money to sign Bieksa for 5.5 and we save a potential (500k-1mill which wudve been a raise for Markov)
Therefore we end up with something like this

Bieksa-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Emelin-Wiz
Weber
I think thats a pretty solid defensive unit right there. Im really hoping PG trades Spacek for anything at this point as his cap hit could really be used to get a Brooks Laich type player/top 6 forward. I also believe with our defensive depth-weber/emelin/diaz we dont have a need for Spacek

Old
06-17-2011, 02:20 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Spending 5+ mil on an insurance policy instead of adding a needed top 6 winger doesn't sound logical to me.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
There are probably 29 other teams looking for a top 6 winger, we are in a better position than a lot of them to sign one, but there are no guarantees. If we have a chance to land Wiz at a reasonable price before he hits free agency I'd say we should do it.

This will give us an amazing depth on D while still having a hole up front to fill, maybe not an ideal situation but still better than ending up with neither.

It is a tough decision no doubt.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:22 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
So you rather we do what we've done every year since Streit left and spend time/assets finding another PP triggerman?

With Subs and Markie on our 1st unit, who in the bloody hell is going to run PP2?

Spacek and Gorges?

Pls go. Wiz + Markov is a no brainer.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:25 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
+1.
Our management team deciding to keep Spacek over Wisniewski explains why we will never take the next step.

Good GM's find ways to make things happen that benefit the team.

Very disappointing indeed.
I feel I should comment. There was no decision to keep Spacek over Wisniewski. I think Gauthier would be glad to retain Wisniewski if he could find a way to get rid of Spacek's contract. With Spacek's contract as an immovable object the choice is between Wisniewski and Markov, who is a higher priority. The budget isn't an elastic band.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:29 AM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I feel I should comment. There was no decision to keep Spacek over Wisniewski. I think Gauthier would be glad to retain Wisniewski if he could find a way to get rid of Spacek's contract. With Spacek's contract as an immovable object the choice is between Wisniewski and Markov, who is a higher priority. The budget isn't an elastic band.
There's no such thing as an immovable contract. If we wanted Spacek gone, we'd find a way. I have a feeling that PG lacks the initiative required to make that move, and as a result we'll be looking at another season of us spinning our wheels in mediocrity.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:33 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Sign Wiz. He wants to play in Mtl. Tired of us giving up picks for guys then letting them go.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Krnage

I would very happy if they resign Wiz

Old
06-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
So you rather we do what we've done every year since Streit left and spend time/assets finding another PP triggerman?

With Subs and Markie on our 1st unit, who in the bloody hell is going to run PP2?

Spacek and Gorges?

Pls go. Wiz + Markov is a no brainer.
If Markov and Subban are healthy we should have no issues finding somebody for the PP. For the 2nd PP we have Weber plus a guy like Yemelin who has pretty decent skills once he hits his stride.

You don't spend 5 mil on a player for 4 years because you want a strong #2 PP. It's like buying a $20,000 2nd hand car in case yours break down so you don't miss any work.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Maybe in their style of play (and even then), but :

Bieksa >> Wiz
Markov >> Erhoff

Old
06-17-2011, 07:30 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Although I love Markov and love everything he has done for the team, Im thinking the best thing may be to use the money that we would resign with, somewhere else
Resign Wiz for 4.5 mill and use Markovs money to sign Bieksa for 5.5 and we save a potential (500k-1mill which wudve been a raise for Markov)
Therefore we end up with something like this

Bieksa-Subban
Gill-Gorges
Emelin-Wiz
Weber
I think thats a pretty solid defensive unit right there. Im really hoping PG trades Spacek for anything at this point as his cap hit could really be used to get a Brooks Laich type player/top 6 forward. I also believe with our defensive depth-weber/emelin/diaz we dont have a need for Spacek
Wiz will get more than 4.5 and Bieksa will stay in Vancouver. Plan B?

Old
06-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Maybe in their style of play (and even then), but :

Bieksa >> Wiz
Markov >> Erhoff
Not convinced. Bieksa is as bad defensively than Wisniewski...and Wiz is better offensively.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If we can re-sign Wisniewski at 4.5 mil for 3-4 years, then it's a no brainer...you do it and try to find a way to move Spacek. I doubt we can re-sign him for a dime less than 5 mil, it's their chance to get a big 4-5 year contract and there are 4-5 teams needing top defensemen including Detroit, Toronto, Boston, Vancouver etc...only JUly 1st their price probably starts at 30 mil for 5 years.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Not convinced. Bieksa is as bad defensively than Wisniewski...and Wiz is better offensively.
Neither guy is "bad" defensively. Wisniewski is average, not a shutdown guy but can hold his own, can do the job on the 2nd pair. Bieksa is a bit above average and brings an edge.

Wisniewski has had a pretty gradual increase of his value...bieksa went from a salary dump earlier this year to a key piece, I think he could turn out to be a Redden/Souray type signing if a team pays 5.5-6 mil/year.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-17-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old
06-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Neither guy isw "bad" defensively. Wisniewski is average, not a shutdown guy but can hold his own, can do the job on the 2nd pair. Bieksa is a bit above average and brings an edge.

Wisniewski has had a pretty gradual increase of his value...bieksa went from a salary dump earlier this year to a key piece, I think he could turn out to be a Redden/Souray type signing if a team pays 5.5-6 mil/year.
He wont be as bad as redden and souray but I just cant imagine someone will give him that kind of money and expect to get their value out of it. He was average against the bruins so I dont know if hamhuis made him look good or what.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:29 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Honestly, they need to find out if they can keep him now or not. Trade his rights for 3rd or 4th at the draft. Tired of losing free agents for nothing.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Sign Wiz. He wants to play in Mtl. Tired of us giving up picks for guys then letting them go.
Exactly !

But I would like him to be as agressive as he was in Anaheim and Chicago.

He was kind of a softie with the Habs.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Spectaculard
On your knees, Lucy

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Exactly !

But I would like him to be as agressive as he was in Anaheim and Chicago.

He was kind of a softie with the Habs.
This always happens. Moen, Laraque, Wiz. Something about playing for this team seems to calm guys down.

Closed Thread